AuthorTopic: Why Biden Won't Choose Susan Rice  (Read 43 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Why Biden Won't Choose Susan Rice
« on: May 24, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
In the black community in America, there are some very exceptionally bright, qualified individuals who would no doubt provide exceptional leadership.....I thought that perhaps Obama would be such an individual. When he ran the first time, I was impressed by his statesman-like demeanor and his obvious intelligence.

But it never really panned out. Maybe there are good reasons for that.......good reasons he never attacked the status quo in any meaningful way.....(I do give him a few points on healthcare).....but it was almost as if getting elected was the pinnacle of his career. The Nobel committee thought so....I was expecting more.....like maybe an end to the West Bank crisis.....I always thought Obama was a decent man....still do, but his administration disappointed me mightily.

But he did bring some highly qualified persons of color into his Whitehouse...and the most highly qualified of all of them was Susan Rice.

Washington DC is a city with a long history......of homegrowing some really impressive black people from all walks of life.....doctors, lawyers, scholars....you name it. Maybe part of that has to do with geography and the proximity of DC to Virginia.....I believe that, and the reasons I believe that are complicated and many...something for another thread....but it also has to do with DC attracting exceptional black people from all over the country...to attend the best black colleges, to practice civil rights law in front of the Supreme Court.....lots of reasons bright black people have come there, since before the Civil War.

I would say that DC now has the strongest black middle class and even upper class...of any city in America.....and Susan Rice is a product of that.....she has the kind of accomplishments that can't be given to someone or faked. Only earned.

Rice was born in Washington, D.C.,[4] to Emmett J. Rice (1919–2011), a Cornell University economics professor and the second black governor of the Federal Reserve System,[4] and education policy scholar Lois Rice (née Dickson), who helped design the federal Pell Grant subsidy system and who joined the Brookings Institution in 1992.[5] Her maternal grandparents were Jamaican.[6] Her parents divorced when Rice was ten years of age.[7]

Rice was a three-letter varsity athlete,[8] student government president, and valedictorian at National Cathedral School in Washington, D.C., a private girls' day school.[9] She attended Stanford University, where she received a Truman Scholarship and graduated with a BA with honors in history in 1986. She was elected Phi Beta Kappa her junior year.[10][11][12]

Awarded a Rhodes Scholarship, Rice attended New College, Oxford, where she earned a Master of Philosophy in 1988 and a Doctorate of Philosophy in 1990, both in International Relations.[12] Her doctoral dissertation was entitled Commonwealth Initiative in Zimbabwe, 1979–1980: Implications for International Peacekeeping. Chatham House, the Royal Institute of International Affairs, honored her dissertation as the UK's most distinguished in international relations.[4][13]

Rice was a foreign policy aide to Michael Dukakis during the 1988 presidential election. She was a management consultant at McKinsey & Company, a global management consulting firm, from 1990 to early 1992. Rice worked in McKinsey's Toronto office.[14]

Rice said that her parents taught her to "never use race as an excuse or advantage", and as a young girl she "dreamed of becoming the first U.S. senator from the District of Columbia".[4]

Biden knows Rice very well, since she was national security advisor to Obama. She understands foreign policy better than anyone now living, probably.....better than he does...and she doesn't have one iota of the kind of problems he has.......with his son profiting from policy decisions he participated in in the last Dem administration. She even sacrificed her own ambitions and took one for the team when she withdrew her nomination for Secretary of State.

In the State Department she was a protege of Madeleine Albright......interestingly, she didn't get along with Richard Holbrooke, who was the mentor of the young Ronan Farrow, who once appeared to be headed for a diplomatic career.

The main thing that characterizes Rice, other than her obvious scholarship and brains, is her honesty.....she is straight-up, The Republicans have made many attempts to smear her, starting with the debacle in Benghazi...but nothing has stuck. They are trying to smear her now, ginning up this nothingburger Trump wants to call Obamagate.....but it won't stick either.

But Biden won't choose her.....he no doubt fears her, is intimidated by her intellect, and is confused by her dedication to the truth. Like most politicians, he has one truth for himself and another version for public consumption.

Susan Rice, however,, of all the shortl-isted female black VP candidates that have been mentioned.....is the only one who would be a decent POTUS. Maybe better than decent. Maybe great.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:03:48 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Why Biden Won't Choose Susan Rice
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 11:41:21 AM »

Susan Rice, however,, of all the shortl-isted female black VP candidates that have been mentioned.....is the only one who would be a decent POTUS. Maybe better than decent. Maybe great.

[/color]

A couple of days ago, I had a similar conversation with my wife about Susan Rice. For my money she would be an inspired choice, and his best.
She says it's not gonna happen.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Why Biden Won't Choose Susan Rice
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 11:50:14 AM »

[/color]

A couple of days ago, I had a similar conversation with my wife about Susan Rice. For my money she would be an inspired choice, and his best.
She says it's not gonna happen.

Obviously I agree with her. And it is a shame.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.