AuthorTopic: Give A Fuck  (Read 433 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Give A Fuck
« on: June 04, 2020, 05:59:14 AM »
Register to vote and show up on Election Day. My analysis is that the country is going down the tubes......and apathy is the primary reason. Hard core religious people and Trumpists are taking the elections in Texas by small margins, because they show up to vote for their tough-on-crime demagogues and their austerity loving tools of Big Money.

In these times, even a small increase in voter turnout can turn the tide. The Republicans have used gerrymandering to put a thumb on the scales in Texas....and in most other southern states....they have what is already an unfair advantage as a result. But they don't stand a chance if the legions of people who can't be bothered to vote wake up and show up. 

Quinnipiac poll: Trump-Biden `too tight to tell’ in Texas

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden is trailing President Donald Trump by 1 point in a new poll of registered voters in Texas. [Matt Rourke/Associated Press] Matt Rourke

According to the Quinnipiac University poll, 56% of Texas registered voters approved of Gov. Greg Abbott’s management of the coronavirus crisis. [Juan Figueroa/The Dallas Morning News] Juan Figueroa

Posted Jun 3, 2020 at 2:32 PM   

President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden are locked in a tight contest in Texas, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Wednesday.

“Too tight to tell in Texas,” Quinnipiac University polling analyst Tim Malloy said. “It’s a huge battleground state, it’s neck and neck, so this may be the most important state of all — and it’s right dead even. What drama.”

In the survey of 1,166 self-identified registered voters in Texas conducted May 28 to June 1, Trump had 1 percentage point over Biden — 44% to 43% — five months out from the general election.

The survey had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.

Trump defeated Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton by 9 points in Texas in 2016, down from Mitt Romney’s margin of 16 points over President Barack Obama in 2012.

If Democrats were to take Texas in 2020, it would be almost impossible for Republicans to put together an Electoral College majority for Trump’s reelection.

The poll also found continued weak numbers for U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, who is seeking a third term in November in an election that could place GOP control of the Senate at risk.

Despite a long time on the Texas political stage, Cornyn had a job approval/disapproval rating that was split down the middle, 37% to 36%, a small slump from 41% to 34% in September.

The survey held other good news for Democrats.

Most Texans approve of mail-in voting during the pandemic and mandating that people wear masks, positions identified with Democrats.

Powered by overwhelming Democratic support, 59% of Texans — 91% of Democrats, 61% of independents and 31% of Republicans — say voters should be allowed to avoid polling places by mailing in a ballot.

While 65% of respondents said people should be required to wear face masks inside Texas businesses, a smaller but still significant majority of 58% said people in Texas should be required to wear face masks whenever they are in public. Three-quarters of those polled said that’s what they do.

The poll found that 49% of Texans were happy with the pace of reopening pursued by Gov. Greg Abbott, while 38% believe he is moving “too fast.” Twelve percent said the pace was not quick enough, a relatively small group concentrated among conservative activists who have generated a lot of political flak for the governor.

For Democrats, there were also notes of caution in the poll. While Biden is leading among black and Hispanic voters, his support is softer than what he would likely need to turn Texas blue.

The poll was released as the Texas Democratic Party was holding its virtual state convention, which will end Saturday with a taped address from Biden, the party’s presumptive nominee.

Altogether, the poll found 47% of voters approved of Trump’s handling of the pandemic, and 51% disapproved, while 56% of voters approved of Abbott’s management of the crisis and 36% disapproved.

Trump received a 45% approval rating with 50% disapproving of his job performance, the same as in the September Quinnipiac poll.

Abbott had a 56% approval/32% disapproval rating, compared with 56% approving/27% disapproving in September.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz had a 45% job approval rating, with 42% disapproving, down from 49% approving/40% disapproving in September.

In the presidential match, Trump led Biden by 13 points among men, while Biden led Trump by 13 points among women. They split the vote of whites with four-year college degrees, but Trump led Biden by nearly 3 to 1 among whites without a four-year degree.

Biden led Trump among African American voters, with 76% to Trump’s 11%, a strong lead that, with 12% of black voters saying they didn’t know who to support or didn’t plan to vote, left room for Biden to grow.

Among Hispanic voters, Biden led with 53% to Trump’s 32% — not the kind of numbers that one would expect if Democrats are truly going to contend for Texas in November.

More than half of voters surveyed said they are either very or somewhat worried about becoming infected and seriously ill from the coronavirus, but the numbers vary by race, with 31% of black voters and 28% of Hispanic voters but only 13% of white voters, “very worried.”

While 35% of Texas voters said they personally know someone who has been diagnosed with the coronavirus, the number among black voters was the highest at 47%.

