AuthorTopic: Amputee Doomer  (Read 2171 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Amputee Doomer
« on: November 08, 2020, 02:40:59 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logo

Off the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner  November 8, 2020

Discuss this article at the Medicine & Health Table inside the Diner

As I am sure you have noticed if you are a Diner regular, my Blog and Vlog production has dropped off to near zero over the last few weeks.  This because I have been on an accelerating downhill health curve and finally had to bite the bullet, going the Full Monte with my right leg, which got hit first and hardest by Cellulitis.  3 weeks in hospital followed by 3 weeks in an extended care facility (torture facility) with daily very painful wound care failed to make any real progress, and shortly after returning home I began to experience extreme pain once again.  My electric wheel chair that I depended on to keep some semblance of normality and independence also crapped out on me about a week after I got home and I got stuck in my new hospital bed just like in the Torture Facility, except I had even less help at home.

So I finally called it quits and called 911 to send an ambulance and bring me back to hospital, pretty certain they would admit me and that the only solution was an amputation.  My hope was for a Below the Knee (BTK) saw job, but after an examination by the surgeon and his review of my records, he told me there really wasn't enough healthy tissue to safely cover the remaining limb and I would end up just having to return and do it all over again with an Above the Knee (ATK) cut.  Despite the fact this procedure ends witha much more difficult prosthetic, I agreed with his assessment of the situation and told him to go ahead and cut off the whole fucking thing.

I had the Wound Care dude shoot a couple of pics this week in the middle of a dressing change, so now you get your first look at an Amputee Doomer, with the Staples currently holding the skin together over a sewn together hamstring and quadracep muscle.  Normally right now this is currently covered all the time by lots of gauze and elastic bandage material.

The whole healing process for this is very long, before I can even be fitted for a prosthetic, and at the moment it is unclear how it is all going to get paid for, so this story has many more chapters to go, but most of them will not get written.  Even writing this short synopsis was quite difficult for me, and working up the energy to write it this week was a  trial, so don't expect too much coming off my keyboard for the forseeable future.

I have handed off primary responsibility for Admining the Diner Blog to Irv Mills and the Diner Forum is primarily being Moderated by K-Dog.  I am still Admin of our YouTube Channel at CollapseCafe.com, although like writing for the Blog I am unlikely to produce too much material for the forseeable future.  Just have to see how that goes.

I can't write this post without at least a passing reference to the recently completed POTUS Election, where Uncle Joe Biden has nominally been declared the victor over Donalditry Trumpovetsky, which is good although Uncle Joe won't be able to stop the trajectory of collapse plus he is nearly as corrupt as El Trumpo.  The main problem though is the race and the results were sufficiently close that die-hard Trumpovites will always claim the Dems cheated.  All sorts of interesting questions are out there, such as will he get prosecuted for tax fraud after leaving office in January?  It also leaves open the possibility he will run again in 2024 and spend the next 4 years crticizing the Dems and Uncle Joe, who are bound to screw up.

Anyhow, at least for now he won't get to ride in the new 747 Air Force 1 due for delivery I think in 2021. 🙂

Amputee

Sing to the tune of "Refugee" by Tom Petty (parody lyrics coming eventually)

Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Amputee Doomer
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 09:02:37 AM »
You already look better. Now.....if the other damn leg doesn’t decide to go bad too maybe you can get back to something like a normal life. Sure hope so.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 10:02:01 AM »
You already look better. Now.....if the other damn leg doesn’t decide to go bad too maybe you can get back to something like a normal life. Sure hope so.

I already have similar pain sensations in my left leg similar to those I had in my right one 6 months ago.  The same lack of blood circulation exists allowing the cellulitis bugs to colonize and multiply.  Currently in hospital I get IV antibiotics every day which holds it back, but as soon as I go home I am sure it will worsen fairly rapidly.  My bet would be I keep the whole leg no more than 2 years.  I just hope to keep the next amputation to BTK.

I am still looking into Assisted Suicide in Oregon.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 10:43:46 AM »

You are now the captain Ahab of doom.  Follow the white ass of doom around the Horn, around the Norway maelstrom, and around perdition's flames.  Don't quit.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 02:14:12 PM »

You are now the captain Ahab of doom.  Follow the white ass of doom around the Horn, around the Norway maelstrom, and around perdition's flames.  Don't quit.

I will see if I can get a prosthesis designed like a pegleg.  That would be cool.   ;D

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline edpell

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 02:51:28 PM »
In the town next door, Kingston NY, there is a highway dedicated to peg leg Bates. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 05:40:50 AM by edpell »

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 11:08:25 AM »
Sorry to hear about your lose. I just hope you get a good prosthetic leg and your life can go to something resembling normal.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 04:38:18 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUdwEN8o6TU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AUdwEN8o6TU</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 05:32:53 AM »
Even if it isn't a cheery update it's still good to have one. Hopefully you'll be able to get home to your apartment somehow.
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2020, 02:05:35 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-hS5FXNF1k" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M-hS5FXNF1k</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 01:22:37 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ehvXE0WUotI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ehvXE0WUotI</a>

Sing in the face of Doom.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:28:27 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.