PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Coronavirus: Trumpvirus

AuthorTopic: Coronavirus: Trumpvirus  (Read 8045 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus: Threat or Menace?
« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2020, 12:31:54 PM »
By the way, Trump's cult members think they are "conservatives," which they contrast with "liberal" -- as if the world were a two-sided object defined by these terms.  But there is very damn little about Trump's cult that has anything to do with conservativism.  I'm a hell of a lot more conservative than the whole lot of them, and I'm a radical lefty pinko anarchist.

None of these people, almost, have read a book since high school. They are proud to be know-nothings.  As I just said to my partner, "there is no cure for stupid".

Yes, you're right about the Trump base. So much of this makes sense to me from a Joe Bageant analysis. He's dead now, but so much of this is well-explained in his "Deer Hunting With Jesus" book.

“Along with the concept of American Dream runs the notion that every man and woman is entitled to an opinion and to one vote, no matter how ridiculous that opinion might be or how uninformed the vote. It could be that the Borderer Presbyterian tradition of "stand up and say your rightful piece" contributed to the American notion that our gut-level but uninformed opinions are some sort of unvarnished foundational political truths. I have been told that this is because we redneck working-class Scots Irish suffer from what psychiatrists call "no insight".Consequently, we will never agree with anyone outside our zone of ignorance because our belligerent Borderer pride insists on the right to be dangerously wrong about everything while telling those who are more educated to "bite my ass!”

― Joe Bageant, Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War

“The four cornerstones of the American political psyche are 1) emotion substituted for thought, 2) fear, 3) ignorance and 4) propaganda”

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2020, 12:35:01 PM »
Oh well.....Looks like I'm two for two.

Screen Shot 2020 03 30 at 7 23 54 AM
Screen Shot 2020 03 30 at 7 23 54 AM

Where's that calculator?  I wanna see if I beat you!

RE

http://www.covid19survivalcalculator.com/

You should try reading your own Forum.

So sue me.  You should try spending 18 of the last 20 hours editing video for your Facepalm page.

Anyhoooo,...Eddie kicked my ass in risk of catching it, but if I do get it about the same chance of buying a Ticket to the Great Beyond.

Anonymous 62.6 year old male
Infection Risk
We estimate you have a 55.314% chance
of catching COVID-19.
The average is 59.69%
You are in a low risk band for catching COVID-19
55.314% is the equivalent of 1 in 1.81 people
or betting odds of 0.81/1.
Mortality Risk
If infected we estimate you have a 3.207% chance
of dying from COVID-19.
The average is 0.744%
You are in the highest risk band for dying from COVID-19
3.207% is the equivalent of 1 in 31.18 people
or betting odds of 30.18/1.

RE

There is a very significant parameter missing from the questionaire.

Where do you live?

Your risk will be very different if you live in New York Shity versus living in Palmer, Alaska.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2020, 12:40:20 PM »
By the way, Trump's cult members think they are "conservatives," which they contrast with "liberal" -- as if the world were a two-sided object defined by these terms.  But there is very damn little about Trump's cult that has anything to do with conservativism.  I'm a hell of a lot more conservative than the whole lot of them, and I'm a radical lefty pinko anarchist.

None of these people, almost, have read a book since high school. They are proud to be know-nothings.  As I just said to my partner, "there is no cure for stupid".

Yes, you're right about the Trump base. So much of this makes sense to me from a Joe Bageant analysis. He's dead now, but so much of this is well-explained in his "Deer Hunting With Jesus" book.

“Along with the concept of American Dream runs the notion that every man and woman is entitled to an opinion and to one vote, no matter how ridiculous that opinion might be or how uninformed the vote. It could be that the Borderer Presbyterian tradition of "stand up and say your rightful piece" contributed to the American notion that our gut-level but uninformed opinions are some sort of unvarnished foundational political truths. I have been told that this is because we redneck working-class Scots Irish suffer from what psychiatrists call "no insight".Consequently, we will never agree with anyone outside our zone of ignorance because our belligerent Borderer pride insists on the right to be dangerously wrong about everything while telling those who are more educated to "bite my ass!”

“The four cornerstones of the American political psyche are 1) emotion substituted for thought, 2) fear, 3) ignorance and 4) propaganda”

Yup. 

Stupid is praised as a virtue among the stupid.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2020, 05:29:26 PM »

Where do you live?

Your risk will be very different if you live in New York Shity versus living in Palmer, Alaska.

RE

Only a matter of time. Don't be impatient.
NY is going to peak in ten days. Virginia will peak in 45 days. (We had 120 cases on March 20, and have another order of magnitude 10 days  later. Palmer will peak later. And all of those smug assholes in cousinfuck country will, in the fullness of time, have their peak as well.
Density is a factor, but a novel virus will make its rounds in due time.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls...
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2020, 05:35:28 PM »

Absolutely surgical in its precision.

Boy, do we need a dose of Joe B. right now.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2020, 08:49:23 PM »

Where do you live?

RE

NY is going to peak in ten days. Virginia will peak in 45 days. (We had 120 cases on March 20, and have another order of magnitude 10 days  later. Palmer will peak later. And all of those smug assholes in cousinfuck country will, in the fullness of time, have their peak as well.

By the time we hit significant numbers, a Vaccine should be available.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2020, 11:38:15 PM »

Where do you live?

RE

RE

That's 18 months out. Unless one of these hail mary trial drugs pan out. Then there will be a stampede for it like there was for chloroquine.
But Jim Bakker has some colloidal silver he'll send you for a prayer offering.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 12:57:22 AM by Surly1 »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 31, 2020, 06:11:53 AM »

Where do you live?

RE

RE

That's 18 months out. Unless one of these hail mary trial drugs pan out. Then there will be a stampede for it like there was for chloroquine.
But Jim Bakker has some colloidal silver he'll send you for a prayer offering.

Because we have such low population density, it will take a good deal longer here to go to big numbers.  I personally could stay indoors in complete isolation for 18 months.  I do not intend to do that anytime soon though.  Probably go shop at 3 Bears once every 2 weeks.  In my FULL PPE gettup. lol.  Video on that coming soon to a laptop near you.

RE
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:18:45 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Goth Meets Coronavirus: Threat or Menace?
« Reply #113 on: March 31, 2020, 06:23:03 AM »
Got this, this morning. Rather good for a chuckle.

It goes into the "Proof there is a god... and he has a sense of humor" category.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBcT2rcYlWA

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 31, 2020, 06:58:43 AM »

It goes into the "Proof there is a god... and he has a sense of humor" category.

Nice...
Stay safe!
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2020, 07:25:01 AM »

Nice...
Stay safe!
Thanks. There will be no encore.
I'm just avoiding dragging out the chainsaw again. Well I better get back to it.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2020, 08:09:14 AM »

Best thing I’ve seen all day. Beats the hell out of the following coronavirus news.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
More have died in U.S. from virus than in 9/11 attacks
« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »
Trump Virus now more deadly than 9-11. Are we Great yet?

More have died in U.S. from virus than in 9/11 attacks

The coronavirus death toll in the United States has exceeded 3,400, according to state and county health agencies — more than the number of people who died in the initial Sept. 11, 2001, attacks and surpassing the number of deaths attributed to the viral outbreak in China, where it was first reported late last year. Health officials have warned the virus could kill as many as 200,000 people in America, even “if we do things … almost perfectly.”

Here are some significant developments:

New York recorded 332 new deaths Monday for a total of 1,550, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said Tuesday. It marks the first time the state has reported more than 300 deaths in a day. Cuomo also noted that his younger brother, CNN anchor Chris Cuomo, had tested positive for the virus. “He is going to be fine,” Gov. Cuomo said of his brother, who intends to keep working on his shows.

Italy reported 837 new deaths Tuesday, raising its toll to 12,428, the highest of any nation. Spain reported 849 new deaths earlier in the day, the worst 24-hour period yet in an outbreak that has killed 8,189 people there.

Months into the outbreak, world leaders are pushing their pandemic responses to the brink, with an unprecedented state of emergency declared in Hungary, military hospital ships arriving in New York and Los Angeles, Ethiopia postponing its first truly democratic elections and Japanese citizens being warned against travel to a third of the world.

The confirmed number of infections worldwide continues to grow, surpassing 800,000 on Tuesday. In the United States, there are more than 175,000 confirmed cases.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials are considering recommending that Americans wear face coverings in public. Current CDC guidance is that healthy people do not need masks or face coverings.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Putin to send medical supplies to United States
« Reply #118 on: March 31, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
Putin to send medical supplies to United States

MOSCOW — A Russian plane loaded with medical equipment and protective medical gear was ready to take off for the United States on Tuesday, the Kremlin said, after President Vladimir Putin offered help to President Trump.

The two presidents discussed the novel coronavirus problem at length by phone Monday, Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov said Tuesday. They also discussed oil prices, agreeing that the current price was too low.

“In view of the current epidemic crisis in America, the Russian side offered aid in the form of medical equipment and protective gear. Trump accepted this aid of a humanitarian nature with gratitude,” Peskov said late Tuesday, adding that the flight was ready to depart before midnight Moscow time.

He said Putin offered the aid on the understanding that once the United States ramped up its own production, it would be ready to reciprocate with similar equipment and protective gear, should Russia need it.

No details were available on exactly what equipment was included in the cargo and whether ventilators were included. Trump thanked Putin for sending help during a Monday evening news conference.

“Throughout the day today technical discussions and preparations were carried out for a Russian flight which we now expect to depart before the end of today,” Peskov said. But he hinted at difficulties from some U.S. officials in finalizing arrangements for the flight in comments reported by Interfax.

More than a week ago, Russia sent 15 planeloads of equipment, testing kits, and experts whom it described as military virologists and epidemiologists to Italy, which has been hard hit by covid-19. The Russian teams have been engaged in disinfecting facilities in northern Italy.
Although Italy’s Ambassador to Russia Pasquale Terracciano said it was important that the cargo included 600 ventilators, Italian newspaper La Stampa cited an unnamed government official saying that 80 percent of the cargo Russia sent was useless.

Offline edpell

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 31, 2020, 04:26:18 PM »
They killed America without firing a shot.

Wife works at local hospital they have ONE case. 130 miles north of NYC.

Friend's son works in NYC says there are no fork lift loading bodies all BS.

Video of central hospital in NYC for CV19 shows ghost town no one coming no one going no ambulances nothing.

It is Newtown on a global scale.