AuthorTopic: The new 'Stead  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
The new 'Stead
« on: May 31, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
We spent a long weekend at the new property. This weekend was devoted to clearing some trees from around the existing 24x24 shed to give it better solar exposure mounting the rewired inverter setup for site power and mowing the back meadow. It seems we have about 30 mature maples we could tap and at least 2 old apple trees... lots of potential for coming years... pics are inverter, meadow, front pasture.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The new 'Stead
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
Pretty. Very nice!

Is this really far from your old place?
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 03:56:28 PM »
Pretty. Very nice!

Is this really far from your old place?
About 2 hours south and east near tweed ontario. Flatter, lower elevation, flatter but more agricultural.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 04:18:15 PM »
This is so neat to see NF, congrats! It already looks like beautiful land and I know you're gonna transform it pretty quick into a proper Doomstead.  :)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 04:31:26 PM »
This is so neat to see NF, congrats! It already looks like beautiful land and I know you're gonna transform it pretty quick into a proper Doomstead.  :)
house this year, the large main array as well. Some gardens next. If I was a fast collapse person I would emphasize food but its surrounded by agricultural land so I'll concentrate on the house and solar.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 05:17:23 PM »
house this year, the large main array as well. Some gardens next. If I was a fast collapse person I would emphasize food but its surrounded by agricultural land so I'll concentrate on the house and solar.

Very neat stuff. I've been watching the basics of setting up a solar array and it actually doesn't look crazy complicated which is actually pretty encouraging. Do you mean build a house or do renovations?

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 05:26:06 PM »

Very neat stuff. I've been watching the basics of setting up a solar array and it actually doesn't look crazy complicated which is actually pretty encouraging. Do you mean build a house or do renovations?
we will build a house. As a crusty carpenter I would find it darn near impossible to buy a house someone else built. Basic off grid solar is straight forward. The gear is much better and better designed then it was 16 years ago. Panels are much cheaper, there is more broad based info online now. There are still a lot of ways to mess it up. I came across countless ways people botched it while I was doing the solar consultant gig.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 02:20:16 AM »
The spread looks magnificent!
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 08:50:31 AM »
thank you. Yes there is a fair bit of open space. I'm so used to my forests and rock it is a nice change. My greenie self is confused; we bought a used ride on lawn mower...

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 09:10:17 AM »

we will build a house. As a crusty carpenter I would find it darn near impossible to buy a house someone else built. Basic off grid solar is straight forward. The gear is much better and better designed then it was 16 years ago. Panels are much cheaper, there is more broad based info online now. There are still a lot of ways to mess it up. I came across countless ways people botched it while I was doing the solar consultant gig.

Cool I'm excited to see that. That's good to hear on the solar front because that's gonna be something I'll be getting into at some point. It'll be nice to have your expertise here and to watch you build here on the Diner (I hope you post pics).

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 09:14:23 AM »

Cool I'm excited to see that. That's good to hear on the solar front because that's gonna be something I'll be getting into at some point. It'll be nice to have your expertise here and to watch you build here on the Diner (I hope you post pics).
I'll probably post up some pics. It's going to be a very busy year.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2020, 11:57:25 AM »
Looking forward to it  :)

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »

I could not even begin to contemplate doing what you are doing at this age and state of decay; but I wish you every success and also want toes your pix. Eddie is always good about posting pix, and it is really instructive to see what people are doing IRL.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 05:15:03 PM »
thank you. Yes there is a fair bit of open space. I'm so used to my forests and rock it is a nice change. My greenie self is confused; we bought a used ride on lawn mower...

Sometimes practical HAS to win out.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 06:07:05 PM »

I could not even begin to contemplate doing what you are doing at this age and state of decay; but I wish you every success and also want toes your pix. Eddie is always good about posting pix, and it is really instructive to see what people are doing IRL.
well, its relative as well. My partner and I are both selling our houses that are paid for and combining households... we will be selling while the market is still ok here and building during what will probably be a huge downturn. Bad for society as a whole but building products get cheaper, subrrades are more available and it gives you something to do as the recession takes hold... I'm a gen xer also society has been kind of crappy my whole life.I have no glorious benchmark to compare today to. And honestly today at its worst is better then the economic conditions in my childhood with stagflation, 20 percent interest, imminent nuclear war a parent whose business collapsed, a forced move ... relative.