AuthorTopic: Learning in Nature: The Benefits of Forest School  (Read 1819 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Learning in Nature: The Benefits of Forest School
« on: August 13, 2019, 12:51:18 PM »

By Rebecca Hosley

As I reached the entrance to the group camp site at a local state park, I was greeted by my very muddy 3-year-old son who was wearing a rainsuit, sturdy boots and a giant grin on his face. This was the site of his school, Magnolia Forest Preschool. It was “showcase day” where we had the opportunity to tour the school and see what the kiddos had been working on. He grabbed my hand and started his tour, showing me his favorite spots, introducing me to his friends and pointing out his artwork.

As we came to a small hill, he immediately ran down, jumped into a huge pile of leaves at the bottom and grabbed a small rake to tidy up the pile for the next child. Our next stop was the “kitchen” where he made me dirt coffee and mud pies. We explored moss-covered logs, splashed in puddles and built things out of “loose parts.” He was in his element and I couldn’t help but wish I had gone to this school as a child. It was one of those “I did good” parenting moments where I could pat myself on the back for choosing the ideal preschool for my son.

The Forest School Movement

https://www.naturalblaze.com/2019/08/learning-in-nature-the-benefits-of-forest-school.html
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind