AuthorTopic: Reference books for the doomstead library  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Reference books for the doomstead library
« on: December 19, 2020, 07:32:08 AM »
I like post apocalyptic fiction and alternate history Novels. One of the problems I have with them is that the main characters always seem to have all the required knowledge they require to rebuild their world... My memory is pretty good and I would say my base knowledge of the physical parts of our society are better then most but I could not do it...
This link showed up in my feed and I thought it was cute. A book of all the required technology to rebuild. Looks entertaining.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thebookthebook/the-book-0?ref=677kgs&utm_source=jellop&ja=z2aimakj&utm_term=063.ja&utm_content=Civilization_book-CB05&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2Pyy_0jKA5DFPnhu837ljahZn0vc0HV-G3JcfYTSLOa7n5nCqeDyzjOqc&utm_campaign=1608391509528.sqy0
Cheers,  NF
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 04:01:21 PM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Something fun for a change
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
Damn. That's a book I can picture on my bookshelf in my homestead that I'd pull down once in a while to remind me to be curious. It looks like it'd outlast me if it's taken care of well. $100 is nothing to sneeze at but for what you're getting I think that's well worth it. Looks like quite a few people find it interesting too...way past the fundraising goal which is great to see. Neat find!
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 02:09:12 PM »
Damn. That's a book I can picture on my bookshelf in my homestead that I'd pull down once in a while to remind me to be curious. It looks like it'd outlast me if it's taken care of well. $100 is nothing to sneeze at but for what you're getting I think that's well worth it. Looks like quite a few people find it interesting too...way past the fundraising goal which is great to see. Neat find!
ah to build a homestead bookshelf again. So much reference material has moved online. What a great thread topic. Favorite homestead/doomstead reference books...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
  • You bloody galah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 02:24:32 PM »
Hands down my favourite book.
Found it cheap at a junk shop. In poor coondition and all the info in it is readily available on the web. I just like old books.

JOW

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
Seems a little optimistic as far as being a practical text...but itís nice to see somebody try.

I am trying to take the back wheel off an old Harley project I bought at this moment . Two bolts.....one comes off...and then the axle just spins. Canít get the other one to back out, even though I got it to break loose. No way to get a back-up on the axle, itís got a spacer washer that spins too.

Maddening.

This is the kid of thing that some people know how to do....because they learned it from somebody or they figured it out by trial and error.

Me? Iím Youtube bound. Thank God for Google.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
Seems a little optimistic as far as being a practical text...but itís nice to see somebody try.

I am trying to take the back wheel off an old Harley project I bought at this moment . Two bolts.....one comes off...and then the axle just spins. Canít get the other one to back out, even though I got it to break loose. No way to get a back-up on the axle, itís got a spacer washer that spins too.

Maddening.

This is the kid of thing that some people know how to do....because they learned it from somebody or they figured it out by trial and error.

does it not have a very thin nut close to the hub on the inside of the frame, quite large?

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 03:33:21 PM »
You take the nut off the left side and leave the other one on and drive it out with a drift. Took me five minutes, once I saw it.

I am thinking about books for this thread.

You know the Nearingís books are on my list....the Last Whole Earth Catalog, too....my first how-to book for sorting out many things.....I have a book about steam engines....but I doubt I could build one, even if I had a complete machine shop.

All the earth ship books...
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 03:56:50 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 04:00:24 PM by Nearingsfault »

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 05:15:08 PM »

Maddening.

Utube is the new Gregory's manual, but there's a lot of useless crap as well. Worst are vids with loud background music and filming from too far away to see exactly how to do it. I wanted to adjust tappets on my modern DOHC and thats all I found. I asked mechanic and he said feeler gauge goes between the cam and the valve and so very tight 0.1mm,  fraction of gap compared to a pushrod type.  None of the utubes showed this clearly and I would never have guessed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 05:23:40 PM by Phil Rumpole »
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
  • You bloody galah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 05:24:21 PM »
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/51058
Motorcycle, Solo (Harley-Davidson Model WLA) by United States. War Department

Lots of free books to download as PDF's if you want an electronic bookshelf.

JOW

Offline Cam

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 06:48:46 PM »
So many books, where to start?
Reader digest back to basics...
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/76998.Reader_s_Digest_Back_to_Basics
John seymour self sufficient life
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-self-sufficient-life-and/9781465477354-item.html?s_campaign=goo-DSA_Books&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6JdAVBlBfGOQyuJ_S359WjJQPO_goHS-TS2o3NY3QMjR1ghtuput-kaAvzLEALw_wcB

I have no idea how I haven't come across the Reader's Digest Back to Basics book yet...that looks fantastic. And rather cheap used so I think I'll scoop one of those up. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks of.
As this world disintegrates, do what you can to help build what comes next.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »
So many books, where to start?
Reader digest back to basics...
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/76998.Reader_s_Digest_Back_to_Basics
John seymour self sufficient life
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-self-sufficient-life-and/9781465477354-item.html?s_campaign=goo-DSA_Books&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5vb-BRCRARIsAJBKc6JdAVBlBfGOQyuJ_S359WjJQPO_goHS-TS2o3NY3QMjR1ghtuput-kaAvzLEALw_wcB

I have no idea how I haven't come across the Reader's Digest Back to Basics book yet...that looks fantastic. And rather cheap used so I think I'll scoop one of those up. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks of.
surf around cam there is a pdf version of it online. I have it somewhere.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Reference books for the doomstead library
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2020, 04:07:32 PM »
When we packed up the old house I discarded boxes and boxes of books. This one made the keep pile. Mine is an older edition...
https://www.amazon.ca/Owner-Built-Homestead-Barbara-Kern/dp/1626545456