PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> DD Favorite Art Gallery

AuthorTopic: DD Favorite Art Gallery  (Read 39370 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
DD Favorite Art Gallery
« on: April 13, 2013, 07:37:47 AM »
Diners, Starting a new topic in the hope it is a place where we can place fine art works that have a special meaning to us personally. Hopefully, a place where we can get to know each other and our special tastes without the friction that sometimes develops when using the written word.

No comments on the art work necessary, but an explanation of why it is something special to you would be welcome, only if desired.

Starting it off with a painting discovered six months or so ago that I fell in love with for some reason, don't know why but I find myself going back and looking at it often, have even used it as desktop background for a week or so. Just relaxes me and puts me in a thinking mood, the colors are very soothing to me for some strange reason.

By an artist named Paul Cornoyner whom I was unaware of until happening across this work, have come to admire many of his others as well ans will be posting favorites in the future.

Perhaps, just as a suggestion of course, it might be wise to limit ourselves to only a few of these a week where they take quite a bit of space and are personal messages rather than strictly doomer material? RE any of your suggestions or other admins as to the viability of the thread or common sense rules are of course welcome.

Madison Square Sunny Day
Madison Square Sunny Day
  click to enhance

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »
Is music allowed? If so, here is a song by DMB that I really enjoy. I'm a big DMB fan in general, but this song especially resonates with me and the intro (before the lyrics start) always takes me back to Genesis 1:2 for some reason - "Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQVZR6UACT8?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQVZR6UACT8?feature=player_detailpage</a>

"Two Step"

Say, my love, I came to you with
best intentions
You laid down and gave to me just
what I'm seeking
Love, you drive me to distraction

Oh, my love, do you believe that
we might last a thousand years
Or more if not for this,
our flesh and blood
It ties you and me right up
Tie me down

Chorus:
Celebrate we will
Because life is short but sweet for certain
Hey, we climb on two by two
To be sure these days continue
These things we cannot change

Say, my love, you came to me like
wine comes to this mouth
Grown tired of water all the time
You quench my heart and you
quench my mind

(GO, if you would rather keep this thread specific to paintings, I totally understand)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 08:09:04 AM by Ashvin »

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 08:11:28 AM »
(GO, if you would rather keep this thread specific to paintings, I totally understand)

Not at all Ashvin, Fine Art has many forms, it's all about personal likes that say something about us, who we are, what we like, what has special meaning for us.

The song poem is just beautiful, haven't listened yet.  Thanks for reply; just what my intent was, personal favorites.  :icon_sunny:

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile

F-111 (The little girl under the hair dryer section)

JAMES ROSENQUIST: What intrigued me was the paradox of all these middle-class families prospering from building this death-dealing machine [the F-111], which is why I put the little girl under that bomb-shaped hair dryer. That image was a metaphor for the jet pilot’s helmet. The little girl was really the pilot of the plane just as middle-class society was really the momentum behind the plane. The little girl under the hair dryer is a big-stretch metaphor; this little girl from Texas or Long Island is the thing that was pushing the market that built war weapons. She’s the motivation and the beneficiary of this way of life that guarantees that everybody have all these things—the house in the suburbs, the TV, the washer-dryer, the lawn in the backyard. The grass behind her is painted in radioactive shades of green. The little girl in the painting was a child model. When she saw a picture of F-111 she sent me a picture of herself grown up. She’d become a beautiful blond woman with two beautiful blond children.

http://www.moma.org/explore/f111
just my straight shooting honest opinion

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:32 PM »
Banksy is the working artist today whom I respect the most.

This video documenting the punking of the Paris Hilton CD is a favorite of mine.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RLvLg6aoxvc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RLvLg6aoxvc&fs=1</a>

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 04:11:19 PM »
I like impressionism. Emile Claus is largely forgotten today.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »
I like impressionism. Emile Claus is largely forgotten today.

I hear you Doc, one of my many Impressionist favorites

Degas  Jockeys
Degas  Jockeys
   Click then click box for full size hi res

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 05:44:42 PM »
Degas  Jockeys

Nice.

This is by a personal friend, Daryl Howard. She is one of America's premier Japanese  woodblock print artists. I've bought one of these but I haven't gotten it yet.

Not the greatest image.Hmm. Here's her website.

http://www.darylhoward.com/index.htm

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:53:07 PM by Eddie »

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
Degas  Jockeys

Nice.

This is by a personal friend, Daryl Howard. She is one of America's premier Japanese  woodblock print artists. I've bought one of these but I haven't gotten it yet.

Must be nice to be artistic. I have tried painting and watercolors but am a complete failure, Couldn't draw a picture of Peanuts the cartoon character if I had too. Always amazed me how so few people possess that special gift of artistic expression and take it for granted. Although I guess a lot of very hard work goes into it as well. 

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:58:11 PM by Golden Oxen »

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:07:51 PM »
Degas  Jockeys

Must be nice to be artistic. I have tried painting and watercolors but am a complete failure, Couldn't draw a picture of Peanuts the cartoon character if I had too. Always amazed me how so few people possess that special gift of artistic expression and take it for granted. Although I guess a lot of very hard work goes into it as well.

I need a tin foil hat, yet another GO telepathic transmission. I saw this yesterday and thought there seems to be theme in GOs art taste which would lead to impressionist as its pinnacle, also the name degas popping into my head this morning. And today Voila there they are.

I might be creating a false impression of culturedness, but only know history of art from school, still uncouth as ever.  :laugh:

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery: Sunday Afternoon Seurat
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 05:01:47 AM »
Sunday Afternoon on the Island of la Grande Jatte 1886

Georges Seurat

Sunday Afternoon
Sunday Afternoon

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery - Death and the Miser
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »
Death and the Miser by Hieronymus Bosch

Of all fifteenth-century artists, Hieronymus Bosch is the most mysterious. His puzzling, sometimes bizarre imagery has prompted a number of false assertions that he was, for example, the member of a heretical sect, a sexual libertine, or a forerunner of the surrealists. What can be said is that he was a moralist, profoundly pessimistic about man's inevitable descent into sin and damnation.

In this slender panel, probably a wing from a larger altarpiece, a dying man seems torn between salvation and his own avarice. At the foot of the bed a younger man, possibly the miser at an earlier age, hypocritically throws coins into a chest with one hand as he fingers a rosary with the other. In his last hour, with death literally at the door, the miser still hesitates; will he reach for the demon's bag of gold or will he follow the angel's gesture and direct his final thoughts to the crucifix in the window?

Avarice was one of the seven deadly sins and among the final temptations described in the Ars moriendi (Art of Dying), a religious treatise probably written about 1400 and later popularized in printed books. Bosch's painting is similar to illustrations in these books, but his introduction of ambiguity and suspense is unique.

This panel is thinly painted. In several areas it is possible to see in the underdrawing where Bosch changed his mind about the composition. His thin paint and unblended brushstrokes differ markedly from the enamellike polish of other works in this gallery.

http://www.nga.gov/collection/gallery/gg39/gg39-41645.html

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 02:19:02 AM »
Just a glimpse of what Boston was like once, the horrible events yesterday had me looking for a happier more peaceful time.

Hassam  Boston Common
Hassam  Boston Common
     Click for hi res image

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 03:31:42 AM »

JoeP, That was quite a painting, went back and studied it a few times already. Thanks for responding to my new thread.

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

JoeP, That was quite a painting, went back and studied it a few times already. Thanks for responding to my new thread.

GO, Glad to hear you found it interesting.  I kinda posted it in the spirit of RE's feature article on gold (same with my film clip post).   ;D