PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers

AuthorTopic: 🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers  (Read 2903 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers
« on: September 24, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »
Here's the Doomstead Diner hidden away in the Brooks Range on the Last Great Frontier:

Here's RE, Shaman & Wizard of the Clan:

Here's my Main Squeeze, Ayla 🥰:

Back in the Jurassic Period of personal computing, I briefly became addicted to a computer game, "Sid Meyer's Civilization".  Your goal in that game was to either Conquer the Earth or to take off with Elon Musk on an Interstellar starship to explore an Conquer the Universe!  This was the early 1990s.

I went about this addiction for about 6 months, and was late to work a couple of times playing it all night.  After I got the algorithms down so I would always win, I lost interest in it and stopped playing computer games entirely.

The Games have of course improved immeasurably visually over the intervening years, and they have become more complex also with AI features that make figuring them out much more difficult now.  I recently clicked on an Ad for "Vikings: War of Clans" which is an Online Game launched in 2015.  I'm still a total Novice at this game, currently just building my Community of Vikings and building Farms and Stone Quarries and Mines and Lumber Mills etc..  I've trained some Warriors in Barracks I built, but we haven't gone out on any Raids yet.

I love the graphics and the time period, and it's a great way to kill some time when there is no pressing Collapse Issue to write on or make a Video about.  Once I figure out the game a little better I'm going to write a narrative around it, a post-SHTF Day survival story of the Clan Doomstead Diner.  I can use screen illustrations for graphics, and the Newz Reports the AI generates to give it a realistic flavor.  :icon_sunny:

If you log in to the game, there's ways to join forces and so forth, so let me know in a PM if you are playing it.  I promise not to Raid your Town, Sack the Village and Rape all your Wimmen! lol.  Fellow Diners will be spared the Wrath of RE666 the Falcon Navigator,  Chief Cook & Bottlewasher of the Doomstead Diner!

See you in Fantasyland!  ;D

RE
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 10:50:17 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🧙‍♂️ Doomstead Diner: War of Clans
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »

If you log in to the game, there's ways to join forces and so forth, so let me know in a PM if you are playing it.  I promise not to Raid your Town, Sack the Village and Rape all your Wimmen! lol.  Fellow Diners will be spared the Wrath of RE666 the Falcon Navigator,  Chief Cook & Bottlewasher of the Doomstead Diner!

RE

Frankly I am amazed that you have any time for computer games given the amount of time you spend on the Diner and cooking. But good for you!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »

RE

Frankly I am amazed that you have any time for computer games given the amount of time you spend on the Diner and cooking. But good for you!

I keep it running in a window.  Every so often I drop in to see how the building projects are going.  It takes a long time for shit to get built.  You have to run it for weeks/months.  You can speed things up by paying REAL money, but I'm not that dimwitted a fantasy game aficionado.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 11:26:42 AM »

RE

I keep it running in a window.  Every so often I drop in to see how the building projects are going.  It takes a long time for shit to get built.  You have to run it for weeks/months.  You can speed things up by paying REAL money, but I'm not that dimwitted a fantasy game aficionado.

RE

You can take the boy outta' da' school, but U just can't rid the school outta' da' boy  :icon_mrgreen:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 12:30:48 PM »

RE

RE

You can take the boy outta' da' school, but U just can't rid the school outta' da' boy  :icon_mrgreen:

I'm currently working on making it to Level 7.  I need to get to Level 12 to build the Hall of Mysteries so I can summon the Shamans.  :icon_sunny:

I'm staying out of trouble with no Wars using the Peace Boost which protects me from being Invaded or Spied on to stay safe at the moment.  I think that has about a day left on it.

My Resource tallies are good.  Plenty of Food, Lumber, Stone & Iron for builbing, and 30K in Silver for trade at some point in the future.  Right now the Community is a full Gift Economy, no moey is being used for the building.  I order it DONE, and the rest of the community pulls together to build it while I sit in my Cripple Cart barking out directions.  ;D

Ayla just rolled back in from a hunting expedition.  She nailed a Caribou, so tonight we are having Caribou Steaks with Wild Mushrooms & Onions for dinner.  ;D

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers - L18 Update
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:18:54 PM »
I have completed a complete month in the game, really called "Vikings: War of Clans".  Although it has a few deficiencies which I'll eventually elaborate on, its a very good and very deep strategy game, numerical in nature.  I'm going to write an article for the blog on it as a good Modeling tool for post-SHTF day Preppers and Doomsteaders.  :icon_sunny:

Progress report after one month, I am now up to Level 18 and doing quite well, despite a couple of attacks early on that nearly wiped me out.  I have figured out more of the details of the game and have a much larger army now.  I'm also substantially richer in the Resource Based Economy (RBE) of the game, I started out with Zero and I am now a Millionaire.  :icon_sunny:  You have 6 basic commodities you need to accumulate to build stuff and do various tasks, Food, Lumber, Iron, Stone, Silver and of course Gold.  I'll detail more of how that works when I write the blog.

Meanwhile, my Castle is highly improved as you can see from the first post to this thread:
click the pics for large)
Vik L18 2019 10 23 Castle
Vik L18 2019 10 23 Castle

All stone now, no more wooden ramparts.  The top also substantially more decorated and impressive looking.

In celebration of one month in the game and making it successfully to L18, I held a competition for a new Hero to replace the one I was given I think at random when I started the game (not the one in the pic in the first post here.  Her I would have kept. LOL.).  She was OK, but not really my type.  Here's my new Main Squeeze (still named Ayla, I haven't renamed her, that costs some game gold. Ayla comes from the novel "Clan of the Cave Bear".).

Vik L18 2019 10 23 Hero
Vik L18 2019 10 23 Hero

This one looks more like Gabrielle from the old "Xena: Warrior Princess" TV Series who I had the hots for back in the day.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/EBeAtn_2VY4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/EBeAtn_2VY4</a>

Renee O'Connor who played Gabrielle did all her own stunts, she was a gymnast and martial artist/stunt woman before she got the Xena part.

I may kick in some game gold to rename her, though I really liked the Ayla character also.  Didn't like Darryl Hannah who played her in the movie though.  However, the time period for Ayla was too early, it was when both Homo Saps and Homo Neadertalensis occupied the Earth at the same time, around 60,000 or so years ago.  Xena was set in Ancient Greece, around 3000 YA, closer to the Viking time period from around 900-1100AD.  Technology didn't change much in the interim, it was still Iron Age stuff.

OK, back to the game, I have some Zombies (Invaders) to fend off.

RE

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 11:03:51 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers - L18 Update
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 07:24:33 AM »
I have 2 NEW FRIENDS  :icon_sunny: from my Clan who actually speak English!  Most of the game is populated by Ruskies.  I can't read Cyrillic alphabet so it makes it tough for me to communicate on the site.

One is 26, from Siberia.  The other is 17 from just north of Kazakhstan.  ::)

This is a great way to meet Millenial Ruskies!  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers - On the way to becoming a BILLIONAIRE!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 02:23:39 PM »
I now have reached the 100M mark in Resources!  I am a Viking Self Made Horatio Alger Multi-Millionaire in just over a month starting from Zero!  Over 35M ozs. of Silver alone! About 20M Bushels of Barley, Rye & Oats, 20M Board-feet of Lumber, 20M lbs of Iron of Iron and 20M lbs of Rock.  My main savings account of Gold has 140,000 ozs.  Exchange rate of Gold for Silver in the game is about 70:1

