AuthorTopic: The Mystery of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald  (Read 802 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Mystery of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
« on: October 14, 2020, 09:26:02 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wmv4Krzbnms" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Wmv4Krzbnms</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/K6DUFPNILvM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/K6DUFPNILvM</a>

Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Mystery of the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 06:57:12 AM »
Gordon Lightfoot is the favorite son of Orillia Ontario. Daughter #1 was born there as it was the nearest hospital with a maternity ward and the Midwife had priviledges there. Having driven around Lake superior going across the country I can assure you that fucker is huge... It is technically Ontario but a world to itself.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:45:45 AM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »
A fine example of what a rogue wave (in this case really two or more really big waves) can do to a loaded cargo carrier. Just physics in action.

When that song came out I was in high school. I thought it was about some ancient wreck at first ....took me a while to learn it had just happened right before he wrote the song.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 03:16:54 PM »
I thought it was about something that happened over a hundred years ago. Anyway, after watching that, the glaring omission was inspecting the reef that was only a mile from where it went down. Why did they not examine it??? Something to do with insurance clauses I bet. They probably don't need to pay out for storm or rogue wave, but do for running aground. I find it hugely coincidental that the reef was only a mile away but that mile distance is used as explanation for not hitting it. I don't see why the ship couldn't make it another mile with damage before the waves hit and finished it. Probably one made everything slide, since all the water getting in helps things slide. That would put one end or one side even lower in the water and the second wave then sunk it. 

All that stuff about the ship breaking it's own records year after year suggests 3 things.. they were loading more and more into it and giving the engines full throttle, but also they were making more and more money, which would explain going ahead with the voyage instead of waiting for the storm to pass, especially if a factory was waiting on the product and a days downtime costs huge sums.

What months are the lakes frozen? They might have been trying to get as much cargo across before it freezes.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:23:37 PM by Phil Rumpole »
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 07:52:48 PM »
Too bad they did not make it to Whitefish Bay.

going ahead with the voyage instead of waiting for the storm to pass

Sometimes shit just happens.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 07:57:30 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 03:35:35 AM »
]

Sometimes shit just happens.

What is remarkable to me is that shit does not happen MORE often running ships that size with only 29 crew on board.  Out on the open sea, this is practically a weekly event.

“every year, on average, more than two dozen large ships sink, or otherwise go missing, taking their crews along with them.”. In a prescient comment, she says, “imagine the headlines if even a single 747 slipped off the map with all its passengers and was never heard from again”.

RE
Save As Many As You Can