AuthorTopic: The new 'Stead  (Read 10410 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SHTF boxing day or why it's good to weld
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2020, 08:14:13 PM »
One of the "Joys" I'm discovering of this new place is winter does not stay winter. After 10 days of freezing weather we received 2 inches of rain in 12 hours. My foundation blocks are sunk 4 ft in the ground. So of course I had to pump out a shit tonne of water. And of course the impeller on the sump pump sheared off on a rock, on boxing day, during our newly minted covid lockdown. Neighbours dont have one, closest relative with one is 2 hours round trip. So I had to break out the grinder and flux core welder and build one. Feeling pretty tired and I'll have to stay at the work trailer overnight but a little proud. Too bad C5 went quiet he would love this shit... hope your up late cam and eddie you guys can appreciate the fun and satisfaction of it.
Cheers,  nf

And how did it perform?

Here's welding and bodywork I'm doing this week off. Only other thing left to weld in is floorpan.
pretty well so far. Maybe too aggressive I might have to cut them down a bit it might be overheating
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: SHTF boxing day or why it's good to weld
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2020, 09:08:14 PM »
One of the "Joys" I'm discovering of this new place is winter does not stay winter. After 10 days of freezing weather we received 2 inches of rain in 12 hours. My foundation blocks are sunk 4 ft in the ground. So of course I had to pump out a shit tonne of water. And of course the impeller on the sump pump sheared off on a rock, on boxing day, during our newly minted covid lockdown. Neighbours dont have one, closest relative with one is 2 hours round trip. So I had to break out the grinder and flux core welder and build one. Feeling pretty tired and I'll have to stay at the work trailer overnight but a little proud. Too bad C5 went quiet he would love this shit... hope your up late cam and eddie you guys can appreciate the fun and satisfaction of it.
Cheers,  nf

And how did it perform?

Here's welding and bodywork I'm doing this week off. Only other thing left to weld in is floorpan.
nice! Gas shielded? I would hate to do that with my flux core. So I took an 1/8th off the blades and no more overheating... I found a pic of the original and they were about a quarter inch. It seems the impeller have a habit of breaking and you cant get parts... fuck you wayne pumps! 
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: The new 'Stead
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »
My machine has gas and fully adjustable power, but on anything except heavy gauge metal gasless is fine. 

Today you can buy a little gasless mig welder with only hi/low 50 and 100 amp settings for 200-250$. If you know how to use it, like keeping the cheaply made 'hose' fairly straight and bend free. The low setting can work fine on both 1mm steel like this 1972 GM or a new car with 0.6mm by holding the 'torch' closer or further away.  Of course if you were doing a lot of welding professionally like joining big pipes, u need one that can keep going without stopping to cool on high power and take the bigger rolls of regular wire.
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2020, 04:00:44 PM »
Nice work, yíall. This country boy is impressed.

Iíve decided to strip the new (to me) Harley frame back to bare metal and coat it with POR 15 and a topcoat. Iím in paint mode at the moment. Trying to gather up my tools. I havenít painted anything in a long time. I painted the chassis of the MGA with POR 15....terribly messy stuff, but a good really tough base coat for metal. Never used it on a motorcycle frame. I will be applying that and then the POR-15 brand of gloss black topcoat on top of that. Itís an experiment, but it has to work.....too hard to take off if it doesnít.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2021, 12:14:02 PM »
It took a lot longer then it should have but the blocks are up, openings cut out, braced, scaffold planks in, ready for inspection. Covid has all that fucked up but maybe early next week. Hopefully not too much snow before then... picture is viewed from the west side on the far side of the garage.
Cheers,  NF

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
  • You bloody galah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2021, 03:35:10 PM »
Nice work, yíall. This country boy is impressed.

Iíve decided to strip the new (to me) Harley frame back to bare metal and coat it with POR 15 and a topcoat. Iím in paint mode at the moment. Trying to gather up my tools. I havenít painted anything in a long time. I painted the chassis of the MGA with POR 15....terribly messy stuff, but a good really tough base coat for metal. Never used it on a motorcycle frame. I will be applying that and then the POR-15 brand of gloss black topcoat on top of that. Itís an experiment, but it has to work.....too hard to take off if it doesnít.

Send MGA pictures!
Getting old now. Every one I have seen is Brittish racing green.
Mate had an MGB I helped put a clutch in many years ago.
Still a few around and a lot cheaper compared to MGA's.