According to one of my English speaking friends, the Battle of Kingdoms is about to begin!  I have over 120,000 Troops now, Horsemen, Archeresses, Trebuchet, Mercenaries, Shield Maidens, you name it!  I have been Peaceful so far in the game, only attacking Invaders (Zombies) and one asshole Town Chieftain who attacked me first.  My attack failed though.  :( I am much better equipped now.  If anybody attacks me this time, they will feel Thor's Mighty Hammer!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
With just over 1 month in the game and about 1 week as a member of the Tokki (all Ruskie except me) Clan, I have been promoted from Rookie to Warrior and now to Warlord!  :icon_sunny:

:aola:

We are in our 2nd major battle since I joined, this one is halfway done in about 4 hours, then another 24 to finish.  I have been hard at work Pointing & Clicking to make sure my contribution to VICTORY is substantial.  That's what got me promoted here in the first 24 hours of this battle.

Currently, Tokki is once again KICKING ASS in the competition.  So far in passing various Checkpoints as an individual and also as member of the Clan, I have scarfed up  over 100K oz in Gold.  Also another 60M or so in various commodities.  I have re-invested much of my earnings in upgrading my town and Palace, now at L21.

It's a great Resource Based Economy Game, and reasonably realistic with a few kludges to make the gamin possible.   You really have to pay attention to your resources in order to get things built.  Good training for the post SHTF day world.

Now, back to the game...

RE the Warlord

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
♞ Diners: War of Doomers - Game Theory
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
I am hours away from my biggest Battle yet to assure the Safety and Security of my Doomstead in the Game Simulation of Vikings: War of Clans.  I have been Prepping up for this battle over the last day, and hopefully me and the Virtual Diners I have recruited and trained will be up to the Challenge!  :icon_sunny:

The biggest change here going into this Battle is I changed Clans.  I was Recruited by a much BIGGER Clan by the various Clan Headhunters looking for talent.  I was sad to leave the TOKKI Clan and the few English Speaking Ruskies I met there, but I eventually discovered while TOKKI was successful, I was playing Little League ball.  The game is divided up in all sorts of ways so you can feel "successful" no matter what Level you are playing at.  This new Clan is also of course jammed full of Ruskies.  lol.  But I have found a couple of English speakers in this one also.  Still working on improving the Communications and Translations though.  My main connection right now on the language level is a Lithuanian babe who writes pretty good English.  However, she's not too savvy with varying types of communication methods, so we are still working that out.

Now, I know many of you will look at this as a Trivial Pursuit, but it's not.  Game Theory is a very active discipline, and this Game was CLEARLY designed by Game Theorists.  Prior to getting caught up in the Greek Tragedy, Yanis Varoufakis was best know as a Game Theorist in Economics.  And of course the GREATEST Gamer of them ALL was/is Gary Kasparov, a Ruskie also.  Not to mention my Personal Chess Hero of my youth, Bobby Fischer, who was a sort of American boy from Brooklyn in NYC and I throughly WORSHIPPED as a young Chess Player.  I sat at the TV transfixed every day when his match with Boris Spassky played out in Rejkyavik, Iceland, broadcast at the time live by the NYC PBS station on Channel 13.  It was hosted by Shelby Lyman, who put up all the latest moves on a board and then did analysis of the moves.

I am still a Gamer at heart, and although no game IMHO will ever be as good as Chess, this one is very well designed as computer games go.  It is NOT "Grand Theft Auto". LOL.  It's not a "Shoot-em'Up" game at all.  It's a math game of Resources and their applications.  It's very deep, endlessly so for all practical purposes.  These days, it provides me much fodder for thought as we wander our way down the Collapse Highway.  I will be writing a blog about it, but my energy for that right now is low.  I hope to recover some over the next weeks.

Meanwhile, let us not forget another great Gamer and Chess player, Josh Weitzman, who was the subject of the film "Searching for Bobby Fischer".  He quit chess after the film was made, because he got too self-conscious and thought more about how he LOOKED than about the game itself.  He wrote books about this afterwards, none of which I have read though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ybrY9JWVBv4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ybrY9JWVBv4</a>

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
♞ Diners: War of Doomers - 666
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 04:10:14 AM »
I am into about the first 1/3rd of the big Clan Battle ongoing on Vikings.  My new Clan MNNT is also KICKING ASS in the new League we are in  I estimate at the moment I have graduated from Little League to AA Ball, maybe College BB, not sure.  I'm sure I am still at least 2 steps away from the Major League.  LOL.

I am no longer a mere MILLIONAIRE in Resources, I am now a BILLIONAIRE!  Not sure how long it will take to get to TRILLIONAIRE status on this in the Game. ???  It's a logarithmithic scale, I already worked that out.  Everything in the game jumps by orders of magnitude as you "grow",  It is a fine example on the Game level of how our culture developed.

Interestingly here, as far as my GOLD holdings are concerned in the Town Vault, I hit EXACTLY 666 during the Battle so far!  :o I did not game this to make it so, it just added up that way from my Personal Victories together with the Clan Victories.  :icon_sunny:  Look in the Upper Right Corner of the Town View to see the Gold Total:

click the pics to enlarge

Vik L24 2019 11 4 666
Vik L24 2019 11 4 666

I have also moved my Town to a more Bucolic Location than I was in, placing it right on the water's edge in the Fjord.  I will hang in this location for a while.  There are game aspects of your location that are important to consider, another very important aspect of setting up a IRL Doomstead.

Vik L24 2019 11 4 666 Location
Vik L24 2019 11 4 666 Location

OK, I gotta get back to whacking Zombies for my Clan.  ;D

RE
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:31:36 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers: RE makes it to the MAJOR LEAGUE!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 05:19:34 PM »
PHEW!  After 2 grueling days, our latest Battle is now FINISHED!

I am pleased to report now that the Diner is in fact playing in the MAJOR Leagues!  :icon_sunny:  Our Clan came in 6th out of ALL the Clans in the Game, and RE came out of the Bullpen throwing SMOKE and was 3rd among Clan members in CRUSHING our opposing Clan in racking up Points.  Even the recalcitrant Ruskies who hate all Amerikans in the Clan are getting to like me. :)

Tomorrow a new Major Battle begins.  We are battling for the Crown of Journheim, that is the central "Kingdom of all Kingdoms".  Sort of like  the BIS is the Central Bank of all Central Banks.  ;D

I am currently resting up my Pitching Arm (OK, Mouse and Keyboard fingers  ::) )  and then the WILD THING will emerge from the Bullpen once again to KILL ALL GHOSTS AND ZOMBIES!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BNCEFn7E34s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BNCEFn7E34s</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers: The Man Who Would Be King
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
The Great Battle to become the KING OF JOURNHEIM begins this afternoon and lasts 2 days.  Do not expect to see or hear from me too much during this time.  I am pulling out all the stops and I am prepped and ready to go.  I now understand the math of the game and most of the important mechanics.  I am however going up against much more experienced players of this game, so I am a real LONGSHOT to WIN.  But if you like betting on a Horse with long odds, I just might be your Dark Horse.

Secretariat RE goes to the Viking Races!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ucKHRfso7nw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ucKHRfso7nw</a>

RE
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:57:28 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 06:59:31 AM »
"The Man Who Would Be King" is for my money one of the great films of all time. Love it.

When you screen it, it is stylistically badly dated and younger people have little patience for it. their loss.
Not enough car crashes or Transformers, I guess.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🧙‍♂️ Diners: War of Doomers
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 07:12:13 AM »
"The Man Who Would Be King" is for my money one of the great films of all time. Love it.

When you screen it, it is stylistically badly dated and younger people have little patience for it. their loss.
Not enough car crashes or Transformers, I guess.

Two fantastic actors in Sean Connery and Michael Caine.  :emthup:  The don't write 'em like that anymore.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GoI48D4oAg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0GoI48D4oAg</a>

I am badly dated also.  A computer addict from the Jurrasic Period.  But trust me, I will give these Ruskie Millenials a run for the money!  :icon_sunny:

RE
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:13:46 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can