AuthorTopic: Name Calling Is Not A Coherent Argument.  (Read 504 times)

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Name Calling Is Not A Coherent Argument.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2020, 02:07:49 AM »
I will not lock this thread at the moment.  If Monsta, Surly or K-Dog want to do that, they can.

Diners go Walkabout all the time.  Eddie went Walkabout for several months once.  So did Surly.  I have put myself in the Cooler a few times when I was getting too pissed off by what was ongoing inside the Diner.

If enough people do not buy what you are selling, it can be very frustrating.  Most Diners do not buy what Eddie sells, they won't eat at his Table. I think at the moment only LD will drink the Eddie Kool Aid.

I hope he returns, I like crossing swords with him.  lol.  But this is his choice to make.  If he can't take the Heat, it's time to get out of the Kitchen.
RE

I am not likely to lock it either, but I am sick unto death of writing and thinking about it. Composing a substantial reply to a post, as I did with one from LD yesterday, is a substantial mental effort (nearly the equivalent of writing an article for the blog) that forecloses on doing anything else to participate. I just find it amazing to think that he'd think we'd change our spots after this many years of participation.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 04:47:54 AM »
I will not lock this thread at the moment.  If Monsta, Surly or K-Dog want to do that, they can.

Diners go Walkabout all the time.  Eddie went Walkabout for several months once.  So did Surly.  I have put myself in the Cooler a few times when I was getting too pissed off by what was ongoing inside the Diner.

If enough people do not buy what you are selling, it can be very frustrating.  Most Diners do not buy what Eddie sells, they won't eat at his Table. I think at the moment only LD will drink the Eddie Kool Aid.

I hope he returns, I like crossing swords with him.  lol.  But this is his choice to make.  If he can't take the Heat, it's time to get out of the Kitchen.
RE

I am not likely to lock it either, but I am sick unto death of writing and thinking about it. Composing a substantial reply to a post, as I did with one from LD yesterday, is a substantial mental effort (nearly the equivalent of writing an article for the blog) that forecloses on doing anything else to participate. I just find it amazing to think that he'd think we'd change our spots after this many years of participation.

You are not the only one sick and tired of it.  The whole Race thing has utterly dominated forum discussion for weeks now.  It has even pushed COVID discussion to the back burner.  NOBODY talks about energy issues anymore.

It also is highly inflammatory stuff, and polarizing.  There are 2 sides to this debate and there is no middle ground or compromise either side will make.  So the Napalm keeps escalating in a feedback loop.  It's very difficult to deal with as a moderator.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 06:34:28 AM »
The BLM / race issues / policing issues stirred up a lot of interesting things not directly related to all that, like the topic of Jerod Peterson's leap into a mass audience as a public intellectual who actually knew nothing whatsoever about the topics he became famous for talking about (postmodernism, Marxism, critical theory...). I for one was glad to have an opportunity to discuss some of that stuff, but it takes time and effort to learn about, and no one here seemed interested in any of it. Which is too bad. It could inform our discussion of collapse issues and topics.

My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2020, 06:38:04 AM »

RE

You are not the only one sick and tired of it.  The whole Race thing has utterly dominated forum discussion for weeks now.  It has even pushed COVID discussion to the back burner.  NOBODY talks about energy issues anymore.

It also is highly inflammatory stuff, and polarizing.  There are 2 sides to this debate and there is no middle ground or compromise either side will make.  So the Napalm keeps escalating in a feedback loop.  It's very difficult to deal with as a moderator.

RE

"Nobody talks about energy issues anymore."

I'll find an appropriate thread to say something about energy issues.  It's an area of great interest of mine -- the area of overlap between energy issues, climate issues, economics..., that is.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2020, 09:10:27 AM »

RE

RE

I completely agree. But what are we to do with shit like this? Ignore it?

And I'M the racist.

Count me among the people struck by the iconography and ideology of these rich white St. Louis lawyers who seem to live in a fortress/repurposed public library wielding guns because the very existence of Black people exercising the First Amendment right of the people peaceably to assemble to petition the govt for a redress of grievances makes them feel threatened, but not threatened enough to hide instead of mustering a direct and outrageous threat of their own. The contrast between the neoclassical elegance--hello grand urn!-- that money can buy and their crassly obscene demonstration of fear and disregard for rights and for life--hello pink polo shirt and semiautomatic! hello casually pointed little lady gun!--is something.
But also their display of obliviousness: this is what they will be known for the rest of their lives, and as with Central Park Amy and anti-chalk Pacific Heights Lisa, it will eclipse everything else they do. I suppose as is usual now they will try to explain away waving guns at protestors. The other question is whether they will be charged with the crimes they are committing with these acts. Clearly they think they're above the laws they both have degrees in.....
And yes, if this was in a feature film I'd think it was a bit heavyhanded and obvious; it's in the USA for real last night. I suppose if you want to live in a K-Mart Versailles--hello topiary hedges!-- you might well have Louis XVI ancien regime fears.

--Rebecca Solnit
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 09:18:19 AM »

I completely agree. But what are we to do with shit like this? Ignore it?

No, there are plenty of Tools available to mess with it.   :icon_sunny:

You can Lock threads.  You can change a Member status and limit posting privileges.  You can send a member to the Cooler.  etc, etc, etc, there are more ways than I can count to fuck with somebody if you are Admin.  Power of God on a Forum.

You just have to be willing to actually DO it, and then take the HEAT from the "Free Speech" advocates for being a Nazi.  lol.

RE
Save As Many As You Can