AuthorTopic: Limits on food stamps.  (Read 1208 times)

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
Limits on food stamps.
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
I propose the states limit the use of food stamps to only those goods produced within that state. 

I.E., fresh fruit and vegetables grown in the state, meat raised in the state, or foods processed by companies located in state.  Fast food and supermarket chains that are wholly owned by companies registered within the state, with shareholders limited to residents of the state. 

Restrictions on welfare payments to keep as much of the money circulating in the local economy and not going to Wall street as possible.  The bigger the welfare bill, the more important it is the money stays circulating in the local economy. If nothing else, the proposal would focus attention on who the real scammers of the poverty-industrial complex really are.   

I'm not sure if food stamps are a federal or state program, but I'm sure the feds would like to hand it off, probably unfunded.

Thoughts?

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Limits on food stamps.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:04:49 PM »

I'm not sure if food stamps are a federal or state program, but I'm sure the feds would like to hand it off, probably unfunded.

Da Feds already Handed off the Food Stamp program.  It's now the SNAP Card program and they handed it off to J.P Morgan Chase, who rake in a tidy profit administering the program.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »

Da Feds already Handed off the Food Stamp program.  It's now the SNAP Card program and they handed it off to J.P Morgan Chase, who rake in a tidy profit administering the program.

RE

Who's the graft channeled through, fed or states?  I'e. who pays?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 04:20:47 PM »

Federal program.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 04:25:27 PM »

Federal program.

RE

I'm surprised they haven't tried to transfer the costs to the states.  Maybe it's one area that should be devolved to the state level. 

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 04:33:22 PM »
I was wondering if California (or other progressive state) would go for this as a voter-mandated item.  Probably not, too many people them already, and they are unlikely to vote against what Big Food will tell them is a limit of choice.

Of course, you could mandate a "discount" to users of food stamps, make it referendum on choice versus value.  Its effectively an inflation-based tax, since prices will rise on non-food stamp purchase of the same items, but most would not understand that, they're blind to most forms of taxation.   

Offline widgeon

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 05:40:24 PM »
The purpose of the program is to provide a dependable guaranteed flow of $ to food corps, WMT, and JPM.  They certainly don't want those using this system to buy something elsewhere.  Now, they CAN.  But, people being what they are, few make the effort.  WMT's business plan can easily be interpreted to be to compete to be the first stop on the beneficiaries shopping excursion on the first of the month. 

A couple years ago there was a big push at our farmers market to sign the vendors up to take WIC checks.  Everyone did.  I'm not aware of a single WIC being given as payment in 2 years.  Maybe there were a few, but I've never seen one nor talked w/ a vendor that did and now, all have let their "approval" to be the program expire.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »

I'm surprised they haven't tried to transfer the costs to the states.  Maybe it's one area that should be devolved to the state level.

States could not afford the cost of a Food Stamp program under the current meme.  They R BROKE.  Only reason Da Federal Goobermint can afford and administer said program through JPMC is that this is the Center of Credit Creation here in the FSoA.  It all goes onto the Ever-Expanding deficit spending Balance Sheet, Guaranteed by Future Tax Revenue that will never arrive.  Works till it doesn't.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 06:10:38 AM »
Another fine example of a great idea that has absolutely no chance of ever happening. Add it to the (long) list. Just like health care is controlled by big insurance to their advantage (and the disadvantage of all others), the food stamp program is controlled by those who can extract profit from it....corporate interests. What might be best for the people really doesn't matter at all.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.