AuthorTopic: Medical Error: The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US  (Read 3136 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Medical Error: The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US
« on: December 06, 2019, 09:46:39 AM »

Medical error is not included on death certificates or in rankings of cause of death. Martin Makary and Michael Daniel assess its contribution to mortality and call for better reporting
By Prof. Martin Makary, Michael Daniel, and Dr. Gary G. Kohls
Global Research, December 04, 2019
The BMJ 3 May 2016

This article was originally published in 2016.

Introduction

“2.6 million people die annually in low-and middle-income countries from medical errors, and that most of those deaths are related to misdiagnosis and administration of pharmaceutical products…Medication errors alone cost an estimated $42 billion (US dollars) annually. Unsafe surgical care procedures cause complications in up to 25% of patients resulting in 1 million deaths during or immediately after surgery annually…Four out of every ten patients are harmed during primary and ambulatory health care. The most detrimental errors are related to diagnosis, prescription and the use of medicines.” — The World Health Organization

https://www.globalresearch.ca/medical-error-third-leading-cause-death-us/5696705
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Error: The Third Leading Cause of Death in the US
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 11:28:44 AM »
There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

While I won't argue that plenty of medical mistakes happen, you have to consider that many of the people who die from them are quite sick in the first place, and that 100% of medical patients eventually die of something.

So it isn't a reasonable takeaway here to assume that the best way to stay alive is to completely avoid medical treatment.

Although I do generally try hard to stay out of hospitals, speaking personally.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 12:59:59 PM »

While I won't argue that plenty of medical mistakes happen, you have to consider that many of the people who die from them are quite sick in the first place, and that 100% of medical patients eventually die of something.

So it isn't a reasonable takeaway here to assume that the best way to stay alive is to completely avoid medical treatment.

While in hospital prior to your visit due to acute anemia (it took 3 units of blood and 3 days of feeding me vitamins to get my blood chemistry back in order), I contracted an infection in my legs which caused me to have to back in for that to be treated.  I didn't die from it obviously, but I wasn't feeling too good those days if you recall.

My current Cripple Helper was born with a deformed hip joint and got a hip replacement in her teens.  She contracted MRSA in hospital and the hip replacement had to be done oer again.  She didn't die either, but spent months on her back.

In both cases also, we both still receive a steady stream of bills from these doctors and hospitals, and she gets harassing phone calls as well.  When called she tells the she can't pay and never will be able to pay, so just stop calling please.  They keep calling anyhow.  She makes $13/hour.  The doctors make $300K a year.

What is wrong with this picture?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 01:30:31 PM »

While in hospital prior to your visit due to acute anemia (it took 3 units of blood and 3 days of feeding me vitamins to get my blood chemistry back in order), I contracted an infection in my legs which caused me to have to back in for that to be treated.  I didn't die from it obviously, but I wasn't feeling too good those days if you recall.

My current Cripple Helper was born with a deformed hip joint and got a hip replacement in her teens.  She contracted MRSA in hospital and the hip replacement had to be done oer again.  She didn't die either, but spent months on her back.

In both cases also, we both still receive a steady stream of bills from these doctors and hospitals, and she gets harassing phone calls as well.  When called she tells the she can't pay and never will be able to pay, so just stop calling please.  They keep calling anyhow.  She makes $13/hour.  The doctors make $300K a year.

What is wrong with this picture?

RE

That you blame nosocomial infections on your doctor? I don't think that one holds any water.

That doctors get paid better than cripple helpers? Cripple helpers don't expect to get doctor pay. You pay her, right? Give her a raise?

I personally am providing free room and board for a hospice worker, who happens to be my wife's good friend of more than 30 years. I'm not without empathy or caring for underpaid healthcare workers...but as an employer, my payroll is my biggest expense, and it goes up every year. I'm between a rock and hard place.

I won't argue in favor of bill collectors. It's a business niche , like the HOA business, dominated by extreme assholes. I just now had a mortgage company robo call me because my payment that is less than week late hasn't been paid yet.

Fuck 'em.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 01:41:32 PM »
After about 40 years of suffering, I finally figured out using the web my depression and muscle atrophy were caused by some sort of adrenal dysfunction. Thank you Tim Berners Lee.

I am much better now using magnesium supplements, adaptogens (herbs), meditation, yoga and chakra toning (amazing).

Even when I went to a "top doctor" neurologist and wrote on the intake form I suffered from depression as well as deltoid atrophy that got very serious because my pcp was a crack head, he did not connect my atrophy with my depression.

Notwithstanding some miraculous advances, the western medical model is seriously deficient.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 01:47:12 PM »

That doctors get paid better than cripple helpers? Cripple helpers don't expect to get doctor pay. You pay her, right? Give her a raise?

No, I don't.  I pay an agency $27/hr, and they pay her $13/hr.  I also had to sign an agreement I wouldn't hire any of their workers outside of the agency.  I offered though to pay her $20/hr off the books, but she's new and currently too scared to do that.

