AuthorTopic: DD Favorite Art Gallery  (Read 43153 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery - Significant Form - Tate
« Reply #195 on: August 22, 2018, 05:19:59 AM »
Significant form

Term coined by art critic Clive Bell in 1914 to describe the idea that the form of an artwork or forms within an artwork can be expressive, even if largely or completely divorced from a recognizable reality

Studland Beach. Verso: Group of Male Nudes by Duncan Grant 1912 - Tate

Clive Bell’s theory of significant form was explained in his book Art published in 1914. He begins the book with the lines: ’ What quality is shared by all objects that provoke our aesthetic emotions?’. The answer, according to Bell, is ‘significant form’ which he goes on to loosely describe as: ‘lines and colors combined in a particular way, certain forms and relations of forms, [that] stir our aesthetic emotions’.

Bell was a member of the Bloomsbury Group in London, and his ideas can be seen reflected in artworks created by the artists associated with the Group.

Interior at Gordon Square 1915 - Duncan Grant - Tate

Click image for screen fit. Shown enlarged for depth and brushwork

The Bloomsbury artists often focused their attention on their immediate surroundings, painting their friends engaged in such activities as painting, reading or writing, as well as the objects and furnishings (often home-made) in their rooms. This painting shows the view between the front and back rooms on the first floor of 46 Gordon Square in London, where Grant lived for a time with Vanessa Bell; the front room was her studio. The composition shows that Grant was familiar with recent developments in France such as cubism.

River with Poplars 1912 - Roger Fry - Tate

This view was painted from the bridge at Angles sur l’Anglin near Poitiers in France. Fry had discovered the painting of Paul Cézanne in 1906, the year of Cézanne’s death, and had built an aesthetic theory largely based on the way Cézanne constructed his pictures. The style of this painting is like Cézanne in the suppression of detail, and in the organisation of the colouring into clear masses. The shapes are deliberately made to look solid, even the clouds and the banks of reeds in the river.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/art-terms/s/significant-form?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social_art_words  :icon_study:

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery - Faberge Imperial Silver Cat - Julius Rappoport
« Reply #196 on: August 26, 2018, 05:02:26 AM »
Some folks do things right. The world renowned mark of Faberge assures that you have a work created by a perfectionist.
Feast you eyes on this magnificent creation. Don't let the photos fool you, it is a masterpiece done in miniature, a little over 3 inches of meticulous exacting artistry.   

A Faberge Imperial Russian 84 Silver Cat Figure by Julius Pappoport, St. Petersburg Circa 1908-1916,

modelled crouching low on a nephrite base with paw feet, garnet eyes.  Marked;  84 zolotnik, maker's mark in Cyrillic "KФ" for Karl Faberge with Imperial warrant, "I.P." for Julius Rappoport on rim and on body. The figure measures: height 1 1/2 inches x length 3 inches ( 3.81 x 7.62 cm), height overall 2 1/2 inches - 6.35 cm. Weight: approx. 54 ounces - 154 grams.

Reference: Rappoport , Julius (1864-1916) Faberge's most important supplier of silver objects in St.Petersburg. His mark is 'I.R.' in Cyrillic (I.P.).

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery
« Reply #197 on: August 26, 2018, 08:18:52 AM »
Just spellbinding.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2018, 05:15:19 AM »

A German officer visited Pablo Picasso in his Paris studio during the Second World War. There he saw Guernica and, shocked at the modernist (chaos») of the painting, asked Picasso: “Did you do this?” Picasso calmly replied: “No, you did this!”
- Slavoj Zizek

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hUpwj4inhH4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hUpwj4inhH4</a>

DemocracyNow.org - On April 26, 1937, Nazi-German aircraft carpet-bombed the Basque town of Guernica in an attempt to support the Spanish dictator, Francisco Franco. The bombing killed as many as 1,600 and wounded hundreds. Eighty percent of the city's buildings were destroyed. It was one of the first aerial attacks on a civilian target. Pablo Picasso's painting, "Guernica," was inspired by the bombing. Amy Goodman is in Guernica today and talks about the impact of the assault 75 years later.

Pablo Picasso Self Portrait

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery - Edward Hopper
« Reply #199 on: September 13, 2018, 05:22:00 AM »

“If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.”
~ Edward Hopper

Chop Suey 1929

Early Sunday Morning 1930

The Long Leg 1930

Cape Cod Afternoon 1936

The Circle Theater 1936

Ground Swell 1939

Hotel Lobby 1943

Summertime 1943

El Palacio 1946

Morning Sun 1952

Western Motel 1957

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 13, 2018, 06:31:56 AM »

“If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.”
~ Edward Hopper

Chop Suey 1929

Early Sunday Morning 1930

The Long Leg 1930

Cape Cod Afternoon 1936

The Circle Theater 1936

Ground Swell 1939

Hotel Lobby 1943

Summertime 1943

El Palacio 1946

Morning Sun 1952

Western Motel 1957

great stuff.
Thanks for sharing.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 13, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
I'm not an art expert by any means, but I can see the resemblance between Hopper and some of his contemporaries, like Georgia O'Keefe (when she wasn't obsessing about vaginas).

