AuthorTopic: Tragedy & Hope: A History of the World in Our Time by Carrol Quigley  (Read 11944 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
This is a MUST READ for all Conspiracy Theorists with respect to how the Illuminati have been operating over the last century or so.  The book is now available free on the Internet as a pdf.  Download now and bone up before the Internet goes Dark.

http://archive.org/download/TragedyAndHope/TH.pdf

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Tragedy & Hope: A History of the World in Our Time by Carrol Quigley
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:09:41 PM »
I have started reading it, am about 20 pages in, and really agree. Have actually founbd a hard coipy online and have ordered it. Find it difficult to concentrate reading a screen, which is ironic considering how much of my life is spent in front of one.

GREAT find.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
Did you order The Gonzo Tapes off Amazon also?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:30:43 AM »
Found 'em on eBay, actually. Never occurred to me to try Amazon. But yes, they are on their way.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:51 AM »
This is one big-ass book, BTW.

Karpatok

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 02:11:12 PM »
RE: I wish to thank you for the opportunity to download Quiqley. Further, for the possible lack of Gates having any descendence from the Plantangenets, which I am presently exploring. Your website seemed to have rejected my "nom de plume", saying it was not a real name. The word Karpatok is the Magyar plural for the Carpathian mountains surrounding Transylvania where I am hopefully heading in the near future having lived there during the 90s. Hopefully to disappear and concentrate on more beautiful concerns, including Roma capacity to have survived enslavement as well as genocide. Thanking you for your insights,posting from El G and hoping the valium has arrived from your friend Ben, whose poetic contributions are most gratefully appreciated! Sincerely,K.

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 03:16:43 PM »
K, sweet plan! very inspiring. you'll be pleased to know that p01 here is a romanian expat and a few weeks ago I at long last watched 'Wild Carpathia' on his recommendation. fantastic.

welcome!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:02:28 PM »
RE: I wish to thank you for the opportunity to download Quiqley. Further, for the possible lack of Gates having any descendence from the Plantangenets, which I am presently exploring. Your website seemed to have rejected my "nom de plume", saying it was not a real name. The word Karpatok is the Magyar plural for the Carpathian mountains surrounding Transylvania where I am hopefully heading in the near future having lived there during the 90s. Hopefully to disappear and concentrate on more beautiful concerns, including Roma capacity to have survived enslavement as well as genocide. Thanking you for your insights,posting from El G and hoping the valium has arrived from your friend Ben, whose poetic contributions are most gratefully appreciated! Sincerely,K.

Karpatok, if you send me your email address, I'll get you signed up. RE @ doomsteaddiner . org no spaces.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

p01

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:31:07 PM »
K, sweet plan! very inspiring. you'll be pleased to know that p01 here is a romanian expat and a few weeks ago I at long last watched 'Wild Carpathia' on his recommendation. fantastic.

welcome!

That part of the country had the amazing luck that it was remote, and could not be easily conquered. As a matter of fact, even the Roman Empire had trouble with their civilization-spreading in those areas, and the area remained over the centuries mostly a "lost world", a country-side within a mad continent.
That lasted until someone finally managed to spread some civilization over there (even Ceausescu did not manage to destroy those communities, but "shopping malls and gleaming car showrooms" finally did the trick):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16290078

I wouldn't be caught in any part of Europe at least until I die, because I think WWII was just a kid's play compared to what will happen now over there, and sadly I don't think Wild Carpathia will be spared.

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »
nice place to die that's all i'm saying.

Offline dcoyote

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
Anywhere- and anyday could be 'that good day to die',  while helping the... forked tongue devils on their way as well... meantime, feed on the scraps until they take those too... then...

Offline Mark N

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
Thought I might put this in the Tragedy and Hope thread; that is a book I keep reading over and over and I feel it is the best source of credible information on the Illuminati. Carroll Quigley was given inside access to the Council on Foreign Relations documents and records. He was friends with many lower level technocrats and supported their goals which gave him unprecedented access.  Another must read by Quigley is the Anglo American Establishment which gives some great insight into how the cabal is organized.

Here is a great chart of the interconnectedness of the top level technocrats who work for the Illuminati. David Rockefeller is very rich and powerful, but I think he is not the top of the pyramid. It is all downhill from here for the Bilderberg Group however if my take on the situation is correct.

http://www.businessinsider.com/this-chart-shows-the-bilderberg-groups-connection-to-everything-in-the-world-2012-6

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Tragedy & Hope: Rockefeller Global Tentacles-1959 Soviet Paper
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 08:19:06 PM »
For anybody who believes the spin that Bill Gates is the "Richest Man in Amerika" for the last 20 years, think again.

RE

Rockefeller Global Tentacles Exposed in 1959 by the Soviet Union
By Wayne Madsen

Global Research, October 18, 2012

Strategic Culture Foundation

Region: USA

Theme: Culture, Society & History, Global Economy

The Rockefeller global oil and banking empire has been the subject of much critical commentary on the Internet. However, the Rockefeller Octopus’s tentacles into every facet of America’s banking, oil (through their control of Standard Oil), military, educational, and foreign policy apparatus was exposed in a monograph prepared by the Soviet Union in 1959. An English translation of the Soviet article prepared by the Central Intelligence Agency’s Foreign Documents Division and dated December 16, 1959, was uncovered from the CIA’s archives. The paper is titled: “About Those Who Are Against Peace.”

The arguments in the Soviet paper generally concur with President Dwight Eisenhower’s Farewell Address to the American people shortly before the inauguration of President Kennedy in January 1961. In his speech, Eisenhower warned the American people about the dangers posed to America’s democracy by the “military-industrial complex.”

There is nothing in the Soviet paper that rings false about the Rockefellers… The oligarchic family has exercised control over America’s foreign policy through their part-sponsorship of the Council on Foreign Relations, Trilateral Commission, and Bilderberg Group – all three shadowy organizations of the world’s elite class who determine monetary, foreign, and military policies behind closed doors. Rockefeller funding of Columbia University and the University of Chicago have helped inflict on the United States some of the most brazen neo-conservatives serving inside and outside of government.

The paper states “In 1957, the Rockefeller oligarchy of American oil industrialists controlled a capital of 61.4 billion dollars. The precise size of the Rockefeller fortune is a state secret in America: the American press noted at one time that special measures are taken so that data concerning the largest fortunes of the U.S. are not published.”

Fifty-three years later, the fortunes of America’s elite are still secret as can be seen with the secrecy surrounding Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney’s taxes and his offshore financial holdings in such locations as the Cayman Islands, Switzerland, Bermuda, and, according to some reports, the British Virgin Islands.

But the Rockefellers wrote the book on hiding their immense fortune in corporate contrivances and secret bank accounts, an easy task considering they own Chase Manhattan Bank, which is now known as J P Morgan Chase.

The Soviet article also exposed the Rockefellers’ much-ballyhooed “philanthropy” and “work ethic.” The article revealed: “The Rockefellers do not buy yachts worth many millions, like the Vanderbilt magnates; they do not install doorknobs and water fountains of pure gold in their palaces. But love for luxury is not alien to them. The play house where the children of the Rockefellers frolic cost a half million dollars. Bourgeois newspapers, willingly ‘forgetting’ about such ‘trifles,’ relate with tears of sympathy how the children of the billionaires earn pocket money by raising rabbits, cleaning boots, and even destroying flies at ten cents per hundred.”

Today, the successors of the same “bourgeois” media of 1959 prattle on about how Mitt and Ann Romney had it so “tough” after graduating from college. CNN’s Anderson Cooper, the son of billionaire heiress Gloria Vanderbilt, goes on about how tough it was for him to break into the news media, as if his mother had nothing to do with his rapid ascension in the corporate media.

The Soviet paper paints a picture of the Rockefellers that is similar to today’s Romney family: “The people want to know the truth. And the truth about the wealth of the Rockefellers consists of dark deeds, thousands of ruined families, hundreds of thousands of workers in many countries of the world tormented by work beyond their strength. The truth is the concealed history of many wars – it is oil stained with blood.” Of course, today the same can be said about the Rockefeller-linked Bush family, as well as Dick Cheney, George Soros, Rupert Murdoch, and the Rothschild family.

The article identifies the Rockefeller clan members in 1959: “John D. Rockefeller II does not direct his wide empire alone. He has five sons – John D. III, Laurance, David, Winthrop, and Nelson. They are all large capitalists. Each has his role, his department. Only Winthrop has not become famous for anything, unless one counts a scandalous divorce.” In fact, Winthrop became famous later when he was elected governor of Arkansas in 1966. His brother Nelson had served as Governor of New York since 1959.

David is the only survivor among John D. II’s sons and he has been a major player in secret organizations like the Bilderbergs and Trilateralists. David Rockefeller’s off demeanor is described in the Soviet article: “The bourgeois press advertises him as the owner of the best collection of insects in the world, and as possessing extremely gentlemanly manners. But when he enters the office of the bank [Chase Manhattan] and the steel doors close behind his back, the lover of butterflies turns into a greedy seeker after dollars. The hired biographers have every basis for calling him ‘the personification of the virtues of Wall Street.’”

Nelson Rockefeller, who, in 1975, would have become President of the United States had two attempted assassins’ bullets hit their target – President Gerald Ford – is recognized in the Soviet article for his scheming in Latin America, scheming that was supplemented by Richard Nixon and Ford Secretary of State and Rockefeller consigliore Henry Kissinger. The article states: “The Rockefellers have long nourished an irresistible attraction for the countries in Latin America: the provocatory smell of oil reaches them from the South American continent. Therefore, Nelson Rockefeller, who had long been trying to turn South America into his family estate, was at one time placed at the head of the so-called “Bureau of Inter-American Affairs.”

The article quotes the left-wing newspaper the Daily Compass, which once published the muckraking columns of investigative journalist I. F. Stone, in describing the Rockefellers’ stranglehold over the U.S. State Department: “The policy of the State Department is born in the offices of Standard Oil. From there it is transmitted to the Department of Defense, where the heads of the Army and Navy approve it. When this policy gets to the State Department, it becomes the policy of the government and is supposed to be confirmed by Congress quickly and without any changes whatever. When an order for laws designed to protect the interests of the oil kings comes from the Rockefeller dynasty itself, the entire Congress – from the small to the great – comes to ‘attention’ and does what the bosses order it to do.”

Considering the recent U.S. and NATO intervention in Libya and Syria, countries where oil is key, little has changed in how U.S. foreign and war policy is manufactured.

The Rockefellers ties to the CIA and Israel’s Mossad are also laid out in the Soviet monograph. The article reveals that the Rockefellers supplied a U.S. intelligence “cut out” – the School of Eastern Studies in Jerusalem – with money from the Arabian-American oil company (ARAMCO). The school, which operated with the full knowledge of the Mossad, trained American officers to conduct espionage throughout the Middle East.

There was a time when the U.S. government and the corporate (bourgeois) press dismissed such articles as the Soviet monograph on the Rockefellers as pure propaganda. In retrospect, the Soviet authors of the article understood in 1959 what many Americans have come late to fathoming: that the United States is being destroyed by a mega-wealthy elite intent on preying on the United States like a swarm of locusts.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Bilderberg Time!
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »
From Global Research.

RE

New World Order Secrecy: Who will be Attending the Bilderberg Meeting? What Will be Discussed Behind Closed Doors?  

By Prof Michel Chossudovsky

Global Research, June 06, 2013

Global Research 4 June 2013

Region: Canada, Europe, USA

Theme: Global Economy

Each year, the Bilderberg venue brings together leading members of the financial and corporate elite, politicians, handpicked scholars, journalists and scientists.
It is An Anglo-Western European-North American Venue with participants from 21 Western countries (i.e Western Europe, US and Canada).  With the exception of British born Polish Minister of Finance, Jacek Rostowski, there are no participants from Eastern Europe, the Balkans, Asia, Latin America, Africa and the Middle East (with the exception of Turkey). There are 14 women out of 140 participants.
The official website of the Bilderberg describes the venue as “a forum for informal, off-the-record discussions about megatrends and the major issues facing the world.”
Semi-secrecy prevails: While crucial negotiations are undertaken leading to far-reaching decisions, Prime Ministers and Finance Ministers in attendance are participating in their personal capacity; they are required not to report to Cabinet or to the Legislature.
This year’s 61st meeting is scheduled to be held at the Grove Hotel near Watford, Hertfordshire, U.K., June 6-9, 2013.
Various dimensions of the New World Order including the global economic crisis, the wars in the Middle East, biotechnology, cyber-warfare and Homeland security will be discussed behind closed doors.
“Thanks to the private nature of the conference, the participants are not bound by the conventions of office or by pre-agreed positions. As such, they can take time to listen, reflect and gather insights.

There is no detailed agenda, no resolutions are proposed, no votes are taken, and no policy statements are issued.” http://www.bilderbergmeetings.org

The Venue will regroup some 140 participants including George Osborne, UK Chancellor of the Exchequer, Henry Kissinger, Timothy Geithner,  former Secretary of the Treasury,  Gen. David Petraeous, former head of the CIA, Christine Lagarde, Managing Director of the IMF, Richard N. Perle, prominent adviser to the Bush Junior administration, Jeff Bezos, Founder and CEO of Amazon.com, Eric Schmidt of Google, two former presidents of the World Bank, James D. Wolfensohn and Robert B. Zoellick, among others.
Prominent members of the Anglo-American financial establishment include David Wright, Vice Chairman of Barclays, J. Michael Evans, Vice Chairman of Goldman Sachs, Douglas J. Flint, Group Chairman of HSBC,  Kenneth M. Jacobs, Chairman and CEO of Lazard, Peter D. Sutherland, chairman of Goldman Sachs International, Edmund Clark, President and CEO of  Canada’s TD Bank Group. The Swiss banking establishment which overseas billions of dollars in undeclared “numbered bank accounts” is represented by  Dr. Thomas Jakob Ulrich Jordan, the recently appointed Chairman of the Governing Board of the  Schweizerische Nationalbank (Swiss National Bank).

A handful of establishment journalists (Washington Post, Financial Times, Economist), economics professors, representatives from corporate thinks tanks including the American Enterprise Institute, Carnegie and the Council on Foreign Relations will also be in attendance.
From the oil industry Simon Henry, CFO of Royal Dutch Shell and Robert Dudley, BP Group Chief Executive are on the list of participants.
Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall will also be attending. Canada is the World’s second largest producer of uranium with most of the mining in Saskatchewan. Uranium is an important input into the production  of nuclear warheads.

Major trends in medical research are also on the agenda. Prominent leaders of the pharmaceutical industry include Mark C. Fishman (right), President of Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, together with Dr.  John Bell (left), Professor of Medicine at Oxford, who is a leading authority in biotechnology, working closely with Big Pharma.
Bilderberg has confirmed that global data banks pertaining to Homeland Security will be discussed under the heading of “big data” and that Eric Schmidt of Google will be addressing the topic.
The official list is not complete. In all likelihood, the names of several prominent delegates are not made public.
An earlier report by Infowars.com quoting “inside sources” stated that the Middle East war discussions would focus on “prolonging war on Syria by arming anti-Assad elements” as well as destroying Iran’s nuclear facilities within a three year period.
According to the Bilderberg website, the following vaguely defined topics will be discussed:
• Can the US and Europe grow faster and create jobs?
• Jobs, entitlement and debt
• How big data is changing almost everything
• Nationalism and populism
• US foreign policy
• Africa’s challenges
• Cyber warfare and the proliferation of asymmetric threats
• Major trends in medical research
• Online education: promise and impacts
• Politics of the European Union
• Developments in the Middle East
• Current affairs

Bilderberg Group meeting, June 6-9, 2013 – Full List of Participants

-Chairman: Henri de Castries, Chairman and CEO, AXA Group
Paul M. Achleitner, Chairman of the Supervisory Board, Deutsche Bank AGJosef Ackermann, Chairman of the Board, Zurich Insurance Group LtdMarcus Agius, Former Chairman, Barclays plcHelen Alexander, Chairman, UBM plcRoger C. Altman, Executive Chairman, Evercore PartnersMatti Apunen, Director, Finnish Business and Policy Forum EVASusan Athey, Professor of Economics, Stanford Graduate School of BusinessAslı Aydıntaşbaş, Columnist, Milliyet NewspaperAli Babacan, Turkish Deputy Prime Minister for Economic and Financial AffairsEd Balls, Shadow Chancellor of the ExchequerFrancisco Pinto Balsemão, Chairman and CEO, IMPRESANicolas Barré, Managing Editor, Les EchosJosé Manuel Barroso, President, European CommissionNicolas Baverez, Partner, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLPOlivier de Bavinchove, Commander, EurocorpsJohn Bell, Regius Professor of Medicine, University of OxfordFranco Bernabè, Chairman and CEO, Telecom Italia S.p.A.Jeff Bezos, Founder and CEO, Amazon.comCarl Bildt, Swedish Minister for Foreign AffairsAnders Borg, Swedish Minister for FinanceJean François van Boxmeer, CEO, HeinekenSvein Richard Brandtzæg, President and CEO, Norsk Hydro ASAOscar Bronner, Publisher, Der Standard MedienweltPeter Carrington, Former Honorary Chairman, Bilderberg MeetingsJuan Luis Cebrián, Executive Chairman, Grupo PRISAEdmund Clark, President and CEO, TD Bank GroupKenneth Clarke, Cabinet MinisterBjarne Corydon, Danish Minister of FinanceSherard Cowper-Coles, Business Development Director, International, BAE Systems plcEnrico Cucchiani, CEO, Intesa Sanpaolo SpAEtienne Davignon, Belgian Minister of State; Former Chairman, Bilderberg MeetingsIan Davis, Senior Partner Emeritus, McKinsey & CompanyRobbert H. Dijkgraaf, Director and Leon Levy Professor, Institute for Advanced StudyHaluk Dinçer, President, Retail and Insurance Group, Sabancı Holding A.S.Robert Dudley, Group Chief Executive, BP plcNicholas N. Eberstadt, Henry Wendt Chair in Political Economy, American Enterprise InstituteEspen Barth Eide, Norwegian Minister of Foreign AffairsBörje Ekholm, President and CEO, Investor ABThomas Enders, CEO, EADSJ. Michael Evans, Vice Chairman, Goldman Sachs & Co.Ulrik Federspiel, Executive Vice President, Haldor Topsøe A/SMartin S.Feldstein, Professor of Economics, Harvard University; President Emeritus, NBERFrançois Fillon, Former French Prime MinisterMark C. Fishman, President, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical ResearchDouglas J. Flint, Group Chairman, HSBC Holdings plcPaul Gallagher, Senior CounselTimothy F Geithner, Former Secretary of the TreasuryMichael Gfoeller, US Political ConsultantDonald E. Graham, Chairman and CEO, The Washington Post CompanyUlrich Grillo, CEO, Grillo-Werke AGLilli Gruber, Journalist – Anchorwoman, La 7 TVLuis de Guindos, Spanish Minister of Economy and CompetitivenessStuart Gulliver, Group Chief Executive, HSBC Holdings plcFelix Gutzwiller, Member of the Swiss Council of StatesVictor Halberstadt, Professor of Economics, Leiden University; Former Honorary Secretary General of Bilderberg MeetingsOlli Heinonen, Senior Fellow, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard Kennedy School of GovernmentSimon Henry, CFO, Royal Dutch Shell plcPaul Hermelin, Chairman and CEO, Capgemini GroupPablo Isla, Chairman and CEO, Inditex GroupKenneth M. Jacobs, Chairman and CEO, LazardJames A. Johnson, Chairman, Johnson Capital PartnersThomas J. Jordan, Chairman of the Governing Board, Swiss National BankVernon E. Jordan, Jr., Managing Director, Lazard Freres & Co. LLCRobert D. Kaplan, Chief Geopolitical Analyst, StratforAlex Karp, Founder and CEO, Palantir TechnologiesJohn Kerr, Independent Member, House of LordsHenry A. Kissinger, Chairman, Kissinger Associates, Inc.Klaus Kleinfeld, Chairman and CEO, AlcoaKlaas H.W. Knot, President, De Nederlandsche BankMustafa V Koç,. Chairman, Koç Holding A.S.Roland Koch, CEO, Bilfinger SEHenry R. Kravis, Co-Chairman and Co-CEO, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.Marie-Josée Kravis, Senior Fellow and Vice Chair, Hudson InstituteAndré Kudelski, Chairman and CEO, Kudelski GroupUlysses Kyriacopoulos, Chairman, S&B Industrial Minerals S.A.Christine Lagarde, Managing Director, International Monetary FundJ. Kurt Lauk, Chairman of the Economic Council to the CDU, BerlinLawrence Lessig, Roy L. Furman Professor of Law and Leadership, Harvard Law SchoolThomas Leysen, Chairman of the Board of Directors, KBC GroupChristian Lindner, Party Leader, Free Democratic Party (FDP NRW)Stefan Löfven, Party Leader, Social Democratic Party (SAP)Peter Löscher, President and CEO, Siemens AGPeter Mandelson, Chairman, Global Counsel; Chairman, Lazard InternationalJessica T. Mathews, President, Carnegie Endowment for International PeaceFrank McKenna, Chair, Brookfield Asset ManagementJohn Micklethwait, Editor-in-Chief, The EconomistThierry de Montbrial, President, French Institute for International RelationsMario Monti, Former Italian Prime MinisterCraig J. Mundie, Senior Advisor to the CEO, Microsoft CorporationAlberto Nagel, CEO, MediobancaH.R.H. Princess Beatrix of The NetherlandsAndrew Y.Ng, Co-Founder, CourseraJorma Ollila, Chairman, Royal Dutch Shell, plcDavid Omand, Visiting Professor, King’s College LondonGeorge Osborne, Chancellor of the ExchequerEmanuele Ottolenghi, Senior Fellow, Foundation for Defense of DemocraciesSoli Özel, Senior Lecturer, Kadir Has University; Columnist, Habertürk NewspaperAlexis Papahelas, Executive Editor, Kathimerini NewspaperŞafak Pavey, Turkish MPValérie Pécresse, French MPRichard N. Perle, Resident Fellow, American Enterprise InstituteDavid H. Petraeus, General, U.S. Army (Retired)Paulo Portas, Portugal Minister of State and Foreign AffairsJ. Robert S Prichard, Chair, Torys LLPViviane Reding, Vice President and Commissioner for Justice, Fundamental Rights and Citizenship, European CommissionHeather M. Reisman, CEO, Indigo Books & Music Inc.Hélène Rey, Professor of Economics, London Business SchoolSimon Robertson, Partner, Robertson Robey Associates LLP; Deputy Chairman, HSBC HoldingsGianfelice Rocca, Chairman,Techint GroupJacek Rostowski, Minister of Finance and Deputy Prime MinisterRobert E. Rubin, Co-Chairman, Council on Foreign Relations; Former Secretary of the TreasuryMark Rutte, Dutch Prime MinisterAndreas Schieder, Austrian State Secretary of FinanceEric E. Schmidt, Executive Chairman, Google Inc.Rudolf Scholten, Member of the Board of Executive Directors, Oesterreichische Kontrollbank AGAntónio José Seguro, Secretary General, Portuguese Socialist PartyJean-Dominique Senard, CEO, Michelin GroupKristin Skogen Lund, Director General, Confederation of Norwegian EnterpriseAnne-Marie Slaughter, Bert G. Kerstetter ’66 University Professor of Politics and International Affairs, Princeton UniversityPeter D. Sutherland, Chairman, Goldman Sachs InternationalMartin Taylor, Former Chairman, Syngenta AGTidjane Thiam, Group CEO, Prudential plcPeter A. Thiel, President, Thiel CapitalCraig B. Thompson, President and CEO, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer CenterJakob Haldor Topsøe, Partner, AMBROX Capital A/SJutta Urpilainen, Finnish Minister of FinanceDaniel L. Vasella, Honorary Chairman, Novartis AGPeter R. Voser, CEO, Royal Dutch Shell plcBrad Wall, Premier of Saskatchewan Province, CanadaJacob Wallenberg, Chairman, Investor ABKevin Warsh, Distinguished Visiting Fellow, The Hoover Institution, Stanford UniversityGalen G.Weston, Executive Chairman, Loblaw Companies LimitedBaroness Williams of Crosby, Member, House of LordsMartin H. Wolf, Chief Economics Commentator, The Financial TimesJames D. Wolfensohn, Chairman and CEO, Wolfensohn and CompanyDavid Wright, Vice Chairman, Barclays plcRobert B. Zoellick, Distinguished Visiting Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics

The Bilderberg  Chairman is
Henri de Castries,  Chairman and CEO, AXA Group

The Members of the Bilderberg Steering committee are: 

DEUAckermann, JosefChairman of the Board, Zurich Insurance Group Ltd
GBRAgius, MarcusFormer Chairman, Barclays plc
USAAltman, Roger C.Executive Chairman, Evercore Partners
PRTBalsemão, Francisco P.
Chairman and CEO, IMPRESA
FRABaverez, NicolasPartner, Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
ITABernabè, FrancoChairman and CEO, Telecom Italia
NORBrandtzæg, Svein R.
President and CEO, Norsk Hydro ASA
ESPCebrián, Juan LuisExecutive Chairman, Grupo PRISA
CANClark, W. EdmundPresident and CEO, TD Bank Group
GBRClarke, KennethMember of Parliament
BELDavignon, EtienneMinister of State
DEUEnders, ThomasCEO, EADS
DNKFederspiel, UlrikExecutive Vice President, Haldor Topsøe A/S
NLDHalberstadt, VictorProfessor of Public Economics, Leiden University
USAJacobs, Kenneth M.Chairman and CEO, Lazard
USAJohnson, James A.Chairman, Johnson Capital Partners
GBRKerr, JohnIndependent Member, House of Lords
USAKleinfeld, KlausChairman and CEO, Alcoa
TURKoç, Mustafa V.Chairman, Koç Holding A.S.
USAKravis, Marie-JoséeSenior Fellow and Vice Chair, Hudson Institute
USAMathews, Jessica T.President, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace
USAMundie, Craig J.Senior Advisor to the CEO, Microsoft Corporation
FINOllila, JormaChairman, Royal Dutch Shell plc
USAPerle, Richard N.Resident Fellow, American Enterprise Institute
CANReisman, Heather M.CEO, Indigo Books & Music Inc.
AUTScholten, RudolfMember of the Board of Executive Directors, Oesterreichische Kontrollbank AG
IRLSutherland, Peter D.Chairman, Goldman Sachs International
USAThiel, Peter A.President, Thiel Capital
INTTrichet, Jean-ClaudeHonorary Governor, Banque de France; Former President, European Central Bank
GRCTsoukalis, LoukasPresident, ELIAMEP
CHEVasella, Daniel L.Honorary Chairman, Novartis AG
SWEWallenberg, JacobChairman, Investor AB
USAWarsh, KevinDistinguished Visiting Fellow, The Hoover Institution, Stanford University
David Rockefeller is a member of the Advisory Group
http://www.bilderbergmeetings.org/governance.html

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Comprehensive Conspiracy Theory: JFK, 911, Iran Contra & Watergate
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 01:36:46 AM »
Nothing to see here, all Tin Foil...

RE

The Hidden Government Group Linking JFK, Watergate, Iran-Contra and 9/11

Captains-America-Dick-Cheney-and-Donald-Rumsfeld-rigged-to-self-destruct.-By-Mr.-Fish1-298x300

First Published by WhoWhatWhy

Peter Dale Scott is considered the father of “Deep Politics”— the study of hidden permanent institutions and interests whose influence on the political realm transcends the elected, appointed and career officials who come and go.

A Professor of English at Berkeley and a former Canadian diplomat, he is the author of several critically acclaimed books on the pivotal events of our country’s recent past, including Deep Politics and the Death of JFK ; Drugs, Oil, and War: The United States in Afghanistan, Colombia, and Indochina (War and Peace Library); The Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire, and the Future of America and  American War Machine: Deep Politics, the CIA Global Drug Connection, and the Road to Afghanistan (War and Peace Library)He is also a poet, whose long work, Coming to Jakarta: A Poem about Terror, was hailed as “the most important political poem to appear in the English language in a very long time,” by Robert Hass, Poet Laureate of the United States from 1995 to 1997. 

01Daniel Ellsberg said of his book Drugs, Oil and War, “It makes most academic and journalistic explanations of our past and current interventions read like government propaganda written for children.”

What follows is based on a recent Scott lecture entitled “The JFK Assassination and Other Deep Events”, and will be expanded on further in his next book, The American Deep Statedue out in November.

For some time now, I have been analyzing American history in the light of what I have called structural deep events: events, like the JFK assassination, the Watergate break-in, Iran-Contra, or 9/11, which repeatedly involve law-breaking or violence, are mysterious to begin with, are embedded in ongoing covert processes, have political consequences that enlarge covert government, and are subsequently covered up by systematic falsifications in the mainstream media and internal government records.

The more I study these deep events, the more I see suggestive similarities between them, increasing the possibility that they are not unrelated external intrusions on American history, but parts of an endemic process, sharing to some degree or other a common source.

A deep state event seen from deep space. New York City, 9/11.  NASA Photo

Image: Deep State Event—Deep View. New York City, 9/11. NASA Photo

For example, one factor linking Dallas, Watergate, Iran-Contra, and 9/11, has been the involvement in all four deep events of personnel involved in America’s highest-level emergency planning, known since the 1950s as Continuity of Government (COG) planning, or more colloquially inside the Pentagon as “the Doomsday Project.” A few of these actors may have been located at the top, as overseers of the secret COG system. Others – including some I shall talk about today – were located further down in its secret communications network.

I see this planning group as one among many in what I have chosen to call the American deep state, along with agencies like the CIA and NSA, the private groups like Booz Allen Hamilton to which more than half of the US intelligence budget is outsourced, and finally the powerful banks and corporations whose views are well represented in the CIA and NSA. But if only one group among many, the COG planning group is also special, because of its control of and access to a communications channel, not under government control, that can reach deeply into the US social structure. I discuss these matters at some length in my next book, The American Deep State, due out in November.

03COG planning was originally authorized by Truman and Eisenhower as planning for a response to a crippling atomic attack that had decapitated government. In consequence its planning group contemplated extreme measures, including what Alfonso Chardy in 1987 called “suspension of the Constitution.” And yet in Iran-Contra its asset of a secret communications network, developed for the catastrophe of decapitation, was used instead to evade an official embargo on arms sales to Iran that dated back to 1979. My question today is whether the network could have been similarly misused in November 1963.

The Iran-contra misuse has been well-documented. Oliver North supervised the sale of arms to Iran by using his resources as the National Security Council action officer for COG planning, under cover of a “National Program Office” that was overseen by then Vice-President George H. W.  Bush. North and his superiors could thus use the COG emergency network, known then as Flashboard, for the arms sales to Iran that had to be concealed from other parts of the Washington bureaucracy as well as the public. So when North had to send emergency instructions for arms delivery to the US Embassy in Lisbon, instructions that directly contravened the embargo prohibiting such sales, he used the Flashboard network to avoid alerting the Ambassador and other unwitting personnel.

04The documented example of Iran-Contra allows me to explain what I am saying about the users of the COG network, and also what I am not saying. To begin with, I am not saying that a single “Secret Team” has for decades been using the COG network to manipulate the US Government from outside it. There is no evidence to suggest that North’s actions in Iran-Contra were known to any of his superiors other than CIA chief William Casey and probably George Bush. The point is that a very small group had access to a high-level secret network outside government review, in order to implement a program in opposition to government policy. They succumbed to the temptation to use this secure network that had been designed for other purposes. I have argued elsewhere that this secure network was used again on 9/11, to implement key orders for which the 9/11 Commission could find no records. Whether it was also used for illicit purposes is not known.

It is certain that the COG emergency network program survived North’s demise, and continued to be secretly developed for decades, at a cost of billions, and overseen by a team including Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld. It is relevant that the two men’s presence on the committee spanned three administrations – those of Reagan, Bush I, and Clinton — even though at one point under Clinton neither man held a position inside the U.S. government. Such continuity was essential for a group so secret that few records existed of its activities. And on 9/11 COG plans were officially implemented for the first time, by Vice President Cheney and Defense Secretary Rumsfeld, the two men who had planned them for so many years.

Whether or not they knew about Iran-Contra, Cheney and Rumsfeld were on the COG planning committee at the time of Iran-Contra. There is no such obvious link between COG planning and Watergate, but the involvement of COG personnel in Watergate is nonetheless striking. James McCord, one of the Watergate burglars, was a member of a small Air Force Reserve unit in Washington attached to the Office of Emergency Preparedness (OEP) that was assigned “to draw up lists of radicals and to develop contingency plans for censorship of the news media and U.S. mail in time of war.” His unit was part of the Wartime Information Security Program (WISP), which had responsibility for activating “contingency plans for imposing censorship on the press, the mails and all telecommunications (including government communications) [and] preventive detention of civilian ‘security risks,’ who would be placed in military ‘camps.’” In addition, John Dean, perhaps the central Watergate figure, had overseen secret COG activities when serving as the associate deputy attorney general.

05In the case of the JFK assassination, I wish to focus on two men who functioned as part of the communications network of the Office of Emergency Planning (OEP), the agency renamed in 1968 as the Office of Emergency Preparedness (to which McCord was attached), and renamed again in 1982 as the National Program Office (for which Oliver North was the action officer).

These two men (there are others) are Winston Lawson, the Secret Service advance man who from the lead car of the motorcade was in charge of the Secret Service radio channels operating in the motorcade; and Jack Crichton, the army intelligence reserve officer who with Deputy Dallas Police Chief George Lumpkin selected the Russian interpreter for Marina Oswald’s first (and falsified) FBI interview.

Lawson has drawn the critical attention of JFK researchers, both for dubious actions he took before and during the assassination, and also for false statements he made after it (some of them under oath). For example, Lawson reported after the assassination that motorcycles were deployed on “the right and left flanks of the President’s car” (17 WH 605). On the morning of November 22, however, the orders had been changed (3 WH 244), so that the motorcycles rode instead, as Lawson himself testified to the Warren Commission, “just back of the President’s car” (4 WH 338; cf. 21 WH 768-70). Captain Lawrence of the Dallas Police testified that that the proposed side escorts were redeployed to the rear on Lawson’s own instructions (7 WH 580-81; cf. 18 WH 809, 21 WH 571). This would appear to have left the President more vulnerable to a possible crossfire.

Early on November 22, at Love Field, Lawson installed, in what would become the lead car, the base radio whose frequencies were used by all Secret Service agents on the motorcade. This radio channel, operated by the White House Communications Agency (WHCA), was used for some key decisions before and after the assassination, yet its records, unlike those of the Dallas Police Department (DPD) Channels One and Two, were never made available to the Warren Commission, or any subsequent investigation. The tape was not withheld because it was irrelevant; on the contrary, it contained very significant information.

06The WHCA actually reports to this day on its website that the agency was “a key player in documenting the assassination of President Kennedy.” However it is not clear for whom this documentation was conducted, or why it was not made available to the Warren Commission, the House Select Committee on Assassinations, or the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB). It should have been.

For one thing, the WHCA tape, as Vincent Palamara has written, contains the “key” to the unresolved mystery of who, after the shooting, redirected the motorcade to Parkland hospital. The significance of this apparently straightforward command, about which there was much conflicting testimony, is heightened when we read repeated orders on the Dallas Police radio transcript to “cut all traffic for the ambulance going to Parkland code 3” (17 WH 395) – the ambulance in question having nothing to do with the president (whose shooting had not yet been announced on the DPD radio). In fact the ambulance had been dispatched about ten minutes before the assassination to pick someone from in front of the Texas School Book Depository (TSBD), who was wrongly suspected of having suffered an epileptic seizure.

Lawson later reported to the Secret Service that he heard on his radio “that we should proceed to the nearest hospital.” He wrote also that he “requested Chief Curry to have the hospital contacted,” and then that “Our Lead Car assisted the motorcycles in escorting the President’s vehicle to Parkland Hospital” (17 WH 632), cf. 21 WH 580). In other words, after hearing something on the WHCA radio, Lawson helped ensure that the President’s limousine would follow the route already set up by the motorcycles for the epileptic. (In his very detailed Warren Commission testimony, Lawson said nothing about the route having already been cleared. On the contrary he testified that “we had to do some stopping of cars and holding our hands out the windows and blowing the sirens and horns to get through” (4 WH 354).

The WHCA radio channel used by Lawson and others communicated almost directly to the WHCA base at Mount Weather in Virginia, the base facility of the COG network. From there, Secret Service communications were relayed to the White House, via the

batteries of communications equipment connecting Mount Weather with the White House and “Raven Rock” — the underground Pentagon sixty miles north of Washington — as well as with almost every US military unit stationed around the globe.

Jack Crichton, head of the 488th Army Intelligence Reserve unit of Dallas, was also part of this Mount Weather COG network. This was in his capacity as chief of intelligence for Dallas Civil Defense, which worked out of an underground Emergency Operating Center. As Russ Baker reports, “Because it was intended for ‘continuity of government’ operations during an attack, [the Center] was fully equipped with communications equipment.” In retrospect the Civil Defense Program is remembered derisively, for having advised schoolchildren, in the event of an atomic attack, to hide their heads under their desks.But in 1963 civil defense was one of the urgent responsibilities assigned to the Office of Emergency Planning, which is why Crichton, as much as Secret Service agent Lawson, could be in direct touch with the OEP’s emergency communications network at Mount Weather.

07Jack Crichton is of interest because he, along with DPD Deputy Chief George Lumpkin of the 488th Army Intelligence Reserve unit, was responsible for choosing a Russian interpreter for Marina Oswald from the right-wing Russian community. This man was Ilya Mamantov, who translated for Marina Oswald at her first DPD interview on November 22. What she allegedly said in Russian at this interview was later used to bolster what I have called the “phase one” story, still promoted from some CIA sources, that Russia and/or Cuba were behind the assassination.

As summarized by the FBI, Mamantov’s account of Marina’s Russian testimony was as follows:

MARINA OSWALD advised that LEE HARVEY OSWALD owned a rifle which he used in Russia about two years ago. She observed what she presumed to be the same rifle in a blanket in the garage at [Ruth Paine’s residence]…. MARINA OSWALD stated that on November 22, she had been shown a rifle in the Dallas Police Department…. She stated that it was a dark color like the one that she had seen, but she did not recall the sight.

These specific details – that Marina said she had seen a rifle that was dark and scopeless – were confirmed in an affidavit (signed by Marina and Mamantov, 24 WH 219) that was taken by DPD officer B.L. Senkel (24 WH 249). They were confirmed again by Ruth Paine, who witnessed the Mamantov interview, (3 WH 82). They were confirmed again the next night in an interview of Marina by the Secret Service, translated by Mamantov’s close friend Peter Gregory. But a Secret Service transcript of the interview reveals that the source of these details was Gregory, not Marina:

(Q) This gun, was it a rifle or a pistol or just what kind of a gun? Can she answer that?

(A) It was a gun

Mr. Gregory asked: Can you describe it?

NOTE: Subject said: I cannot describe it because a rifle to me like all rifles.

Gregory translation: She said she cannot describe it. It was sort of a dark rifle just like any other common rifle…

Subject in Russian: It was a hump (or elevation) but I never saw through the scope….

Gregory translation: She says there was an elevation on the rifle but there was no scope – no telescope.

We have to conclude not just that Gregory had falsified Marina’s testimony (“a rifle to me like all rifles”); but so probably had his friend Mamantov, who later testified no less than seven times to the Warren Commission that Marina had used the word “dark” to describe the gun. There were others in Dallas who claimed that Oswald’s gun indeed had been scopeless, until Oswald had a scope installed on it by Dallas gunsmith Dial Ryder. The Warren Report elaborately refuted this corroborated claim, and concluded that “the authenticity of the repair tag” used to support it was “subject to grave doubts.” (WR 317).

We can see here, what the Warren Commission did not wish to see, signs of a conspiracy to misrepresent Marina’s testimony, and possibly to link Oswald’s gun to a dark and scopeless rifle he had in the Soviet Union. Our concerns that Mamantov misrepresented her lead us to concerns about why two Army Intelligence Reserve officers from the 488th unit (Jack Crichton and Deputy DPD Chief George Lumpkin) selected Mamantov as her interpreter. Our concerns are increased when we see that B.L. Senkel, the DPD officer who took Marina’s suspect affidavit, was the partner of F.P. Turner, who collected the dubious rifle repair tag (24 WH 328), and that both men spent most of November 22 with DPD Deputy Chief Lumpkin. For example, they were with Lumpkin in the pilot car of the motorcade when Lumpkin was communicating with Winston Lawson in the lead car behind them.

I conclude that when we look at the conduct of the two men we know to have been parts of the COG emergency communications network in Dallas, we see patterns of sinister behavior that also involved others, or what we may call conspiratorial behavior. These concatenated efforts to implicate Oswald in a phase-one conspiracy narrative lead me to propose a hypothesis for which I have neither evidence nor an alternative explanation: namely, that someone on the WHCA network may have been the source for the important unexplained description on the Dallas Police tapes of a suspect who had exactly the false height and weight (5 feet 10 inches, 165 pounds) recorded for Oswald in his FBI and CIA files.

08Note that there are no other known sources ascribing this specific height and weight to Oswald. For example, when he was arrested and charged in Dallas that same day, Oswald was recorded as having a height of 5’9 ½ inches, and a weight of 131 pounds. The first reference to Oswald as 5’10”, 165 pounds, was that offered by Oswald’s mother Marguerite to FBI Agent Fain in May 1960, when Oswald himself was absent in Russia.

The DPD officer contributing the description on the Police Channel was Inspector Herbert Sawyer, who allegedly had heard it from someone outside the Texas School Book Depository (TSBD) whom he could not identify or describe. The Warren Report said categorically that his source was Howard Brennan (WR 5), and that on the evening of November 22, Brennan “identified Oswald as the person in the lineup who bore the closest resemblance to the man in the window but he said that he was unable to make a positive identification” (WR 145). But there are many reasons to doubt this, starting with conflicts in Brennan’s own testimony (as Anthony Summers reported in Conspiracy, pp. 109-10) . And Ian Griggs has made a strong case that Brennan never saw Oswald in a line-up that evening. (There are police records placing Oswald in three line-ups that day, and corroborating witness reports of them; but there is no evidence whatever that Brennan attended any of the three.)

There is another strong reason to doubt that the source was Brennan. Brennan testified later to the Warren Commission that he saw his suspect in a window of the Texas School Book Depository, “standing up and leaning against the left window sill.” Pressed to describe how much of the suspect he saw, Brennan answered, “I could see probably his whole body, from his hips up. But at the time that he was firing the gun, a possibility from his belt up” (3 WH 144).

The awkwardness of Brennan’s language draws attention to the fundamental problem about the description. It is hard to imagine anyone giving a full height and weight estimate from seeing someone who was only partially visible in a window. So there are intrinsic grounds for believing the description must have come from another source. And when we see that the same description is found in Oswald’s FBI and CIA files — and nowhere else – there are reasons to suspect the source was from government secret files.

We have seen that there was interaction in Dallas between the WHCA and DPD radio channels, thanks to the WHCA portable radio that Lawson had installed in the lead car of the presidential motorcade. This radio in turn was in contact by police radio with the pilot car ahead of it, carrying Dallas Police Department (DPD) Deputy Chief Lumpkin of the 488th Army Intelligence Reserve unit. At the same time, as noted above, it was in contact with the COG nerve center at Mount Weather, Virginia. And Mount Weather had the requisite secret communications to receive information from classified intelligence files, without other parts of the government being alerted.

Mount Weather COG Nerve Center

Image: Mount Weather COG Nerve Center

Permit me at this moment an instructive digression. It is by now well established that Kennedy in 1963 was concerned enough by “the threat of far-right treason” that he urgently persuaded Hollywood director John Frankenheimer “to turn [the novel] Seven Days in May into a movie.” In this book, to quote Wikipedia, a charismatic superior officer, Air Force General James Mattoon Scott, intend[s] to stage a coup d’état …. According to the plan, an undisclosed Army combat unit known as ECOMCON (Emergency COMmunications CONtrol) will seize control of the country’s telephone, radio, and television networks, while the conspiracy directs the military and its allies in Congress and the media from “Mount Thunder” (a continuity of government base based on Mount Weather).

It is no secret also that in 1963 Kennedy had aroused major right-wing dissatisfaction, largely because of signs of his increasing rapprochement with the Soviet Union. The plot of the book and movie reflects the concern of liberals at the time about generals like General Edwin Walker, who had resigned in 1961 after Kennedy criticized his political activities in the Army. (Walker had given his troops John Birch Society literature, along with the names of right-wing candidates to vote for.) We can assume however that Kennedy had no firm evidence of a Mount Weather conspiracy: if he had, it is unlikely his response would have just been to sponsor a fictionalized movie.

It is important at this stage to point out that, although COG elements like Mount Weather were considered part of the Pentagon, the COG “government in waiting” was at no time under military control. On the contrary, President Eisenhower had ensured that it was broadly based at the top, so its planners included some of the nation’s top corporate leaders, like Frank Stanton of CBS. By all accounts of COG leadership in the decades after Reagan took office in 1981, this so-called “shadow government” still included CEOs of private corporations, like Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney, as well as three former CIA directors: Richard Helms, James Schlesinger, and George Bush.

Alfonso Chardy wrote in 1987 that the “virtual parallel government” empowering North to run Iran-Contra had also developed “a secret contingency plan that called for suspension of the Constitution, turning control of the United States over to FEMA.” Subsequently North was questioned in the Iran-Contra Hearings about this charge, but was prevented by the Committee Chairman, Democratic Senator Inouye, from answering in a public session.

Later, investigating the powerful COG planning group, CNN called it “a hidden government [in the USA] about which you know nothing.” James Mann emphasized its hawkish continuity, unaffected by changes of presidency in the White House:

Cheney and Rumsfeld were, in a sense, a part of the permanent, though hidden, national security apparatus of the United States, inhabitants of a world in which Presidents come and go, but America always keeps on fighting.”

Cheney and Rumsfeld in 1974

Image: Cheney and Rumsfeld in 1974

Going one step further, Andrew Cockburn quoted a Pentagon source to support a claim that a COG planning group under Clinton was now for the first time staffed “almost exclusively with Republican hawks.” In the words of his source, “You could say this was a secret government-in-waiting. The Clinton administration was extraordinarily inattentive, [they had] no idea what was going on.”

The Pentagon official’s description of COG planners as a “secret government-in-waiting” under Clinton (which still included both Cheney and Rumsfeld) is very close to the standard definition of a cabal, as a group of persons secretly united to bring about a change or overthrow of government. A very similar situation existed under Jimmy Carter, when some of those who would later figure in Iran-Contra (notably George H.W. Bush and Theodore Shackley) worked with chiefs of foreign intelligence services (the so-called Safari Club) “to start working with [former DCI Richard] Helms [then U.S. Ambassador to Iran] and his most trusted operatives outside of Congressional and even Agency purview.” This group began by backing guerrilla forces in Africa (notably UNITA of Jonas Savimbi in Angola), which they knew would not be backed by the CIA under William Colby or Stansfield Turner.

But some of these figures, notably Alexandre de Marenches of the French spy agency SDECE, became involved with Casey, Bush, Shackley, and others in a 1980 plot – the so-called Republican “October Surprise” – to prevent the reelection of Jimmy Carter. The essence of this plot was to frustrate Carter’s efforts to repatriate the hostages seized in the U.S. Tehran Embassy, by negotiating a Republican deal with the Iranians that would be more to their liking. (The hostages in fact were returned hours after Reagan took office in 1981.)

This Republican hostage plot in 1980 deserves to be counted as a fifth structural deep event in recent US history. Unquestionably the illicit contacts with Iran established by the October Surprise Group in 1980 became, as Alfonso Chardy wrote, the “genesis” of the Iran-Contra arms deals overseen by the COG/ Mount Weather planners in 1984-86.

In an important interview with journalist Robert Parry, the veteran CIA officer Miles Copeland claimed that a “CIA within the CIA” inspired the 1980 plot, having concluded by 1980 that Jimmy Carter (in Copeland’s words) “had to be removed from the presidency for the good of the country.” Copeland made it clear to Parry that he shared this view that Carter “represented a grave threat to the nation,” and former Mossad agent Ari Ben-Menashe told Parry that Copeland himself was in fact “the conceptual father” of the 1980 arms-for-hostages deal, and had “brokered [the] Republican cooperation with Israel.” And Copeland, together with his client Adnan Khashoggi whom he advised, went on with Shackley to help launch the 1984-85 Iranian arms deals as well.

However, just as Knebel in Seven Days may have overestimated the military component in the COG Mount Weather

Peter Dale Scott, Russ Baker, David Talbot, Daniel Ellsberg, Jefferson Morley at a recent lunch

Image: Peter Dale Scott, Russ Baker, David Talbot, Daniel Ellsberg, Jefferson Morley at a recent lunch

leadership, so Copeland may have dwelt too exclusively on the CIA component behind the October Surprise Group. In The Road to 9/11, I suggested that this CIA network overlapped with a so-called “Project Alpha,” working at the time for David Rockefeller and the Chase Manhattan Bank on Iran issues, which was chaired by the veteran establishment figure John J. McCloy.

I will conclude by again quoting James Mann’s dictum that the Mount Weather COG leadership constitutes a “permanent, though hidden, national security apparatus of the United States, … a world in which Presidents come and go, but America always keeps on fighting.” And I would like this audience to investigate whether elements of this enduring leadership, with its ever-changing mix of CIA veterans and civilian leaders, may have constituted “a secret government-in-waiting,” not just under Clinton in the 1990s, not just under Carter in 1980, but also under Kennedy in November 1963.

Notes:

[1] Peter Dale Scott, The American Deep State: Wall Street, Big Oil, and the Attack on U.S. Democracy (Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield, 2014 [forthcoming]). 1.

[2] For a partial list of anomalies between the JFK assassination and 9/11, see Peter Dale Scott, The War Conspiracy: JFK, 9/11, and the Deep Politics of War (New York: Skyhorse, 2013), 341-96.

[3] Tim Shorrock, Spies for Hire (New York: Simon & Schuster, 2008), 6.

[4] Alfonso Chardy, “Reagan Aides and the Secret Government,” Miami Herald, July 5, 1987, http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=9877: “Some of President Reagan’s top advisers have operated a virtual parallel government outside the traditional Cabinet departments and agencies almost from the day Reagan took office, congressional investigators and administration officials have concluded.”

[5] Iran-Contra Committee Counsel Arthur Liman, questioning Oliver North, “had North repeat his testimony that the diversion was Casey’s idea” (Arthur Liman, Lawyer: a life of counsel and controversy [New York: Public Affairs, 1998], 341).

[6] James Bamford, A Pretext for War: 9/11, Iraq, and the abuse of America’s intelligence agencies (New York: Doubleday, 2004), 72.

[7] Peter Dale Scott, The Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire, and the Future of America (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2007), 213-14, 219-29.

[8] Bamford, A Pretext for War, 71-81.

[9] Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, All the President’s Men (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1974), 23.

[10] Jim Hougan, Secret Agenda (New York: Random House, 1984), 16. For more on WISP, see David Wise, The Politics of Lying: Government Deception, Secrecy, and Power (New York: Random House, 1973), 134-37.

[11] John Dean, Worse Than Watergate: The Secret Presidency of George W. Bush (New York: Little Brown, 2004), 120. In addition Howard Baker, in 1973 the ranking Republican member of the Senate Committee that investigated Watergate, was later  part of the COG secret leadership (CNN Special Assignment, November 17, 1991).

[12] James Mann, Rise of the Vulcans: The History of Bush’s War Cabinet (New York: Viking, 2004), 142.

[13] Warren Commission Hearings, Vol. 9, p.106 (or 9 WH 106) ; Scott, Deep Politics, 275-76; Russ Baker, Family of Secrets: The Bush Dynasty, the Powerful Forces That Put It in the White House, and What Their Influence Means for America (New York: Bloomsbury Press, 2009), 119-22.

[14] “White House Communications Agency,” Signal Corps Regimental History, http://signal150.army.mil/white_house_communications_agency.html.

[15] In the 1990s the WHCA supplied statements to the ARRB concerning communications between Dallas and Washington on November 22 (NARA #172-10001-10002 to NARA #172-10000-10008).  The Assassination Records Review Board also attempted to obtain from the WHCA the unedited original tapes of conversations from Air Force One on the return trip from Dallas, November 22, 1963. (Edited and condensed versions of these tapes had been available since the 1970s from the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library in Austin, Texas.) The attempt was unsuccessful: “The Review Board’s repeated written and oral inquiries of the White House Communications Agency did not bear fruit. The WHCA could not produce any records that illuminated the provenance of the edited tapes.” See Assassinations Records Review Board: Final Report, chapter 6, Part 1, 116, http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/review-board/report/chapter-06-part1.pdf.

[16] 17 WH 394-95, 23 WH 841; 17 WH 368, 395; Scott, Deep Politics and the Death of JFK, 273-74, 278. The alleged epileptic walked away from the ambulance after it arrived at Highland (Warren Commission Document 1245, 6-10).

[17] Statement of Special Agent Winston E. Lawson [to Secret Service],” 17 WH 632; Scott, Deep Politics and the Death of JFK, 278.

[18] Richard Pollock, “The Mysterious Mountain,” The Progressive, March, 1976; cf. “Mount Weather’s ‘Government-in-Waiting,’” http://www.serendipity.li/jsmill/mt_weather.htm.

[19] Russ Baker, Family of Secrets, 121.

[20] Dee Garrison , Bracing for Armageddon: Why Civil Defense Never Worked

(New York: Oxford University Press, 2006), 46.

[21] Warren Commission Exhibit 1778, 23 WH 383-84.

[22] Commission Document 344 – SS Howard Tape Copy of 01 Dec 1963, p. 23.

[23] Lee Harvey Oswald fingerprint card, 17 WH 308. The heaviest Oswald actually weighed was 150 pounds, when he left the Marines in 1959 (19 WH 584, 595).

[24] FBI report by Special Agent Fain, dated May 12, 1960, 17 WH 706. In the same report Marguerite named Oswald’s father as “Edward Lee Oswald.” His actual name was Robert Edward Lee Oswald (WR 669-70).

[25] Testimony of Inspector Herbert Sawyer, 6 WH 321-22:  “I remember that he was a white man and that he wasn’t young and he wasn’t old.” Cf. Dallas Police Channel Two Tape at 12:25 PM (23 WH 916).

[26] Ian Griggs, “Did Howard Leslie Brennan Really Attend an Identification Lineup?”

http://spot.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_issues/28th_Issue/id_draft.html.

[27] Statement of Secret Service Winston Lawson, 17 WH 630: “I checked with Chief Curry as to location of Lead Car [at  Love Field] and had WHCA portable radio put in and checked.”

[28] “The lead car was in radio contact with the pilot car by police radio, and with the Presidential limousine by Secret Service portable radios” (Pamela McElwain-Brown, “The Presidential Lincoln Continental SS-100-X,” Dealey Plaza Echo, Volume 3, Issue 2, 23, http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=16241&relPageId=27). Cf. Scott, Deep Politics and the Death of JFK, 272-75 (Lumpkin).

[29] David Talbot, Brothers: the hidden history of the Kennedy years (New York: Free Press, 2007), 148.

[30] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_in_May.

[31] Jonathan M. Schoenwald, A time for choosing: the rise of modern American conservatism (New York: Oxford University Press, 2001), .

[32] Hope Yen, “Eisenhower Letters Reveal Doomsday Plan: Citizens Tapped to Take Over in Case of Attack,” AP, Deseret News, March 21, 2004, http://www.deseretnews.com/article/595050502/Eisenhower-letters-reveal-doomsday-plan.html?pg=all.

[33] CNN Special Assignment, November 17, 1991.

[34] Alfonso Chardy, “Reagan Aides and the Secret Government,” Miami Herald, July 5, 1987, http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=9877: “Some of President Reagan’s top advisers have operated a virtual parallel government outside the traditional Cabinet departments and agencies almost from the day Reagan took office, congressional investigators and administration officials have concluded.”

[35] Iran-Contra Committee Counsel Arthur Liman, questioning Oliver North, “had North repeat his testimony that the diversion was Casey’s idea” (Arthur Liman, Lawyer: a life of counsel and controversy [New York: Public Affairs, 1998], 341). Cf. The “October Surprise” allegations and the circumstances surrounding the release of the American hostages held in Iran: report of the Special Counsel to Senator Terry Sanford and Senator James M. Jeffords of the Committee on Foreign Relations, United States Senate, Volume 4, p. 33 (October Surprise Group).

[36] CNN Special Assignment, November 17, 1991.

[37] James Mann, Rise of the Vulcans, 145.

[38] Andrew Cockburn, Rumsfeld: His Rise, Fall, and Catastrophic Legacy (New York: Scribner, 2007), 88.

[39] Joseph J. Trento, Prelude to terror: the rogue CIA and the legacy of America’s private intelligence network (New York: Carroll & Graf, 2005), 61.

[40] Piero Gleijeses, Visions of Freedom: Havana, Washington, Pretoria and the struggle for Southern Africa, 1976-1991 (Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, [2013]), 66-68; Elaine Windrich, “The Laboratory of Hate: The Role of Clandestine Radio in the Angolan War,” International Journal of Cultural Studies 3(2), 2000.

[41] Alfonso Chardy, “Reagan Aides and the Secret Government,” Miami Herald, July 5, 1987, http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=9877: “The group, led by campaign foreign policy adviser Richard Allen, was founded out of concern Carter might pull off an “October surprise” such as a last-minute deal for the release of the hostages before the Nov. 4 election. One of the group’s first acts was a meeting with a man claiming to represent Iran who offered to release the hostages to Reagan.

Allen — Reagan’s first national security adviser— and another campaign aide, Laurence Silberman, told The Herald in April of the meeting. they said McFarlane, then a Senate Armed Services Committee aide, arranged and attended it. McFarlane later became Reagan’s national security adviser and played a key role in the Iran-contra affair. Allen and Silberman said they rejected the offer to release the hostages to Reagan.” [The Iranian was Houshang Lavi, and after Lavi’s death Robert Parry confirmed from Lavi’s diary that the meeting did take place].

[42] Alfonso Chardy, “Reagan Aides and the Secret Government,” Miami Herald, July 5, 1987, http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=9877.

[43] “America’s False History Allows the Powerful to Commit Crimes Without Consequence,” Mark Karlin Interview of Robert Parry, January 15, 2013, Truthout Interview, http://www.truth-out.org/progressivepicks/item/13904-americas-false-history-allows-the-powerful-to-commit-crimes-without-consequence.

[44] Robert Parry, Trick or Treason, 175.

[45] Peter Dale Scott, The Road to 9/11: Wealth, Empire, and the Future of America

(Berkeley: University of California Press, 2007), 81-83, 88. A key figure was CIA veteran and Copeland friend Archibald Roosevelt, in 1980 a Carter foe and also  employee of the Chase Manhattan Bank.

[46] Mann, Rise of the Vulcans, 145.

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN