AuthorTopic: Things that work: Solar inverters  (Read 465 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Things that work: Solar inverters
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2020, 06:04:53 PM »
The new comment.

I'm not point any fingers at anybody and everybody cool off right away because to be clear I do not say I am better than anybody else.

But, saving money conserving batteries, worrying about tax incentives are two behaviors that will lead to more carbon being released not less.

Doom has many perspectives and private prepping is only one of them.

As long as you guys are on the grid you use more energy than everyone else not less.  Can you admit or not or do you even understand that you do.  I want to know.

Half-on half-off would be a different story.
that is a fundamental difference. I believe the quickest way to innovate and decarbonize is through financial pressures so maximizing return on investment on solar incentivises private capital to invest in it building solar capacity without society at large bankrupting itself...
Off grid systems sized properly with ample solar and battery banks would break even with the grid if you were a small user of electricity with a grid charge reflective of the true cost of the grid without subsidy. If you have to rely heavily on a propane genny and propane heat... you will use more energy then a grid connected home...

I want to reiterate that I am not being a moral policeman about any of this.  I am trying to develop clarity about how everything interconnects.  There are some things which are counter-intuitive about how everything works.  If someone is actually using more energy than average to develop a system that leads to greater resilience I actually approve of what they are doing!  But that is dangerous to state after saying I'm making this about the facts and not being a moral policeman.

It is interesting you advocate electric heat.  That is an unpopular point of view but I agree with you.  People complain about electric devices being left on and wasting power and such criticism is often legitimate and accurate.  But if you are in a well insulated home it can eliminate fossil fuel use.  The qualifier is that it has to offset coal and gas use.

Describing things from a financial sense that people can understand I agree with.  Yet is complicated and a lot of claims are made.  I looked at the website for the Sol-Arc equipment.  There is 'marketing' to decipher.  I'm not saying if the equipment is good or bad; just that there is marketing to wade through. 

Looking at it all I realized if a person just looked at off grid from strictly economic points of view; only looking at 'the numbers' they might elect not to use their equipment and defeat the whole purpose of going off grid in the first place.  They certainly would not change lifestyles because they would be under no pressure to do so.
I advocate electric everything if you are grid connected with a grid fed mostly by hydro and nuclear like the ontario grid. If its fed mostly by natural gas and coal you are better heating with natural gas.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 07:05:53 AM »
To start with, the grid is less likely to go down in Texas than it is in most other locations in the US. I doubt losing grid power is much of a worry, frankly.

And at roughly 12 cents a kWh, the price is right (but who knows where prices will go?). Our local quasi-governmental power monopoly aims to be 75% renewables by 2025.....and there is already an option for consumers to buy all one's power from renewable sources for a small additional premium over the regular rates. I read about it, don't remember the exact particulars. Not sure how they guarantee that...sounds like a scam to me...but what do I know?

My interest in generating my own power comes from a desire to be more self-reliant and local, and to make huge power monopolies unnecessary for my comfortable existence. It's not about saving money, or saving the planet.

The argument about which means of obtaining one's energy is more GREEN is mostly bullshit.......perpetuated by people with a very narrow focus. One can reduce consumption in many ways, no matter where the electricity comes from....but it's often difficult to do it with existing poorly constructed houses built long ago..... that waste more than they use...and many people, including me, live in such houses that were never intended to conserve power.

My plan looks to be downsizing.....probably to the lake house eventually...but only after I do finally quit work....I could maybe build a house on the rural place still (closer to work)...but that's up in the air....not sure it makes sense at this point on my life.

There are always practical decisions that individuals have to face. But when I move out of my energy hog house, somebody else will move into it. I'll be selling it, not tearing it down. My energy use will go way down if I move into a 1000 sq ft cottage...but the house I've lived in for the last 25 years will still be there. Somebody will live in it.

More people keep moving here from all over. The population goes up, and that drives energy consumption up. There is no solution to pollution that involves unlimited y.o.y. population growth.  None that I see.

People who want to split hairs on whether some other human should use renewables or not......and especially if they want to couch it in some debate about what is morally or politically correct.......in my view such people are delusional. But there seem to be a lot of them out there these days.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »
To start with, the grid is less likely to go down in Texas than it is in most other locations in the US. I doubt losing grid power is much of a worry, frankly.

And at roughly 12 cents a kWh, the price is right (but who knows where prices will go?). Our local quasi-governmental power monopoly aims to be 75% renewables by 2025.....and there is already an option for consumers to buy all one's power from renewable sources for a small additional premium over the regular rates. I read about it, don't remember the exact particulars. Not sure how they guarantee that...sounds like a scam to me...but what do I know?

My interest in generating my own power comes from a desire to be more self-reliant and local, and to make huge power monopolies unnecessary for my comfortable existence. It's not about saving money, or saving the planet.

The argument about which means of obtaining one's energy is more GREEN is mostly bullshit.......perpetuated by people with a very narrow focus. One can reduce consumption in many ways, no matter where the electricity comes from....but it's often difficult to do it with existing poorly constructed houses built long ago..... that waste more than they use...and many people, including me, live in such houses that were never intended to conserve power.

My plan looks to be downsizing.....probably to the lake house eventually...but only after I do finally quit work....I could maybe build a house on the rural place still (closer to work)...but that's up in the air....not sure it makes sense at this point on my life.

There are always practical decisions that individuals have to face. But when I move out of my energy hog house, somebody else will move into it. I'll be selling it, not tearing it down. My energy use will go way down if I move into a 1000 sq ft cottage...but the house I've lived in for the last 25 years will still be there. Somebody will live in it.

More people keep moving here from all over. The population goes up, and that drives energy consumption up. There is no solution to pollution that involves unlimited y.o.y. population growth.  None that I see.

People who want to split hairs on whether some other human should use renewables or not......and especially if they want to couch it in some debate about what is morally or politically correct.......in my view such people are delusional. But there seem to be a lot of them out there these days.
I tend to agree money wise. In rural ontario this house which currently uses 8kwhr per day ends up with a per kwhr bill with delivery of 26 to 30 cents per kwhr... the more I use so say I keep the garage above freezing using electricity that cost would drop to about 20 cents. The last conservative government sold off the power generation half of the utility which usually made money and kept the power distribution half which usually loses money... funny that. I will net meter the new house to try and get my bill down to the bare bones grid hookup fee and no consumption. I will use the battery backup hybrid for resiliency and greater flexibility. I'm quite green but it's also about control of future expenses as well...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 01:41:18 PM »
The last conservative government sold off the power generation half of the utility which usually made money and kept the power distribution half which usually loses money... funny that.

Favorite conservative tactic. Privatize the profit center and let the taxpayers keep the money-losing bits.

It isn't really THAT funny, if you pay taxes.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »
The last conservative government sold off the power generation half of the utility which usually made money and kept the power distribution half which usually loses money... funny that.

Favorite conservative tactic. Privatize the profit center and let the taxpayers keep the money-losing bits.

It isn't really THAT funny, if you pay taxes.

I find this hilarious.  lol.  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

I don't pay for any of this bullshit.  Not the War Machine or anything else.  It's up to the Tax Donkeys to do that.  Plus I get my Med Insurance for FREE!  :icon_sunny:  Although granted, it can take some time to get an appointment with another out of state Pro from Dover for a new opinion on what the chances are for saving your legs.

I also did have to pay for the FIRST CLASS plane tickets to Seattle to see said PfD.  But, by shopping carefully for my tickets, I actually came in cheaper than a typical Coach Class ticket, when you count in what I save on the luggage fees, the FREE FOOD on the plane, not to mention the FREE BOOZE I will consume during the flight. lol.  I also get to hang out and hobnob in the FIRST CLASS lounge with all the fucking morons who don't know how to do this sort of shit, or are just too lazy to do it.

So please, spare us your Crocodile Tears.

RE
Save As Many As You Can