AuthorTopic: The Starvin' Diner Cookbook  (Read 1379 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Starvin' Diner Cookbook
« on: June 09, 2013, 05:30:20 AM »

The Starvin' Diner Cookbook by Diner Haute Cuisine Chef RE now UP on the Diner Blog for Sunday Brunch Reading!

Feel free to use this thread also to add all your own Favorite Recipes!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Starvin' Diner Cookbook:Slow Cooker Stews
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:01:19 AM »

Working through all the Food Supplies I bought for the SNAP Card Gourmet Series, I have been making numerous Stews in the Slow Cooker.  Although I have several Slow Cookers in a variety of sizes I bought as Preps over the last few years, I never actually USED them until lately.

The only Slow Cooking I ever did historically speaking was making Turkey Broth after Thanksgiving, when I would take the turkey carcass and all the giblets and all the bones and leftovers from the Useless Eaters plates and throw them all in a big stock pot, which I left on a low flame overnight on the stove.  We didn't have electric slow cookers back in those days.

Anyhow, Slow Cookers are a real JOY, in terms of ease of use and cooking up REALLY delicious stuff from just about ANYTHING.  I am quite certain I could make a delicious Stew in the Slow Cooker out of Squirrels and Chipmunks, long as I have a few spices to add to the mix anyhow.  Skin em, gut em, throw in the pot!  You don't even need to dismember them, because by the time it is done, all the meat falls off the bone anyhow!

Besides whatever the Meat is you pitch in, the other main ingredients are all easy to grow here in Alaska, Potatoes, Carrots,Onions and Garlic.  You can pitch in anything else you happen to have lying around also.  Half rotten tomato?  No problem!  Cut off the black spots and throw it in there!  Throw in some Birch Bark also, plenty of vitamins will extract from it even though the cellulose isn't edible for Homo Sapiens.

Anyhow, while JIT is still functioning here and I have a large selection of Spices in the Preps also, I just sort of willy nilly throw in a little of this, a little of that, everything from Cooking Sherry to Soy Sauce to Hot Sauce to Liptons Onion Soup Mix to Jack Daniels Tennessee Whisky, whatever I think might be nice.  The proportions are never the same from stew to stew, and it always tastes a little different, but it is invariably DELICIOUS!  Once I start eating it I can't stop, and keep going back to the slow cooker for a little more once everything has softened up after a few hours.

So far, I have just used the small 1.5 Quart one I got On Sale for, GET THIS...$5 at Walmart!  Half the price of a pack of smokes!  LOL.

This is kind of dumb, because for about the same energy consumption, I could do the same thing in the 4 quart model, and only have to cook up once instead of 3 times, although still have to Microwave to heat it up later.  Another thing about stews is they taste just the same, maybe BETTER two days later when you Nuke them.

You don't even need to do this electric, you can slow cook with Solar or with coals in the ground also.  This is how clambakes are done and pig roasts also, at the July 4th party I went to in Glacier Falls they had a whole pig buried overnight to slow cook that way.

Now, this is not to say that Slow Cooking is the end all and be all, I still like to have a a Steak Flame Broiled on the BBQ too, and still do up the eggs on a skillet, but slow cooking is a great way to make use of foods that in other preparations might be somewhat unappetizing.

I heartily recommend all Preppers experiment with some Slow Cook Recipes and stew up stuff to eat each week at your leisure.

Bonus, it makes your digs SMELL great too!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Starvin' Diner Cookbook:Slow Cooker Stews
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 03:59:00 AM »

Anyhow, Slow Cookers are a real JOY, in terms of ease of use and cooking up REALLY delicious stuff from just about ANYTHING.  //

This is kind of dumb, because for about the same energy consumption, I could do the same thing in the 4 quart model, and only have to cook up once instead of 3 times, although still have to Microwave to heat it up later.  Another thing about stews is they taste just the same, maybe BETTER two days later when you Nuke them.
RE

Enthusiastically agreed. Did a LOT of slow cooking during my single dad days. It's really hard to go wrong.

And your point about the stews getting better over time is well made. Contrary is a superb soup maker with about a dozen in her repertiore. After a few days the flavors just... improve. Sometimes I think we ought to put the soup away and wait for a week before eating.

As if...
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound