AuthorTopic: Henry the 8th: 8 Years of Collapse on the Doomstead Diner  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Henry the 8th: 8 Years of Collapse on the Doomstead Diner
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 01:58:52 AM »
Congrats on hitting the 8 Year mark.  It's roughly 7 for me. I seem to have registered on 12-9-2012, missing the launch by nearly a year.

Doesn't seem like that long, and the world is still surprisingly complex and technical and yet resilient.
No, it does not.

When the end comes and the machines lose power and the computers go dark, I hope somebody is around who can even add and subtract and multiply and divide, mathematically speaking. I expect they will perform an important role.

They will be the priests and shamans.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 03:59:12 AM »

As it was before, so it will be again.

Anybody else here besides me, K-Dog and Moniker know how to use a Slide Rule?  Who still owns one?  Anybody else at all who knows how to use an Abacus?  Who can still do Long Division without a Calculator?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 07:59:44 AM »

Anybody else here besides me, K-Dog and Moniker know how to use a Slide Rule?  Who still owns one?  Anybody else at all who knows how to use an Abacus?  Who can still do Long Division without a Calculator?

RE

I USED to know how to use a slide rule, before God created Texas Instruments. And  I can indeed do long division. as long as I have plenty of scratch paper. And time.

Abacus? I got nuthin'.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 09:03:29 AM »

RE

I USED to know how to use a slide rule, before God created Texas Instruments. And  I can indeed do long division. as long as I have plenty of scratch paper. And time.

Abacus? I got nuthin'.

My summer after HS was spent working in a Shower Curtain factory in the Garment District of NY Shity, to buy my most COVETED item for college.  It was an HP 45 Scientific Calculator which as I recall cost $350 at the time.  Since I was being paid Min Wage of about $2.50 at the time, this took around 150 hours to earn.  So about 4 weeks of my life were dedicated to buying this calculator.

I liked the HP better than the TI scientific calculators because of the format they used at the time, which "stacked" you numbers vertically rather than doing the components of a calculation linearly.

I still do have my old Slide Rule though from my HS years, one of the few real old Heirlooms that has survived all my moves and all the calamities of my life.  It is a TREASURED item, which I hope will be buried with me under the Tombstone.  A fine Slide Rule was also an expensive item in those years.  They have to be carefully crafted and the engravings marking the scales have to be very accurate.  The Germans (of course) made the best ones.  Mine wasn't that good, but it did the job just fine at Stuy High.  At Columbia, I came Packing the BIG HEAT of the era, the HP 45.  I think I was the only guy in Freshman Chem who had one.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 10:14:55 AM »
I love math too. I really wish I had kept a copy of that issue of the Stuy Alum Assoc newsletter where I was credited with solving the Coconut Monkey problem without using diophantine equations. I also tossed my solution into the trash like Mat Damon did in the movie.

You might have told me this before, but if you did I forgot.  I did not know you were another graduate of Stuyvesant HS!  :icon_sunny:  What were your years of attendance?

RE
1974 - 1977. I loved reading Subway Swan Song on TBP and that's how I found the Diner. I lived in Sunnyside and took the 7 train also.

My first term at Stuyvesant was amazing; then due largely to family stressors, I became chronically depressed. Early untreated onset dysthymia is a horrible life-long illness. Then you have to preface every life anecdote with an explanation like I wouldn't be in this fucking mess except for...

It became a little easier after the publication of Prozac Nation,  whose author died recently.

WOW!   :o  You came right after me!  I was 1972-1974!

Did you ever have Frank McCourt for an English Teacher or Journalism Teacher?  Mr. Price for Chemistry?  Old Man Lowenthal for History?

RE
We missed each other by a few months!

I don't recall Price or Lowenthal. My wife had a friend who knew Frank McCourt from the Irish Arts Center, though. I didn't know about him until years after I graduated and would maybe have wanted to take a class with him.

I had Frank for Journalism in my Junior year.  He was my main mentor as a writer.  My final Thesis Paper for that class analyzed Marshall McLuhan's "The Medium is the Message".  I wish I still had a copy of it.  :(  It was a 20 page MASTERPIECE I pounded out on an ancient manual Royal Typewriter at the age of 14-15 or so.  Lowenthal was a REAL old guy and may have retired before or during your years there.  He also truly SUCKED as a teacher and was very boring.  I had no interest in History for many years because he was so truly bad as a teacher by that time.  Maybe he was good once, but by the 1970s he sucked.  I think he was probably in his 70s.  Price was pretty young, but there were several chem teachers so you probably did not get him unless you took Orgo at Stuy, which I did.  I think he was the only Chem teacher who taught Organic Chemistry at Stuy High in those years.

I went back to re-read the Subway Swan Song article I wrote.  SHIT that was a long one!  lol.

RE
Thanks for posting the link. I am interrupting my re-reading of this because last year for several months my commute included taking the D train from Manhattan to Brooklyn, unfortunately. I found out that the D train goes over the Manhattan Bridge, which has 4 rail tracks. 2 in each direction in the outer lanes. Sometimes 2 or more trains are stopped in the middle of the bridge and another train passes, causing the whole steel (?) structure to shake like crazy. The passenger is left wondering whether the bridge will do a Tacoma Narrows type collapse.

Then there is the crazy Russian lady who rides the D train attacks fellow passengers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHKPuLOjILU

Apparently she a lawyer in south Brooklyn. Maybe Trump can add her to his legal team!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:49:31 AM by moniker »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 12:01:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the link. I am interrupting my re-reading of this because last year for several months my commute included taking the D train from Manhattan to Brooklyn, unfortunately. I found out that the D train goes over the Manhattan Bridge, which has 4 rail tracks. 2 in each direction in the outer lanes. Sometimes 2 or more trains are stopped in the middle of the bridge and another train passes, causing the whole steel (?) structure to shake like crazy. The passenger is left wondering whether the bridge will do a Tacoma Narrows type collapse.

Then there is the crazy Russian lady who rides the D train attacks fellow passengers,

Apparently she a lawyer in south Brooklyn. Maybe Trump can add her to his legal team!

Your post inspired me to do a followup/sequel to that article.  I am currently working on it.  :icon_sunny:

Coming Soon to a Laptop near you.   ;D

Well, not THAT soon.  I have two more already in the can I will publish first.  It probably goes up during Anniversary Week.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 02:06:30 PM »

Your post inspired me to do a followup/sequel to that article.  I am currently working on it.  :icon_sunny:

Well, not THAT soon.  I have two more already in the can I will publish first.  It probably goes up during Anniversary Week.

RE
I'm looking forward to reading it! :)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »

RE

I will have a text article, but as per my new meme as a Vlogger, it will be mainly video.  :icon_sunny:

BTW, did you ever read my article about Stuyvesant?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 06:35:12 PM »

RE

I will have a text article, but as per my new meme as a Vlogger, it will be mainly video.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Maybe not, although I have been assiduously reading the Diner for years now. Can you post it again?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 06:51:07 PM »

RE

RE
Maybe not, although I have been assiduously reading the Diner for years now. Can you post it again?

I'll post a link to it.  Gimmee a few minutes.  I am in th midst of a major Global Competition on Vikings.  lol.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2020, 07:06:25 PM »

RE

RE

I'll post a link to it.  Gimmee a few minutes.  I am in the midst of a major Global Competition on Vikings.  lol.

RE

Here ya go.  More long shit to read. lol.

Part 1:
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2017/08/08/60-the-life-times-of-a-boomer-doomer/

Part 2:
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2017/05/24/60-the-life-times-of-a-boomer-doomer-2/

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2020, 09:25:57 AM »
Now UP on Global Economic Intersection!  :icon_sunny:

RE

posted on 20 January 2020

Henry The 8th: 8 Years Of Collapse On The Doomstead Diner

by Reverse Engineer, Doomstead Diner

Discuss this Video & Article at the Diner Anniversary Table inside the Diner

John B. Lounsbury Ph.D. CFP

Managing Editor Econintersect.com

Senior Contributor TheStreet.com

Highly ranked author Seeking Alpha

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
OK! Henry the VIII has been up almost a full week now and has 66 :evil4: Views on Diner YouTube!  (collapsecafe.com):icon_sunny:

Since there are only ~15 Active Diners here, I figure most of you (if not all) have had a chance to watch it, so you should know what my hopes are for doing the Celebration Week of the 8th Anniversary of the Founding of the Doomstead Diner.

:multiplespotting:   :aola:   :spacecraft:

Either in this thread or in PM if you prefer to keep it Private, please let me know which of the alternatives you would like to use to Commemorate this MOMENTOUS occasion!   :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kickoff!
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard, microphone & camera of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner  February 2, 2020

Discuss these Videos & Article at the Diner Anniversary Table inside the Diner

No, I'm not talking about the Super Bowl, which is well underway as I publish this article, although the Big Game does get a lot of play here today on the Diner.

