PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 🚚 Doomstea Diner Micro-Food Truck v.1.0 - First Look

AuthorTopic: 🚚 Doomstea Diner Micro-Food Truck v.1.0 - First Look  (Read 2974 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🚚 Doomstea Diner Micro-Food Truck v.1.0 - First Look
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:19:26 AM »
Due to an ongoing conversation over on Knarf's Knewz, I was forced to break this newz before it's fully Ready for Prime Time.

The Doomstead Diner is going REAL, and Goin' Mobile!  ;D .  The Crippled Cook of Collapse is taking the Show on the Road!  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SKX6GOmTGBA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SKX6GOmTGBA</a>

What you see here is the first version of the Micro-Food Truck, which I am assembling from one of my Ewz.  All-Electric, running on 36V.

There are substantial improvements in the works, got tons of stuff ordered from Bezos, but I had to do some testing of the system first.  It will take some time to get fully ready, since first off I gotta make a trip down to Seattle to OK the shipment of the SUN Monument/Tombstone off to it's Eternal Resting Place in Springfield,Mo.  Besides that, I'm not the fastest with tools anymore.  LOL.

Hopefully, this puts to rest any further accusations that I am "all talk".  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZV3uUBdx4KQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZV3uUBdx4KQ</a>

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🚚 Diner Micro-Food Truck: Parking Lot Potlach Coming Attractions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:19:10 AM »
Since the Cat is Out of the Bag on the Doomstead Diner Micro-Food Truck, I decided to accelerate the timeline here on getting underway and did my first "al fresco" cook for my Community yesterday.  The dish served up was Salmon Teriyaki, cooked up with freshly caught Alaska Sockeye Salmon gifted to me by a neighbor who I had previously shared the Grilled Mediterranean Salmon I cooked up for the Diner 2019 Summer Solstice Celebration (still ongoing here on the Diner).

Here's the Salmon prior to getting cooked up, with SaVANnah in the background.  Doesn't that look SCRUMPTIOUS?  Only really FRESH Salmon looks like this.

click the pic to enlarge
Salmon Savannah
Salmon Savannah

I have shared my food on many occasions with other residents of my Community, but this was the first time I went out publicly in my decrepit state of physical health to cook al fresco for anyone who cared to share in the food.  I was motivated to do this by Negative Waves Inside the Diner from the Usual Suspects, who have been a constant source of problems and impediments in terms of getting the SUN Foundation up and running.  Just ONCE I would like to hear "WOW RE! GREAT IDEA! How can I help?" rather than "Here's why what you are trying to do won't work." or "You are Don Quixote tilting at Windmills."  But nooooooo.  All I ever get is a bunch of negative waves and no help whatsoever.  It's pretty tough to get an organization going when nobody wants to actually help you with the project.  A decrepit cripple with one foot in the grave already working by himself from the Last Great Frontier of Alaska can only do so much, you know.

All GOOD NEWZ on this first excursion out to do some Food Sharing and Potlach.  First off, fabulous weather in the 70sF which is a little warm for me but I was sitting in the shade to cook so OK.  Second, all the FEAR MONGERING by the Negative Waves people did not come to pass, I did not get fined, I did not get arrested, I did not get jailed, and Bubba is not raping me in the Alaska State Prison, at least as of yet. lol.  The notion that I am not aware of food service regulations and of the hoops you are supposed to jump through by Da Goobermint to serve up some food is truly a slap in the face to me, it's preposterous.  First of all, I was a professional chef.  Second I write on these topics all the time and have published numerous articles from others on Food Licensing problems for vendors in places like NY Shitty, where this can be a fucking a nightmare.  3rd, I'm a goddamn Collapse Professional, I make it my bizness to understand these problems and figure out work-arounds to them, if possible.  4th, I don't do anything I am not fully prepared to do, even when I just go camping I'm prepped to handle it if SHTF Day happens to arrive while out on the camping trip. 5th, I can buy a Mobile Food Truck Vendor license here on the Last Great Frontier at a reasonable price, this is not New York Shity. But I bet I don't have to do it, and I'll risk the fine and see what happens.  If the Food Gestapo do show up, I'll do the Full Cripple Act, plead ignorance and I bet I just get a warning.

On the outcomes end, the Salmon came out FANTASTIC, it even got the Seal of Approval from the kids, who not only ate it but came back for Seconds.  You know your food is good if kids, particularly of this age will eat it.  If they don't like it at best they refuse to eat more, or more commonly they spit it out. lol.  Adults will lie to you and say it's GREAT, when it really sucks and they are just trying to be polite.  Unbelievably to me, people even do this at expensive restaurants, where when the Maitre d' comes over and asks you how the food was they say "Oh it was great" and then dutifully pay they overpriced bill.  Then, as soon as he walks away, they say to their dinner partner "BLECCCHH! Total DOGSHIT!  I'm never coming here again". lol.  When I get dogshit food at a restaurant and the waiter or matre d' asks me how it was, I tell him/her EXACTLY how I though it was, in complete detail.  lol.  I recently did this doing a Restaurant Review at one of the more expensive restaurants in the valley trying their Prime Rib, and the Maitre d' was on the verge of a Heart Attack.  lol.  To their credit though, the Seafood Diablo dish was excellent.  Hven't edited or published that vid yet though, too much else ongoing.

Resultant from this first excursion out I ALSO got gifted yet ANOTHER 2 lbs of Salmon fillet, roughly a $30 value at current prices here on the last frontier, although this fillet is Sashimi Quality and would go for quite a bit more nicely sliced up raw.  By the end of the week no matter how many different preparations I do, everybody is going to be sick of eating Salmon, even me.  Next week, no fish, no matter how many more fillets people give me.  It will go in the chest freezer for July 4th or something.

Anyhow, here is a Trailer/Snippet from yesterday's first Al Freso Cook for the Diner Micro-Food Truck Project.  Now, does anyone actually want to HELP me here with this, or am I just going to get more Negative Waves?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJ-JVY15kcU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WJ-JVY15kcU</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🚚 Diner Micro-Food Truck: Parking Lot Potlach Coming Attractions
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 07:49:46 PM »
Since the Cat is Out of the Bag on the Doomstead Diner Micro-Food Truck, I decided to accelerate the timeline here on getting underway and did my first "al fresco" cook for my Community yesterday. 

The notion that I am not aware of food service regulations and of the hoops you are supposed to jump through by Da Goobermint to serve up some food is truly a slap in the face to me, it's preposterous.  First of all, I was a professional chef.  Second I write on these topics all the time and have published numerous articles from others on Food Licensing problems for vendors in places like NY Shitty, where this can be a fucking a nightmare.  3rd, I'm a goddamn Collapse Professional, I make it my bizness to understand these problems and figure out work-arounds to them, if possible.  4th, I don't do anything I am not fully prepared to do, even when I just go camping I'm prepped to handle it if SHTF Day happens to arrive while out on the camping trip. 5th, I can buy a Mobile Food Truck Vendor license here on the Last Great Frontier at a reasonable price, this is not New York Shity. But I bet I don't have to do it, and I'll risk the fine and see what happens.  If the Food Gestapo do show up, I'll do the Full Cripple Act, plead ignorance and I bet I just get a warning.

//

Anyhow, here is a Trailer/Snippet from yesterday's first Al Freso Cook for the Diner Micro-Food Truck Project.  Now, does anyone actually want to HELP me here with this, or am I just going to get more Negative Waves?
RE

I find it remarkable that someone who cites genuine concern for your safety and well being is attributed "negative waves." Entities like Food Not Bombs here in Norfolk, and other do-gooder orgs all across the country, in articles posted in this very forum, have been harassed out of business by cops representing city authorities intent on keeping the hungry hungry. And by city councils intent on immisirating the homeless, or better yet, making conditions so unbearable that they move to the next city.

Sorry you find yourself so insulted. However, in my experience the cops don't care whether you are Paul Prudhomme old Peter Pudpuller if you are feeding the homeless. Likewise, they won't care whether you are an esteemed Collapse Professional, blogger, podcaster or a world-class contrarian crank who is so addled he can no longer tell friend from foe if they decide to Make an Example of you. Of course, in your defense you offer "the Full Cripple Act," in which you plead ignorance and just get a warning." That should work just fine in Alaska.

You ask whether anyone wants to help, or just keep offering negative waves. Allow me to suggest you take as little of your ever-abundant advice and try more honey than vinegar. Since you are doing this on the ground in Alaska, what sort of assistance are you seeking, sweet-talker?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:42:13 AM by Surly1 »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:00:33 PM »
in your defense you offer "the Full Cripple Act," in which you plead ignorance and just get a warning." That should work just fine in Alaska.

I will let you know if & when it fails.  I think they'll give me a phone call.

