PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 🚚 Doomstea Diner Micro-Food Truck v.1.0 - First Look

AuthorTopic: 🚚 Doomstea Diner Micro-Food Truck v.1.0 - First Look  (Read 3443 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🚚 Diner Micro-Food Truck - Heading out to 4th of July Parade
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
Doing the final preparations for the Doomstead Diner Mobile Food Truck's first excursion out of the complex for a Food Potlach at the Wasilla 4th of July Parade.   
]RE
"the Crippled Cook of Collapse 

Inquiring minds want to know how it went today?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: 🚚 Diner Micro-Food Truck - Heading out to 4th of July Parade
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2019, 08:52:47 PM »
Doing the final preparations for the Doomstead Diner Mobile Food Truck's first excursion out of the complex for a Food Potlach at the Wasilla 4th of July Parade.   
]RE
"the Crippled Cook of Collapse 

Inquiring minds want to know how it went today?

A short report will come a bit later tonight.  I'm still recovering from the day's adventure and last night's cooking and prepping marathon.  I got like 2 hours of fucking sleep last night.  I'm totally wiped.  I actually fell asleep in my office chair shortly after posting the earthquake report and Roland ("Master of Disaster") Emmerich's CGI conception of  the BIG ONE hitting LA in his "2012" film.  It also remains fucking SCORCHING HOT here on the Last Great Frontier (for Alaska), and the hot weather absolutely kills me.  Even if I wasn't a Cripple with one foot in the grave already, with a 4C rise I would be one of the first Homo Saps on his way to the Great Beyond.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🚚 Diner Micro-Food Truck - Brisket Today, Chili Dogs Tomorrow
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 07:51:48 AM »
Here's the Intro for the final Warm-Up cook for July 4th, done on July 2nd and featuring Brisket with a new recipe.  Made some tweaks on the spices and added a little more salt & pepper.  Definite improvemnt over the last brisket.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fn-TuBY_29Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Fn-TuBY_29Y</a>

July 4th Menu featured RE's World Famous (or soon to be) Chili Dogs and Cheeseburgers, traditional Independence Day Foods.  Besides, my Chili has been one of my biggest hits so far at the digs.  Most people are like little kids when it comes to food; they like best stuff which is familiar to them.

Here's a pic of one of the ACTUAL July 4th RE Chili Dogs, from yesterday's 1st Remote Potlach Food Give Away at the Independence Day parade:

click the pic to enlarge
RE Chili Dog
RE Chili Dog

Spoiler Alert! The Virgin Remote at the Parade went awesome well, with none of the predicted bad stuff ocurring.  I also managed to not crash the Ewz while cruising the Parade route.  :icon_sunny:  A full report should be out for the Sunday Brunch article this week.

RE

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 08:15:21 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🚚 Feeding the Masses - The Potlach Parking Lot TAKES OFF!
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 09:37:31 AM »
The Potlatch Parking Lot is taking off!  I fed more than a dozen people yesterday out on a cool (finally, thank god!) Alaska evening (what passes for evening in summer here, anyhow).  Menu for the Supper was Corned Beef & Cabbage (and Potatoes & Carrots, all the traditional Irish cuisine, lol) & RE's Original Recipe Italian Meatball Subs.  You can find my Corned Beef recipe on the Cooking Zone Channel of the CollapseCafe.com.  The Italian Meatballs were a HUGE hit, 2 people told me they were the best meatballs they ever tasted!  :icon_sunny:  My recipe for Meatballs is in a sealed envelope to be opened only after I Buy My Ticket to the Great Beyond. ;D

Tonight I am following up with an even BIGGER Potlatch Feast, featuring tonight Spaghetti Your Way, a specialty of mine.  My sauce features of course the famous meatballs, but you also have your choice of grilled hot or mild sausage, grilled shrimp-on-the-barbie or grilled salmon to go with it.  I think the "Surf & Turf" options will be very popular up here.  I'm also making smoked St. Louis Spare Ribs as an appetizer.

Many if not most of these people never talked to each other before, they were just Anonymous Neighbors, ignoring each other in typical modern Amerika insular fashion.  Mostly gone now are the days I remember from my early childhood before leaving for Brazil in New York Shity, where everybody on the block knew everybody else, and if you were a kid and your parents weren't home you could go to any neighbor's house and they would :hi: you and feed you something.  Bringing together your neighbors for a meal breaks down this current cultural barrier quite effectively, although you have to be persistent.  At the beginning, most of these neighbors looked at me like I was nuts.  Now they all smile at me and wave every time they see me.  :icon_sunny:

Of all the things I have done in my life, this pleases me more than anything, even more than all the kids I taught to be strong, courageous and fearless gymnasts.  All the people living in my complex are Poor People, Old Folks, Cripples like me, and young White and Native people who work at the low paid jobs in our society.  Convenience Store clerks, Restaurant employees, Seasonal Construction Workers, etc.  They often have trouble affording food, and about none of them really knows how to cook GOOD food.

That I can afford to give away food to feed  a dozen or more people as a person myself who lives near the Poverty Line is a real testament to how greedy and selfish the rich people who live in our society are who live in Gated Communties and drive the Mercedes to work every day, or the new Tesla if they are Rich Greenies.  How many of these people ever hold a Community Supper out on the neatly trimmed front lawns of their McMansions?  How many ever invite the Landscaper they employ to mow the lawn at close to minimum wage to take Supper with them?  Not too many I would wager.  If everybody with some means would share what they have with others, we wouldn't need a SNAP Card program at all, but Rich Fucks hold onto their money  like it's their God Given right for being good Joel Osteen Christians.

Anyhow, here's some Scenes from an Al Fresco Restaurant now operating here on the Last Great Frontier of Alaska.  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/opq8ISybBsk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/opq8ISybBsk</a>

RE
"Feed as Many as You Can"
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:56:37 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🚚 Feeding the Masses - The Potlach Parking Lot TAKES OFF!
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 05:11:05 PM »
The Potlatch Parking Lot is taking off!  I fed more than a dozen people yesterday out on a cool (finally, thank god!) Alaska evening (what passes for evening in summer here, anyhow).  Menu for the Supper was Corned Beef & Cabbage (and Potatoes & Carrots, all the traditional Irish cuisine, lol) & RE's Original Recipe Italian Meatball Subs.  You can find my Corned Beef recipe on the Cooking Zone Channel of the CollapseCafe.com.  The Italian Meatballs were a HUGE hit, 2 people told me they were the best meatballs they ever tasted!  :icon_sunny:  My recipe for Meatballs is in a sealed envelope to be opened only after I Buy My Ticket to the Great Beyond. ;D

Tonight I am following up with an even BIGGER Potlatch Feast, featuring tonight Spaghetti Your Way, a specialty of mine.  My sauce features of course the famous meatballs, but you also have your choice of grilled hot or mild sausage, grilled shrimp-on-the-barbie or grilled salmon to go with it.  I think the "Surf & Turf" options will be very popular up here.  I'm also making smoked St. Louis Spare Ribs as an appetizer.

Many if not most of these people never talked to each other before, they were just Anonymous Neighbors, ignoring each other in typical modern Amerika insular fashion.  Mostly gone now are the days I remember from my early childhood before leaving for Brazil in New York Shity, where everybody on the block knew everybody else, and if you were a kid and your parents weren't home you could go to any neighbor's house and they would :hi: you and feed you something.  Bringing together your neighbors for a meal breaks down this current cultural barrier quite effectively, although you have to be persistent.  At the beginning, most of these neighbors looked at me like I was nuts.  Now they all smile at me and wave every time they see me.  :icon_sunny:

Of all the things I have done in my life, this pleases me more than anything, even more than all the kids I taught to be strong, courageous and fearless gymnasts.  All the people living in my complex are Poor People, Old Folks, Cripples like me, and young White and Native people who work at the low paid jobs in our society.  Convenience Store clerks, Restaurant employees, Seasonal Construction Workers, etc.  They often have trouble affording food, and about none of them really knows how to cook GOOD food.

That I can afford to give away food to feed  a dozen or more people as a person myself who lives near the Poverty Line is a real testament to how greedy and selfish the rich people who live in our society are who live in Gated Communties and drive the Mercedes to work every day, or the new Tesla if they are Rich Greenies.  How many of these people ever hold a Community Supper out on the neatly trimmed front lawns of their McMansions?  How many ever invite the Landscaper they employ to mow the lawn at close to minimum wage to take Supper with them?  Not too many I would wager.  If everybody with some means would share what they have with others, we wouldn't need a SNAP Card program at all, but Rich Fucks hold onto their money  like it's their God Given right for being good Joel Osteen Christians.

Anyhow, here's some Scenes from an Al Fresco Restaurant now operating here on the Last Great Frontier of Alaska.  :icon_sunny:

RE

You are doing God's Work.

You need to cut loose that meatball recipe before the Tomb of Ozymandias gets erected. Just sayin'.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »

RE

You are doing God's Work.

You need to cut loose that meatball recipe before the Tomb of Ozymandias gets erected. Just sayin'.

It's the natural outgrowth of the Diner, moving it into Real Life.  I have enough of my energy back right now to do this, and so I am doing it.  It is probably an unrealistic dream that many others will follow me, but I will go to my final meeting with the Grim Reaper setting an example for others.  I will die knowing I lived up to my own beliefs and my own ethics and the millions of words I have keyboarded out over the last few decades, since internet communication became a reality in my college years.  I can do no more than that.

It is indeed a Mission from God, as much for me as for the people I am feeding.  Without this, I would not have a purpose and what to do with my crippled ass while I consume more resources.  It is the right thing to do with my last years as a meat package walking the earth at the end of the Age of Oil.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 02:42:37 AM »
It's the natural outgrowth of the Diner, moving it into Real Life.  I have enough of my energy back right now to do this, and so I am doing it.  It is probably an unrealistic dream that many others will follow me, but I will go to my final meeting with the Grim Reaper setting an example for others.  I will die knowing I lived up to my own beliefs and my own ethics and the millions of words I have keyboarded out over the last few decades, since internet communication became a reality in my college years.  I can do no more than that.

It is indeed a Mission from God, as much for me as for the people I am feeding.  Without this, I would not have a purpose and what to do with my crippled ass while I consume more resources.  It is the right thing to do with my last years as a meat package walking the earth at the end of the Age of Oil.

RE

Now about that meatball recipe...

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2019, 03:52:05 AM »

RE

You noticed I skipped over that? lol.

I'll send it to you in PM on the promise you will never reveal it to anyone else, including Contrary!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🚚 RE's Famous Italian Meatball Recipe
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2019, 04:54:41 AM »

OK, I have decided to REVEAL the RE Secret Italian Meatball Recipe to the Diners.  Since so few people actually read the forum anyhow, it will take a while before some restaurant steals it.

This recipe makes around 20-30 Meatballs, depending how big you like to make your meatball.  Don't make them TOO BIG! Or too small either.  Usually for me its about as much as I can fit in one of my rather small hands and compress nicely to meatball shape.  Try not to obsess too much about making them perfectly round, although I do sometimes. lol.  You can halve or double the recipe depending on the size of the crowd you are feeding.

Ingredients:

1 lb Fresh Ground Beef
1 lb Fresh Ground Italian Sausage (not in the casing is best, but you can also slit open the casings to take out the meat)
   * Your meat obviously is the most important ingredient in a good meatball.  I get mine from my Go-To Food Superstore for meats, 3 Bears.  They grind fresh right there every morning.  The day old grind is OK too  and they knock $2 off the price for that.  You can see right through the window into the butcher area too, very clean.

3 large eggs
~ 3/4 Cup of Progresso Italian Breadcrumbs
Fresh ground Sea Salt & Black Peppercorns to taste

Optional:

The Progresso Italian Breadcrumbs have a nice mixture of spices in them already, a real work saver.  However, if you are working with plain breadcrumbs, you'll need garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, Italian Parsley and a light sprinkling of red pepper flakes.  You can also add Basil and Rosemary if you like.  Usually around 1/2 Tsp works OK, adjust to your taste.

Prep:

Put the meats, the eggs, the breadcrumbs and all the spices into a big mixing bowl and prepare to get your hands all slimy.  Wash off all those nasty bacteria populating your hands also before you start mushing.  Or optionally, you can wear surgical gloves.  Then start MUSHING!  Mush together until you have a nice even consistency.  You may have to add or subtract the breadcrumbs to get it to the right level, depending on the size of the eggs.

The Cook:

Take your meatballs and brown them in a non-stick pan, no oil.  Enough fat will render out of the meatballs to cook them without much sticking, especially in a non-stick pan.  If you use Cast Iron over an open fire, just work at the beginning with a metal spatula to keep the meatballs from sticking and don't have your fire too hot.  Once the fat starts to render out, it's about the same as working with non-stick cookware.

Turn regularly to brown on all sides.  They will lose some of the perfectly round shape you slaved over making at this point, don't sweat it.  They still taste GREAT! lol.

Transfer the browned meatballs into a slow cooker with your favorite sauce, either homemade or canned. I usually use one jar of sauce, 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1-2 small cans of tomato paste.  Slow cook on low for around 4 hours is usually OK, but you can even go overnight for super tender, melt in your mouth meatballs.

Serve over Spaghetti or on a French Bread or other Roll you like.

RE
"the crippled cook of collapse"
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🚚 RE's Famous Italian Meatball Recipe
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 06:10:48 AM »

OK, I have decided to REVEAL the RE Secret Italian Meatball Recipe to the Diners.  Since so few people actually read the forum anyhow, it will take a while before some restaurant steals it.

This recipe makes around 20-30 Meatballs, depending how big you like to make your meatball.  Don't make them TOO BIG! Or too small either.  Usually for me its about as much as I can fit in one of my rather small hands and compress nicely to meatball shape.  Try not to obsess too much about making them perfectly round, although I do sometimes. lol.  You can halve or double the recipe depending on the size of the crowd you are feeding.

Ingredients:

1 lb Fresh Ground Beef
1 lb Fresh Ground Italian Sausage (not in the casing is best, but you can also slit open the casings to take out the meat)
   * Your meat obviously is the most important ingredient in a good meatball.  I get mine from my Go-To Food Superstore for meats, 3 Bears.  They grind fresh right there every morning.  The day old grind is OK too  and they knock $2 off the price for that.  You can see right through the window into the butcher area too, very clean.

3 large eggs

Optional:

The Progresso Italian Breadcrumbs have a nice mixture of spices in them already, a real work saver.  However, if you are working with plain breadcrumbs, you'll need garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, Italian Parsley and a light sprinkling of red pepper flakes.  You can also add Basil and Rosemary if you like.  Usually around 1/2 Tsp works OK, adjust to your taste.

Prep:

Put the meats, the eggs, the breadcrumbs and all the spices into a big mixing bowl and prepare to get your hands all slimy.  Wash off all those nasty bacteria populating your hands also before you start mushing.  Or optionally, you can wear surgical gloves.  Then start MUSHING!  Mush together until you have a nice even consistency.  You may have to add or subtract the breadcrumbs to get it to the right level, depending on the size of the eggs.

The Cook:

Take your meatballs and brown them in a non-stick pan, no oil.  Enough fat will render out of the meatballs to cook them without much sticking, especially in a non-stick pan.  If you use Cast Iron over an open fire, just work at the beginning with a metal spatula to keep the meatballs from sticking and don't have your fire too hot.  Once the fat starts to render out, it's about the same as working with non-stick cookware.

Turn regularly to brown on all sides.  They will lose some of the perfectly round shape you slaved over making at this point, don't sweat it.  They still taste GREAT! lol.

Transfer the browned meatballs into a slow cooker with your favorite sauce, either homemade or canned. I usually use one jar of sauce, 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1-2 small cans of tomato paste.  Slow cook on low for around 4 hours is usually OK, but you can even go overnight for super tender, melt in your mouth meatballs.

RE

A thing of beauty. Actually sounds pretty familiar. And makes me hungry at 9AM...

My grandmother used to put raisins in her meatballs. As a kid, I didn’t like them. You ever heard of that?

Thanks for posting this.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🚚 Doomstea Diner Micro-Food Truck v.1.0 - First Look
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2019, 06:18:59 AM »
Your whole Project is worth the Jews call a “mitzvah.”

That’s a good deed done from a sense of religious duty. In your case, the diner is your card, and the first commandment is “save as many as you can.” You were being faithful to that, and what you’re doing is a blessing. Mostly to you!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🚚 RE's Famous Italian Meatball Recipe
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2019, 07:03:12 AM »

Ingredients:

1 lb Fresh Ground Beef

3 large eggs

Optional:

Prep:

The Cook:

RE

A thing of beauty. Actually sounds pretty familiar. And makes me hungry at 9AM...

My grandmother used to put raisins in her meatballs. As a kid, I didn’t like them. You ever heard of that?

Thanks for posting this.

You have an Italian grandmother, so no doubt her recipe is similar which is why it's not really "top secret". lol.  I pulled the recipe from an Italian grandma of one of my friends not long after returning from Brazil.  My neighborhood was packed with Italians and Irish at the time.  Now it is all Asians.

I never tried adding Raisins to a Meatball.  I imagine its pretty good, adding a nice tart sweetness to the meatball.  I'll have to try that.

RE

Save As Many As You Can