AuthorTopic: DD Podcasts  (Read 13202 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: No Time Like The Present
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2017, 05:17:17 AM »
No Time Like The Present

Originally published at http://goingupslope.com/2017/06/no-time-like-the-present/

BY JOHN D. WHEELER · PUBLISHED JUNE 7, 2017 · UPDATED JUNE 7, 2017

“All men are created equal.”  Some people think that is a fine sentiment; some people think that is a bald-faced lie.  But in one sense, it is an absolute, immutable law of nature: in the sense that, for each and every single day, each and every single one of us gets exactly 24 hours — 1440 minutes — 88640 seconds to spend.  Now if I were to add “exactly how we wished”, that would be a lie, but unless we are imprisoned or enslaved, we generally do have some say over how we spend those minutes.  So the question becomes, how do we live on 24 hours a day?  Because no matter how rich we are, we can’t buy ourselves another second personally, the best we can to is give someone money to spend their time doing what we want them to do.  And no matter how poor we are, we all still get the same allotment of minutes every day, even if some of our options of what to do with them are limited.

One thing we can do to make the most of our time is to learn things while we are waiting for others.  Audiobooks and podcasts can be a great option, as MP3 players are small enough to carry with you everywhere and can be purchased very inexpensively.  And if we have a smartphone, we don’t even need a separate piece of equipment.  Many podcasts are available for free; audiobooks can get expensive, but one way you can get them for free is if the author has been dead for a century.  Arnold Bennett wrote a book to answer the question of How to Live on 24 hours a Day and the folks at Librivox have made it available for free.  The language may be a bit stilted to our modern ears, but the knowledge contained therein still has relevance to today’s world.

More sleep is good.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: No Time Like The Present
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
More sleep is good.

Only up to a certain point.... having a power nap is a great idea, but not if you're driving  :o

From the research I've been doing for the RAIN initiative, it looks like beyond 20 minutes naps are not that helpful.  What is more important is getting sleep before midnight: that's when melatonin is produced.  It's said 1 hour of sleep before midnight is worth 2 hours afterward.  Also, sleeping soundly in the beginning of the night, then resting quietly but awake in the middle, and falling back asleep for the end of the night appears to be a more natural pattern.

I believe I have the links for the articles discussing the above stored on my FB page but I don't have time to look them up right now.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re:No Time Like The Present
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2017, 12:45:29 PM »
Oh. I believe you. No need to put up links.

It's just that Monday I spent four hours driving to Dallas, then spent seven hours with my tax accountant (we ate lunch on his desk), and then spent six hours driving back, because I sat in a traffic jam for an hour and then I had to take a detour to feed the pigs on the way home. Last night I hit the sack around eleven, but my ass is still dragging. Sleep seems like a precious commodity right now. I need to go to bed earlier tonight. Bring on the melatonin. Bring on the REM sleep.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re:No Time Like The Present
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »
Oh. I believe you. No need to put up links.

It's just that Monday I spent four hours driving to Dallas, then spent seven hours with my tax accountant (we ate lunch on his desk), and then spent six hours driving back, because I sat in a traffic jam for an hour and then I had to take a detour to feed the pigs on the way home. Last night I hit the sack around eleven, but my ass is still dragging. Sleep seems like a precious commodity right now. I need to go to bed earlier tonight. Bring on the melatonin. Bring on the REM sleep.

What a fun day!  Sounds like having a bad itch.  At least it was only one day though.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN