AuthorTopic: 🚛 Prometheus Rising  (Read 17124 times)

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🚛 Prometheus Rising
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 05:33:06 AM »
Kdog emailed me, so I figured I'd check in to see what's been shakin' at the Diner. 

Just a quick update on what I've been up to.  //

For the last two weeks I've been sitting at home making the minimum.  However they just sent out a company wide email talking about furloughs.  This because fuel delivery, which represents about 50% of KAG's business is down 30% due to the pandemic.  They are expecting it to get worse.  Specialty Products are also taking a hit, and that's my division.  Now I don't know what is going to happen.  I haven't heard if I'm getting furloughed or not.  I was supposed to start training on the 30th of this month for the admix position.  Now I have no idea.

LD,
Great to hear from you again. Good luck with KAG. Sounds like a far more agreeable deal that flatbedding. Please keep us posted on what comes next.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 07:03:31 AM »
Kdog emailed me, so I figured I'd check in to see what's been shakin' at the Diner. 

Just a quick update on what I've been up to.  //

For the last two weeks I've been sitting at home making the minimum.  However they just sent out a company wide email talking about furloughs.  This because fuel delivery, which represents about 50% of KAG's business is down 30% due to the pandemic.  They are expecting it to get worse.  Specialty Products are also taking a hit, and that's my division.  Now I don't know what is going to happen.  I haven't heard if I'm getting furloughed or not.  I was supposed to start training on the 30th of this month for the admix position.  Now I have no idea.

LD,
Great to hear from you again. Good luck with KAG. Sounds like a far more agreeable deal that flatbedding. Please keep us posted on what comes next.

Tanker is WAAAAY better than Flatbed.  Much less Wear & Tear on the body.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
Re: Prometheus Rising
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 07:12:48 AM »
Last week I drove to St Louis MS, Mauston WI, then back home.  There is definitely less people on the roadways.  Chicago was about half of the usual traffic.  Lighted sign messages in every state telling people to stay home.  Lots of people wearing masks and gloves.  I stayed in my truck all week in an attempt to isolate myself as much as possible. 

Friday I started training on the Admix deal.  We load somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 chemicals from totes into the multi-compartment tank.  There are five compartments ranging from 2100 gallons to 900 gallons.  After loading I drive to concrete plants and yards to deliver.  There are a couple of gas powered pumps under the trailer and we use them to pump off the load.  There is a 100 foot hose on a reel that we use to deliver the products. 

I think I'll like it.  Since we load, unload, and clean the tank ourselves, I'm never waiting on anyone but myself.  There are a lot of opportunities to fuck up.  It's important to stay vigilant with the details as mistakes are very costly.  It's pretty good job security thought.  After I'm trained up on this I become very valuable to KAG as I can pretty much do anything they do after this.  Cryogenics would be the only division I would need more training on.  I'm starting to think about making my way into management with KAG. 

Anyways, it's all pretty boring stuff to write about really.  But that's where I'm at. 

In other news we bought a little over an acre.  It was a cash deal.  Still waiting on my tax man.  That should be done any day now.  Next step is ordering our manufactured home.  Too bad it can't be a dome, but I have to live in the world that we have now.  Just turned 40.  I'd rather have money in my accounts then a nice home and no money.  I've got two boys to raise up and then try to figure out some type of retirement. 

Interestingly enough, the property that we bought sits behind an old boarded up Diner.  We're landlocked behind it (property has an easement).  Next to one side of us is a church cemetery.  Behind us is hundreds of acres of deer woods with a creek.  We are about a quarter of a mile from the Pacolet river. There is one neighbor to the other side.  We met her and she's nice enough.  She's been living there for 30 something years and knows the old man who's property we bought.  He lived on the land his entire life.  He sold cars and was apparently a drunk redneck.  Yesterday I hauled off 25 tires to the dump along with various other refuse.  There is still probably another 25 tires left.  The land is great though, just a few areas that were used as a personal dumping ground.  That's common in these little towns in the south. 

I'm looking to buy that old Diner that's in front of us.  He can't want much for it.  The neighbor knows how to get in touch with the owner.  He's another old man.  We're talking about using the space as a photography/bamboo studio.  I'm also interested in possibly turning it back into a Diner. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:15:43 AM by luciddreams »

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 07:34:47 AM »
Sounds great. Money in the bank living modestly, and being a valued crosstrained employee is a good place to be in the hard times ahead.
Cheers...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 07:35:54 AM »
Last week I drove to St Louis MS, Mauston WI, then back home.  There is definitely less people on the roadways.  Chicago was about half of the usual traffic.  Lighted sign messages in every state telling people to stay home.  Lots of people wearing masks and gloves.  I stayed in my truck all week in an attempt to isolate myself as much as possible. 

Friday I started training on the Admix deal.  We load somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 chemicals from totes into the multi-compartment tank.  There are five compartments ranging from 2100 gallons to 900 gallons.  After loading I drive to concrete plants and yards to deliver.  There are a couple of gas powered pumps under the trailer and we use them to pump off the load.  There is a 100 foot hose on a reel that we use to deliver the products. 

I think I'll like it.  Since we load, unload, and clean the tank ourselves, I'm never waiting on anyone but myself.  There are a lot of opportunities to fuck up.  It's important to stay vigilant with the details as mistakes are very costly.  It's pretty good job security thought.  After I'm trained up on this I become very valuable to KAG as I can pretty much do anything they do after this.  Cryogenics would be the only division I would need more training on.  I'm starting to think about making my way into management with KAG. 

Anyways, it's all pretty boring stuff to write about really.  But that's where I'm at. 

In other news we bought a little over an acre.  It was a cash deal.  Still waiting on my tax man.  That should be done any day now.  Next step is ordering our manufactured home.  Too bad it can't be a dome, but I have to live in the world that we have now.  Just turned 40.  I'd rather have money in my accounts then a nice home and no money.  I've got two boys to raise up and then try to figure out some type of retirement. 

Interestingly enough, the property that we bought sits behind an old boarded up Diner.  We're landlocked behind it (property has an easement).  Next to one side of us is a church cemetery.  Behind us is hundreds of acres of deer woods with a creek.  We are about a quarter of a mile from the Pacolet river. There is one neighbor to the other side.  We met her and she's nice enough.  She's been living there for 30 something years and knows the old man who's property we bought.  He lived on the land his entire life.  He sold cars and was apparently a drunk redneck.  Yesterday I hauled off 25 tires to the dump along with various other refuse.  There is still probably another 25 tires left.  The land is great though, just a few areas that were used as a personal dumping ground.  That's common in these little towns in the south. 

I'm looking to buy that old Diner that's in front of us.  He can't want much for it.  The neighbor knows how to get in touch with the owner.  He's another old man.  We're talking about using the space as a photography/bamboo studio.  I'm also interested in possibly turning it back into a Diner.

I'm not bored by it.

Good Newz you are getting the training desapite all the layoffs and bizness slow downs.

Can you send me the address of the property in a PM?  I wanna scope it out on Google Earth.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »
Sounds great. Money in the bank living modestly, and being a valued crosstrained employee is a good place to be in the hard times ahead.
Cheers...

I'm trying to position myself in such a way that I remain crucial to my employer.  KAG is the winning team in the tanker world.  They are pretty much the Walmart.  They've been buying up tanker companies left and right for a few years now. 

They are the third trucking company I have worked for, and hands down they are the best.  Everyone I have interacted with in support has always treated me with respect.  They pay what I'm owed.  They pay good as well.  For a big company it's very impressive how they handle their drivers.  If you do your job you don't hear anything from anybody until it's time to get your truck PM done. 

With KAG being involved in pretty much every type of tanker delivery it allows for lateral moves when necessary.  Which is what happened to me.  I've proven myself and so my manager looked out for me.  That's how I got more training and a raise rather than furloughed.  I don't plan to leave KAG until it's time to retire.  I've been in trucking for about two and a half years now.  I'm making $32 per hour with a $1500 weekly minimum guarantee.  It doesn't get any better than that in trucking.  Especially not for someone who not too long ago would still be considered a rookie in the industry. 

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 08:01:59 AM »
Glad to hear things are going so well. My best to GM and the boys.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 08:03:46 AM »
Glad to hear things are going so well. My best to GM and the boys.

Thanks Eddie.  I've been pretty lucky lately.  Hopefully my luck holds out. 

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 09:59:15 AM »
Cheers...

I'm trying to position myself in such a way that I remain crucial to my employer.  KAG is the winning team in the tanker world.  They are pretty much the Walmart.  They've been buying up tanker companies left and right for a few years now. 

They are the third trucking company I have worked for, and hands down they are the best.  Everyone I have interacted with in support has always treated me with respect.  They pay what I'm owed.  They pay good as well.  For a big company it's very impressive how they handle their drivers.  If you do your job you don't hear anything from anybody until it's time to get your truck PM done. 

With KAG being involved in pretty much every type of tanker delivery it allows for lateral moves when necessary.  Which is what happened to me.  I've proven myself and so my manager looked out for me.  That's how I got more training and a raise rather than furloughed.  I don't plan to leave KAG until it's time to retire.  I've been in trucking for about two and a half years now.  I'm making $32 per hour with a $1500 weekly minimum guarantee.  It doesn't get any better than that in trucking.  Especially not for someone who not too long ago would still be considered a rookie in the industry.

Sounds like you are doing great and have a good plan. Fantastic.
Always great to hear from you.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2020, 04:02:23 PM »
Cheers...

Sounds like you are doing great and have a good plan. Fantastic.
Always great to hear from you.

Thanks Surly.  I'll be sure to keep you guys informed.