Originally, I intended the Diner 8th Anniversary Celebration to just encompass the week surrounding February 12th, the actual 8th Anniversary more or less exactly.  However the Gods of Collapse ordered otherwise, and it started early with a BLACKOUT here on the Last Great Frontier about a week ago.  It was a great test of my Preps on the Electrics end of things and I actually produced a Video DURING the Blackout! 🙂

This sort of intermittent, not toooo long lasting blackout is one of the more likely scenarios for the collapsing electrical infrastructure system.  It's unlikely that in the near future the entire grid will go down and stay down FOR GOOD!  Much more likely is you will experience longer and longer blackouts & brownouts over the next few years as further problems with energy supply, economics and of course climate play havoc with the grid.  Said blackouts will not always be tied to some weather disaster, this one was not for us.  I still do not know precisely what caused it, all was quite normal with the weather, and we didn't have an Earthquake or Volcanic eruption either.  Just POOF!, out go all the lights, computers go dark, it's the NIGHTMARE scenario for RE! lol.

So, I sprang into action to get myself back up and running to fulfill my extensive responsibilities covering Collapse and managing the Doomstead Diner! lol.  In this case, it took me about an hour to get everything I need up and running again, but it also motivated me to make improvements and also test out aspects of the system, particularly exactly how long it is I can last without the JUICE arriving by wire from some fossil fuel burning plant nearby to keep me hooked up to the net?  I will be featuring these tests of 12 Volt electric systems in upcoming articles and vids.

Anyhow, the Diner 8th Anniversary Extravaganza has now kicked off, and it's going to go for the whole month of February rather than just one week.  We simply have too much material to squeeze into one week already in the can.  So make sure you drop into the Diner regularly this month for your cup of Collapse Coffee and get ready for a  HUGE Collapse meal!  You'll be STUFFED! lol.

Now, what does all this have to do with the BIG GAME, still ongoing as I publish this article?  Well, it's kind of abstract really, but an Anniversary Celebration is very much about MEMORIES of times past and how they contrast to the times you currently live in, the here & now.  I haven't watched a Pro Football game in at least 20 years, except if one happened to be on in some Sports Bar I was eating at.  In those cases, I occasionally glanced at the screens, which got bigger and more of them in a bar over time.  Way back there in the Jurrasic Period, a bar had only one CRT Tube type TV and if it was 32" that was a BIG one! lol.  I don't know any of the players anymore, I don't know many of the teams that either moved or were created in the intervening years between then and now.

However, I decided this year, since I am sitting here with not much else to do besides write on Doom, Cook and play Vikings, I would watch the Super Bowl!  Be a real Amerikan Male! lol.  I read that you could watch it via streaming on the net, and I have a fucking big ass monitor to watch it on too!  BUT WAIT!  As I tried to find a URL for this streaming, I found out you also gotta have a cable TV account with some provider that serves up Faux Newz!  I don't even OWN a TV anymore, much less buy cable programming, which in general sucks.  I know this from my stays in hotels where the room TV is hooked to some provider who dishes out 100 channels of complete crap.  So I couldn't watch this year's Super Bowl after all. 🙁

What I decided to do instead was watch the FIRST Superbowl, from 1967, between the Green Bay Packers from the NFL and the Kansas City Chiefs of the AFL.  This was before the two Leagues merged.  I remember all those players, Quarterbacks Bart Starr & Len Dawson, and especially the Kickers Jan Stenerud and Jared Wilson for Kansas City.  Best Kickers EVAH IMHO.  It was right after I returned from Brasil at the age of 10, and I was a huge sports fan then.

So this installment of the Diner 8th Anniversary Celebration is a bit of a look back at the Bread & Circuses as it was then, versus what it has become today.

No

Coming also during the Doomstead Diner 8th Anniversary Celebration Month

An Interview with one of the long time Collapse Chroniclers, a Ph.D. in Chemical Physics and CFP (Certified Financial Planner) with long experience in the Financial world as well as in the Engineering world.  I'll let you guess who it might be.  lol.  Plus numerous other articles and stories from a few Diners on their experience with Collapse over the last decade.  And of course, more FOOD vids! 🙂

Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner 8th Anniersary Kickoff!
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 02:27:52 PM »
Now UP on GEI!

Kickoff!

by Reverse Engineer, Doomstead Diner

Discuss these Videos & Article at the Diner Anniversary Table inside the Diner

John B. Lounsbury Ph.D. CFP