AuthorTopic: The Philosophy of Jordan Peterson  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Ashvin

• Troll
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
The Philosophy of Jordan Peterson
« on: November 19, 2020, 07:54:02 AM »
Quote from: Phil
They don't hate that, look at Russia all orthodox and patriarchal after perestroika and glasnost. Look at Confucian china where single mothers are  still outlaws.
Cultural Marxism is only to demoralize the west and make it ripe for military defeat. Tell me what policies the Republicans are proposing other than having a white male president AND vice president, to overturn any of the policies that destroyed the family and created the huge herd of stigmatized losers looking for a father figure in Alex jones, Joe Rogan and even Jordan Peterson, with trump as their saviour. None. At. All. Controlled. Opposition. On. Social. Conservatism.

Since you keep bringing up Peterson and clearly have no idea what he thinks or what his underlying philosophy is about, I thought you could use some pointers in the right direction (reposted from another forum):

I was re-visiting some of Peterson's biblical lectures recently, and I decided to listen to "The Phenomenology of the Divine". This lecture encompasses almost every idea and thinker that is key to his philosophical outlook. Some of the key people, ideas and stories discussed, in no particular order (because I can't remember it), are as follows:

- The Disappearance of God by Richard Friedman
"In his bold and illuminating new work, The Disappearance Of God: A Divine Mystery, Richard Friedman probes a chain of mysteries that concern the presence or absence of God. Why does the God who is known through miracles and direct interaction at the beginning of the Bible gradually become hidden, leaving humans on their own by the Bible's end/ Written over so many centuries, how is it possible that the Bible depicts this diminishing visible presence of God (and the growing-up of humankind) so consistently? Friedman brilliantly explores the place of this phenomenon in the formation of Judaism and of Christianity. In the Bible, the hiding of the face of God is a literary and theological development, yet in the twentieth century it is a spiritual crisis, and Friedman aims to supply solutions to this quandary. Moving through rich and provocative examinations of world literature, history, theology, mysticism, and physics, The Disappearance Of God is as readable and exciting as a good detective story, with a conclusion that offers real hope in a time of spiritual longing"

- The Oedipal myth and the reasons why Jung's conception of it was superior to Freud's - for Jung, it was a central myth pointing to the archetype of the Hero's Journey.
"The play Oedipus the King by Sophocles has multiple examples of collective unconscious archetypes from the theories of Carl G. Jung. In general Jung's theories say that there are archetypes that define the world, its people, and why people participate or commit certain activities. Jung explains that these archetypes are harbored in the collective unconscious of every person's mind. The archetype of the hero is one of them. The middle of Oedipus the King shows the character Oedipus as the Jungian archetypal hero and sacrificial scapegoat."

- Crumb (documentary about underground cartoonist Robert Crumb, which Peterson calls "the best documentary ever made")

- John Milton and Paradise Lost - Satan is conceptualized as a hyper-rational, hyper-intellectual totalizing spirit.
"The mind is its own place, and in itself, Can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven."

-Aldous Huxley, the "Doors of Perception" and his experiences on mescaline.

-Modern research on psychedelics, specifically experiments with psilocybin and its effects on terminal cancer patients with concomitant anxiety and depression.

"A third round of studies initiated more than 40 years after the Good Friday Experiment was conducted at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine under the direction of psychopharmacologist Roland R. Griffiths. In two papers, published in 2006 and 2008, Griffiths empirically demonstrated that psilocybin could regularly result in mystical experiences with lasting benefits for participants. These double-blind studies found that: psilocybin was safe in structured, clinical settings; generated one of the five most meaningful experiences for most participants; and produced improvements in mood and quality of life that lasted more than one year (up to 14 months) after the sessions"

-Dostoevsky and his mystical experiences which resulted in epileptic seizures, but also produced some of the best literature ever written.

-Nietzsche, his mystical experiences and his overall genius and prophetic ability.

-More on Jung, highly influenced by Nietzsche (Peterson claims equally as much as Freud). Discusses several of his key works and ideas - exposure therapy as the key to overcoming fears.
"Beware of unearned wisdom" (Jung on psychedelic use)

-Erich Neumann, Jung's "greatest student", who wrote the The Origins and History of Consciousness.
"As though in confirmation of this, the present work opens at the very place where I unwittingly made landfall on the new continent long ago, namely the realm of matriarchal symbolism and, as a conceptual frame work for his discoveries, the author uses a symbol whose significance first dawned on me in my recent writings on the psychology of alchemy: the uroboros. Upon this foundation he has succeeded in constructing a unique history of the evolution of consciousness, and at the same time in representing the body of myths as the phenomenology of this same evolution. In this way he arrives at conclusions and insights which are among the most important ever to be reached in this field" (Jung's foreword)

-Q&A is also really good - one person brings up an amazing quote by Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI), which I cannot remember or locate right now. Peterson talks some about Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.