I like that style of art, which no doubt has some name I can't remember now without looking it up...

Hopper's art morphed into that photo-realism thing. The Night Hawks says a lot without using any words too.

The MOST  interesting thing to me as someone who is interested in the social science aspects of art, is how often and how well this piece gets parodied. The link below is to a google image search that lists literally PAGES of clever parodies of The Night Hawks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hopper+parodies&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIwoLPj7jdAhUB26wKHfHbAPwQ_AUICigB&biw=1200&bih=612

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 13, 2018, 07:22:38 AM »

great stuff.
Thanks for sharing.

Glad you enjoyed it AZ.

There is something special and fascinating, as well as enriching, visiting  the world through the eyes of an artist that educates us and enhances our own perception.   

The internet and my computer where great gifts to me from the world of technology in this regard. The hours I spend daily looking at art are a priceless gift for me.  :icon_sunny:

7 AM - Edward Hopper - 1953

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:37:33 AM by Golden Oxen »

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 13, 2018, 07:34:32 AM »
I'm not an art expert by any means, but I can see the resemblance between Hopper and some of his contemporaries, like Georgia O'Keefe (when she wasn't obsessing about vaginas).

I like that style of art, which no doubt has some name I can't remember now without looking it up...

Hopper's art morphed into that photo-realism thing. The Night Hawks says a lot without using any words too.

The MOST  interesting thing to me as someone who is interested in the social science aspects of art, is how often and how well this piece gets parodied. The link below is to a google image search that lists literally PAGES of clever parodies of The Night Hawks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hopper+parodies&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIwoLPj7jdAhUB26wKHfHbAPwQ_AUICigB&biw=1200&bih=612

James Howard Kunstler's art works remind me of Hopper. I sensed the similarity immediately when first viewing James Kunstler's works.

James is a very talented extraordinary person in my view. 

Bedlam Corners West Hebron NY

Eddy Plough Factory Greenwich NY

Tripp's Antiques Shushan NY

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2018, 07:44:53 AM »
Yep. I see it.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 24, 2018, 04:33:16 AM »

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you."

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2018, 05:40:58 AM »

"I sense a scream passing through nature. I painted ... the clouds as actual blood. The colour shrieked." - Edvard Munch, on his painting The Scream.

The Scream

Anxiety

Jealousy

Despair

Melencholy

Self Portrait in Hell

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery - Michelangelo
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2018, 04:52:34 AM »
Good Sunday morning Diners. Difficult to imagine this is but a tiny sample of work of this Grand Master. How different we all are in artistic talent as well as other matters.   GO

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni or more commonly known by his first name Michelangelo (/ˌmaɪkəlˈćndʒəloʊ/; Italian: [mikeˈlandʒelo di lodoˈviːko ˌbwɔnarˈrɔːti siˈmoːni]; 6 March 1475 – 18 February 1564) was an Italian sculptor, painter, architect and poet of the High Renaissance born in the Republic of Florence, who exerted an unparalleled influence on the development of Western art. Considered by many the greatest artist of his lifetime, and by some the greatest artist of all time, his artistic versatility was of such a high order that he is often considered a contender for the title of the archetypal Renaissance man, along with his rival, the fellow Florentine and client of the Medici, Leonardo da Vinci.

A number of Michelangelo's works of painting, sculpture and architecture rank among the most famous in existence. His output in these fields was prodigious; given the sheer volume of surviving correspondence, sketches and reminiscences, he is the best-documented artist of the 16th century. He sculpted two of his best-known works, the Pietŕ and David, before the age of thirty. Despite holding a low opinion of painting, he also created two of the most influential frescoes in the history of Western art: the scenes from Genesis on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, and The Last Judgment on its altar wall.

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all.” ~ Michelangelo

The Statue of David, completed by Michelangelo in 1504, is one of the most renowned works of the Renaissance.

The Deluge (detail)

The Creation of Adam (1510)

The First day of Creation

The Last Judgment (detail)

The Crucifixion of St. Peter

The Last Judgement

Pietŕ, St Peter's Basilica

Michelangelo's tomb in the Basilica of Santa Croce, Florence.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery - Happy Thanksgiving Everybody
« Reply #208 on: November 22, 2018, 05:15:17 AM »

Thanksgiving Day - Grandma Moses

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: DD Favorite Art Gallery - Happy Thanksgiving Everybody
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »

Thanksgiving Day - Grandma Moses

My best to you and your family, and to all the Diners.