AuthorTopic: A Tent For Refugees That Collects Rainwater And Stores Solar Energy  (Read 324 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile

By Mayukh Saha

Syria has been reeling under a civil war since 2011 and it has resulted in one of the worst humanitarian crises in the current world. The Syrian Civil War has nearly 14 million residents of the country either as international refugees or who have been internally displaced, reports the United Nations.

When an architect realized the long-lasting effects of this apparently never-ending problem, she came up with a unique idea. Refugees seek shelter wherever they go. With such huge numbers of refugees, it is a problem for all communities to provide them all with shelter. So Abeer Seikaly, an architect of Jordanian-Canadian descent decided to design something to help these refugees of the Civil War.

This award-winning architect came up with the idea of ‘Weaving a Home’. This unique solution has multiple benefits embedded in it. The architect came up with the idea of a tent that would use high-strength plastic tubing which has been molded into sine-wave shaped curves. The tent itself will be able to enclose or expand, depending on the weather conditions. The double-layer surface of the tenthas the ability to keep cold and harsh winds out but allows cool air to enter during the warmer months. It can be easily broken down too to facilitate mobility.

https://www.naturalblaze.com/2019/12/this-woman-invented-a-tent-for-refugees-that-collects-rainwater-and-stores-solar-energy.html
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Weaving a Home
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 12:19:17 PM »

An ongoing development of performative structural fabric systems, exploring the social implications of creating homes for displaced communities

Displacement has become the reality of over 65 million people worldwide, with 34,000 people being uprooted every day due to political conflict, climate change or to the increasing scarcity of natural resources. Formal displacement camps, often uninviting environments which do very little to foster social interaction, are made up of temporary structures which follow uninspired systems of construction- too rigid to accommodate different scales of function. In my exploration of how architecture can act as an instrument for immediate social effect, evolved a series of prototypes which address how technology is influencing the way we build, dwell and interact in the 21st century.

https://abeerseikaly.com/is-architecture-a-social-technology/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind