PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> DD Favorite Art Gallery

AuthorTopic: DD Favorite Art Gallery  (Read 36632 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery: At The Races Lautrec
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 08:44:47 AM »
Have always enjoyed the brilliant pastel colors of Lautrec, soft, relaxing, eye pleasing art.

At The Races
At The Races

Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec - 1899

Click, then click box for enlarged hi res image

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery Pope Innocent X
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 06:31:20 AM »
the art work of Francis Bacon shocks me; or perhaps startles me is a better word.

click for hi res large images

Study Innocent X
Study Innocent X

Study Innocent X
Study Innocent X

Pope Innocent X
Pope Innocent X

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 07:00:55 AM »
Francis Bacon +++

Great art has that capability to shock, to grab you and make you focus. Sometimes it's hard  to understand exactly what is being triggered in one's deep subconscious, but SOMETHING is.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »
what do we know of what the artist is trying to convey here? Seems to be trying to capture the soul of the subject and the transmigratory nature.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
what do we know of what the artist is trying to convey here?

I believe that first one GO posted could be the Pope learning that God is Buddhist, and He's pissed.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The first time I saw this lady my eyes could not stop perusing her breathtaking beauty and talent. I am a great fan of hers and often wonder why God bestowed some certain people with such beauty, talent, wealth, and fame, while so many of us are not as fortunate, or I suppose you could say unfortunate, whatever your views on such matters. In my mind if ever  a woman deserved the description of Goddess it is Anne-Sophie Mutter.

Of course, as far as the Diner goes, no one can replace our Karpatok as the reigning Goddess.  :laugh:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GcqTxDsrMyo&amp;feature=share&amp;list=RD02GQqqIsRzJd0&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GcqTxDsrMyo&amp;feature=share&amp;list=RD02GQqqIsRzJd0&fs=1</a>

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013, 06:17:50 AM »
She got your musical talent and mine, too. It's okay, we got her beauty, er...her...her. Okay, maybe we got her sense of irony, okay? That is something.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery--- Robert Smithson
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2013, 09:00:09 AM »
My son is a fan of Smithson. My kids took the pilgrimage to see Spiral Jetty at Christmas, the last time we were up in the Salt Lake area. It isn't always visible, depending on lake levels...and it's hard to get to, way out in the boonies. It reminds me of those "ancient runways"  out at Chaco Canyon.

Smithson is gone, but the art lives on. Art is about immortality, isn't it?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Cg_iJp6LAUc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Cg_iJp6LAUc&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:17:46 AM by Eddie »

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »
Smithson is gone, but the art lives on. Art is about immortality, isn't it?

Thanks Doc, That was a new introduction for me. Just went to a few websites to view more of his work, wonderful art.

jpg montagnes du Tibesti
jpg montagnes du Tibesti

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery: Cannaletto
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »
The great Italian Master from Venice Cannaletto has always been a source of fascination for me, his paintings that is. How someone born in 1697 could paint with such detail and amazing realism always amazed me. There are many others of course, but his appear almost like photographs to me.                                                                                             

Click and then box with arrow for  enlarged hi res images

Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace

Campo San Rocco
Campo San Rocco

Grand Canal Between Palazzos
Grand Canal Between Palazzos

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 10:48:04 AM »
Lovely pieces. What is it about the light there?

Venice is a fascinating place...never been there but visited many times via those wonderful things we call "books".  GO, if you have not read John Berendt's City of the Falling Angels, you might enjoy it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:52:03 AM by Eddie »

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
Lovely pieces. What is it about the light there?

Venice is a fascinating place...never been there but visited many times via those wonderful things we call "books".  GO, if you have not read John Berendt's City of the Falling Angels, you might enjoy it.

Thanks Doc, have not but will definitely look into it. Must be something special about Venice; it is the subject matter of so many great works of art.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery: Cooper Colin Campbell
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 05:41:16 AM »
An Artist that did beautiful NYC paintings. Always got the feel of the city from them.

Hudson River Waterfront
Hudson River Waterfront

NY From Brooklyn
NY From Brooklyn

Metropolitan Building
Metropolitan Building

Click, then click box with arrow for enlarged hi def images

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery: Rainy Day NY City - Paul Cornoyer
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 08:39:14 AM »
  Just love his Rain Paintings                                                             

Rainy Day NY City
Rainy Day NY City

After The Rain
After The Rain

Click,then click box again for full size hi res images

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
An art museum uses technology to lure young patrons

The Cleveland Museum of Art is embracing cutting-edge technology to try to lure new audiences to its collection of masterworks.

052013CAClevelandArtMuseum full 380
052013CAClevelandArtMuseum full 380

The untitled sculpture by Anthony Gormley is shown during an exhibition called "The Last Days of Pompeii: Decadence, Apocalypse, Resurrection" at The Cleveland Museum of Art in Cleveland through July 7, 2013.
    (Tony Dejak/AP/File)

By Nicole Wallace, The Chronicle of Philanthropy   
posted May 20, 2013 at 11:52 am EDT

As cultural institutions across the country struggle to attract young visitors, the Cleveland Museum of Art is embracing cutting-edge technology to try to lure new audiences to its collection of masterworks.

In the museum’s new Gallery One, visitors can try to match the expressions of faces in a painting or strike the pose of a sculpture in the collection and then share photographs of the results via social media. Display screens paired with original works of art show people how the pieces were made and where they come from.

The goal is to make the museum more welcoming, especially to young people who “mediate the world through the screen,” says David Franklin, director of the museum.

“The outcome is intergenerational,” he says. “But one of the inspirations was certainly trying to attract a younger demographic to the art museum, a demographic that might see the museum as off-putting or forbidding.”

The Collection Wall, a 40-foot touchscreen, features images of artworks grouped by theme, time period, and materials used, acting as a bridge between the interactive gallery and the rest of the museum. Visitors can create their own tours by saving their favorite pieces from the wall to an iPad, either their own or one borrowed from the museum.

The new space culminates with a gallery devoted to small exhibits. The first artwork exhibited was La Vie, a painting from Pablo Picasso’s Blue Period. The layout encourages visitors to take what they’ve learned from the interactive experiences to engage deeply with the artwork, says Mr. Franklin.

“There might be a temptation to put storage pictures there, works that wouldn’t necessarily belong in the main galleries,” he says. “But we’ve put works there of the highest order and therefore you’re interacting with the best of the best.”

The museum declined to reveal the total cost of the new gallery, saying only that it exceeded the $10 million grant the museum received from the Milton and Tamar Maltz Family Foundation for the project.

As the museum world debates the best ways to incorporate technology, leaders of cultural institutions are watching the experiment at the Cleveland Museum of Art carefully, says Joshua Jeffery, manager of digital engagement at the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh.

“A lot of people were excited; a lot of people were really turned off,” he says. “But everyone was like, 'We can’t wait to see what’s going to happen.’”
http://rss.csmonitor.com/~r/feeds/csm/~3/x92CjG37fEs/An-art-museum-uses-technology-to-lure-young-patrons :icon_study: