AuthorTopic: Cut and paste with a snarky woof.  (Read 5317 times)

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Cut and paste with a snarky woof.
« on: June 03, 2019, 09:07:05 AM »
Donald Trump is like a 20th-century fascist, says Sadiq Khan

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/01/donald-trump-like-20th-century-fascist-says-sadiq-khan

London mayor hits out at US president before his state visit to Britain

Donald Trump and Sadiq Khan have been embroiled in a feud since 2016. Photograph: Reuters

The mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, has compared the language used by Donald Trump to rally his supporters to that of “the fascists of the 20th century” in an explosive intervention before the US president’s state visit to London that begins on Monday.

Writing in the Observer, Khan condemned the red-carpet treatment being afforded to Trump who, with his wife Melania, will be a guest of the Queen during his three-day stay, which is expected to provoke massive protests in the capital on Tuesday.

Khan said: “President Donald Trump is just one of the most egregious examples of a growing global threat. The far right is on the rise around the world, threatening our hard-won rights and freedoms and the values that have defined our liberal, democratic societies for more than 70 years.

“Viktor Orbán in Hungary, Matteo Salvini in Italy, Marine Le Pen in France and Nigel Farage here in the UK are using the same divisive tropes of the fascists of the 20th century to garner support, but with new sinister methods to deliver their message. And they are gaining ground and winning power and influence in places that would have been unthinkable just a few years ago.”

Khan, who has had a feud with Trump since becoming mayor in 2016, adds: “This is a man who also tried to exploit Londoners’ fears following a horrific terrorist attack on our city, amplified the tweets of a British far-right racist group, denounced as fake news the robust scientific evidence warning of the dangers of climate change, and is now trying to interfere shamelessly in the Conservative party leadership race by backing Boris Johnson because he believes it would enable him to gain an ally in Number 10 for his divisive agenda.”

On Saturday Trump defied diplomatic convention which dictates that leaders do not weigh in to the domestic politics of other nations, particularly ahead of visits, by backing Johnson to succeed Theresa May in an interview with the Sun. He also used the interview to describe the Duchess of Sussex, as “nasty”.

In another interview in the Sunday Times he said he would want “to know” Jeremy Corbyn before sharing American intelligence and suggested Nigel Farage negotiate with Brussels if the EU failed to give Britain what it wants.

Mel Stride, the newly appointed Commons leader, made clear his surprise at Trump’s comments, saying that while the president was entitled to his opinion, he would not be picking the next British prime minister.

Corbyn said: “President Trump’s attempt to decide who will be Britain’s next prime minister is an entirely unacceptable interference in our country’s democracy. The next prime minister should be chosen not by the US president, nor by 100,000 unrepresentative Conservative party members, but by the British people in a general election.”

Jo Swinson, deputy leader of the Liberal Democrats, said: “It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Donald Trump backs Boris, they’re cut from the same cloth. Boris Johnson is what you’d get if you sent Donald Trump to Eton.

“They’re both unqualified to lead, both revel in offending people and both represent the strain of nationalism and populism that we need a liberal movement to stand up to.”

In May 2016 Trump challenged Khan to an IQ test, after the mayor said the president’s views on Islam were “ignorant”. Then, following the terrorist attack on London Bridge and Borough market in 2017, the president accused Khan of “pathetic” behaviour. In July last year Trump said Khan had “done a very bad job on terrorism”.

Organisers of the protests on Tuesday say they will register their anger both against Trump and his wider views, including those on Brexit, which the US president has made clear he supports. Alena Ivanova, a campaign organiser for Another Europe is Possible, said: “Tuesday’s protests aren’t just about Trump, they’re about Trumpism – a politics of racism and bigotry. Trump is part of a global nationalist surge, and Brexit and its cheerleaders are the British franchise of it. Like Trump, Brexit is a threat to our basic rights and freedoms, and promises a future of division, despair and rightwing economics.”

At least 250,000 people are expected to turn out in central London at 11am, on a route between Trafalgar Square and Parliament Square, when Trump meets Theresa May in Downing Street.

Organisers of the rally claim that US officials have pressured the Metropolitan police to impose an unprecedented “exclusion zone” around Trump’s route to keep him at a distance from the public.

One plan is for a “cage” or “pen” to hold demonstrators on Whitehall about 70 metres from Downing Street to keep them out of earshot during Trump’s meeting with May.

“They get to choose who goes in and who goes out , which is a totally ridiculous proposition on our right to protest,” said Asad Rehman of the Stop Trump Coalition.

The giant “Trump baby” blimp is expected to be deployed in Trafalgar Square, but only if the fundraising page for charities “against the politics of hate and division” reaches £30,000, organisers say.

A six-metre-high cartoon blimp of Donald Trump was flown by protesters over Parliament Square last time the president visited London in 2018. Photograph: Matt Dunham/AP
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re to me.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
In May 2016 Trump challenged Khan to an IQ test, after the mayor said the president’s views on Islam were “ignorant”.

Anybody care to place a bet on who the winner will be?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:18:48 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Re to me.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 09:19:14 AM »
In May 2016 Trump challenged Khan to an IQ test, after the mayor said the president’s views on Islam were “ignorant”.

I'd love to get a hold of his SAT scores.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 09:46:29 AM »

RE

I'm sure you mean the originals.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:48:39 AM »

RE

I'm sure you mean the originals.

Yes, of course.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Cut and paste with a snarky woof.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:31:15 PM »

The following is cornucopian bullshit.

Scarcities are recyclable excuses for expanding role of government

http://www.vindy.com/news/2019/jun/13/scarcities-are-recyclable-excuses-for-ex/

WASHINGTON

Randolph Bourne (1886-1918) said, “War is the health of the state.” James Madison said, “War is in fact the true nurse of executive aggrandizement,” and the executive almost is the American state, Congress now being more theatrical than actual. Advocates of an ever-larger state, remembering Franklin Roosevelt’s first inaugural address (seeking “broad executive power to wage a war against the emergency, as great as the power that would be given to me if we were in fact invaded by a foreign foe”), declare “wars” on this and that (poverty, cancer, drugs, global warming, etc.).

Such declarations have become trite, but scarcities are recyclable excuses for expanding government: There are so many things that alarmists can be alarmed about possibly becoming scarce and therefore supposedly requiring government rationers. Because there is an inexhaustible, because renewable, supply of alarmists, Washington’s libertarian Cato Institute has created the Simon Abundance Index to refute them.

Famous bet

Its name honors the late Julian Simon, an economist who won a famous bet with Paul Ehrlich, the Stanford hysteric whose 1968 book “The Population Bomb” predicted that “hundreds of millions of people” would starve to death in the 1970s as population growth swamped agriculture production. Simon’s 1980 wager was that any five commodities that Ehrlich would pick would be cheaper in 1990. Ehrlich picked five metals. All were cheaper in 1990.

In 1972, in the extravagantly hyped and resoundingly refuted (by events) “Limits to Growth,” MIT computer modelers foresaw civilization collapsing because of “nonrenewable resource depletion.” The modelers extrapolated from the then-current use of 19 commodities and projected the exhaustion, before 2012, of the supply of 12 – aluminum, copper, gold, lead, mercury, molybdenum, natural gas, oil, silver, tin, tungsten and zinc. Forty years later, Bjorn Lomborg, the Danish academic and “skeptical environmentalist,” noted:

Because of technological innovations replacing mercury in batteries, dental fillings and thermometers, mercury consumption had plunged 98 percent, and its price 90 percent. Since 1970, when gold reserves were estimated at 10,980 tons, more than 81,000 tons had been mined and reserves were estimated at 51,000 tons. Since 1970, when known copper reserves were 280 million tons, about 400 million tons had been produced and reserves were estimated to be almost 700 million tons. Aluminum consumption had increased 16-fold since 1950 as the world consumed four times 1950’s known reserves. Known reserves could sustain current consumption for 177 years. And so on.

“Peak oil” has been exasperatingly (to eco-pessimists) elusive. In 1914, the U.S. government said oil reserves would be exhausted by 1924. In 1939, it said the world’s reserves would be gone in 13 years. In 1951, after oil fueled a global war and the postwar boom, the government again said the world had 13 years of proven reserves. By 1970, however, there were 612 billion barrels, and by 2006, after another 767 billion barrels had been pumped, there were estimated to be 1.2 trillion.

Along came fracking, which has illustrated one of Cato’s points: Unforeseen technologies continually alter the relationship between population growth (which is beneficial: people are, as Simon said, “the ultimate resource”) and resource availability. The Abundance Index emphasizes “time price” (the amount of time required to earn the price of items) and the price elasticity of population (PEP), which measures the “sensitivity of resource availability to population growth.” Cato’s Abundance Index, covering 50 commodities, finds that between 1980 and 2018:

The average time price of the commodities fell 72.3 percent. The time it took to earn enough to buy one unit in the basket of commodities in 1980 bought 3.62 units in 2018. The compounded growth rate of abundance means that the affordability of the basket of commodities doubles every 20.49 years. According to the PEP metric, since 1980 “every additional human being born on our planet appears to have made resources proportionately more plentiful for the rest of us.”

Growth of abundance

Cato’s Abundance Index (measured with global prices relative to average global GDP per capita per hour) indicates this: The growth of abundance is highly probable because the fecundity of the future is almost certain. But the rate of growth is unpredictable because of government’s willingness to expedite rather than regulate change.

Many people who want to stampede a panicked public into expanding government’s micromanagement of everything have forgotten Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than 10 years hence but no sooner than five years away – soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Washington Post Writers Group

This is what power buys when they can't get it for free which they usually can.  Bullshit.  Power knows a new crop of corn-pone is always coming along to replace what the grim reaper takes away so their bullshit will never end.  How many hectares are we at now per person?  The tropics will rise up and take what the tar sands take away very soon.  Boom and bust and in every boom news of the impending bust is always suppressed.  This time the bust is going to be bigger than any seen ever before.  Unless perhaps you were a Jew in Europe in WWII.  Or a Cambodian in Kampuchea.  Or a  ...

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 01:17:30 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/olRW2kh1y3w" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/olRW2kh1y3w</a>

Trumps re-framing of humanitarian crises into acts of terrorism is diabolical.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 01:28:18 PM »

I dedicate this to Surly1.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:56:04 PM by K-Dog »

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Jeopardy Question:
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2019, 12:00:11 AM »
Jeopardy Question:

The product of gay sex between Barack Obama and this guy.  Who would be king of Venezuela?

What is ...........
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:08:27 AM by K-Dog »

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Name this tune. Who said these phrases:
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 09:45:24 AM »
I am confident
I run scared
I am a railroad guy
I am a Corvette guy
I am a coal miner
I am a politician
I understand
I have no empathy
I like kids more than pizza
I love ice cream
I am a hot commodity
I am a family man
I am not a womanizer
I am comfortable with women marrying women
I do not support gay marriage
I am quite conservative
I am a Democrat
I have the most progressive record
I like Dick Cheney
I have no intention of running for president
I am running for president
I am a student of history
I am not prognosticating
I see the future
I am a gaffe machine
I am sorry
I am not sorry
Pretend you like me

Hint:  Not Stalin.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Cut and paste with a snarky woof.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNnaED7mw30" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KNnaED7mw30</a>

Interview with the editor of Harpers Magazine.  Pretty good.

Populism is the gut reaction to doom.  A sense that something is wrong.  A sense that some legs need to be broken.  Limits were reached.  Then to maintain hierarchy and unequal distribution of stuff ever larger orgs expanded over ever larger trade areas.  Falling MROMI (Money Returned On Money Invested) made it happen.  Money Returned On Money Invested is the exact mathematical relationship that EROEI is.  As oil costs too much to get capitalism fails.  Then the economy is gone.  In forty years an octopus of tyranny swept across the globe.  Globalization first, then the internet and then with one click everybody got lonely at once.

American economy won't simply fail.  It will be gone.

The internet arrived.  The printed word went tranny.  Fluid and ephemeral meaning became a dream.

The witch hunts have just begun.  Knocked to the curb by falling towers the spice of reason, was out of season.  Terror changed America as we knew it but it was only fear.  Asteroid falling on your head, unlikely.  Being killed by a terrorist, more likely.  Being struck by lighting, most likely.  That is the way it rolls.

Men with box-cutters or entire nations demanding we take millions of climate refugees or else.  Which would you like to have?

Putting a lock on a door (which can allow a depressed pilot to commit group suicide and has) was an easy fix.  A band aid to stop a raid but hope the pilot keeps getting laid.  Be not afraid.  Climate refugees * arrive in the midst of a Wall Street crash, Icing on the cake.  We crash, they dash, and we all get a rash.

We shall live in interesting times.

* For the purposes of this comment the arrival of refugees that step American population by 25% is a given fact of reality.  One of them want to use the remote on your TV and has cooked you some goat.  It is all good.  Today you eat.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Name this tune. Who said these phrases:
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 02:13:20 PM »
I am confident
I run scared
I am a railroad guy
I am a Corvette guy
I am a coal miner
I am a politician
I understand
I have no empathy
I love ice cream
I am a hot commodity
I am a family man
I am not a womanizer
I am quite conservative
I am a Democrat
I like Dick Cheney
I am not prognosticating
I see the future
I am a gaffe machine
I am sorry
I am not sorry
Pretend you like me

Oooh, I know. I know! Pick me!
I Contain Platitudes....
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 09:37:21 PM »

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 09:40:25 PM »
I am confident
I run scared
I am a railroad guy
I am a Corvette guy
I am a coal miner
I am a politician
I understand
I have no empathy
I love ice cream
I am a hot commodity
I am a family man
I am not a womanizer
I am quite conservative
I am a Democrat
I like Dick Cheney
I am not prognosticating
I see the future
I am a gaffe machine
I am sorry
I am not sorry
Pretend you like me

Oooh, I know. I know! Pick me!
I Contain Platitudes....

But it has to be a Jeopardy answer.

Who is Biden.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 01:05:33 AM »
I am confident
I run scared
I am a railroad guy
I am a Corvette guy
I am a coal miner
I am a politician