AuthorTopic: Wanderers in the Wild Darkness  (Read 4498 times)

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
Re: Wanderers in the Wild Darkness
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 09:45:31 AM »
All of that spells mountains.  If I really had my way, and money wasn't an issue, I'd definitely go for somewhere in the Cascade mountain range.

Provided I'm not in the path of any pyroclastic flows, we're favoring the pacific north west and plan a trip there this fall. 

I'd rather not be around southerners.  I share all of the man made concerns with you Haniel.  I don't to worry about the land we inhabit floating in oil, chemicals, or radiation.  Seems to me that mountains are the only way to go. 

The Ozarks appear to be the best place if a good deal on pristine land is what your after.  But there you have to deal with Southern people, and oil in your swimming pool as we've seen lately.  So if I had my way, I'd be in the Cascades somewhere...probably.  Especially since my entire family is in SoCal and I'm in South Carolina.  Which, there are plenty of places I would be happy in in SC.  I love the land here...more than any other land I've lived on actually...just the people tend to suck ass for some reason.   If I had to stay in the South, and I had my way, I'd be in Asheville NC...hands down no contest.  But you're gonna pay to be there.  Asheville culture is awesome.  I call it the Seattle of the south east.   :emthup:  Very cool people in Asheville.  Your group should look into it.

Will take a look, never visited the area. If we seriously consider an area, the wife will temp for a month at a local hospital to get an idea of the area and meet a lot of locals in a short period of time, and when they are not at their best. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 09:54:25 AM »
Eddie fights the temptation to discuss guns and the Apostle Paul. Errrrrrgghhhh!

Errrrggh. There. I'm okay. Just a temporary compulsion to open my virtual mouth. It has passed.

Why do you fight speaking your mind?  How does that help elucidate truth?  I don't see that behavior as helpful. JMHO.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 09:56:16 AM »
For what it's worth, if you like James Howard Kunstler, he's got a good point about southern culture being hyperindividualistic and gun totin'.

Jimmy K is one of my favorite collapse writers, but I do take issue with him on a few things. One of those is that to him the Southland is just one, homogenous group of dumb-ass trailer trash and used car salesmen and Baptist preachers.. From upstate NY, no doubt it looks that way. But it's an oversimplification of what's really going on.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 10:00:16 AM »
For what it's worth, if you like James Howard Kunstler, he's got a good point about southern culture being hyperindividualistic and gun totin'.

Jimmy K is one of my favorite collapse writers, but I do take issue with him on a few things. One of those is that to him the Southland is just one, homogenous group of dumb-ass trailer trash and used car salesmen and Baptist preachers.. From upstate NY, no doubt it looks that way. But it's an oversimplification of what's really going on.

I agree, but as the Whoville Chronicles points out, that stereotype isn't completely off base either.  There is a hefty population of dumb-ass trailer trash southern baptist car salesmen ;D

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 10:01:21 AM »
RE
Merely an attempt to not stray off-topic. I'd be happy to discuss either one of those subjects, especially with you, Godfather.

And a little attempt to inject some much needed humor into these threads. Sorry, my sense of humor is so offbeat maybe I can identify my joking with some kind of symbol like a big J.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
And a little attempt to inject some much needed humor into these threads. Sorry, my sense of humor is so offbeat maybe I can identify my joking with some kind of symbol like a big J.

Dentist:Sense of Humor=Oxymoron. LOL.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 10:35:36 AM »
. Mostly what I want is fresh water, good soil, good people and wild to semi-wild lands to wander. Not sure there's anywhere like that left, that isn't in the process of being ruined.

Yes there is ONE LEFT.  The LAST GREAT FRONTIER!

Heaven on Earth for a Green Thumb.

RE

Not sure if the wife would like it up there, but alaska.  :P

One of our close friends who might come with us when we relocate was stations there for a couple of years, said you could actually see plants growing in the summer.

How seriously I look at that far north will depend on discussions with Guy and JMG in May.  We're already looking at southern BC but with socialized medicine, the wife would only get around $ 30 an hour.  Hence our trip this fall though northern WA, the ID panhandle and West MT.  I want the wife's wages from private medicine plus the coverage of socialized medicine.  While it lasts.

Two Words Dude:  Population Density.  About the only other place livable as sparsely populated is Siberia. Getting nicer all the time too.  We only had about 2 weeks this winter of sub-zero.

The Mat Valley has a real nice TechnoMed Hospital and a couple of Private Imaging Centers also.  I know, I got the CT Scans of my blocked femoral arteries to prove it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 12:00:31 PM »

Not sure if the wife would like it up there, but alaska.  :P

One of our close friends who might come with us when we relocate was stations there for a couple of years, said you could actually see plants growing in the summer.

How seriously I look at that far north will depend on discussions with Guy and JMG in May.  We're already looking at southern BC but with socialized medicine, the wife would only get around $ 30 an hour.  Hence our trip this fall though northern WA, the ID panhandle and West MT.  I want the wife's wages from private medicine plus the coverage of socialized medicine.  While it lasts.

Two Words Dude:  Population Density.  About the only other place livable as sparsely populated is Siberia. Getting nicer all the time too.  We only had about 2 weeks this winter of sub-zero.

The Mat Valley has a real nice TechnoMed Hospital and a couple of Private Imaging Centers also.  I know, I got the CT Scans of my blocked femoral arteries to prove it.

RE

Matanuska Valley, along the 1?  It drops below freezing seven months of the year.  Not sure I want to live at that latitude without the gulf stream to keep things warm.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »

Matanuska Valley, along the 1?  It drops below freezing seven months of the year.  Not sure I want to live at that latitude without the gulf stream to keep things warm.

Yah, on the Glenn Highway.  Palmer has the best Farming Land. 

Freezing? That is 32F. Good Grief that's Shirtsleeves and Shorts temps. Seriously, I can work up a sweat at anything over 40.  Your body and metabolism adapt to cold.  Really and truthfully, I don't feel at all cold until temps get below around 10 degrees, which this winter we got only for about a month, maybe 6 weeks.  So you Hole Up in the Igloo for that time. I spent 2 months in a snow cave when I first moved up here (while the legs were still A-OK), and even without a fire, it was always around 40 or so with 3 guys and 6 dogs in the cave.

Anyhow, a few layers insulates you from cold.  Try staying cool in 90 degrees with 90% humidity without HVAC.

I'll take the Cold here over the lower 48 anytime. LOOK AT THE MOUNTAINS dude.  That is in eyeshot of where I live.  That is WATER.  That is LIFE.  Can you look around anywhere in TX or even the Ozarks and see THAT?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »

Yah, on the Glenn Highway.  Palmer has the best Farming Land. 

Freezing? That is 32F. Good Grief that's Shirtsleeves and Shorts temps.

It is for me too, but a lot of our lot grew up in California.  The wife is well-adjusted to the cold after the winter of 2011-2012 in the snow storms east of Manchester, UK. 

Seriously, I can work up a sweat at anything over 40.  Your body and metabolism adapt to cold.  Really and truthfully, I don't feel at all cold until temps get below around 10 degrees, which this winter we got only for about a month, maybe 6 weeks.  So you Hole Up in the Igloo for that time. I spent 2 months in a snow cave when I first moved up here (while the legs were still A-OK), and even without a fire, it was always around 40 or so with 3 guys and 6 dogs in the cave.

Anyhow, a few layers insulates you from cold.  Try staying cool in 90 degrees with 90% humidity without HVAC.

I do every year, I'm always the last one to say okay to putting on the AC.

I'll take the Cold here over the lower 48 anytime. LOOK AT THE MOUNTAINS dude.  That is in eyeshot of where I live.  That is WATER.  That is LIFE.  Can you look around anywhere in TX or even the Ozarks and see THAT?

RE

You are very lucky.  Are those your livestock? 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »

Good Grief no.

I'm not a  Gardener, Farmer or Rancher. I don't have a Green Thumb. Plants start dieing as soon as I get near them. LOL.

I am just trying to point out for people who do have this kind of bent for raising plants and animals, Alaska is a marvelous place to do it, despite the image most have in their minds of a frozen wasteland.

I'm basically an H-G. I don't raise food stuffs, I seek them out.  Mostly I like to Fish. I am a Fisherman.  And a Fisher of Men.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »

Good Grief no.

I'm not a  Gardener, Farmer or Rancher. I don't have a Green Thumb. Plants start dieing as soon as I get near them. LOL.

I am just trying to point out for people who do have this kind of bent for raising plants and animals, Alaska is a marvelous place to do it, despite the image most have in their minds of a frozen wasteland.

I'm basically an H-G. I don't raise food stuffs, I seek them out.  Mostly I like to Fish. I am a Fisherman.  And a Fisher of Men.

RE

Prices are good, 40 acres in Palmer is only $ 100k. 

What's Trapper Creek like?  About half the cost of Palmer.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »

I gotta admit I've had that image of Alaska in my head.  You can make a good living as a medic in Alaska.  I worked with a guy who had just moved from Alaska where he was a medic for about 8 years I think.  It was all fixed wing for him.  He was basically the only medical professional for an area the size of a small state (at least when he was on shift).  Flew into Inuit villages and shit.  Sounded pretty cool, but I couldn't get GM to agree to it.  Plus, I like the night, I'd miss it too much. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2013, 10:22:10 PM »

Prices are good, 40 acres in Palmer is only $ 100k. 

What's Trapper Creek like?  About half the cost of Palmer.

Trapper Creek area is nice, but pretty far from Medical Centers/Imaging facilities, especially when gas gets expensive.

There is also a wide variation in soil eveywhere because of the terrain and geology.  You would have to check out the particular patch.  Also in some places because of mineral deposits arsenic is found in the groundwater.

I would look around here if others were interested in Alaska, but it is not generally popular due to the winter cold.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2013, 10:37:11 PM »

I gotta admit I've had that image of Alaska in my head.  You can make a good living as a medic in Alaska.  I worked with a guy who had just moved from Alaska where he was a medic for about 8 years I think.  It was all fixed wing for him.  He was basically the only medical professional for an area the size of a small state (at least when he was on shift).  Flew into Inuit villages and shit.  Sounded pretty cool, but I couldn't get GM to agree to it.  Plus, I like the night, I'd miss it too much.

You get your dose of Night through the Winter.  It's Dark 20 of 24 then. LOL.

I do have a sad story of an EMT who moved up here right during the crash in 2008. He bought a big McMansion based on the big salary he was offerred, then not 6 months after he got here the company went Belly Up.  He couldn't unload the McMansion, his marriage went South due to the money problems, divorce, it was sad & ugly.  I knew the family because I coached one of his daughters. Very talented girl, she had to drop out, very sad.

RE
Save As Many As You Can