AuthorTopic: Official EV Thread  (Read 30983 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Official EV Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2013, 10:25:59 AM »
Interesting side question...how do we pay for road maintenance when there's no fuel tax revenue?

Tax is about 50 cents a gallon now. Will we raise that to subsidize electric vehicles even further?

Well that's easy in Pennsylvania... every year we have to get our car inspected.  Part of the inspection is reading the odometer reading.  It would be simple enough to add a mileage surcharge based on the difference from the previous year. If you start off easy, say $2 per 1000 miles, or better yet have it based on the vehicle's weight, and couple it with a slight reduction in the gas tax, it should go through without much problem.

Quite frankly, the only real problem I have with that is that it won't go to the roads the car is driven on.  At least with the gas tax, it is collected within one tankful's range of where it is driven, collecting the mileage surcharge yearly will give no indication where the driving is being done.

The solution I absolutely hate is putting a special tax on electric vehicles to make up for the lost gas tax revenue.  I think the road maintenance fee should apply to all vehicles that use the roads and should be proportionate to the amount they use them.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
JD, forgive me for being a cynic, but the most likely thing to happen is simply that the fuel tax will be raised to cover the shortfall in revenue. What you're proposing is sensible, but that's not generally the way things work.

If the fuel tax is raised to make up for lost revenue from electric vehicles, then the gas and diesel  burners will be subsidizing the owners of electric vehicles more than they already are... which is considerable already.

Right now is a great time to go electric. $7500 tax credit (equals a 25K tax deduction for me.) Then I power my vehicle with electricity produced by coal and pay no fuel tax. That...and a Volt costs maybe 70K to produce and Chevy will sell one for maybe 45K. Hell of a deal, for wealthy people.

I like electric cars...support the change...but it has created some interesting inequities that need to be mentioned, that's all.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
Interesting side question...how do we pay for road maintenance when there's no fuel tax revenue?

Well, they will hit people up for a tax on their electric usage bill. Most people DO NOT get their electricity from PV panels YET. That will take another decade.

When people ARE getting most of their juice from the sun, they'll just go to the old annual inspection odometer reading trick. Politicians are quite skilled at regressive taxation that hits the poor proportionately more than the rich. When the masses are using EVs, they will be taxed. Count on it.

Right now a lot of crooked mechanics that made a little money off those OBDS codes from emission control problems are trying to figure out some equivalent cash cow on electric motors.

MECHANIC: Hey buddy, your brushes need replacing.

EV OWNER: Uh, that motor is brushless...

MECHANIC: Harrumph! Well. your battery needs new hardware. Those retainers look a little rusty...

I hate car inspections.  :emthdown::angry5:
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Tesla profits are pouring in and Fossil Fuel LAKEY HIT PIECES TOO!
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 02:37:37 PM »
Hypocrisy from the WSJ at it''s fossil fuel worshipping best!

They are COMPLAINING about "all those taxes" we pay to "keep Tesla afloat". NOT ONE WORD is said about the MASSIVE tax load we-the-people have paid to support fossil fuel corporations AND the big three car manufacturers in the USA for OVER 50 YEARS! WTF!!? ???

Tesla Isn't Standing on Its Own Yet (WSJ) :evil4:  :evil5: :evil6:
Todd Foley of the American Council On Renewable Energy (Letters, June 5) ignores the gist of the Journal's editorial critique of Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) +3.34% ("The Other Government Motors," May 24) and encourages us all to celebrate Tesla's early repayment of its DOE loan. Mr. Foley fails to refute the inconvenient truth that Tesla's revenues and profits involved a healthy dose of income redistribution from federal and state taxpayers and from rival car makers and their customers. So those of us who pay taxes and buy non-Tesla vehicles provided a loan to Tesla and then, in effect, gave Tesla the money to repay us—with interest.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324634304578537442972032024.html?mod=wsj_streaming_stream

The BULLSHIT above is so thick you would drown with hip boots on! The WSJ just can't seem to remember the UNhealthy dose of income redistribution from federal and state taxpayers that the oil oligarchy CONTINUES TO SADDLE US WITH. The IRONY AND HYPOCRISY is Breathtaking! :o

So, boys and girls, WHY the hit piece NOW from the WSJ big oil lakeys?  :icon_scratch:

Uh, could THIS have something to do with FOSSIL FUEL DRAWERS IN A BUNCH?  :icon_mrgreen:
I THINK SO!

Tesla Motors PT Raised to $118.00 at Robert W. Baird (TSLA) (UtahPeopleSpost) :pile:

Investment analysts at Robert W. Baird lifted their price objective on shares of Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) from $70.00 to $118.00 in a note issued to investors on Wednesday, AnalystRatings.Net reports. The firm currently has an “outperform” rating on the stock. Robert W. Baird’s price objective indicates a potential upside of 20.74% from the company’s current price. A number of other firms have also recently commented on TSLA. Analysts at TheStreet reiterated a “buy” rating on shares of Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) in a research note to investors on Wednesday, June 5th.
Separately, analysts at Bank of America reiterated an “underperform” rating on shares of Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ:TSLA) in a research note to investors on Monday, May 20th. :evil4:

Read more at http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/tesla-motors-inc-tsla-news-raised-price-target-inconvenient-truth-a-scared-nissan-motor-co-ltd-adr-nsany-169429/#XKLg8cqljK2hHBJE.99

Notice Bank of "America" is the only nasty, negative naysayer. Telling, isn't it?    Still don't get it? Bank of "America" has ALWAYS been about the oil oligarchy empire business. It's a PARASITE on the American taxpayer. It's an INSOLVENT bank that doesn't know (or care) JACK SHIT about making an honest dollar! It's a ZOMBIE BANK!  :evil7: Is that clear enough?  ;)

From Barrons, another lackey for the oil oligarchy. :LolLolLolLol:
Clever FUCKS aren't they?

The above HIT PIECE PROPAGANDA cartoon is more proof that the oil oligarchy is AFRAID OF TESLA!

The REALITY is Tesla's cars are the template for all successful EVS NOW AND IN THE FUTURE. :icon_sunny:

Fasten your critical thinking seat belt!  :icon_mrgreen: The negative propaganda shit storm :argue: is about to start HOT AND HEAVY.  :whip: Expect a hit piece from Tyler Durden TOO!  :evil4: ICE worshippers are FRANTIC about the EV THREAT in general and TESLA, the LEADER of the pack,  in particular.:angry4: :hammer:

Do you want your children breathing toxic fumes or not?  :sunny:
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
The Cops are going EV bikes because they are quiet (and sneaky)
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cizoadXoE6E#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cizoadXoE6E#&fs=1</a>

That means, for you HOG lovers, that like glass pipes and making a hell of a racket, the cops WILL crack down on the noisy motorcycle SOON because THEY don't have them anymore!  :icon_mrgreen:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/fleet/police/?album=police-videos
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Kandi Technologies is on a ROLL!
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2013, 03:09:54 PM »

ANOTHER KNDI POP! UP 24% TODAY! Tyler Durden, eat your heart out!  :icon_mrgreen:

Tyler Durden at lunch TODAY!

Kandi Technologies (KNDI) Discusses Pure Electric Vehicles and Charging Facilities

June 17, 2013

By:Ashley Downs

Kandi Technologies (NASDAQ:KNDI) announced today it began construction of its first pure electric vehicle (EV) smart vertical parking and charging facility in Gudang Technology Park earlier this month. Guadang Technology Park is located in Xihu District and the charging facility is part of Kandi Technologies’ five year goal of establishing up to 100,000 self-serving rental EVs throughout Hangzhou.

This first facility is expected to be finished early next month. The company’s project plan calls for over 30 parking and charging facilities to be built by the end of the year in Hangzhou City. Between 5,000 and 10,000 pure EVs will be deployed in the city within a year from the launch of the charging facilities.

Full Story here:

http://www.tradethenewsroom.com/kandi-technologies-kndi-discusses-pure-electric-vehicles-and-charging-facilities-1932

There you have it: PROOF that sometimes they BUY the NEWS instead of the RUMOR. Will they SELL the NEWS tomorrow? Maybe, but not to the tune of 24%. Just check the volume. This spike is real. Betting against EVs is a BAD MISTAKE.  :icon_mrgreen:KNDI STOCK AVERAGE VOLUME=1,777,000     TODAY'S VOLUME=11,327,953

Prosser RV Sales & Rentals

6146 S. Howell Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53207 (866) 820-7243)

The Kandi EV is now being sold in the USA. This extremely low priced car is available in convertible as well as covered top models.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gy3e2sxEMUo#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gy3e2sxEMUo#&fs=1</a>
2010 KD-08e (Convertible w/o enclosure) Introductory priced at $7,995 without "Weather Kit".

Models, Prices & options here:

http://www.prosserrv.com/electric-vehicles.html

Golden Oxen & Eddie: This is the slickest street legal golf cart :icon_mrgreen: you can ever get! You'll be the envy of the other golphers! With this baby you don't have to have Odd Job carry your clubs from the Rolls to the golf cart; just drive onto the course with your beer and clubs on board!  :icon_mrgreen:

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
EV bike PERFORMANCE are UNAFFECTED by altitude
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 10:28:32 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p5eG3Ugtyag#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p5eG3Ugtyag#&fs=1</a>
A fellow Geezer takes an EV bike (the ZERO) up to 8,500 feet above sea level.

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Hey Tyler Durden, Coda is BA-A-ACK! LOL!
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »
Bankrupt Electric Vehicle Maker Coda Becomes Energy Storage Firm

Jeff Postelwait, Associate Editor, Electric Light & Power

June 25, 2013

Coda Holdings, which formerly made electric vehicles under the name Coda Automotive, sold its battery energy storage technology to a consortium of investors to form Coda Energy, which will design and build utility-scale energy storage solutions. Coda declared bankruptcy in May 2013.

Full story here

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2013/06/bankrupt-electric-vehicle-maker-coda-becomes-energy-storage-firm

SNIPPET for TYLER DURDEN to try to do a hit piece on:

According to Lux Research, the global energy storage market will grow nine-fold to $10.4 billion by 2017. NavigantResearch predicts the ancillary services market for energy storage will surpass $3.8 billion by 2023. Several factors contribute to this expected growth including the rapid emergence of grid-scale and distributed intermittent energy sources such as wind and solar power.

As anyone that can ADD and SUBTRACT KNOWS, when there are ENOUGH BATTERIES out there, the word INTERMITTENT will no longer apply to renewables.
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Tesla Motors Conquers North Carolina
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »
Tesla Motors Conquers North Carolina

June 30, 2013 Nathan

Tesla Motors, as a pioneer in the electric car space, has to fight numerous battles and overcome numerous hurdles that won’t be in the way of electric cars or electric car companies a few years down the road. It’s not winning every one, but it’s good to see that it has more or less won the latest in North Carolina.

Tesla Motors has won yet another legal victory in its fight to sell directly to consumers and bypass the outdated auto-dealership sales model — the North Carolina House of Representatives just scrapped a bill put forward by the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association that would have banned Tesla from selling its universally lauded electric vehicles within the state.

Image Credit: Tesla

For a bit of background, the North Carolina Automobile Dealers Association (NCADA) had used its political ties within the Senate to push for the passing of a bill which would have banned Tesla from selling its vehicles directly to consumers within North Carolina — the argument for them not being allowed to sell within the state simply being that it was “not fair” for them to sell directly to consumers rather than through them, the car dealerships.

That’s a bit rich coming from a business so notorious for cheating people…. :icon_mrgreen:

The North Carolina House of Representatives seems to agree. As of now, the bill is completely dead. Notably, both Governor Pat McCrory and House Speaker Thom Tillis recently went for test drives in Tesla’s vehicles — no doubt something that was quite effective.  

Full Story Here:
http://cleantechnica.com/2013/06/30/tesla-motors-conquers-north-carolina/#pL5XdLcWQbOsz976.99

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Bellevue goes all out for EV Love
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f9TmeMaREVQ#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f9TmeMaREVQ#&fs=1</a>

Published on Mar 22, 2013 

With charging stations in Bellevue and all along the West Coast, electric vehicle drivers can now travel the I-5 corridor from Canada to Mexico without needing a drop of gasoline.
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Ford C-MAX Energi Review
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »

Ford C-MAX Energi Review              
July 10, 2013 Zachary Shahan

Nick Chambers of Gas2 has posted a detailed review over there of the 2013 Ford C-Max Energi (plugin-hybrid electric vehicle) he recently bought. Read the full review on Gas2, or check out the snippets I’ve pulled out of it and quoted, below.

In a nutshell, Nick described the C-Max Energi as “[very] fun, functional, satisfying, futuristic and economical.” Here are more details (subheadings added or tweaked):

[/b]Not Using Gas[/b]

Ford has recently been hit with complaints of rigging the EPA fuel economy test to return results that are much higher than average drivers are finding in practice. And while the current state of affairs for the accuracy of EPA fuel economy ratings and the concurrent gaming of the tests by automakers is a bigger issue in general, with the C-Max Energi I find such arguments to be almost pointless.

I haven’t used more than a drop of gas in that car in 10 weeks. Even so, if I ever needed to drive over the mountains and go 800 miles on a whim I could do it using gas.

The EPA has certified the C-Max Energi at 21 miles of all-electric battery range before it switches over to hybrid mode where it’s supposed to return 43 mpg. The only experience I’ve had with using gas was on that trip back from the dealership over the mountains in the snowstorm, and that resulted in a 36 mpg average AFTER the battery was drained. Take that for what it’s worth.

But as I said, with the Energi the fuel economy hardly matters. Although the EPA says it will return 21 miles of all-electric range, I’ve found it comes closer to 24 or 25. That’s up and down hills and at speeds of between 25 and 50 mph. I’ve been able charge during the day from a regular 120 volt outlet, so the car always has more than enough stored electricity to get us around to where we need to go without using gas.

I was recently shocked when I had to fill up a regular gas car a few days ago and saw that in that six weeks gas had gone from $3.50 per gallon to almost $4, then immediately was elated that I was shocked at that realization.

Super Useful App… but Sometimes Slow

The available MyFordMobile smartphone app has some rough edges and can sometimes be very slow (some days even failing to be able to reach the server), however, with that said, I love this app. Not only does it allow me to monitor charging status and set up alerts for things like accidental unplugging or tripped circuits, it also will locate my car on map using GPS and lets me start it remotely or lock and unlock it. Seriously, I could be halfway around the world and if my wife called and said she’d locked her keys in the car I could unlock is with press of a fake smartphone button.

Drawbacks of the Ford C-Max Energi?

In terms of functionality, the battery does take up a significant portion of the trunk, but even so we can fit our 45 pound dog in there no problem and the hatchback microvan crossover thing greatly helps to minimize the loss of space. In any event, it is the car’s biggest drawback, so I encourage you to take old fido to the dealership and see if he’ll fit in before you take the plunge.

Other niggling annoyances exist. For instance, I wish the car would somehow remind you when that you park the car you should plug it in if you can. Although it’s become a habit, there are some times that I’m hurried or distracted and I’ve forgotten to plug the car in. A simple chime or combination of audible and visual indicators would be an easy fix.

Also, my kids’ booster seats partially cover up the buckles in the rear so waiting for them to get themselves buckled sometimes turns into an unnecessary problem—which, at the end of long school day, can sometimes feel like insurmountable frustration to them (and, consequently, their parents). I also wish the state of charge of the battery was displayed with more granularity (e.g. 82%), however all we get is a rather non-specific bar graph display with which you can guess in 10% increments.

First True Love

Even with these drawbacks, to be honest, this is the first car I’ve truly loved. Aside from it
being satisfying to drive for all the intellectual reasons you might expect, it’s surprisingly peppy, well-balanced, and grippy. It’s also cute, in that not-too-cute-for-your-typical-guy kind of way. The seats are comfortable and incredibly adjustable—everybody from a 120 pound 5’4″ pixie to a 6’6″ 300 pound giant could make this work for them. That’s actually a rare accomplishment in today’s cars.

In fact, I’m so smitten with this vehicle that it may be the car that finally made me a car guy. I know I write about cars and such, but really I’ve always felt mostly like a tech writer writing about the technology IN the cars and the cars themselves were an appliance to me—a way to get from point A to point B. Yes, I’ve always been into cars, but for me it was about the technology of the future. Now an average schmuck like me can walk into any car dealership in the country and buy the future. Not just one future, but a growing selection of multiple futures to choose from. It’s not just for the cover of Popular Mechanics anymore.

The C-Max Energi may not be a sexy thing, but the pleasure I get from driving around on electrons made from local dams at the equivalent of 15 cents per gallon gas and supporting local jobs is certainly equivalent to someone who really gets off on taking their ’57 Chevy to the levee or some shit.

So stop pumping terrorism into your car and, if at all possible, buy a plug in vehicle. The Ford C-Max Energi may be just the car to help you take the plunge.

Sounds good to me. :emthup:  :icon_sunny:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/07/10/ford-c-max-energi-review/#tAm2Jxz2WyPcDGuz.99
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
One Year With My Chevy Volt
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »
One Year With My Chevy Volt

July 12, 2013 Guest Contributor

By Douglas Elbinger, Energy Policy Analyst, GreenLancer

Let me tell you about my Chevy Volt, now that I’ve been driving it for one year.

I remember back in 2011 when the Volt was first announced. I admired the boldness of GM to bring out a range-extended plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) in the midst of such economic uncertainty. In accord with the automotive reviews at the time, I thought the Volt was too expensive.

My previous automotive experience has been with Audi. I’ve had five different Audi’s over the last fifteen years. Before that, I drove Oldsmobile. One of the reasons I got a Volt last year is that the Chevy dealer offered me so much more for my trade-in than other dealers, I thought I’d better sign a deal before they changed their mind. The Volt was the only car on the lot that intrigued me. It turns out they have very affordable three-year lease plans that have improved considerably in the last year. I recommend a two-year lease because if you upgrade, I’m sure the 2016 Volt will be much improved in terms of electric cruising range and performance. I like to think of my Volt as the Model-T of electric cars.

Not having driven an American car in nearly 15 years, I took a test drive and was immediately impressed. The very knowledgeable and patient sales person taught me how to drive it and understand all the dashboard displays that are slightly different from a gas powered vehicle.

Included in the deal is the installation of a 240V in-home charging station. The retail value for the home charging units is $490 (plus installation costs). The home charging unit is a 240-volt (Level II) charger, and, according to General Motors, can replenish the Volt’s batteries in about four hours. Consumer Reports has advised buyers to budget up to $2,000, which I believe to be true, as many older homes, including mine, may need a substantial electrical upgrade since the US National Electrical Code requires that the charger have its own dedicated 220-volt, 30-amp circuit. The whole process took about two months before the inspector approved the installation and turned on the power. In the meantime, I used the 120V charger that came with the car.

What people really want to know is… does it save you money?

That being asked, I’ll just bring the bottom line right to the top. Yes and no, but mostly no. You can purchase a car with equal power, performance, and style for much less money. Other than that… the Volt has many redeeming performance characteristics, technology, and value-added features that far exceed saving a few bucks on gas or car payments. Let me summarize based on real-life data. I have a daily roundtrip commute of approximately 44 miles, from Telegraph & Maple in Bloomfield Twp, to the David Stott building in downtown Detroit. On a full charge, when the temperature is above say 50 degrees F (battery range is less in cold weather… you are also running the heater and fan which takes up almost all your electric charge), I get an electric range of 36 miles per charge that covers 80% of my daily commute. At 24 miles per gallon, approximately $4/gal based on my actual results, I save about $40 per month. I should mention here that the gas tank only holds 11 gallons and takes premium. With a full tank and full charge I have a driving range of about 330 miles. If I don’t do any long-distance driving, I only need to fill up once a month. In the first couple months of ownership, I almost forgot how to use a gas pump.

Edmunds.com, the price premium paid for the Volt, after discounting the $7,500 US federal tax credit, takes a long time for consumers to recover in fuel savings, often longer than the normal ownership time period. Edmunds compared the Volt (priced at $31,712) with the same-size gasoline-powered Chevrolet Cruze (priced at $19,656) and found that the payback period for the plug-in hybrid is 15 years for gasoline prices at $3 per gallon, 12 years at $4 per gallon, and drops to 9 years with gasoline prices at $5 per gallon.] The EPA rating considers a conversion factor of 33.7 kWh of electricity being the energy equivalent of a gallon of gasoline. With special utility rates (I have a separate meter installed with my charger) for charging during off-peak hours, the cost of electricity is almost negligible. My mileage results vary greatly (on the down side) from the Chevy Volt data published in Wikipedia, but I’m still pretty impressed.

The next thing everyone wants to know is how does it perform?

For me, the true test of any car is how it handles in the worst weather… and we had plenty of that last winter. Compared to the Audi, I felt completely safe driving in white-out blizzards, freezing rain, and icy roads. It has the most responsive braking and steering system, comparable to any luxury car you may be driving. The Chevrolet Volt is packed with standard safety features that include 4-wheel anti-lock brakes with traction control; Stabili-Trak electronic stability control system with brake assist; tire-pressure monitoring system; and 8 total airbags: dual-stage frontal, side-impact and knee for driver and front passenger, and roof-rail side-impact for front and rear outboard seating positions, with a passenger sensing system. A safety cage, built of ultra high-strength steel, surrounds the passenger compartment to keep the space intact in the event of a crash. Crush zones framing the trunk and the engine crumple to absorb crash energy before it reaches occupants.

One of my most pleasant discoveries is how quiet this car is. It is so quiet I often leave the radio and telephone off to just drive and relax in peace and quiet. The other discovery is great ‘pick-up’.

You don’t have to worry about having enough power or speed to pass other cars driving in heavy aggressive traffic.

Talk about connectivity!

The Bluetooth phone feature allows you to keep both hands on the wheel while using the voice-activated phone. I got to like this because the car is so quiet you can talk in a normal voice. On-star comes standard. I used it once when I was locked out and it worked. Satellite radio is a nice add-on feature and the sound system is just a little better than OK. You will be emailed monthly performance reports, such details as the car monitor of tire pressure and when you need an oil change… which isn’t very often. The Volt features an OnStar Mobile application for owners to access vehicle information without being in or near the car.

This smartphone application features the ability to check fuel efficiency as well as the vehicle’s current electric range. It also helps monitor the charging, giving owners key information about the current charge level and the amount of time it will take until it is fully charged. The application also is able to control features such as locking/unlocking doors, and acts as a remote starter. A three-year OnStar Directions and Connections service was bundled into the 2012 Volt’s base price.

I could ramble on more about what this car is and isn’t, but on the whole, I very glad I got this automobile. When I first started driving the Volt, I didn’t see many on the road. Just the other day, I saw three of them in one parking lot! Electric cars will really take off when two things happen: 1. The “energy density” of the batteries improves to the point that you can get a range of over 300 miles or more, and 2. The price of gasoline goes above $5/gallon. Then you’ll see a lot more electric cars on the road.

One last anecdote. Late on a freezing winter night, I pulled into a gas station outside Ann Arbor.

A young man at the gas pump next to me smiled and said, “I thought you didn’t need to fill those up?”

I replied, “…that’s why I do it at night.”

delbinger@greenlancer.com
Energy Policy Analyst, Greenlancer Energy Inc.
Greenlancer is a renewable energy engineering and consulting firm in Detroit – http://www.greenlancer.com

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/07/12/one-year-with-my-chevy-volt/#x1pIc3DCO1Jxk1pT.99

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Think you can’t afford an EV? Think again
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »
Think you can’t afford an EV? Think again        

By Claire Thompson

It’s easy to see the electric car as a symbol of the kind of offbeat elitism often associated with eco-conscious living — the rich man’s veggie oil-powered VW bus, if you will. But that could change as the industry starts going Model T on EVs, making them more affordable for the masses. Automakers are now offering an array of discount leases and perks that, when combined with government tax incentives, make EV ownership accessible for a much broader segment of the population.

Owning an electric vehicle automatically slashes drivers’ fuel costs by as much as 80 percent. But it’s the up-front cash that presents a barrier to most prospective buyers, not to mention the lack of widespread charging infrastructure. Of course, growing ranks of EV drivers would spur the construction of more charging stations and attract still more electric converts. But with so few choices on the market, none of them wildly affordable, it’s hard to get that cycle started.

Until now. The Wall Street Journal reports:

Bronson Beisel, 46, says he was looking last fall for an alternative to driving his gas-guzzling Ford Expedition sport utility around suburban Atlanta, when he saw a discounted lease offer for an all-electric Nissan Leaf. With $1,000 down, Mr. Beisel says he got a two-year lease for total out-of-pocket payments of $7,009, a deal that reflects a $7,500 federal tax credit.
As a resident of Georgia, Mr. Beisel is also eligible for a $5,000 subsidy from the state government. Now, he says, his out-of-pocket costs for 24 months in the Leaf are just over $2,000. Factor in the $200 a month he reckons he isn’t paying for gasoline to fill up his hulking SUV, and Mr. Beisel says “suddenly the car puts $2,000 in my pocket.”

Full Story Here: :emthup: :icon_mrgreen:

http://grist.org/news/think-you-cant-afford-an-ev-think-again
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
An EV bimmer hits the car market (beemer = BMW motorcycle, not the car)
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »
BMW’s i3 electric car earns gushing praise 

By John Upton

The BMW i3 electric sedan, officially unveiled this week, is getting rave reviews.
The car sells for as little as $41,350   :P :( — not bad for a Bimmer, and that’s before the $7,500 federal EV rebate. Those with range anxiety can drop a few grand more for a small backup gas-burning engine (or just take advantage of BMW’s nifty SUV-sharing offer).

Full story here:

http://grist.org/news/bmws-i3-electric-car-earns-gushing-praise
Faith,

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »
You have to respect a man who knows the difference between a Bimmer and a Beemer.  Beemers being the preferred conveyance of old curmudgeons like me.

My Beemer, est mpg of 49-58 mpg, circa 1970. No federal subsidy available at this time, but great fun to ride naked.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.