PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Urban Permaculture

AuthorTopic: Urban Permaculture  (Read 6112 times)

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Permaculture
« Reply #285 on: May 20, 2020, 10:02:11 AM »
good stuff cam keep it up! June is coming...

Thank you! Yeah the beginning of June is beginning to feel like some sort of D-Day but for planting  :icon_sunny:

Nice work. I've been meaning to post some garden pics. It's been a nice wet, cool year and I have high hopes for the tomatoes, even though we started kinda late.

Please do when you get the chance. It's neat to see just how much there is for me to try and learn about.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 20, 2020, 05:49:34 PM »
IMG 0403 3
IMG 0403 3

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:00:12 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 20, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »
I recorded another discussion with Irv Mills this morning, focusing on Community Gardens and Permaculture.  Won't go up for a while though, in this Sunday's Edition of the Collapse Cafe we discuss Ontario HydroElectric & Nuclear Power.

Coming Soon to a Laptop Near You.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 20, 2020, 06:12:20 PM »
IMG 0403 3
IMG 0403 3

That's pretty neat that you've already got tomatoes! I'm still yet to have a full size home grown tomato (grown by me) and I am very excited to see how they taste.

I recorded another discussion with Irv Mills this morning, focusing on Community Gardens and Permaculture.  Won't go up for a while though, in this Sunday's Edition of the Collapse Cafe we discuss Ontario HydroElectric & Nuclear Power.

RE

Looking forward to it! Good timing on the electrical stuff as I'm doing a bit of a deep dive into the fundamentals of electricity.

Online Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 20, 2020, 06:20:43 PM »
I didn't know..but my daughter just picked the first ripe tomato. The internet is too slow right now to upload....I have more pics I'll post tomorrow.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 20, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »

That's pretty neat that you've already got tomatoes! I'm still yet to have a full size home grown tomato (grown by me) and I am very excited to see how they taste.

RE

Looking forward to it! Good timing on the electrical stuff as I'm doing a bit of a deep dive into the fundamentals of electricity.

Irv is a Gold Mine of info on this stuff.  You should go visit with him..He's in Kincardine  on the Great Lake they call Huron.  lol.

Quote from: Gordon Lightfoot
Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
In the rooms of her ice-water mansion
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen
And farther below Lake Ontario
Takes in what Lake Erie can send her
And the iron boats go as the mariners all know
With the gales of November remembered

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6DUFPNILvM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/K6DUFPNILvM</a>

RE
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:18:45 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 21, 2020, 03:19:14 PM »

RE

Irv is a Gold Mine of info on this stuff.  You should go visit with him..He's in Kincardine  on the Great Lake they call Huron.  lol.

Quote from: Gordon Lightfoot
Lake Huron rolls, Superior sings
In the rooms of her ice-water mansion
Old Michigan steams like a young man's dreams
The islands and bays are for sportsmen
And farther below Lake Ontario
Takes in what Lake Erie can send her
And the iron boats go as the mariners all know
With the gales of November remembered

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6DUFPNILvM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/K6DUFPNILvM</a>

RE

He would be a good person to get in contact with. Especially as I'm going into electrical work and that was his career if I'm not mistaken.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2020, 04:36:03 PM »

He would be a good person to get in contact with. Especially as I'm going into electrical work and that was his career if I'm not mistaken.

Yes.  Irv went to college for 3 weeks, didn't like it and went back to the farm.  He eventually got a job with the Ontario Electric Authority, moved up through the ranks as an Electrician and was Foreman of a crew for most of his career.  He wrote their training manual from his notes over the years training new electricians.  He finished as the Manager for his district which is quite large and includes several Nuke and Hydro Plants.  Irv knows more about this stuff than most Nuke Engineers.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2020, 05:40:03 PM »

Yes.  Irv went to college for 3 weeks, didn't like it and went back to the farm.  He eventually got a job with the Ontario Electric Authority, moved up through the ranks as an Electrician and was Foreman of a crew for most of his career.  He wrote their training manual from his notes over the years training new electricians.  He finished as the Manager for his district which is quite large and includes several Nuke and Hydro Plants.  Irv knows more about this stuff than most Nuke Engineers.

RE

Jeez he does sound like someone I can learn a ton from. I'll put him on my list of people to get to know.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2020, 05:55:13 PM »

RE

Jeez he does sound like someone I can learn a ton from. I'll put him on my list of people to get to know.

You will.  We have several more discussions scheduled to do.  I'll invite you to be in on one of them.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 22, 2020, 03:38:37 AM »

RE
sounds like an interesting fellow...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Urban Permaculture - I have a generous neighbour
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »
And she'll get some of whatever I manage to grow a lot of! She gave me four pieces of rigid non-metallic conduit, which is pretty much flexible but strong little plastic pipes. Now I've got a frame to either put plastic wrap or shading cloth over depending on the weather. I secured them with some extra pieces of 2x4 that were laying around. Just sawed into it a bit then drilled out the rest to make a little hole for the pipe...doesn't look pretty but it works.  She also gave me one of her extra grow lights. Oh and I forgot to post this earlier, I got my first harvest a few days back. It ain't much, just a handful of lettuce, but the feeling of accomplishment is the same one I've got in past years.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2020, 03:35:33 PM »
Nice score cam... even a small covered area will help you immensely. That first spring salad is always magical
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 31, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »
It sure will I'm very excited to have it. It'll certainly help if we get any surprise frosts or some wacky heat waves.