AuthorTopic: Collapse Food Preservation: From Cucumber to Pickle  (Read 209 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Collapse Food Preservation: From Cucumber to Pickle
« on: August 02, 2020, 07:06:15 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the microphones & cameras of Irv Mills & RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner  August 2, 2020

Discuss this video at the Doomsteading Table inside the Diner

This week I am back together with my Hoser counterpart in Prepping in the Great White North of Canada, Irv Mills.  This is the firrst of 3 vids, this one on Pickling.  The topics covered in the other 2 vids will remain a clsely guarded secret until I actually publish them for the following 2 Collapse Cafe Sunday Brunch Specials. 🙂  A little Mystery & Anticipation always makes opening the Present more fun!

Actually, the three vids were all recorded in one looonnng session, but I know most viewers of Prep Vids don't have a long enough attention span, so I cut the vid into 3 reasonable size chunks.  It also divided up quite nicely into 3 separate topics.

In this first vid, Irv explains the process first of grwoing the cucmbers, then the processing of those Cukes into Pickles.  It's quite a complete tutorial on Pickle Making from the very beginning of the process of grwoing the cukes out of the ground to bottling them for long term preservation in the absence of electricity and refrigertion,

I am trying to get Irv to make me some Garlic-Dill Half Sour Pickles that are as good (or better!) than my favorite commercially purchased pickle from my NY Shity years, Batampte Half Sours.  Made in a Pickle Factorry in Brooklyn, I have only rarely found them in the Food Superstores since I left that sewer more than a Quarrter Century ago,  I have never found them here on the Last Great Frontier of Alaska.  I'll give them a plug though in case you live in a neighborhood thatt carries them

Fight me: Ba-Tampte Half Sour pickles are the best grocery store pickles

Save As Many As You Can