AuthorTopic: The new 'Stead  (Read 1173 times)

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
Re: The new 'Stead
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 04:20:52 PM »
Looks awesome NF.  How many acres?

I'm jealous that you can build your own.  That should save around 200 to 300k. 

I was pretty shocked to find out what I'll pay for my double wide if I just pay the minimum every month.  It's 119k on 23 years.  I'll end up paying 250k if I just make the minimum.  Some how that makes good sense.  Of course I plan to make a double payment every January at a minimum.  I plan to do that.  I'm told that will take 23 years down to 15.  I also intend to pay a hundred extra every month.  That should shave off a few more years.  Throw in a couple extra bones here and there and I can get it down to something like 12 years and only pay something like 180k for a double wide.  Of course it's dry walled and has 8 foot ceilings, and insets, and a wood burning fireplace, and you wouldn't know it's a trailer from the outside or inside unless I tell you...so that's something. 

Nothing like what you are doing. 

I'm still hopeful that I can buy one of the prefab 10' domes to plop down on the land.  I want that just for a tornado shelter.  I'd probably use it as a grow dome/beer brewing space on a regular.  If my memory serves me I think you can have one delivered for around 10k.  At least here in the lower 48. 

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »

I was pretty shocked to find out what I'll pay for my double wide if I just pay the minimum every month.  It's 119k on 23 years.  I'll end up paying 250k if I just make the minimum.  Some how that makes good sense.  Of course I plan to make a double payment every January at a minimum.  I plan to do that.  I'm told that will take 23 years down to 15.  I also intend to pay a hundred extra every month.  That should shave off a few more years.  Throw in a couple extra bones here and there and I can get it down to something like 12 years and only pay something like 180k for a double wide.  Of course it's dry walled and has 8 foot ceilings, and insets, and a wood burning fireplace, and you wouldn't know it's a trailer from the outside or inside unless I tell you...so that's something. 

I'm still hopeful that I can buy one of the prefab 10' domes to plop down on the land.  I want that just for a tornado shelter.  I'd probably use it as a grow dome/beer brewing space on a regular.  If my memory serves me I think you can have one delivered for around 10k.  At least here in the lower 48.
thanks... its 24.3 acres total with 3 acres approx in pasture, 2 acres in a more meadow type clearing and the rest treed. There is some deciduous but roughly 3/4 of the tree cover is spruce and pine. We are fortunate in that both my partner and I rode the real estate market up in this area. Tourism has boosted up prices. I built it 14 years ago, made ok money and had very low expenses so I will come out ok. I think the numbers you quoted are on track with the income you will make. Sure you could shave some off by building but your income would fall to zilch. For us we will take the year to build but a lot of subs I won't do this time around. Icf all the way up to the trusses. 9ft basement height, 9 ft main floor. Build budget should be 300000 to 350000 canadian depending on if we want to spend on the solar with battery backup
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 04:43:52 PM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2020, 04:41:45 PM »

Send some pics of your new McMansion LD!   :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »
thanks... its 24.3 acres total with 3 acres approx in pasture, 2 acres in a more meadow type clearing and the rest treed. There is some deciduous but roughly 3/4 of the tree cover is spruce and pine. We are fortunate in that both my partner and I rode the real estate market up in this area. Tourism has boosted up prices. I built it 14 years ago, made ok money and had very low expenses so I will come out ok. I think the numbers you quoted are on track with the income you will make. Sure you could shave some off by building but your income would fall to zilch. For us we will take the year to build but a lot of subs I won't do this time around. Icf all the way up to the trusses. 9ft basement height, 9 ft main floor. Build budgetvshould be 300000 to 350000 canadian

That land sounds perfect.  Not too much cleared that you have to maintain with a mower.  Sounds ideal.  Just enough to have some animals and some agriculture with a large wild zone for wild edibles, mushrooms, wild game to hunt, and maple syrup to harvest.  Any water on the land?  I'm sure you at least have a creek with 20 plus acres. 

The spruce could be a positive as well.  Sepp Holzer, as I'm sure you are aware, started Hugelkulture due to his excess of spruce trees.  Apparently they are good for nothing more more than Hugel if they are cut down, but they are great for that purpose.  Also great for making one of my favorite essential oils for aromatherapy.  I love the spruce smell. 

Sounds like you scored a major win.  I just want to know one thing.  If Dump deploys the military and the fsoa fail even more...can I move to Canada and help you improve your land?  I've got two strapping young boys, both of which love to work outside. 

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2020, 05:01:29 PM »

Send some pics of your new McMansion LD!   :icon_sunny:

RE

It's not built and plopped down yet.  Best case is November.  Probably will be more like December though.  They had to shut the plant down due to one employee testing positive for Rona'.  They just opened the plant back up two weeks ago, and they have a backlog.  Even before Rona' they had a back log. 

Anyways, I can send pics of the land, but no house yet.  The boy's built a fire pit in the woods though  :icon_sunny:

We camped on the land and had a continuous fire for three days.  That during a statewide burning ban.  We had no idea.  It's country enough though...so we had no problems. 

Also there is about 5 acres of a Phylostachys bamboo as well, in the woods behind my land.  It's a mystical place.  I'll take pics when I get home and post them on the Diner. 

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 05:14:50 PM »
thanks... its 24.3 acres total with 3 acres approx in pasture, 2 acres in a more meadow type clearing and the rest treed. There is some deciduous but roughly 3/4 of the tree cover is spruce and pine. We are fortunate in that both my partner and I rode the real estate market up in this area. Tourism has boosted up prices. I built it 14 years ago, made ok money and had very low expenses so I will come out ok. I think the numbers you quoted are on track with the income you will make. Sure you could shave some off by building but your income would fall to zilch. For us we will take the year to build but a lot of subs I won't do this time around. Icf all the way up to the trusses. 9ft basement height, 9 ft main floor. Build budgetvshould be 300000 to 350000 canadian

That land sounds perfect.  Not too much cleared that you have to maintain with a mower.  Sounds ideal.  Just enough to have some animals and some agriculture with a large wild zone for wild edibles, mushrooms, wild game to hunt, and maple syrup to harvest.  Any water on the land?  I'm sure you at least have a creek with 20 plus acres. 

The spruce could be a positive as well.  Sepp Holzer, as I'm sure you are aware, started Hugelkulture due to his excess of spruce trees.  Apparently they are good for nothing more more than Hugel if they are cut down, but they are great for that purpose.  Also great for making one of my favorite essential oils for aromatherapy.  I love the spruce smell. 

Sounds like you scored a major win.  I just want to know one thing.  If Dump deploys the military and the fsoa fail even more...can I move to Canada and help you improve your land?  I've got two strapping young boys, both of which love to work outside.
I've thought of hugelbeds for the front pasture as it's pretty poor soil; mostly marl which is a form of limestone rubble. I would probably do woodchip mulch and some green manure for a few years. I will for sure be planting some korean pine nut trees and more fruit trees. Surprisingly there is no flowing water on the property but there is a small irrigation pond on the front pasture and the water table is about 4ft down in the back meadow. There is a year round creek just down the road. We got lucky my partner is from the area and we wanted something near but not too near her family. This came up and cheaper then it should have been. It was zoned mineral extraction so you could not build on it so we had to do a zone change. $600;and some beaurocracy and poof its rural residential now and worth twice the money per acre...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 05:16:39 PM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 05:34:29 PM »
Oooooh! Well done on the zoning change.

I have a Tweed Farms T-Shirt. From my pot stock days.....    ;D
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 05:46:02 PM »
I've thought of hugelbeds for the front pasture as it's pretty poor soil; mostly marl which is a form of limestone rubble. I would probably do woodchip mulch and some green manure for a few years. I will for sure be planting some korean pine nut trees and more fruit trees. Surprisingly there is no flowing water on the property but there is a small irrigation pond on the front pasture and the water table is about 4ft down in the back meadow. There is a year round creek just down the road. We got lucky my partner is from the area and we wanted something near but not too near her family. This came up and cheaper then it should have been. It was zoned mineral extraction so you could not build on it so we had to do a zone change. $600;and some beaurocracy and poof its rural residential now and worth twice the money per acre...

Nice.

Well the hugel would be great if you have a good reason to cut down the spruce trees.  Of course I'm sure there is plenty of good hugel wood in the woods.  There always is.  Hugel is just reproducing what the forest naturally does. 

There is a shit load of good hugel wood on the land I bought.  There are several massive trees that have been down on the land for a number of years.  They are just woodland sponges at this point.  Past the point where termites don't even give a shit about them.  I found out pretty quickly that hugel can be a motherfucker for summoning termites, snakes to.

Honestly I think hugel is more trouble than it's worth unless you have the right conditions.  Most people don't.  The mound descends over time.  It's only good for annuals due to that fact.  However it sounds like you may have the right conditions given that you have spruce and likely a need for growing annuals with some shitty soil to boot!  I'm not sure how you make essential oil out of spruce, but I imagine it's probably by utilizing the needles.  That could be another yield along with the wood for hugel. 

First you need a reason to cut the spruce down though.  Absent that and you're just fucking up the ecology.  If it were me I'd cut the spruce down and replace it with bamboo.   :icon_sunny:

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
Oooooh! Well done on the zoning change.

I have a Tweed Farms T-Shirt. From my pot stock days.....    ;D
I had to look it up they are on Niagara on the lake... 3 hours south and west

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »
So with guests and tree clearing we only got halfway through on the array this weekend. In the last few years solar panel efficiency has increased by about 15 percent due to a new dual side reflective quality. This has resulted in a whole whack of solar farms upgrading their panels to maximize what they can generate and has flooded the market with 225 and 250 watt panels only 8 to 10 years old available for 15 to 35 cents per watt. This new array will be 12 250 watt panels and will provide power for the build until the grid connection arrives. The shot of the meadow is just for sheer enjoyment.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2020, 12:08:57 PM »
Coolio.

Micro- inverters? Or are you using a repurposed unit on that?

Show everything when you get it done, please!

It looks so green.

It's in the low 90's F here today, but it feels hotter. So glad I got the boathouse mostly done.It actually makes a very nice shade to hang out in on days like this. The dogs love it. I put a new prop on the Donzi. The hole shot is scary now. I haven't had the balls to make a speed run.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:12:03 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 12:13:27 PM »
Coolio.

Micro- inverters? Or are you using a repurposed unit on that?

Show everything when you get it done, please!

It looks so green.

It's in the low 90's F here today, but it feels hotter. So glad I got the boathouse mostly done.It actually makes a very nice shade to hang out in on days like this. The dogs love it. I put a new prop on the Donzi. The hole shot is scary now. I haven't had the balls to make speed run.
nice! I would like to be on the water. We might do a paddle this week; just canoe. Temps are in the mid 80f this week... but drop down to the low 50s at night.
The panels are powering my repurposed magnum 4024 inverter and 8 rolls l16 batteries. I'm using two fm60 charge controllers. The back meadow has a high water table so should stay green most of the summer. The front is higher and is quite dry. If I can justify the expense I'll do battery backup net metered in the house. If not simple grid tie with this system as the back up.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:17:24 PM by Nearingsfault »