It remains to be seen whether the outpouring of activism in response to the police killing of Houston native George Floyd on Memorial Day in Minneapolis could lead to a voting increase that would benefit Biden.

The survey went into the field too late to tap that question.

The poll is of registered, not likely voters. It is not uncommon for Democratic prospects to look brighter this far out, only to fade in the fall. But an energized U.S. Senate campaign by Beto O’Rourke came within 3 points of defeating Cruz in 2018 in a nonpresidential election year. Democratic turnout is typically higher in presidential election years.

And the volatile nature of the Trump presidency and the coronavirus compound the uncertainty.

“Everything is so different,” Malloy said. “There’s no predicting anything anymore. The coronavirus threw a wrench into everything.”

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200603/quinnipiac-poll-trump-biden-too-tight-to-tellrsquo-in-texas
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Give A Fuck
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:40:09 AM »
I'll agree.  But vote for K-Dog POTUS.  Write me in if you  have to.

POT-US
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
America is not going down the tubes. America (USA) is way down in the murky depths of the tubes already.

We're in the smelly, ugly, stinky, rotten bowels of the tubes.  Yeah, we should vote for Democrats, because this lousy, ugly, mean, stupid dominator party is not quite as bad as the other party -- and yeah, the system is so broken that we have only two vile parties at this point. But no one is going to the polls for Biden without a clothes pin attached to their nose (over their face masks). At least no one I know.

We know we're well down into the tubes because we no longer have anything to look forward to in the future than the shithole we're in at the moment, only maybe 5-10% better than with trump in office.

Our only real hope is a rebellion against the entire disgusting culture and system of domination, ignorance and stupidity and a return to neighborliness in human scaled neighborhoods. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening either. I fully expect every kind of vile evil to continue for the rest of my life on Earth.  I expect this because, apparently, we're collectively willing to go right down those tubes.

The USA federal government has not been of any use to people for a … well, ever.  It's time to start a whole new country up. But it won't happen. It never does. We are bent on perpetuating more of the ugly, stupid same.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »
But it won't happen. It never does.

Never say Never.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 04:40:31 PM »
At the moment, I occupy a place which is neither hopeful nor hopeless -- which is both (and equally) hopeless and hopeful. A no-man's land. A place where you arrive when all that you've served diligently for a whole lifetime (I'm old enough to say that now), has amounted mostly to nothing.  I'm neither dead nor alive. I'm neither joyful nor depressed. I'm in a place which is no place, which no longer has meaning and yet is alive with meaning. I live with purpose in a void.  Despair and resignation are not for me, and yet I'm at the end of the plank which I had to walk. And I'm looking down at the sharks below.

Maybe the sharks know something, but standing here I'm neither able to believe in the purpose I have devoted myself to nor to deny and ignore it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 04:44:26 PM by JRM »
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 04:46:23 PM »
At the moment, I occupy a place which is neither hopeful nor hopeless -- which is both (and equally) hopeless and hopeful. A no-man's land. A place where you arrive when all that you've served diligently for a whole lifetime (I'm old enough to say that now), has amounted mostly to nothing.  I'm neither dead nor alive. I'm neither joyful nor depressed. I'm in a place which is no place, which no longer has meaning and yet is alive with meaning. I live with purpose in a void.  Despair and resignation are not for me, and yet I'm at the end of the plank which I had to walk. And I'm looking down at the sharks below.

You have entered...The Collapse Zone.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NzlG28B-R8Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NzlG28B-R8Y</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 05:00:40 PM »
My conclusion is that America (especially) -- and capitalist industrial civilization of the modern epoch more generally -- is a breeding ground for outrageous, inconceivable, vapid narcissism. It--narcissism-- is right smack dab at the center of the dominant culture (and discourse) in America, and it blinds the majority to the radical, fundamental relatedness of all life -- human and otherwise.

We are collectively very much mentally ill, from my perspective, as a person not much DIRECTLY affected by this pandemic.  It is very difficult to reason with those who are DIRECTLY impacted by this particular virus, which impairs human perception right at its root and core.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 05:03:13 PM by JRM »

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 05:20:38 PM »
Speaking of mental illness, you have gone from utter glee about collapse 12 weeks ago to this new place, which (in spite of what you just said) sounds like serious depression to me. I am not calling you out, just making an observation.

Collapse is a long road with a lot of big potholes. We are headed, sooner or later, into even more deep shit that what we're in now.

Best not to be too hopeful.....or to allow yourself to be crushed when things  appear hopeless.

We are all more likely to find redemption and our own inner peace if we live our lives without making our personal happiness contingent on building  a more just, verdant, and peaceful world (like they say on NPR every day).

When I hear that (the slogan of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation)...I am reminded that when he died John MacArthur was one of the three richest men in America. I am not persuaded that he was a good guy......or that his richly endowed foundation is run by good guys either. Slogans are usually bullshit.

Plant your garden. Weed your garden. Love your partner and your chosen family. Get plenty of sleep and try not to worry about shit you have no control over.. Life can be incredibly rewarding even in the worst of times.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 05:27:59 PM »
America is not going down the tubes. America (USA) is way down in the murky depths of the tubes already.

//
The USA federal government has not been of any use to people for a … well, ever.  It's time to start a whole new country up. But it won't happen. It never does. We are bent on perpetuating more of the ugly, stupid same.

I'm old enough to remember a different America. One where the cop on the beat or street was a potential source of aid and safety. Where people didn't cower in fear or snarl in loathing at their neighbors for their political beliefs. In the 60s, the federal government became a guarantor of civil rights for blacks denied them since 1876 and the Hayes-Tilden compromise, when the republicans gave up on Lincoln's vision. (They told black people they were on their own-- the same approach they take with the fetus after it clear's the mother's birth canal. the only difference being most fetuses don't have to contend with the Klan, lynchings, or race riots.)

I remember an America in which every yahoo with a grievance didn't brandish an AK-47 (or a hunting bow) at a public demonstration. Or where the President at least pretended to care about the welfare of his fellow citizens, or at least had the decency to go through the motions. . But those days are long gone, as the American public learns what foreign governments have already learned through the last three and a half years: America is no longer to be trusted or counted upon.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 05:28:45 PM »
Look, Eddie, please check yourself.

You start out saying that I had "utter glee" about collapse a few weeks ago. That's a straw man you're tangling with. Get fucking real already. I was hopeful, for a moment, that crisis would (I hoped) open up opportunities for transformation which were foreclosed. That's ALL, and I was clear enough about.

Second, get some fucking "training" in psychology, psychotherapy, or whatever, before diagnosing me with your dental license. You're swimming in waters far too deep for your "training".

Okay, now I'll  read on to know what else you may have said.

As for my "depression". I'm in grief! There is a difference. Perhaps you should go back to school for some more training.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 05:33:21 PM »
I'm grieving the loss of a future which made sense, in which people cared for one another, were sincere about caring about knowledge, and all that old fashioned shit from last century, punk! FU.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »
Speaking of mental illness, you have gone from utter glee about collapse 12 weeks ago to this new place, which (in spite of what you just said) sounds like serious depression to me. I am not calling you out, just making an observation.

Collapse is a long road with a lot of big potholes. We are headed, sooner or later, into even more deep shit that what we're in now.

Best not to be too hopeful.....or to allow yourself to be crushed when things  appear hopeless.

We are all more likely to find redemption and our own inner peace if we live our lives without making our personal happiness contingent on building  a more just, verdant, and peaceful world (like they say on NPR every day).

When I hear that (the slogan of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation)...I am reminded that when he died John MacArthur was one of the three richest men in America. I am not persuaded that he was a good guy......or that his richly endowed foundation is run by good guys either. Slogans are usually bullshit.

Plant your garden. Weed your garden. Love your partner and your chosen family. Get plenty of sleep and try not to worry about shit you have no control over.. Life can be incredibly rewarding even in the worst of times.

I take a Zen approach to it.  I'm going to call my Book "Zen and the Art of Collapse Maintenance".  ;D

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 06:24:24 PM »

Maybe the sharks know something, but standing here I'm neither able to believe in the purpose I have devoted myself to nor to deny and ignore it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lo0E0qOZOHY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lo0E0qOZOHY</a>
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 06:29:58 PM »

This is some good advice. I planted some butternut squash today so I am following it :) I would add to never stop learning. It's cliche but it is true...I don't learn to 'level up' or compete to be the 'smartest', I do it simply because it makes the world so much more beautiful, at least to me. I'm knee deep in the fundamentals of electricity right now and it's so neat thinking that all around me electrical forces are at work. From the little electron zipping around the nucleus of an atom to lightning strikes destroying entire trees, or welders firing billions of electrons through two pieces of metal to make them become one. It's all so darn neat. I'm digressing though. I'm gonna write your stuff down Eddie it'll be my slogan(s). Plant your damn garden. Weed it too while you're at it. Sleep well. Love those close to you. Remember what's within your control and what isn't. And try to understand just a little bit more about the world than you did yesterday.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 06:37:41 PM »
I'm knee deep in the fundamentals of electricity right now and it's so neat thinking that all around me electrical forces are at work.

Don't forget to study Maxwell's Equations.  Did you take Calculus?

RE
Save As Many As You Can