Now have new "MGs" floating around. (Assume you have them in US) Chinese SUVs with an MG badge.Unbelievable. By all accounts they are very ordinary.
https://mgmotor.com.au/car-models/

JOW

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 05:32:21 PM »
Lots of dotting "I's" and crossing "t's" this week. Today it was building all the beam pockets that will take the beams for the floor. The basic idea is you layout, cut out, build a beam form to keep concrete out of the space and foam it into place. Fun carpentry tasks. The only tough part is remembering to think in reverse as the foam block represents the space where you DO NOT want concrete...
Cheers,  NF

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
The new 'stead: Pouring the basement
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
This could also be titled:" moving 85 tonnes of liquid stone" or "how to spend 10000 dollars in 3 hours".
Its poured finally. A wonderfully sunny -14 celcius morning. 34 cubic meters of concrete in 3 hours all walls plumbed, all dowels in, all buttoned up for the next 48 hours.
Cheers,  NF

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The new 'stead: Pouring the basement
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2021, 09:18:34 AM »
This could also be titled:" moving 85 tonnes of liquid stone" or "how to spend 10000 dollars in 3 hours".
Its poured finally. A wonderfully sunny -14 celcius morning. 34 cubic meters of concrete in 3 hours all walls plumbed, all dowels in, all buttoned up for the next 48 hours.
Cheers,  NF

If you guys ever decide to move again, I wanna buy this house. Itís gonna be so nice.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2021, 11:56:25 AM »
Cheers,  NF

If you guys ever decide to move again, I wanna buy this house. Itís gonna be so nice.
thank you. We are trying to be just ahead enough of the curve to get the benefit without getting hammered by early adopter. I'm thinking of trying to make that my future niche for work.

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2021, 01:21:36 PM »
Cheers,  NF

I didn't know concrete could set when it's that cold. Did you set set all that formwork up yourself?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:23:33 PM by Phil Rumpole »
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2021, 01:57:55 PM »
Cheers,  NF

I didn't know concrete could set when it's that cold. Did you set set all that formwork up yourself?
yes we did all the work. The forms are insulated and become part of the wall. The foam makes them pourable down to -30c

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2021, 12:11:39 PM »
So nice to see it the basement poured. The dowels you see in the first picture are to tie in the main floor walls. The foam in the wall is just scrap cut to fit over the concrete to keep the top from freezing.
Second pic is the patio door buck it fits snug in the opening and you vibrate concrete under it to tie it in. The round holes are bleeder holes to allow air to escape and to put the vibrator. Next step the floor, some waterproof membrane and some backfilling.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:18:15 PM by Nearingsfault »

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A new 'Stead in Canada
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2021, 05:02:21 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bqJ7BeESSa8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bqJ7BeESSa8&fs=1</a>
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ĎRolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.í I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The new 'Stead : How Much Does a Tiny House Really Cost?
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2021, 05:12:40 PM »
 You probably already know that tiny houses on wheels are typically less expensive than traditional home, but how much money can you expect to spend on a teensy dwelling?

Pint-size abodes vary widely in price because they're just as diverse as their larger counterparts. Building materials and necessary appliances, not to mention fuel costs and parking fees are just some of the things that drive up the overall cost of tiny homeownership. Spending too much on this stuff can leave you with little money for anything else.

To help you come up with a realistic budget for your future dream home, we compiled the following list of pricing guidelines and surprise expenses for tiny houses on wheels.
Median Cost for a Pro Built Tiny House

What's the median cost in the U.S. for a tiny house on wheels? If you're looking for a roaming home equipped with essential conveniences for full-time living including a 3/4 bathroom, working kitchen and dining/living area, it's $59,884.

To get that number we compared prices for the year 2017 from 25 tiny home building companies located in 13 different states. Just so you know, unlike a traditional house, the price for a towable abode does not include land ó More on that later.

What can you buy for around $60,000? One example is The Shonsie, by 84 Lumber. The 206-square-foot cottage packs plenty of nice-to-haves like a kitchen stocked with Energy Star appliances and a loft bedroom with a comfortable full-size mattress.

Cheap Tiny House

It takes a lot of skill, time and money to construct a move-in ready tiny house. That's why you won't find many professionally built options with all the usual comforts for year-round living like a toilet and shower, for less than $20,000. You will, however, find a modest selection for around $25,000.

A good for instance is this 144 square foot cedar home by Little Digs Living priced to move at $25,500.

Luxury Tiny Homes

When you picture your tiny dream home on wheels, is it tricked out with granite countertops, high-end appliances, and perhaps a posh hot tub? Then expect to pay $150,000 or more for a luxury dwelling that's less than 400 square feet.

Sure, thatís a stack of cash, but for the record, the median cost for a brand-new traditional house for the year 2019 is more than $300,000, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.1

If you're looking to buy a high-end nest, behold The Alpha by New Frontier Tiny Homes. Its 246 square feet is brimming with top-notch appliances, transforming furniture and lavish fixtures. Our favorite feature is the full-size spa tub.

How Much Does it Cost to Build a Tiny House?

To get an accurate estimate, we interviewed seven first-time builders with no prior construction experience. Their costs range from $12,000 to $35,000. Here's how two of those folks built their individual dwellings.

Macy Miller transformed an old recreational vehicle that she bought for $500 into a 196 square foot home for roughly $12,000. That being said, it took her two years to pull the project together in its entirety, using mostly reclaimed materials. Full disclosure: Miller has a Master's Degree in Architecture.

Taylor Painter Wolfe is a do-it-yourselfer who built her dream home after taking a tiny house workshop. Her colorful abode cost nearly $21,000 to build including the money spent on construction plans ($759) and the trailer chassis ($4,500).

Can You Build a Tiny House for Less $10,000?

Can you build a tiny house on wheels for less than $10,000? It's not impossible if you're using mostly free building materials such as reclaimed lumber.

Another way you can trim costs is by attending a tiny house building workshop. Many first-time builders say a DIY class helped them avoid making costly blunders when constructing their homes. You can expect to pay up to $799 for a two-day workshop by Tumbleweed Tiny Houses.

To be in the know, here's a rough breakdown of material costs for tiny houses built in 2016. Please note, tools and building plans aren't included.

Trailer: $4,500 to $9,000
    Lumber: $3,000 to $10,000
    Doors and tempered glass windows rated for four season weather: $1,000 to $3,000
    Metal roofing: $500 to $1,000
    Insulation: $500 to $2000
    Exterior siding: $1,500 to $3,000
    Electrical wiring performed by a licensed electrician: $1,500 to $3,000
    Water heater: $500 to $1000
    Propane or electric heater: $200 to $800
    Tile shower: $300 to $1,000
    Composting toilet: $800 to $1500
    Additional bathroom fixtures and plumbing: $600 to $2,000
    Light fixtures: $200 to $800
    Built-in storage and kitchen cabinets: $1,500 to $5,000
    Kitchen counter: $300 to $2000
    Basic kitchen appliances: $1000 to $3000
    Wall paneling: $500 to $2000
    Flooring: $300 to $2000
    Nuts, bolts, screws and nails: $500
    Paint: $50 to $200
    Furniture: $500 to $2000

Consider a Tiny House Shell

Let's say you want to DIY your tiny house but prefer to skip the heavy lifting that comes with starting at square one. Consider a tiny house shell.

Most options like the one above by Tiny House Basics, have a finished exterior and an unfinished interior that leaves the customizing to the buyer. Depending on home size, ballpark estimates for towable shells range from $10,000 to $35,000. To make the do-it-yourself process a little easier, we suggest buying an option that has all the utility lines (water, electric and sewer) preinstalled.

Surprise Tiny House Costs

Before you downsize, there are several surprise tiny house expenses to consider:

If you plan to hit the road, you'll need a truck that can pull the weight of your dwelling. You'll also need a trailer hitch and trailer brake controller.
    To protect your investment, you'll need tiny house insurance. Teensy dwellings built to meet requirements set for recreational vehicles can usually obtain RV insurance.
    Don't have a free place to park? Then your biggest out of pocket expense besides monthly fuel costs will be land. Some RV parks welcome tiny houses. Expect to pay $500 to $1,500 per month for a spot. Rent usually includes electricity and water hookups along with Wi-Fi and trash service.
    If RV parks aren't your thing, you can rent or buy a private lot through a real estate agent or tiny house message board. Keep in mind, when it comes to extras like electricity and water, you may need to generate your own power.

https://www.thespruce.com/how-much-does-a-tiny-house-cost-4139914
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ĎRolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.í I-Ching (Hex.51)