I'm not arguing that doctors should be paid the same as cripple helpers..  However, the difference is too extreme.  If you pay a Cripple Helper say $20/hr, on a 5 tier salary scale make the doctor's fees at $100/hr.  About every doctor I see gets at least $600/visit, and if I see him for 15 minutes that's doing good.  Most of the time it's just a PA or NP.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline AJ

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »
Just had to chime in with a useless opinion.
After professionally dealing with WC insurance carriers for 10 years. I think that the problem is Insurance itself. The amount the insurance industry rakes off of everything medical is obscene. I think Charles Hugh Smith's recent post on this subject hit some of the nails on the head. https://www.oftwominds.com/blogdec19/out-of-control12-19.html
Socialized medicine is the answer. Both Canada and Europe (except UK) seem to have universal healthcare without the impoverishment of the people using it. Sadly doctors don't get to be multi-millionaires in that system but I thought most people went to med school to do good :icon_scratch:
Oh, and I think we should nationalize Big Pharma!!
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »
Socialized medicine is the answer. Both Canada and Europe (except UK) seem to have universal healthcare without the impoverishment of the people using it. Sadly doctors don't get to be multi-millionaires in that system but I thought most people went to med school to do good :icon_scratch:

No Pre-Med I knew at Columbia or taught how to score well on the MCAT while working for The Princeton Review was in it to "do good".  They were in it to 🤑$MAKE MONEY$🤑

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 03:15:41 PM »

No Pre-Med I knew at Columbia or taught how to score well on the MCAT while working for The Princeton Review was in it to "do good".  They were in it to $MAKE MONEY$

RE
Having aced every science course I took through college physics and organic chemistry, I know these people very well. Almost all in it for the $ and ego problems.

But more to the point. After getting an MBA, I interviewed for a finance job a merck. The blue-eyed hr person took me into a HUGE office at Whitehall Station, looked me straight in the eye and said "physical chemistry is what separates the men from the boys".
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:34:41 PM by moniker »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »

No Pre-Med I knew at Columbia or taught how to score well on the MCAT while working for The Princeton Review was in it to "do good".  They were in it to $MAKE MONEY$

RE
Having aced every science course I took through college physics and organic chemistry, I know these people very well. Almost all in it for the $ and ego problems.

But more to the point. After getting an MBA, I interviewed for a finance job a merck. The blue-eyed hr person took me into HUGE office at Whitehall Station, looked me straight in the eye and said "physical chemistry is what separates the men from the boys".

It has been said that in Greece, you have to separate the Men from the Boys with a Crowbar.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 04:04:17 PM »
If you're suggesting said hr person wanted to get physical with me, I have some stories like that too. But I have two children to think of and don't want to be found floating in the Hudson River. :exp-rolleyes:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 04:06:23 PM by moniker »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »
If you're suggesting said hr person wanted to get physical with me, I have some stories like that too. But I have two children to think of and don't want to be found floating in the Hudson River. :exp-rolleyes:

Just a joke. lol.  A very OLD Joke.

The reality is of course that the Medical Industry needs to be Socialized, it's a Public Service like Teachers, Police, Firemen, Sanitation etc.

It should be paid on something similar to the GS Scale, where you get paid by level and experience.  In my example for instance you have 5 Levels.

L1-Nurses Aides/Cripple Helpers: $20/hr
L2-Technicians/EMTs: $40/hr
L3- Nurses : $60/hr
L4- Nurse Practitioners/Physicians Assistants: $80/hr
L5: Doctors: $100/hr

You could break this down quite a bit more with years of Experience, continuing education credits etc, but the basic idea here is that you don't get this HUGE stratification of wealth currently ongoing, and you reduce the overall costs.

Of COURSE, the Insurance Industry needs to be sent to the Great Beyond as well.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 06:36:45 PM »
Just a joke. lol.  A very OLD Joke.

The reality is of course that the Medical Industry needs to be Socialized, it's a Public Service like Teachers, Police, Firemen, Sanitation etc.

It should be paid on something similar to the GS Scale, where you get paid by level and experience.  In my example for instance you have 5 Levels.

L1-Nurses Aides/Cripple Helpers: $20/hr
L2-Technicians/EMTs: $40/hr
L3- Nurses : $60/hr
L4- Nurse Practitioners/Physicians Assistants: $80/hr
L5: Doctors: $100/hr

You could break this down quite a bit more with years of Experience, continuing education credits etc, but the basic idea here is that you don't get this HUGE stratification of wealth currently ongoing, and you reduce the overall costs.

Of COURSE, the Insurance Industry needs to be sent to the Great Beyond as well.

RE
Hmm. No offence taken and no need for apologies at all!

A Freudian slip: merck is in whitehouse station not Whitehall. :)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 07:14:49 PM »
Hmm. No offence taken and no need for apologies at all!

Glad to hear that.  My Jokes are often misunderstood.

RE
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 07:53:25 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 03:02:05 AM »
That you blame nosocomial infections on your doctor? I don't think that one holds any water.

The one clear takeaway is to stay out of hospitals if at all possible. It's NOT the docs: hospitals are where the germs are. I have had several major surgeries and consider myself extremely fortunate to not pick up a case of MRSA for my trouble. Maybe that's because surgical theaters are probably the most rigorously sanitized?

Everyone wants someone to blame. But as Eddie points out, death is eventually 100% fatal. Or as the ZH droids have it, channeling Chuck Palahniuk, “On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.”
"...reprehensible lying communist..."