AuthorTopic: It's Not 1984.....It's 2019 and We've Been Philip K. Dicked  (Read 583 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Okay. There's this guy that I know...not a close personal friend, but a close acquaintance of 20 years....younger guy I met when he was my kid's age now. So now he's in his middle age. I don't want to give any details. This is a true story.

My friend is a decent guy, if a little Christian Conservative for me....but not a bad guy. Straight arrow too, pretty much. He works...or rather worked.....for. a small bureaucratic office of state government, and he was in IT, maintaining a network for some offices.

The story is that he clicked on some link at work and it triggered a security check on himself by some higher authority.

They (whoever THEY are) remotely hacked and took over his computer at home and hacked his and his wife's cell phones. They evidently found some footage taken at a party where my friend's grown kids might (or might not) have been videoed committing what looked like petty drug use. He was given the choice of resigning or getting fired.

All over things that happened in the privacy of his home. This guy doesn't use drugs,  I know that. He probably doesn't even  drink alcohol. . But anyway, he never missed work...he did lots of late nights to keep their network running. He never came to work anything but sober and ready to do his job. A really conscientious employee.

No matter. This is where we are today, and it isn't likely to get anything but worse anytime soon.

I know he should have known better. But nowadays a hell of a lot of people's lives get videoed, and it all gets saved somewhere.

We are, a lot of us,  happily incriminating ourselves...and evidently whatever you have, THEY have...if they want it.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: It's Not 1984.....It's 2019 and We've Been Philip K. Dicked
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:13:02 PM »
Okay. There's this guy that I know...not a close personal friend, but a close acquaintance of 20 years....younger guy I met when he was my kid's age now. So now he's in his middle age. I don't want to give any details. This is a true story.

My friend is a decent guy, if a little Christian Conservative for me....but not a bad guy. Straight arrow too, pretty much. He works...or rather worked.....for. a small bureaucratic office of state government, and he was in IT, maintaining a network for some offices.

The story is that he clicked on some link at work and it triggered a security check on himself by some higher authority.

They (whoever THEY are) remotely hacked and took over his computer at home and hacked his and his wife's cell phones. They evidently found some footage taken at a party where my friend's grown kids might (or might not) have been videoed committing what looked like petty drug use. He was given the choice of resigning or getting fired.

All over things that happened in the privacy of his home. This guy doesn't use drugs,  I know that. He probably doesn't even  drink alcohol. . But anyway, he never missed work...he did lots of late nights to keep their network running. He never came to work anything but sober and ready to do his job. A really conscientious employee.

No matter. This is where we are today, and it isn't likely to get anything but worse anytime soon.

I know he should have known better. But nowadays a hell of a lot of people's lives get videoed, and it all gets saved somewhere.

We are, a lot of us,  happily incriminating ourselves...and evidently whatever you have, THEY have...if they want it.

NSA warrantless wiretapping authorizes surveillance of persons within the United States, including United States citizens, during the collection of supposedly foreign intelligence by the NSA. In practice they hoover it all up and store it in server banks located outside of Orem, Utah. A reason why when K-Dog talks about this stuff, I tend to listen, because he has Been There.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound