AuthorTopic: A Preemptive Eulogy for the Cassette Adapter  (Read 59 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
A Preemptive Eulogy for the Cassette Adapter
« on: February 22, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
This has "ME" written all over it.........

My daily driver is a '97 model with a cassette deck. Maybe you can relate. The main reason I'm interested in this device is I'm sick & tired of canned
music followed by canned hokey ads & more ads.

As we move into an era of increasingly convoluted and exclusionary music-playing options, a moment of recognition is in order for the last great car stereo equalizer.

I consider myself incompetent when it comes to figuring out how most common technology works. I’m not proud of this — I find it somewhat embarrassing to consider how, if I were transported to the Middle Ages, I wouldn’t be able to make a light bulb from scratch and be received as a God. But whether I can personally make a light bulb or not, I still understand it, at least marginally.

But I barely understand the cassette tape adapter, no matter how I try. For those who’ve never had the pleasure, the general premise of a cassette adapter was this: You drive a car that’s old enough to have a tape deck, but because it’s the 21st century, you play your music from your phone or iPod. To bypass the dissonance, you insert a flimsy, empty cassette with an AUX cord coming out of it, and then plug that into your device. At this point, black magic runs through the cord into your tape player, and now “Old Town Road” is playing through your speakers, holy crap.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/a-preemptive-eulogy-for-the-cassette-adapter?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind