AuthorTopic: Official EV Thread  (Read 32281 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: Official EV Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »

My Beemer, est mpg of 49-58 mpg, circa 1970. No federal subsidy available at this time, but great fun to ride naked.

Back in the day when I had a Honda 125cc (no, I never did ride it naked. LOL!), I would ride a girl on the back. Girls don't go around naked either (unless they are in Texas, I guess  :icon_mrgreen:). BUT, girls have a bad habit of having nearly naked feet (i.e. flimsy sandals). I had a girl burn a foot on the muffler once.  :emthdown: :(

So remember Eddie, no riders when you do that naked thing.   ;) :icon_mrgreen:
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »
I haven't ridden it naked, yet, just thought about it. I did ride a few miles the other day in shorts and sandals with no brain bucket. I FELT naked. I have plenty of tailpipe scars and burned a few girls that way too.  The Texas Harley crowd is more apt to be seen riding around in their birthday suits at those big rallies they have. I stay away from those, myself.

Thanks for the EV update. I am still planning to get a Volt or a plug-in Prius or some other car along those lines, tentatively in about a year. I see Teslas all the fuckin' time here now. I can't believe people spend that kind f money for a car. How do they afford that and a good tractor? That's what I want to know.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the EV update. I am still planning to get a Volt or a plug-in Prius or some other car along those lines, tentatively in about a year.

You're welcome.  :emthup:

My problem with the EV is my wife and I don't drive more than 1,000 to 2,000 miles A YEAR! The whole deal with an EV, because gasoline is KEEP GOING UP, is that the more you drive the quicker you staqqrt beating the costs of an ICE car.

Electricity to charge an EV runs at $1.18 and equivalent gallon, according to the latest government data (average for the U.S.A. grid. You've got PV so it might be cheaper than that for you but let's go with $1.18 locked in for a decade.

Ten years at 12,000 miles a year and 23 mpg for an ICE car with $4.00 a gallon gas = $20,870

Ten years at 12,000 miles a year and 65 mpg for an EV with $1.18 a "gallon" gas = $2,179

20,870 - 2,179 = $18,691 = $1,869 a year in savings. Not bad. If you drive 24,000 miles a year, you really start to save big time.

If the cost of gasoline goes up to 6 or 8 bucks a gallon, you are STILL going to be getting your $1.18 equivalent gallon on 65 mpg equivalence (because of the 70% efficiency of the electric motor). It's a no win situation for the gasoline hogs. :emthup: :icon_mrgreen:

But none of that math works if you drive seldom.

A Tesla owner that racks up a lot of mileage could end up paying less for the $80,000 car in ten years than he would with a $40,000 ICE car and not pollute, to boot! ;)

I want a leaf.  :icon_mrgreen:

Faith,

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2013, 09:44:38 AM »
But none of that math works if you drive seldom.

A Tesla owner that racks up a lot of mileage could end up paying less for the $80,000 car in ten years than he would with a $40,000 ICE car and not pollute, to boot! ;)

I want a leaf.  :icon_mrgreen:

Agelbert,

How does the calculus work out if the electricity to run said Tesla or leaf is generated by nuclear or fracking gas?

WHD

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2013, 09:01:03 PM »
NY Giving Vouchers for Commercial EVs, Hybrids and CNG
08/13/2013 

Clean Edge News

New York has announced a $19 million New York Truck Voucher Incentive Program to encourage the purchase of battery-electric commercial trucks as well as other energy-efficient transportation, including hybrid and compressed natural gas trucks.

The truck voucher program will include two voucher funds: $9 million for battery-electric truck vouchers offered in 30 counties around the state that did not meet federal clean air standards, primarily downstate New York, the Capital Region and Western New York; and a $10 million alternative fuels voucher fund for New York City, which also includes compressed natural gas, hybrid-electric vehicles and retrofitting diesel engines with emission control devices.

The New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) is administering the program, with funding from the federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality (CMAQ) program and in partnership with the New York State Department of Transportation and the New York City Department of Transportation (NYC DOT).

The program is directed toward class 3 to 8 trucks, which include large pick-ups, delivery vans, box trucks, buses, tractor trailers, garbage trucks, and construction vehicles such as cement and dump trucks. Under the terms of the program, NYSERDA approved vehicle manufacturers, dealers and retrofit providers which will receive the vouchers, allowing them to pass on the full incentive in a lower vehicle price to buyers.

The electric truck vouchers will be available beginning today with vouchers accepted for purchases of eligible vehicles meeting program guidelines. The alternative fuels voucher and diesel retrofit funding for NYC will be rolled out in late August and September, respectively.

The announcement complements the state's Charge NY program, which looks to stimulate demand for EVs and investments in infrastructure, and includes funding from NYSERDA, the New York Power Authority and tax credits. Governor Cuomo has directed the Public Service Commission (PSC) to review existing policies and regulations to ensure the evolution of the electric vehicle market in New York.

The transportation sector is responsible for three-fourths of petroleum consumption in this country, and 40 percent of greenhouse gas emissions in New York, so reducing emissions through alternative-fueled vehicles and improving the performance of diesel trucks can have a significant impact. NYSERDA estimates that this program could encourage the purchase or retrofit of up to 1,000 low-emission trucks in areas of the state with the poorest air quality.

“These investments have already helped dozens of companies operate greener fleets on New York City’s streets,” said NYC DOT Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan. “With this new infusion we can now go the extra mile and convert an additional 500 trucks to cleaner technology so they can keep New York moving in a way that enhances the economy and the health of all New Yorkers.”

Program details:

$9 million is now available in vouchers up to $60,000 that can be used by companies, non-profits and state and local government entities toward the purchase of electric trucks and buses. This incentive is available in 30 counties around the state which do not meet the National Ambient Air Quality Standards and is for class 3-8 battery-electric trucks only. NYSERDA approved electric equipment manufacturers participating in the Truck VIP include AMP Trucks Inc., Boulder Electric Vehicle, Electric Vehicles International and Smith Electric Vehicles.

$6 million will be available in vouchers up to $40,000 for the purchase or lease of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG), hybrid-electric or battery-electric trucks in New York City. This incentive also includes repowering a diesel truck with CNG. The funding is open to all private and non-profit fleets based in and operating 70 percent of the time in New York City, and will be available starting in August. A list of participating manufacturers will be available at the launch of the program.

$4 million to cover up to 80 percent of the purchase and installation of emission reduction equipment on medium- and heavy-duty diesel trucks such as diesel particulate filters. The funding is open to all private and non-profit fleets based in and operating 70 percent in New York City, and will be available starting in September.

CALSTART, a national non-profit organization focused on the growth of the clean transportation technology industry, was competitively selected to assist NYSERDA in managing the voucher program.

http://www.cleanedge.com/Resources/news/NY%20Giving-Vouchers-for-Commercial-EVs-Hybrids-and-CNG
Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2013, 09:10:46 PM »
Agelbert,

How does the calculus work out if the electricity to run said Tesla or leaf is generated by nuclear or fracking gas?

WHD

But that's just the point! Tesla owners are getting their juice mostly from solar panels. All of Musk's charging stations DO NOT use grid power; they are solar powered.

A Leaf owner should get solar panels or arrange to charge it at work from solar panels. Of course the guy that works a night shift could charge it at home during the day with solar panels. But yeah, EVs and solar panels are the proper way to go even if an EV uses less energy than an ICE does for the same distance. W e DO NOT want the grids run off of fossil fuels. We'll get there, but we've got to get there from HERE, not perfection-land.

Faith,

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Look Ma, Wireless EV buses that charge ON THE GO!
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 11:25:18 AM »
Active Wireless Charging In Transit; Remarkable Progress In Korea For Electric Vehicles  :emthup: :icon_mrgreen:

Improvements with the electric transit infrastructure unfold at light speed.   
Active wireless charging in transit with electric vehicles, in this case electric buses, is taking place. Korea has broken through with accelerated wireless power efficiency with the Online Electric Vehicle (OLEV). This technology from the Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) is setting another standard that increases the development of electric vehicles and addresses the (slight) time issue of charging. This breakthrough works for personal or public transportation presently, allowing vehicles to be charged while stationary or while moving.

“This is accomplished by solving technological issues that limit the commercialization of electric vehicles such as price, weight, volume, driving distance, and lack of charging infrastructure,” ResearchSEA writes.

Following the development and operation of commercialized OLEV trams (at an amusement park in Seoul) and shuttle buses (at KAIST campus), respectively, the City of Gumi in South Korea, beginning on August 6th, is providing its citizens with OLEV public transportation services.

Two OLEV buses will run an inner city route between Gumi Train Station and In-dong district, for a total of 24 km roundtrip. The bus will receive 20 kHz and 100 kW (136 horsepower) electricity at an 85% maximum power transmission efficiency rate while maintaining a 17cm air gap between the underbody of the vehicle and the road surface.

WIRELESS electric bus

The Online Electric Vehicle (OLEV), developed by the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST), is an electric vehicle that can be charged while stationary or driving, thus removing the need to stop at a charging station. (Credit: Image courtesy of ResearchSEA)

This is inspiring progress even to the ones who have unearthed the possibility. As Dong-Ho Cho, a professor of electrical engineering and the director of the Center for Wireless Power Transfer Technology Business Development at KAIST, said: “It’s quite remarkable that we succeeded with the OLEV project so that buses are offering public transportation services to passengers. This is certainly a turning point for OLEV to become more commercialized and widely accepted for mass transportation in our daily living.”

Will we be seeing more of these adaptable accelerated modes of transportation? We will in Korea, at least:

OLEV receives power wirelessly through the application of the “Shaped Magnetic Field in Resonance (SMFIR)” technology. SMFIR is a new technology introduced by KAIST that enables electric vehicles to transfer electricity wirelessly from the road surface while moving. Power comes from the electrical cables buried under the surface of the road, creating magnetic fields.

There is a receiving device installed on the underbody of the OLEV that converts these fields into electricity. The length of power strips installed under the road is generally 5%-15% of the entire road, requiring only a few sections of the road to be rebuilt with the embedded cables.
OLEV has a small battery (one-third of the size of the battery equipped with a regular electric car).

The vehicle complies with the international electromagnetic fields (EMF) standards of 62.5 mG, within the margin of safety level necessary for human health. The road has a smart function as well, to distinguish OLEV buses from regular cars — the segment technology is employed to control the power supply by switching on the power strip when OLEV buses pass along, but switching it off for other vehicles, thereby preventing EMF exposure and standby power consumption.

As of today, the SMFIR technology supplies 60 kHz and 180 kW of power remotely to transport vehicles at a stable, constant rate.

The first two OLEV buses are operational this year. At the end of the year, Gumi City plans to start rolling out more, aiming to have ten on the ground and running by 2015.

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/08/14/active-wireless-charging-in-transit-remarkable-progress-in-korea/#PmTEm4SvXR5F4Yra.99
Faith,