AuthorTopic: The Collapstead Intentional Community  (Read 2892 times)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Collapstead Intentional Community
« on: June 30, 2020, 09:39:47 AM »
  This year was the first year I couldn't put the brush hog on the tractor. An injury to my left calf is still very vulnerable to re injury, so I can't heave the tractor tires back and forth to hook up the connections. ( 1/4 inch stuff ) A lot of stuff is starting to show increased signs of excelling entropy. Along with this brings a whole lot of change. I will post pictures of stories about our progressive collapse.
  No before and after stuff.... you get raw and realistic!  :icon_mrgreen:
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Collapstead Intentional Community
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 10:44:23 AM »
It looks like the longer stories will go here. I will be posting pics occasionally to the Media picture/video/song Album of the same name.
NECROCAPITALISM at http://openmind693.wordpress.com ‘Rolling thunder. Shock. A noble one in fear and dread sets things in order and is watchful.’ I-Ching (Hex.51)

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Collapstead IC - The Old Garage is Collapsing.?
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 09:47:28 AM »
Our Callapstead is right next to Old Hwy 40 , that was a main road for west to east travel in Mid Missouri. It is an old gas station/garage and a old tavern building. (We remodeled the house for four/five people to live.) You can view from the two pictures in attachments. We have moved about 3/4's of stuff out of it so we could begin working on it. As you can see the tin roofing sheets are coming loose and coming off. ( The roof rafters are rotting in places and sagging ). Ceiling joists have broken free of the wall supports. We have two huge beams holding up two of them. The side in the picture at the second from the front window opening, the floor has cracked and is sagging that whole length of the crack ( about 15ft.) ( the foundation is a 3/4 inch concrete slab ).
  I am too feeble to climb up on rotting rafters, and putting tin sheets on that roof...have in the past and it is a fairly steep incline.   Anybody have any ideas on how to proceed either making it stable again, or just tearing the whole thing down?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:05:18 AM by knarf »

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Collapstead IC - pic of inside the Garage
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 09:49:15 AM »
Here is the inside of the garage.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 10:05:46 AM by knarf »

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 11:33:13 AM »
Our Callapstead is right next to Old Hwy 40 , that was a main road for west to east travel in Mid Missouri. It is an old gas station/garage and a old tavern building. (We remodeled the house for four/five people to live.) You can view from the two pictures in attachments. We have moved about 3/4's of stuff out of it so we could begin working on it. As you can see the tin roofing sheets are coming loose and coming off. ( The roof rafters are rotting in places and sagging ). Ceiling joists have broken free of the wall supports. We have two huge beams holding up two of them. The side in the picture at the second from the front window opening, the floor has cracked and is sagging that whole length of the crack ( about 15ft.) ( the foundation is a 3/4 inch concrete slab ).
  I am too feeble to climb up on rotting rafters, and putting tin sheets on that roof...have in the past and it is a fairly steep incline.   Anybody have any ideas on how to proceed either making it stable again, or just tearing the whole thing down?

I have a similar problem with the sheet metal roofs on my storage buildings. The old nails don't hold and the wind can easily blow off pieces of roofing.

I have had pretty good luck with getting the tin to stay on by replacing the nails with long roofing screws (the new style ones you just shoot in with a driver)  instead...but if the wood is completely rotten that won't work.

How bad do you need the building? It will probably take some money to fix it, no matter who does it. I am told the old tin can be valuable for resale, if you can market it. Maybe eBay?  I'm sure somebody would at least demolish the building and clean up their mess in exchange for the salvage value of the materials.

Maybe I could drive up and figure out how bad it is and make some suggestions.. Do you have a good ladder?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 11:35:43 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »
Question:  Does the foundation support the structure, or is a pole barn with posts in the ground?

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 02:57:24 PM »

I have a similar problem with the sheet metal roofs on my storage buildings. The old nails don't hold and the wind can easily blow off pieces of roofing.

I have had pretty good luck with getting the tin to stay on by replacing the nails with long roofing screws (the new style ones you just shoot in with a driver)  instead...but if the wood is completely rotten that won't work.

How bad do you need the building? It will probably take some money to fix it, no matter who does it. I am told the old tin can be valuable for resale, if you can market it. Maybe eBay?  I'm sure somebody would at least demolish the building and clean up their mess in exchange for the salvage value of the materials.

Maybe I could drive up and figure out how bad it is and make some suggestions.. Do you have a good ladder?

Yea, we have a good ladder, but I had to back the tractor with the square bucket attachment close to the building, raise the bucket, put the ladder in and then crawl up the slippery tin to fix a few about 5 years ago. Didn't hold them long, they have blown down now. We had an "old building restorer" in a texting and picture exchange for about 4 months. It didn't work out. I asked Misa if she had looked in to selling it on the market or E-Bay...she thought the idea was interesting.

Love to meet you but we are in lock-down.   

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 03:20:30 PM »
Question:  Does the foundation support the structure, or is a pole barn with posts in the ground?

They pored a huge cement rectangle cement pad first. Then they built a wall structure a few inches out from the pad, i don't know, but doubt they are all in cement,  maybe a layer of gravel. Don't know if the Ridge structures are in cement ( I ain't checkin outside near the building. You can all the weeds and brush I would have to trudge trough, and it IS tick season BIG TIME here this year, that and rabbits, and....pretty sure vertical 2x4's are on 16" center, about 12' long. There are four ridge rafters. They built 12' headers in the wall/s to support them.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 04:50:59 PM »
So..that sounds like the cracked foundation doesn't support the roof....which is good.  You could ignore that, if so.

I understand you're in lockdown. I wouldn't want to violate social distancing and possibly expose you to the virus anyway. I'm a high risk essential worker..and I have very little contact with anyone outside of work at the moment. I'm a masked man.

It does look like a cool old building that would be nice to save. I'd guess you could probably use some come-alongs and pull the structure back into square, more or less, and re-attach loose joists to the headers with joist hangers, maybe....or some kind of iron braces you could screw into place.

Bad rafters?  I'd see if new ones could be sistered in place and screwed into the old ones if they aren't rotten. Maybe use some of my miracle epoxy. It depends on how bad they are. In my buildings the tin roofs just baked the rafters.

The roof tin is probably near the end stage of things....it goes first, before the walls. But iif you can tack it down with screws, you might get 20 more years out of it.

Dangerous work, and I'm not young anymore either..but I'm still game.   :)

Maybe NF has some ideas, He's a professional.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 04:55:22 PM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 05:03:16 PM »
I'm a masked man.

Me too, and I have the BEST Masks you can get or make DIY. Better than N95.  :icon_sunny:

I also am pretty certain I had COVID and fought it off.  What a fucking nightmare of 2 weeks of shit!  lol.  So I am probably immune now.

All that being said, I wouldn't travel anywhere to fix a barn, even if I knew how to do that which I do not.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 07:29:07 PM »
This seems like a good time o reach out and make or strengthen connections. Do you have an association with other Buddhists? I'm sure they would be willing to pitch in and help. If not, reach out on some other message board. What young guy doesn't want to drop into conversation they charitably help out bhuddist monks, when trying to make an impression on the girls. Offer a meal and bartering of WHY.. garden produce and teaching meditation. You might end up with new members. Hopefully you can brace it all up, replace the lost sheets and repaint the rest. It looks like you have a lot of trees, if its too many, maybe you can use the wood

Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2020, 03:24:18 AM »
I also am pretty certain I had COVID and fought it off.  What a fucking nightmare of 2 weeks of shit!  lol.  So I am probably immune now.

Whether you did or not, which is unproven, I wouldn't bet the farm on immunity.

Studies Report Rapid Loss of COVID-19 Antibodies
The results, while preliminary, suggest that survivors of SARS-CoV-2 infection may be susceptible to reinfection within weeks or months.

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

Such "immunity" might last as long as that for the common cold. People are getting re-infected.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2020, 06:20:29 AM »

They pored a huge cement rectangle cement pad first. Then they built a wall structure a few inches out from the pad, i don't know, but doubt they are all in cement,  maybe a layer of gravel. Don't know if the Ridge structures are in cement ( I ain't checkin outside near the building. You can all the weeds and brush I would have to trudge trough, and it IS tick season BIG TIME here this year, that and rabbits, and....pretty sure vertical 2x4's are on 16" center, about 12' long. There are four ridge rafters. They built 12' headers in the wall/s to support them.
restoring is very very expensive. If the goal is to keep it going just longer then you need it maybe not. Eddie touched on the big ones but in order of operations...
1 measure width on building at ground level then at top of walls. Find the worst spot and use that as your center for bringing in the walls.
2 install strongbacks outside at the top of the walls for anchoring the come alongside. I usually use 3 pieces nailed together to catch the top plates and the studs with eye bolts in them piecing the walls into the inside and anchored into the strongbakc outside. The top plates will be warped so you cannot anchor on those they might pop.
2 work the wall as close to plumb as possible over time maybe a few weeks, maybe a month.
3 install proper ceiling joists every 2 or 3 rafters nailed to rafters and hurricane strapped into the wall system.
4 refasten the tin completely using over length screws with rubber washers in the flat valleys not the ridges (that is a new recommendation due to the superior water proofing of the rubber washers) Usually the top inch of an old rafter goes punky so the long screws allow you to hit fresh hopefully solid meat...
First thoughts based on the few pictures you posted...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 07:14:40 AM »
This seems like a good time o reach out and make or strengthen connections. Do you have an association with other Buddhists? I'm sure they would be willing to pitch in and help. If not, reach out on some other message board. What young guy doesn't want to drop into conversation they charitably help out bhuddist monks, when trying to make an impression on the girls. Offer a meal and bartering of WHY.. garden produce and teaching meditation. You might end up with new members. Hopefully you can brace it all up, replace the lost sheets and repaint the rest. It looks like you have a lot of trees, if its too many, maybe you can use the wood

We really have closed down because of COVID. So getting help from friends is an option, i will seriously consider this. Thanks.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 07:19:47 AM »

restoring is very very expensive. If the goal is to keep it going just longer then you need it maybe not. Eddie touched on the big ones but in order of operations...
1 measure width on building at ground level then at top of walls. Find the worst spot and use that as your center for bringing in the walls.
2 install strongbacks outside at the top of the walls for anchoring the come alongside. I usually use 3 pieces nailed together to catch the top plates and the studs with eye bolts in them piecing the walls into the inside and anchored into the strongbakc outside. The top plates will be warped so you cannot anchor on those they might pop.
2 work the wall as close to plumb as possible over time maybe a few weeks, maybe a month.
3 install proper ceiling joists every 2 or 3 rafters nailed to rafters and hurricane strapped into the wall system.
4 refasten the tin completely using over length screws with rubber washers in the flat valleys not the ridges (that is a new recommendation due to the superior water proofing of the rubber washers) Usually the top inch of an old rafter goes punky so the long screws allow you to hit fresh hopefully solid meat...
First thoughts based on the few pictures you posted...

Thanks NF. If we decide to FIX it this will be very useful info. There is a lot to consider....it is a legit "Church".