AuthorTopic: What's the new guy up to?  (Read 2111 times)

Online Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: What's the new guy up to? - Potato Harvest!
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2020, 04:01:41 PM »
The potatoes have been harvested and boy do they look tasty. They weighed in at 2.7lbs (1.2kg) which is not much but for a first attempt I am proud. My dog had a good time helping out with the harvest too, which was pretty funny. I think these will either become fries or be part of s stew...not sure yet. Either way it's neat to see comes out of a little work in the spring time: great fries come fall!

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: What's the new guy up to?
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2020, 06:49:02 AM »
They look fine and tasty.. good gardening.
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Online Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2020, 02:19:57 PM »
Thanks! I started a few years back and have been improving year over year. The taters were a new addition this time around. Also just today we got our first butternut squash. Turns out it wasn't quite ripe but we picked it because the skin had split and I didn't want it to rot. Diced it up, and covered with some olive oil, salt, pepper and lots of garlic (for you RE I tripled what the recipe said...it tasted great). Ended up being part of an excellent dinner. Eating what you grow yourself gives satisfaction that you can't get anywhere else.

Online Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »
The bike back rack is complete and it sure works. First take a peek at how it looks. Not bad for a first go though I made plenty of errors. Also the edges are still rather sharp because I haven't ground my welds down yet. I am very happy with it because I actually took my sister out for a short ride and she weighs 130lbs. I didn't hear a single creak or groan come from the rack at all. And I did my usual test of carrying a full tool box, a brick, and whatever other heavy objects I could find. It held up just fine. Much better than the store bought one where one of the bolts fell off after a couple weeks of carrying ~25lbs or so.

Big takeaways here:

- Don't use open tubing for your frame unless you can seal it shut somehow. I originally chose it because it was nice and light, but it had the drawbacks of being lots of work to weld together and being open for moisture to get in.
 - Thin rebar (~1cm thick) is best because it is light enough while still be extremely strong when stuck together.
- Next time I will weld the bottom braces (the two bars that make a 'V' with the frame) at a tighter angle so I don't need the intermediate piece to attach them to the top bars of the rack
- Use a 21 speed bike. This is common sense, but this 7-speed cruiser was my first attempt and it was the best fit for me of all the scrap bikes at my volunteer repair thing.
- I think I have just created a Collapse Harley Davidson.  Durable, practical and cool as heck.  8)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2020, 05:13:50 PM »
Looks awesome cam. You are right thin tubing is a bitch to weld using stick. Flux core wire does an ok job if you upgrade someday. Hard to beat rebar for strength. A little bit of tremclad and it will look slick.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2020, 06:05:33 PM »
Looks awesome cam. You are right thin tubing is a bitch to weld using stick. Flux core wire does an ok job if you upgrade someday. Hard to beat rebar for strength. A little bit of tremclad and it will look slick.
Thanks NF. I don't have tremclad but I do have some regular old spray paint which should do the job for now. Is tremclad a more expensive reliable brand? I've never heard of it before.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2020, 06:33:31 PM »
Thanks NF. I don't have tremclad but I do have some regular old spray paint which should do the job for now. Is tremclad a more expensive reliable brand? I've never heard of it before.
Made for coating rusty metal... rustoleum is another. Or go to tsc, any tractor alkyd paint.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2020, 02:25:43 AM »
Certainly looks sturdy, good balance between weight and strength
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Online Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2020, 05:54:43 AM »
Made for coating rusty metal... rustoleum is another. Or go to tsc, any tractor alkyd paint.

Interesting thanks for the tip.

Certainly looks sturdy, good balance between weight and strength

Thanks! So far it seems to be pretty sturdy and the next few months will make sure of that. Just gonna give it a coat of paint and it will be good to go.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2020, 06:10:05 AM »
Nice project, well executed. It's always good when you can learn some things as you go.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
Nice project, well executed. It's always good when you can learn some things as you go.

Thanks Eddie it was fun overall. Few bouts of frustration but overall learned a lot and I'm excited for round 2 when I get my next steel frame bike.