AuthorTopic: You’re Never Going to Have a Legacy, so Give up Trying  (Read 139 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
You’re Never Going to Have a Legacy, so Give up Trying
« on: February 21, 2020, 09:03:58 AM »

One day, Conan O’Brien’s show will end. In time, the TV host will fade from public memory, relegated to a footnote in wonky discussions about early-21st century talk shows. Eventually, he will be entirely forgotten.

O’Brien himself has no problem with this. In an interview with the New York Times, he said any grand farewell show would be a waste. “Two years later, it’s going to be, ‘who’s Conan?’ This is going to sound grim, but eventually, all our graves go unattended.” Famous talk show hosts aren’t the only ones who have to reckon with their own insignificance. O’Brien recounts a conversation with actor Albert Brooks, in which he told Brooks he was awed by how his movies would “live on forever.” O’Brien describes the exchange as follows:

“And he looked at me and he said, [Albert Brooks voice] ‘What are you talking about? None of it matters.’ None of it matters? ‘No, that’s the secret. In 1940, people said Clark Gable is the face of the 20th Century. Who [expletive] thinks about Clark Gable? It doesn’t matter. You’ll be forgotten. I’ll be forgotten. We’ll all be forgotten.’”

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/you-re-never-going-to-have-a-legacy-so-give-up-trying?utm_source=pocket-newtab
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: You’re Never Going to Have a Legacy, so Give up Trying
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 09:49:32 AM »
Great love, acts of kindness, exciting experiences, and personal sacrifices for the wellbeing of others contain the best of human existence. They hold intrinsic value, regardless of whether they are remembered. This is the crucial point that every corporate villain in movies forgets: Destroying the lives of others for the sake of your own wealth and reputation is never the right choice.

Destruction by the villain produces a harvest of pain long after the villain is gone.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:11:47 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: You’re Never Going to Have a Legacy, so Give up Trying
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 01:56:00 PM »
When Homo Sushi runs out of enigma flavored kool-aid is when the planet can move forward & bling.....  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind