AuthorTopic: What's the new guy up to?  (Read 329 times)

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
What's the new guy up to?
« on: June 03, 2020, 01:44:35 PM »
I got some updates that don't really fit in either a gardening or doomsteading board...little of both basically, hence this being a new topic. I got lots of pics for y'all and I'm still not done with the gardening or metal working.

So update 1: the raised beds are about 40% planted! We're past the last frost where I am now so there are lots of broccoli and cauliflower happily growing in the big bed along with some lettuce I put in earlier. I'm probably gonna start some squash in the open part of the big bed or in the smaller one, not sure yet. Also the potatoes are in their bin and ready to grow. My parents went and got some bushes: one blueberry, one saskatoon berry, and the other has currants. All but the currant shrub have been planted in the backyard. My mom also transplanted some mint into our backyard, far in the back because it can be rather invasive.

Update 2: I got myself a welder. It hasn't arrived yet because covid has delayed shipping, but I have everything else I need. Helmet, gloves, chipping hammer, respirator, grinder with different discs, etc. Today I went to the metal scrap yard in town and got some metal to practice on. I now understand why people drive their vehicles back into the yard and load them there rather than carrying the metal back. That stuff is HEAVY. I think it was 62lbs and I carried it around 150m...that was a workout to say the least. It was all very rusty so I smoothed it over with the grinder which was surprisingly fun. See the before and after pics. Once the welder arrives you'll be getting some great pics of some not so great welds so you've got that to look forward to  :icon_sunny:

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: What's the new guy up to?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:00:42 PM »
My father got his welding certification when I was about ten years old.....and we lived in the country..and it was a different time......so a grinder and an acetylene torch were my favorite toys as a kid. I ground on a lot of steel.

Somewhere on this site I once documented a project I did.....maybe 5-6 years back...one of these. Mine runs on a Honda clone gas engine from Harbor Freight. It's a DC welder and it can also be used as a DC generator to charge batteries.

https://www.zena.net/htdocs/welders/weld_pic.shtml

Truth be told I haven't used it much. I should crank it and make sure it still runs.

Stick welding is a real art form. Takes some practice. Nowadays the hoods have gotten so much better than when I was young, You used to not be able to see the work until you struck an arc.

Don't breathe the fumes.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 02:02:51 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
I got some updates that don't really fit in either a gardening or doomsteading board...little of both basically, hence this being a new topic. I got lots of pics for y'all and I'm still not done with the gardening or metal working.

So update 1: the raised beds are about 40% planted! We're past the last frost where I am now so there are lots of broccoli and cauliflower happily growing in the big bed along with some lettuce I put in earlier. I'm probably gonna start some squash in the open part of the big bed or in the smaller one, not sure yet. Also the potatoes are in their bin and ready to grow. My parents went and got some bushes: one blueberry, one saskatoon berry, and the other has currants. All but the currant shrub have been planted in the backyard. My mom also transplanted some mint into our backyard, far in the back because it can be rather invasive.

Update 2: I got myself a welder. It hasn't arrived yet because covid has delayed shipping, but I have everything else I need. Helmet, gloves, chipping hammer, respirator, grinder with different discs, etc. Today I went to the metal scrap yard in town and got some metal to practice on. I now understand why people drive their vehicles back into the yard and load them there rather than carrying the metal back. That stuff is HEAVY. I think it was 62lbs and I carried it around 150m...that was a workout to say the least. It was all very rusty so I smoothed it over with the grinder which was surprisingly fun. See the before and after pics. Once the welder arrives you'll be getting some great pics of some not so great welds so you've got that to look forward to  :icon_sunny:
what welder did you buy cam? I used my Lincoln wire fed flux core weekly it's a great resilience skill to have.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 03:27:44 PM »
Nice raised beds.  I'm of the opinion that a good raised bed with micro drip irrigation is about as good as vegetable gardening gets.  Weeds are easily managed.  Micro drip can be set on a timer and emitters can be based on what crop they are irrigating.  Soil fertility can be maximized.  Square foot gardening is where it's at. 

:emthup:

Perennials are another story entirely.  But they mostly care for themselves. 

I don't know shit about welding.  It's a skill that I would like to have though. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:36:54 PM »

I don't know shit about welding.  It's a skill that I would like to have though.

The main thing you need to know about welding is you need Acetylene for it.  And/Or real high voltage for an arc welder.  Post collapse, these will be hard items to come by.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
what welder did you buy cam? I used my Lincoln wire fed flux core weekly it's a great resilience skill to have.

I got a little DC inverter welder. It's very light unlike the AC buzzboxes and it'll run on 120v or 240v, and 120v is all I have access to in the garage. I'm not expecting it to be a welder professionals would use but it'll be great to learn on. I did look around on Kijiji (Canada's version of Craigslist) but all I saw were 240v welders.

https://www.amazon.ca/SUNGOLDPOWER-Digital-Display-Inverter-Complete/dp/B01MRNGTHC?th=1

I'm not sure how long it'll last but just about all the reviews are 5 stars, even from actual people who weld as their day job. So very excited for it to say the least.

As for it being a useful skill heck yeah it will be. It was at C5's suggestion that I finally went out and got myself a welder. It has interested me for a while, ever since I saw it on Mr. Money Mustache. I was also thinking of it as a trade option to go into until I heard about the gases and cancer and all that. When I get it I'll just be focusing on all the basics and getting a good bead. In the long term I want to try putting together some wagons for firewood and garden stuff.

My father got his welding certification when I was about ten years old.....and we lived in the country..and it was a different time......so a grinder and an acetylene torch were my favorite toys as a kid. I ground on a lot of steel.

Somewhere on this site I once documented a project I did.....maybe 5-6 years back...one of these. Mine runs on a Honda clone gas engine from Harbor Freight. It's a DC welder and it can also be used as a DC generator to charge batteries.

Truth be told I haven't used it much. I should crank it and make sure it still runs.

Stick welding is a real art form. Takes some practice. Nowadays the hoods have gotten so much better than when I was young, You used to not be able to see the work until you struck an arc.

Don't breathe the fumes.

That sounds like a darn fun childhood hobby. And that generator reminds me of a whole bunch of old engines I saw laying around the scrapyard. That can be a future project for me when I'm a little more adept. I learned today that scrap yards are gold mines! Whole bunch of metal of all types and shapes and sizes, big barrels (rocket stove anyone?) and crushed cars everywhere. I felt like I do in bookstores...so much to see and check out and the employees just leaving me be made it even better.

It sure is an art form and I'm excited to get into it. I'm not going for gorgeous welds I just want them to look alright and to actually be strong. That'll come with practice and I've got a lot of time on my hands now. As for the fumes, I will stay out of the way. If I can't I'll throw an N95 on. More updates to come when the thing arrives.

Nice raised beds.  I'm of the opinion that a good raised bed with micro drip irrigation is about as good as vegetable gardening gets.  Weeds are easily managed.  Micro drip can be set on a timer and emitters can be based on what crop they are irrigating.  Soil fertility can be maximized.  Square foot gardening is where it's at. 

Thanks! They're made of recycled lumber from a renovation that happened before I was around. I've never heard of micro drip stuff but that sounds neat. I've vaguely heard of square foot gardening but haven't learned enough to put it into practice.

Neither do I. I've heard that a class at the local college is the best way to learn but that costs money and colleges are closed right now. So Youtube and practice in the garage are gonna be what teaches me. If you do want to get into it I think all my stuff I got costs in total around $350 which is darn good for learning a valuable (and friggen fun) skill.

The main thing you need to know about welding is you need Acetylene for it.  And/Or real high voltage for an arc welder.  Post collapse, these will be hard items to come by.

RE

Yeah this little guy will need either 120v or 240v electricity to be run. When collapse has gone quite a bit further and electricity becomes harder to come by it'll be more of a luxury thing that'll be used very intermittently. Maybe if gas can be scavenged it can run off a generator but that's about it. Or biofuel if one has access to that. Before that however it is a fantastic skill to have for repair, and building stuff that either just can't be purchased or is much cheaper to build yourself.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 05:45:55 PM »

I got a little DC inverter welder. It's very light unlike the AC buzzboxes and it'll run on 120v or 240v, and 120v is all I have access to in the garage. I'm not expecting it to be a welder professionals would use but it'll be great to learn on. I did look around on Kijiji (Canada's version of Craigslist) but all I saw were 240v welders.

https://www.amazon.ca/SUNGOLDPOWER-Digital-Display-Inverter-Complete/dp/B01MRNGTHC?th=1

I'm not sure how long it'll last but just about all the reviews are 5 stars, even from actual people who weld as their day job. So very excited for it to say the least.

As for it being a useful skill heck yeah it will be. It was at C5's suggestion that I finally went out and got myself a welder. It has interested me for a while, ever since I saw it on Mr. Money Mustache. I was also thinking of it as a trade option to go into until I heard about the gases and cancer and all that. When I get it I'll just be focusing on all the basics and getting a good bead. In the long term I want to try putting together some wagons for firewood and garden stuff.

Don't breathe the fumes.

That sounds like a darn fun childhood hobby. And that generator reminds me of a whole bunch of old engines I saw laying around the scrapyard. That can be a future project for me when I'm a little more adept. I learned today that scrap yards are gold mines! Whole bunch of metal of all types and shapes and sizes, big barrels (rocket stove anyone?) and crushed cars everywhere. I felt like I do in bookstores...so much to see and check out and the employees just leaving me be made it even better.

It sure is an art form and I'm excited to get into it. I'm not going for gorgeous welds I just want them to look alright and to actually be strong. That'll come with practice and I've got a lot of time on my hands now. As for the fumes, I will stay out of the way. If I can't I'll throw an N95 on. More updates to come when the thing arrives.

Thanks! They're made of recycled lumber from a renovation that happened before I was around. I've never heard of micro drip stuff but that sounds neat. I've vaguely heard of square foot gardening but haven't learned enough to put it into practice.

Neither do I. I've heard that a class at the local college is the best way to learn but that costs money and colleges are closed right now. So Youtube and practice in the garage are gonna be what teaches me. If you do want to get into it I think all my stuff I got costs in total around $350 which is darn good for learning a valuable (and friggen fun) skill.

RE

Yeah this little guy will need either 120v or 240v electricity to be run. When collapse has gone quite a bit further and electricity becomes harder to come by it'll be more of a luxury thing that'll be used very intermittently. Maybe if gas can be scavenged it can run off a generator but that's about it. Or biofuel if one has access to that. Before that however it is a fantastic skill to have for repair, and building stuff that either just can't be purchased or is much cheaper to build yourself.
Looks like a good unit to start with. stick welding is more basic and works better for thicker material. Mine is similar to this one:
https://www.amazon.ca/Lincoln-Electric-K2697-1-Welder-Handheld/dp/B002R8B75U/ref=pd_sbs_469_3/133-5613454-3336438?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B002R8B75U&pd_rd_r=d78bebd2-da15-4382-857d-bae4d25f8fdf&pd_rd_w=UchwY&pd_rd_wg=2VGQQ&pf_rd_p=0ec96c83-1800-4e36-8486-44f5573a2612&pf_rd_r=6VSEGS51CMTG03JSH4W5&psc=1&refRID=6VSEGS51CMTG03JSH4W5
but without the shielding gas I use flux core.
I am lucky the carpentry program I took had a semester of welding so I got the basics of torch cutting, brazing and welding, stick and wire feed. If a community college offers night class welding take it its well worth it. Welding as a profession depends on what the economy is doing and its very specialized...
Have fun with it, keep your sticks in a dry place and don't buy too much at one time.
Cheers,  NF
as to post collapse welding I once say a guy take a stick welder, a piece of hanger and turn a car exhaust on the work area to shield it and do a beautiful weld. Humanity is very creative... Welding is a good skill to have now or in the future
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:55:33 PM »
I have a little Century wire feed welder I used to use when I was working on cars more...argon shielded. Back in the day, almost in another life, I once worked in a very hot aluminum foundry, and part of my job was TIG welding on castings that didn't come out perfect. TIG is sort of the Holy Grail....you can weld anything with a TIG welder.

I never got good at regular stick welding. My biggest dislike of welding was the hood.....back in the day they really sucked.  I bought a 240V stick welder used, which I still have......but just never found the project that made me use it. I thought wind generators and especially rigging the towers might do it...but I got off on other trails and never even built the first tower. Avg wind at the stead was only 9mph....might have been part of it.

Welding is a good skill. My old man was good at it...and good at a good many other things......

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: What's the new guy up to? - Cam Melts Some Metal
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 05:05:27 PM »
The welder arrived! It was a bit of a wait because COVID has messed up shipping. It was supposed to be here on the 1st of this month but it got delayed. I didn't waste any time getting it going. The first few runs I had the polarity the wrong way (for the rod I'm using the electrode should be positive and I had it negative) and it shows. No matter how many amps I gave it all I got was spatter and the arc wouldn't hold. So a quick google showed my mistake and I tried it again with the electrode in the right socket. Take a look! They aren't gorgeous welds because I have no clue what I'm doing yet but they're welds!! I would have practiced more but we're in the middle of thunderstorm right now and I don't think I should weld during a thunderstorm. I burned through two electrodes making these welds and was sure to wear my N95 and to keep clear as best I could from the fumes. I forgot the helmet so I can barely see my screen right now but oh well. Just kidding.

Pic order:
1 - wrong polarity...notice how the arc was never maintained. Just little sparks.
2 - Correct polarity running at about 95 amps
3 - "" At about 125 amps

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the new guy up to? - Cam Melts Some Metal
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 05:16:33 PM »
Cam doing Body Work.   :icon_mrgreen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LARx7M9s15w" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LARx7M9s15w</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 06:08:00 PM »
Good start cam, it will come with time. Lots of good instructional videos out there so I won't bore you with tips. Flat welds are tough with stick 90 degree welds are easier. The same thunderstorm just hit here. I moved all the off grid gear to the new place so I'm enjoying my first real power outage in 15 years...
Cheers,  NF

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 06:44:32 PM »
Cam doing Body Work.   :icon_mrgreen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LARx7M9s15w" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LARx7M9s15w</a>

RE

Now I know what to do when one of my friends goes through a rough time and damages someone's car.  "Just leave everything to me," I'll say as I power on the welder and get some sparks flying.
Good start cam, it will come with time. Lots of good instructional videos out there so I won't bore you with tips. Flat welds are tough with stick 90 degree welds are easier. The same thunderstorm just hit here. I moved all the off grid gear to the new place so I'm enjoying my first real power outage in 15 years...
Cheers,  NF

Thanks! It's so neat to actually see the molten pool of metal follow exactly what I do. Right now it's a bit overwhelming remembering travel speed, rod angle, and arc length all at once but I know it will come with time. I got so focused on those three basics that I forgot to breath a few times  ::) And oh Youtube is a gold mine of videos. I was watching in anticipation before I got the welder, and now that it's here the videos are a lot cooler because I can pause and go try whatever tip it is. Hope you're having fun in the power outage! Ours didn't last long here so I got some more welds in before bedtime. 

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 09:58:32 AM »
 I actually haven't been too busy recently, but things are rolling along nicely. My garden is at the point where I just water it every once in a while and watch it flourish. In the raised beds I have broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, radishes, peas, basil and dill. My trash can potatoes are doing very well. In the past week they've shot up several inches and I just covered them up with some more compost. The only thing not doing great is the radishes: I only seem to be getting leaves. My guess is that it's too hot out for them. I was hoping that planting them in the broccoli's shade would help but maybe that wasn't enough. Oh and tomato is thriving in its pot! It has its first blooms beginning. Its cage was my first repair I did with my welder.

In terms of welding, I've been practicing! Just this morning I welded 4 card sized pieces of metal onto a big sheet for practice. Then I put on safety glasses, hearing protection, and went at them as hard as I could with a hammer. 2 survived the onslaught which I am proud of.  I also have my first project to do. One of my friends had a break-in in his neighbourhood where someone lost a bunch of tools. He's got a shed in his backyard full of tools, so I'm gonna put together a little cage of sorts to put over the window so the shed can't be broken into that way. It should be a good time. Gonna go to the scrap yard to grab some old rebar that I can use as bars. That is all the new guy wrote for now.

EDIT: I can't get pics to upload right now but I will try to figure it out. These posts are more fun with pics.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 10:09:46 AM by Cam »

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 08:38:49 AM »
Here are the pics now that I've compressed them.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 04:22:21 PM »
Good stuff Cam!