AuthorTopic: Snap worthy Friday dinner; Burger and fries  (Read 153 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Snap worthy Friday dinner; Burger and fries
« on: February 21, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »
I have two girls under the age of 9 so my meals have to be different then most here. They go to school, so lunch stuff is required, they can be fickle and like a good variety. You could try a casserole four meals in a row but would face a mutiny. I love food in case you did not know that. Tonight I really wanted a burger which I don't really crave more than once a month but when I do watch out! I have never come across a child that does not like a burger and fries so the girls were on board. Michael Paulin who I really like says if you want a burger and fries then go ahead and have one but make it yourself. If you have to make the fries trust me you won't have them all that often.  So, tonight's dinner was 1/4 lb burgers, with cheddar cheese, fresh crusty buns lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and homemade fries cooked in beef tallow. If you have had the misfortune of only having had canola oil fried fries I feel for you. Lard works as well but beef tallow is supreme for fries. This is an expensive meal for us so don't extrapolate my week expenses from this.
So what does it cost? Remember I shop in canadian dollars so subtract 25% from the numbers.  I found a good deal on beef recently and bought 8 lbs at 50 percent off for $3.50 a pound for lean ground beef. Its a few days before expiration so you freeze it and thaw as needed. So roughly $0.88 per burger. good crusty buns run at $0.40, A slice of tomato $0.20, (highway robbery but its winter and it looks pretty) some lettuce, and condiments another $0.20 same on the potatoes $0.20. I used up some Tallow so add another $0.20 for that... We went all out and had apple juice for the girls and a pepsi for me (living large I know) so add $0.90 or$0.30 each . Grand total of $2.38 canadian or $1.78 each in USD.  My partner was away for dinner so her burger is still in the fridge. total for 3 people of $7.14 canadian or $5.36 USD. OK I hear you ask if its such a big night why make it go to Mcdonalds it costs peanuts right?
Happy meals are $4.50 each, and a Quarter pounder meal is 10.50 so for three people that is $19.50 plus 13%sales tax as restaurant food is taxed, groceries are not so $22.05 or $16.50 USD. But it gets more fun then that! The nearest Mc D to here is 25 minutes away and would cost $8.00 of gas to get there and back. for a non spend of $17.15 USD... Money mustache guy who I also like  says a millionare is made one $10 decision at a time... Happy friday
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:44:00 PM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Snap worthy Friday dinner; Burger and fries
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »
Looks fantabulous NF. If we keep it up at this rate Doomstead Diner might become the new Pinterest.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 08:07:51 AM »
I have two girls under the age of 9 so my meals have to be different then most here. They go to school, so lunch stuff is required, they can be fickle and like a good variety. You could try a casserole four meals in a row but would face a mutiny. I love food in case you did not know that. Tonight I really wanted a burger which I don't really crave more than once a month but when I do watch out! I have never come across a child that does not like a burger and fries so the girls were on board. Michael Paulin who I really like says if you want a burger and fries then go ahead and have one but make it yourself. If you have to make the fries trust me you won't have them all that often.  So, tonight's dinner was 1/4 lb burgers, with cheddar cheese, fresh crusty buns lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and homemade fries cooked in beef tallow. If you have had the misfortune of only having had canola oil fried fries I feel for you. Lard works as well but beef tallow is supreme for fries. This is an expensive meal for us so don't extrapolate my week expenses from this.
So what does it cost? Remember I shop in canadian dollars so subtract 25% from the numbers.  I found a good deal on beef recently and bought 8 lbs at 50 percent off for $3.50 a pound for lean ground beef. Its a few days before expiration so you freeze it and thaw as needed. So roughly $0.88 per burger. good crusty buns run at $0.40, A slice of tomato $0.20, (highway robbery but its winter and it looks pretty) some lettuce, and condiments another $0.20 same on the potatoes $0.20. I used up some Tallow so add another $0.20 for that... We went all out and had apple juice for the girls and a pepsi for me (living large I know) so add $0.90 or$0.30 each . Grand total of $2.38 canadian or $1.78 each in USD.  My partner was away for dinner so her burger is still in the fridge. total for 3 people of $7.14 canadian or $5.36 USD. OK I hear you ask if its such a big night why make it go to Mcdonalds it costs peanuts right?
Happy meals are $4.50 each, and a Quarter pounder meal is 10.50 so for three people that is $19.50 plus 13%sales tax as restaurant food is taxed, groceries are not so $22.05 or $16.50 USD. But it gets more fun then that! The nearest Mc D to here is 25 minutes away and would cost $8.00 of gas to get there and back. for a non spend of $17.15 USD... Money mustache guy who I also like  says a millionare is made one $10 decision at a time... Happy friday

Nice work!  :icon_sunny:

Not to mention with the Mickey D's Burgers, you're not talking Top Quality Lean Ground Beef, it's Green Slime. lol.

I will say I don't buy the 90% Lean Meat, I buy 85% or even 80%.  I like the FAT!  ;D  Makes the burgers more flavorful IMHO, plus when I grill them I save the fat that extrudes from them, and then I use that fat to Deep Fry my French Fries, which I make from fresh Alaska Grown Potatoes.  :icon_sunny:

I also make my Burgers about 1/3 lb not 1/4.  I like them more plump and rare on the inside, which you also cannot get at Mickey D's,  or even a higher level chain restaurant like Red Robin.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 08:41:25 AM »

Nice work!  :icon_sunny:

Not to mention with the Mickey D's Burgers, you're not talking Top Quality Lean Ground Beef, it's Green Slime. lol.

I will say I don't buy the 90% Lean Meat, I buy 85% or even 80%.  I like the FAT!  ;D  Makes the burgers more flavorful IMHO, plus when I grill them I save the fat that extrudes from them, and then I use that fat to Deep Fry my French Fries, which I make from fresh Alaska Grown Potatoes.  :icon_sunny:

I also make my Burgers about 1/3 lb not 1/4.  I like them more plump and rare on the inside, which you also cannot get at Mickey D's,  or even a higher level chain restaurant like Red Robin.

RE
I find there is still a lot of fat drippings from  store bought lean. When I buy local grass fed lean is way lean... I usually deglaze and make a gravy for the fries. I did not last night. I would say my burger was closer to 1/3 at the expense of the girls'; one of the advantages of being the head cook. I like a little pink in mine as well. The girls I cook clean through on the commercial stuff...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 08:52:10 AM »
They will put a hamburger (fries with that) on my tombstone. Oh, well, everybody dies of something, sooner or later.

Lately I've lightened up some.......but I've replaced my burger fetish with one for Chicago style hotdogs....Out of the deep-frier and into the mystery meat vat.

The bread is probably the big killer...because we screwed up wheat to gain yield generations ago..and our gut doesn't do well with it, most of us. That's apparently the real story on coronary artery disease. Cholesterol is involved, but it isn't the cause, per se.

And of course...I LOVE bread...of all kinds, but especially nice hot white-flour bread with its smooth texture and wonderful oven smell.

I ate alone last night after a dinner-time run to Home Depot to spend all my money on lumber and concrete to get started on the new boat shed...they have moved the date to this Monday to raise the lake.

I ate a deli sandwich, chicken salad,.....and much later a pre-fab chicken pie, followed by a couple of peach turnovers swilled down with a lot of milk. I have a dairy fetish too. It was organic milk, at least.

I must now get my lazy ass in gear.  The trailer is full of 16 foot 4x4's and bags of ready mix. I have to be careful with the cement. It almost crippled me last year, and I have not fully recovered. I am going to move it one bag at a time and try to handle it sensibly, in smaller. lighter loads....I was smart enough to buy the 60 pound bags this time instead of saving pennies by buying the 80 pounders that crippled me.

I'm skpping breakfast because I slept in.....maybe some buttered biscuits...all white flour.....slathered in butter. Yeah,,,,,that sounds healthy....hehehe.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:57:16 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🍔 NOT your Burger & Fries Lunch
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
I find there is still a lot of fat drippings from  store bought lean. When I buy local grass fed lean is way lean... I usually deglaze and make a gravy for the fries. I did not last night. I would say my burger was closer to 1/3 at the expense of the girls'; one of the advantages of being the head cook. I like a little pink in mine as well. The girls I cook clean through on the commercial stuff...

OK, this Kobe Beef Lunch in Tokyo will set you back $220/person.   :o

However, I can do basically the same meal for about $0.15 cents on the dollar at home.  I don't use Kobe Beef of course, but I do use good quality Fillet Mignon.  I will look for some ON SALE  :icon_sunny: and do it up in the near future for the Diner Sunday Brunch.  It will also fit in the monthly SNAP Card Budget of $150/person as one of the Premium Meals you can eat in that month.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/j-0ZhPxxUeo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/j-0ZhPxxUeo</a>
Save As Many As You Can