AuthorTopic: Diner Facebook  (Read 5302 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Diner Facebook- William Rivers Pitt
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
From William Rivers Pitt's FB page today:

I am finding it harder and harder to locate my shock at Trump’s grinding mendacities. It is an exhaustion beyond the world weariness described by Publius Terence, a comedic playwright of Roman antiquity. “I am a human being,” wrote Terence, “so nothing human is strange to me.”

What we are confronted with now is beyond strange. Trump is late-capitalism malevolence with a spray-on tan. He is the confounder-in-chief, untethered by civic duty and so thoroughly swaddled in his evangelical solipsism that his most ardent followers actually seem to believe he is, in fact, the only person who actually exists.

“The test of a first-rate intelligence,” wrote F. Scott Fitzgerald, “is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.” Trump’s practiced talent for being gaudy and insipid simultaneously lies at the core of our shared experience of him.
For so many of us, Fitzgerald’s “two opposed ideas” are nothing more or less than an inflicted cruelty. We spend our days being ceaselessly confronted with the bewildering mental car accident of being stunned and not at all surprised in equal measure.

Trump is a meal that will make you sick without providing any calories or nutrients, like a lard sandwich seasoned with soot. You’re full, but God only knows with what. He isn't from television; he *is* television.

Paging Mr. Fitzgerald, your table is ready. I recommend the soup and the punch in the face. It’s what everyone’s having these days.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound