AuthorTopic: Cut and paste with a snarky woof.  (Read 6129 times)

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Cut and paste with a snarky woof.
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 05:26:46 PM »

October 31, 2019
Cortinas de humo
"When a society is collapsing, all it can really do is beat off"--Horace J. Hardmember IV

It means smokescreens, which is what politics in the US and UK now boil down to. America beat off for 2 years with the Mueller Report--which came to nothing--and is now jerking off with impeachment, which will give us another year of meaningless distraction. It's little more than theater: party lines are so hard these days, that there is abs. no chance Trumpi will be convicted by the Senate (which requires a 2/3 vote). In addition, the impeachment--which probably will happen--can only serve to energize Trumpo's base, and win him the election for a second term. From the viewpoint of a declinist, what could be better? Trumpaloni has done a huge amount of damage since January 2017, and I believe we can look forward to even greater damage during his 2nd term. And then, god willing, he'll cancel the 2024 election and declare himself president for life. OK by me, amigos. So there's nothing to worry about, and only one thing to remember: Brexit, Schmexit. Also: Opa!

-mb

https://morrisberman.blogspot.com/
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Cut and paste with a snarky woof.
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 07:03:53 PM »

October 31, 2019
Cortinas de humo
"When a society is collapsing, all it can really do is beat off"--Horace J. Hardmember IV

It means smokescreens, which is what politics in the US and UK now boil down to. America beat off for 2 years with the Mueller Report--which came to nothing--and is now jerking off with impeachment, which will give us another year of meaningless distraction. It's little more than theater: party lines are so hard these days, that there is abs. no chance Trumpi will be convicted by the Senate (which requires a 2/3 vote). In addition, the impeachment--which probably will happen--can only serve to energize Trumpo's base, and win him the election for a second term. From the viewpoint of a declinist, what could be better? Trumpaloni has done a huge amount of damage since January 2017, and I believe we can look forward to even greater damage during his 2nd term. And then, god willing, he'll cancel the 2024 election and declare himself president for life. OK by me, amigos. So there's nothing to worry about, and only one thing to remember: Brexit, Schmexit. Also: Opa!

-mb

https://morrisberman.blogspot.com/

Well, Brexit or No Brexit, Impeachment or No Impeachment, Collapse will progress along here either way.

In both cases however, the trajectory is different depending which side wins.

As for Morris, I wouldn't bet a Plugged Nickel for his safety and well-being in Old Mejico as this shitstorm goes down.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Cut and paste with a snarky woof.
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2019, 06:31:49 PM »
Cut and paste.  It works better this way since it will take longer to roll off to oblivion (if I take the position it is not already there which I do not.) 

Knarf will have posted ten times before I finish writing this.

What is normal for the spider is dysfunctional for the fly.
Professor Jem Bendell writes on page 2 in the abstract portion of his Dec 2018 updated paper, Deep Adaptation: A Map for Navigating ClimateTragedy, “of an inevitable near-term social collapse due to climate change.” Then Bendell writes on page 3 in the introduction portion of the same paper “of a social collapse triggered by an environmental catastrophe,”.

The logic Bendell demonstrates here appears that of climate change and environmental catastrophe preceding, and therefore forming the precondition for, social collapse. This logic would seem to indicate that catastrophe would need to be inevitable for collapse to be probable.

Yet, on page 19 of this paper Bendell states, “I have chosen to interpret the information as indicating inevitable collapse, probable catastrophe and possible extinction.” This presents an opportunity to reform the logic supporting his interpretation.

Social collapse may well be inevitable due to deeper issues of which environmental catastrophe may also be symptomatic. The first issue that comes to mind is the human global Ecological Footprint Earth overshoot. This strongly correlates with the Club of Rome 1972 publication of, The Limits to Growth, edited by Donella Meadows.

The Global Footprint Network, an independent think tank founded in 2003, calculates the Ecological Footprint and bio-capacity of more than 200 countries and territories from 1961 to the present based on up to 15,000 data points. These calculations evaluate the capacity of the Earth to restore the resources consumed within a one year time period.

For example, the capacity of the Earth to replenish fresh water aquifers, rebuild fertile soil and recycle CO2 from the atmosphere is evaluated against human fresh water use, soil depletion and atmospheric CO2 produced from burning fossil fuels. The Global Footprint Network then determines when during the year human activity overshoots the capacity of the Earth to restore the consumed resources. In 2019, Earth Overshoot Day was July 29, the earliest ever.

This overconsumption of resources is enabled by drawing on stores accumulated over millennia. These stores are the resources Nature itself employs to restore the resources consumed. These stores may be understood as a goose who lays golden eggs, the golden eggs representing the restored resources available for human use each year.

Humanity, in exceeding the capacity of the Earth to restore resources, is killing the goose incrementally since the 1970s. This view is validated by the computer models used for the Club of Rome publication. While this may resemble the earlier conclusions of Malthus and Hobbs, notice that the Club of Rome and The Global Footprint Network base their work on global empirical data and system computer modeling rather than philosophical conclusions subject to personal biases.

Today through major media outlets we can also observe the widespread early evidence of global social collapse. Concurrent with global environmental degradation we can also witness the heightened fragility of the global financialization of capitalism exposed to the increasing threats of ethno-nationalism to trade and migration. This correlation does not necessarily indicate causation, as many others seem to prematurely conclude.

Rather, all these effects seem symptomatic of an underlying psychology. This underlying psychology generates behavior that embodies cognitive dissonance and therefore evidence of dysfunction. This dysfunction then becomes destructive to human society through internecine conflict and environmental destruction.

Sigmund Freud Opened a Door to Understanding
In letters written during 1931 &1932, Einstein queried Freud, “Why War?” Freud’s answer was grounded in his delineation of the conflict between “Eros” and “Thanatos”, the life instinct and the death instinct. This may be the most accessible explication of the core of Freud’s approach. This clearly reveals the normal psycho-pathology of human nature.

This Freudian approach carried forward into the construct of Melanie Klein, W.R. Bion and the Tavistock tradition. The primitive psychotic defenses identified by Melanie Klein as ‘innate/instinctive’ (Klein, 1952) and developed by Bion in his, Experiences in Groups, (Bion, 1961) lay unchallenged at the core of the Tavistock paradigm.

The Tavistock paradigm has been propagated globally to noteworthy institutions such as the A.K. Rice Institute for the Study of Social Systems at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the Brunel Institute of Organisation and Social Studies, National School of Government, Uxbridge (Middlesex) UK.

The evidence seems to indicate a near universal mental state assuming unlimited opportunity for growth, inexhaustible resources and an endless capacity for Earth to absorb waste products. This mental state now comes into direct conflict with paranoid-schizoid defenses emerging from the projection of an alter generated by a psychological split. These mental states are exhaustively documented and widely examined in professional psychology and psychoanalytic literature.

These mental states have long been considered normal for humanity. Freud, Klein, Bion and many others accepted these mental states as essential to human beings. These mental states provide the basis of the understanding and manipulation of both individuals and crowds as exemplified in the personalities and work of Gustave Le Bon, Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin and Edward Bernays.

While the normality of these mental states, now evident in dysfunctional conflict, has long gone unchallenged and now seems enshrined in apparently unassailable intellectual cannon, there is also advanced theory supported by cultural anthropological, historical and contemporary medical evidence. This advanced theory suggests that humanity can develop beyond its normal dysfunction.

This advanced theory relies upon evidence showing that these mental states producing the normal human dysfunction are learned rather than being hardwired into the human psyche. Since they are learned, they are therefore accessible to analysis and modification.

The entirety of existent human society has been built upon the normal dysfunction, the normal psycho-pathology, of human individuals and crowds. For this reason, social collapse is inevitable. Society will either collapse tragically as a result of its normal psycho-pathology or collapse when intentionally restructured somewhat elegantly and gracefully in the nick of time.

It will only be from the resolution of the question of the nature of social collapse that we will be able to understand if humanity faces probable catastrophe and possible extinction. We can perhaps yet manage the collapse of business-as-usual in a way as to avoid the worst case scenarios. But our window of opportunity to do so is rapidly closing.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-normal-dysfunctional-social-collapse-inevitable-jay-greathouse

So I went to linked in and left this:

Interesting.   A near universal mental state assuming unlimited opportunity for growth, inexhaustible resources and an endless capacity for Earth to absorb waste products is exactly the mindset Linked in wants to promote in all its Job Applicants. 

I agree that a planet-eater mental state is entirely cultural as there are cultures which have respected taboos before.  That is actually more the norm but a culture such as ours which is defined by endless competition and shallow values must inevitably collapse.  It is in the math.

The requirement to have a positive attitude, an essential aspect of the cultural experience of looking for work in America  stops all thought of dealing with social collapse making the required character attribute fatal.

Who would you hire ?

applicant A:  - I want to be part of winning team.

applicant B:  - I want to be part of a team that rises to the challenges it faces.

Applicant B upon examination is actually the better choice but for most people A gets the job and Linked-In is here to help make that happen IMHO.  B lacks the winning attitude.  Or it upon first impression, appears that way.

The physics of biosphere change will trigger social breakdown.  It is not an optional choice as you asserted in paragraph three.  Jem Bendell as do I, want people to come to their own conclusions regarding the facts of the biosphere.  We know we will be ignored by people who disagree with our personal interpretations.  All such people do is want to argue and Jem has better things to do with his time than defend his careful considered points of view with people who's only intent is to discredit him.

I have a link to an interesting video where Jem explains himself in the sidebar of my own website.

https://chasingthesquirrel.com/

And while I am here and since this is Linked in:  Does anyone want to hire a Radical Environmentalist Web developer?  I'm looking for work and I have other skills too.

I suspect Linked-In will shit can it quick.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 06:57:46 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.