PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> How I Spent My (Winter, Spring, and) Summer Vacation

AuthorTopic: How I Spent My (Winter, Spring, and) Summer Vacation  (Read 808 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
How I Spent My (Winter, Spring, and) Summer Vacation
« on: June 23, 2019, 08:16:20 AM »
Much of my non-day-job time and energy for the past 6 months has gone into the objects you see here. (I know, it doesn't look like much, lol.)

The dock, modest though it is, has a whole pallet more concrete around the pier bases, and significant (now) submerged bracing, an underwater bench, new underwater steps for swimmers, and has been squared and plumbed (not perfectly), had warped decking  trued (also not perfect)  and had the moldings added.

The boat lift, which had the bow-supporting crossmember broken by the weight of water in the (formerly neglected) boat, has been repaired. Because the water was lowered, I did not know if I got the height of the cradle low enough to work until this morning. It fits perfectly, but I had to add a couple of concrete blocks to the cantilevered cradle to sink it with the additional new wood I added.

The boat was recovered from the flood in late October. I vacillated on restoring it or just using it as is, but now I think it looks great and it was well worth it.
At age 63 my overwhelming urge is to say ,"Fuck it .....It'll outlast me and probably modern civilization too, so why bother?....but the effort was a labor of love, and I learned how to paint a boat with a roller, which works pretty well.

image1 9 copy
image1 9 copy

Wylie says, " Would you please put that iPad down and throw me a stick?"
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How I Spent My (Winter, Spring, and) Summer Vacation
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 08:31:47 AM »
The eV Torqueedo was not able to be made to work, although it might be just a plug problem (bent pins). The battery does not seem dead.  I need to fool around with it some more, but since it was less than great on battery life, I decided to replace it anyway . I thought about propane, which seems great, but the one company who makes the little sailboat kickers in propane version does not get good reviews for quality.

So I got this 4 stroke 2.5hp Suzuki.. I was surprised to see it requires a 10 hour break-in at low rpms. (possibly years of use for me) so I stuck it in a garbage can and let it run in the driveway last night until it ran through a couple of tanks of gas. I was asleep when it quit, but I think I probably ran it 6 hours, and now it's running some more at the dock. I should have it properly broken in today..It has a sticker that claims low emissions. It uses so little gas that you don't need a pony tank. I will carry a 2 gallon can when I sail and I should never have a fuel shortage.

Captain Bligh sailed around the Horn of Africa in a boat about like this one, and Shacketon's crew had boats of this size that they pulled over the ice with dog and man power.

In about 1960, an intrepid Japanese guy sailed a slightly smaller homemade version of a boat of this basic design across the Pacific, and it sits today in the Maritime Museum in San Francisco.

image1 6
image1 6
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 10:43:14 AM by Eddie »

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 10:15:41 PM »
That's a very nice project!
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 08:34:18 AM »
It's almost too hot to rig the sailboat. But I got up early and took the Donzi out for a spin. it has decided to run flawlessly, after a couple seasons of having an annoying short in the key circuit that sometimes caused it to die when it took a hard landing off a boat wake I fiddled with the key switch.......seems to have fixed it, at least temporarily.

I got a little airborne and lost my hat, but I got it back. My speedo is broken, and I have a GPS, but it's hard to look at it and drive at the same time. I'd estimate top speed around 50mph these days, which is fast enough for me, although the boat should probably run at least 70 if it were tuned better.

Time passes quickly these days. My boat, made in '96, is almost an antique now. It still always gets compliments at the take-out, even though the stripes need to be repainted.  Maybe my next paint job.

image1 11
image1 11
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:17:35 AM by Eddie »