AuthorTopic: Composting Toilets: A Step Towards A Greener WORLD!  (Read 2683 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Composting Toilets: A Step Towards A Greener WORLD!
« on: June 26, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »

By Carla Lewis,

Global warming is one of the biggest concerns we have been fighting for the last couple of decades. One of the biggest reasons for the increase in temperature is waste. Whether this is human waste of other waste, it is an important aspect that you need to consider if you are looking to live life to the fullest and protect the earth.

The composting toilet has been designed to help convert natural human waste into compost. This compost can be reused for your garden and to fertilize plants that are around your home. However, most people are a little hesitant when it comes to the composting toilet itself. In this article, we will explore this toilet and see if it is really worth it.
Why Composting Toilet Over Regular Toilet

One of the biggest debates still going on is why you should choose the composting toilet over your standard home toilet. To answer this, we have to explore what happens with the standard toilet and where the waste goes once it has been flushed. This will give you some insight into what happens each time you flush the toilet.Standard Toilet ProcessThe standard toilet is generally connected to a drain and this drain will be where all the waste will disappear. With sewerage systems generally installed around the world or city you live in, your waste will start traveling down these sewerage tunnels. In most developed countries, it will end up at a sewerage plant and be recycled. With the use of multiple purification methods, scientists can actually help to clean the water and finally, reverse osmosis will be used to ensure the water is clean and it can be transformed into drinking water once again. The waste itself is generally disposed of a recycled into compost that can be used for fertilization. In less developed countries, the waste can end up in rivers and dams. These will eventually run into the ocean, but the build-up of too much waste in natural water sources can actually damage the drinking water supply. It is also not healthy for the animals using it as a habitat and can potentially wipe out entire species if left unchecked for too long. The main goal of the composting toilet is to reduce the potential of pollution that can actually damage the habitat. Most human waste is also compiled of many methane gasses and these methane gasses can be poisonous when you are exposed to it in large quantities, leading to water streams and river being completely dead in terms of animal life.

click on link for more pics & article.

https://prepareforchange.net/2019/06/25/composting-toilets-a-step-towards-a-greener-world/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Composting Toilets: A Step Towards A Greener WORLD!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 12:13:42 PM »

By Carla Lewis,

Global warming is one of the biggest concerns we have been fighting for the last couple of decades. One of the biggest reasons for the increase in temperature is waste. Whether this is human waste of other waste, it is an important aspect that you need to consider if you are looking to live life to the fullest and protect the earth.

The composting toilet has been designed to help convert natural human waste into compost. This compost can be reused for your garden and to fertilize plants that are around your home. However, most people are a little hesitant when it comes to the composting toilet itself. In this article, we will explore this toilet and see if it is really worth it.
Why Composting Toilet Over Regular Toilet

One of the biggest debates still going on is why you should choose the composting toilet over your standard home toilet. To answer this, we have to explore what happens with the standard toilet and where the waste goes once it has been flushed. This will give you some insight into what happens each time you flush the toilet.Standard Toilet ProcessThe standard toilet is generally connected to a drain and this drain will be where all the waste will disappear. With sewerage systems generally installed around the world or city you live in, your waste will start traveling down these sewerage tunnels. In most developed countries, it will end up at a sewerage plant and be recycled. With the use of multiple purification methods, scientists can actually help to clean the water and finally, reverse osmosis will be used to ensure the water is clean and it can be transformed into drinking water once again. The waste itself is generally disposed of a recycled into compost that can be used for fertilization. In less developed countries, the waste can end up in rivers and dams. These will eventually run into the ocean, but the build-up of too much waste in natural water sources can actually damage the drinking water supply. It is also not healthy for the animals using it as a habitat and can potentially wipe out entire species if left unchecked for too long. The main goal of the composting toilet is to reduce the potential of pollution that can actually damage the habitat. Most human waste is also compiled of many methane gasses and these methane gasses can be poisonous when you are exposed to it in large quantities, leading to water streams and river being completely dead in terms of animal life.

click on link for more pics & article.

https://prepareforchange.net/2019/06/25/composting-toilets-a-step-towards-a-greener-world/

Is this from a sales brochure, or just from some really bad article written by some journalist type with no real education? WTF is Carla Lewis?

I have NO PROBLEM with composting toilets, but the rationale here is way off base.

The problem is not contaminating water, the problem with flush toilets is WASTING water.

Methane gas is what farts are made of. Using flush toilets does nothing to poison people with methane...not in any way, shape, form, or fashion.

And toilets don't generally contaminate rivers lakes air ground water...flush toilets and septic tanks were a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT over outhouses in terms of environmental pollution.

So, in closing....composting toilets are great (although not perfect...most of them have a tendency to get clogged with crystals in urine)...but EVERYTHING that article says about them is just plain WRONG.

Hi AZ. How you doin'?
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:24:58 PM »
Thanks for throwing your hat in the ring, Edward  :icon_mrgreen:

Having a stellar  :icon_sunny: day. Chamber of commerce nice here at the canyon. Cooool breeze, warm sun,

I got my German Barbie car on the road. Now it's my daily driver & the old girl (60 Westy Bus) is goin' to rehab  :emthup:. My bus is off for metal work & upholstery/ paint.
I'll post pics as I progress.

One of my mining buds has a new workshop for his upholstery side hustle. When I'm working on my bus as you work on your boat it's gets us out of the 3D swamp thang...

Anyway, thanks for checking in  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:44:03 PM »

The problem is not contaminating water, the problem with flush toilets is WASTING water.
Exactly. I read an article some time ago that had it that people in the third world are amazed that Americans use clean water for flushing rather than gray water.

And toilets don't generally contaminate rivers lakes air ground water...flush toilets and septic tanks were a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT over outhouses in terms of environmental pollution.

To say nothing of their contributions to public health. Not a lot of cholera around lately. Public sanitation is a sacrament.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 01:35:06 PM »

Exactly. I read an article some time ago that had it that people in the third world are amazed that Americans use clean water for flushing rather than gray water.

To say nothing of their contributions to public health. Not a lot of cholera around lately. Public sanitation is a sacrament.

When I moved to Lake Havasu City Az. from So. Cal. in the early 90's that area of the Colo. River communities was an all septic environment. By 2004 the Fed had come in
& forced the community to go all sewer. That's when I sold out & moved to the Grand Canyon area. Those poor folks were penalized billions & the cost to lay out a 50,000
home neighborhood was an enormous bond amount. Each homeowner had to pay roughly $17,000 per home (the investors got hosed) for the bond project. Hook up fee !

This was all due to one summer, I believe 1995 the July temps reached 128 degrees F for a week. I was there, it was HELL  :evil4:
Even the A/C couldn't cool the interior below 80 in the afternoon.
AND OMFG the Feds found turds in the London Bridge Channel.  It was deemed to septics perking turds to the Colo. river. Talk about a town going to shit. Literally.

The psychopathe EPA never lets a good crisis go to waste.