Anyhow, before I bring it out on the road full blast, I'll probably buy the Food Truck license.  As you note, AK is not NY or VA or WA.  So far I haven't heard of any food distribution people getting rousted here.

You ask whether anyone wants to help, or just keep offering negative waves. Allow me to suggest you take as little of your ever-abundant advice and try more honey than vinegar. Since you are doing this on the ground in Alaska, what sort of assistance are you seeking, sweet-talker?

Honey has never worked on the Diner.

Advertizing, Promotion, Technical Assistance on building stuff, money of courseare all possibilities.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:53:07 AM »
in your defense you offer "the Full Cripple Act," in which you plead ignorance and just get a warning." That should work just fine in Alaska.

I will let you know if & when it fails.  I think they'll give me a phone call.

Anyhow, before I bring it out on the road full blast, I'll probably buy the Food Truck license.  As you note, AK is not NY or VA or WA.  So far I haven't heard of any food distribution people getting rousted here.

The License should address most concerns. A piece of paper waved aloft in the air or posted prominently on y0ur cripple wagon should go far to keep the heat satisfied. The fact that you are giving food away in that case rather than selling it shouldn't be anyone else's issue.

Honey has never worked on the Diner.

Advertizing, Promotion, Technical Assistance on building stuff, money of courseare all possibilities.

RE

I was wondering how you were going to raise awareness about this effort, and how you were going to deal with it if the response became so great you were overwhelmed with hungry folks.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 02:02:48 AM »
I was wondering how you were going to raise awareness about this effort, and how you were going to deal with it if the response became so great you were overwhelmed with hungry folks.

As with the Diner, I'll cross the "too popular" bridge when I get there.  It's nowhere on the horizon at the moment.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🚚 Diner Micro-Food Truck: Today's Feature - Instapot Brisket
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 07:59:24 AM »
For today's Al Fresco cook in the Potlach Parking lot, I'm taking a much needed BREAK from Salmon!  As much as I love those Pink Fishies, 3 days in a row even with different preparations is enough for me!

It's not all going to be done in the Potlach Parking Lot, although it could be.  I'm going to Instapot it inside the digs and do the finish on the electric grill out in the parking lot and do the slicing there.  Less equipment to haul outside.  I'm trying a new RE Original Recipe for this, I'll let you know how it comes out and what the reviews were like.

Hopefully, I can get it to look something like this (different recipe though):

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I think this was the best one yet, surpassed the Mediterranean Salmon and the Salmon Teriyaki!  Got a nice Crispy Skin from the Electric Grill and the flavor was AMAZING.  Flesh came out nice and moist and juicy too!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hX80MGubDBc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hX80MGubDBc</a>

Working on the Brisket now for today's PPL offering.  Smells GREAT in the Cooking Zone Kitchen! 😋

RE 
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🚚 Doomstea Diner Micro-Food Truck v.1.0 - First Look
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 05:04:11 PM »
Looks very good. Nice!
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 05:28:55 PM »
Looks very good. Nice!

Did you watch either of the vids?  They're short.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 05:35:09 PM »
Not yet. I will. Promise.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 05:38:37 PM »
Not yet. I will. Promise.

I talk about the planning going into this, the methods, bugout issues etc on them besides cooking the food.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »
Looks like fun, anyway. Glad you feel like doing it. Looks like nice weather in Palmer too.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2019, 07:31:55 AM »
Looks like fun, anyway. Glad you feel like doing it. Looks like nice weather in Palmer too.

The purpose of the project is not to have fun.  It is to help raise awareness of the problems we all collectively face and to help alleviate hunger in the most vulnerable population through direct action.  Given my choice, I'd rather be sailing.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🚚 Diner Micro-Food Truck - Heading out to 4th of July Parade
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »
Doing the final preparations for the Doomstead Diner Mobile Food Truck's first excursion out of the complex for a Food Potlach at the Wasilla 4th of July Parade.   :icon_sunny: Assuming all goes well of course and my Cripple Helper shows up.  She didn't show for the Palmer Colony Days Parade so I missed that one this year (again).  I wasn't ready to do the Food Truck thing then anyhow, I was just going to shoot a video.

It's another short one, just 5 minutes.  I didn't do any production on this one, it's just the Intro.  I talk some in this one about Food Truck licensing as well as methods and the overall technique I am working up.  It's coming together very nicely.  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WsbsuPKUIX4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WsbsuPKUIX4</a>

RE
"the Crippled Cook of Collapse 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 01:11:16 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can