AuthorTopic: The Age of Limits  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
The Age of Limits
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »
Interesting meeting coming up, which I saw on Orlov's site:

The Age of Limits

Dedicated to the pioneering work of Donella Meadows, Jorgen Randers & Dennis Meadows
and their epochal 1972 report "The Limits to Growth."

Conversations on the Collapse of The Global Industrial Model

Friday May 25th thru Monday May 28th, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend at Four Quarters

limits-to-growth-forecast_sml

The original “Limits to Growth Report” (1972 Meadows et al) did not include a time line for the global growth scenarios it examined. With the addition of statistical data for the following 40 years it is now possible “to fit to the curve” and make rough predictions based on observed resource production and consumption patterns, overlaid upon continued population growth.

For 50 years serious thinkers have questioned the assumptions of our global industrial culture and its prospects over the longer term. In recent decades they have succeeded in bringing at least some of the core science into popular discussion, notably petroleum depletion and especially climate change. Through these years proposals have been made outlining the governmental policies that would be necessary to begin “solving” these problems. Sadly, we can now see through the course of events, or rather non-events, that the window of opportunity is closing, if not already closed. We are now confronted not by a problem, but by a predicament; one which has no solution, but only adaptations and mitigation's.

Environmental Degradation and Resource Depletion.
Global Population Growth and Demographics.
Rentier Debt and Growth Based Finance. Global Climate Change.
A world now reaching The Limits of Growth on a Finite Earth.

·In-Depth Conversations With:
John Michael Greer: Scholar and author of more than twenty books on a wide range of subjects, including The Long Descent: A User’s Guide to the End of the Industrial Age, The Ecotechnic Future: Exploring a Post-Peak World, and The Wealth of Nature: Economics As If Survival Mattered.

Carolyn Baker Ph.D.: Professor of history and psychology, psychotherapist and author of Navigating The Coming Chaos: A Handbook For Inner Transition and Sacred Demise: Walking The Spiritual Path of Industrial Civilization’s Collapse.

Dmitry Orlov: Essayist, wry social commentator and author of the acclaimed Reinventing Collapse – The Soviet Experience and American Prospects.

Gail Tverberg: Professional Actuary and Mathematician, global limits analyst and writer.

Thomas Whipple: Retired senior analyst for the CIA and a well known researcher and writer on energy and oil issues, Chief Editor of the Association for the Study of Peak Oil-USA’s flagship publication, Peak Oil News and Review.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: The Age of Limits
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
Did you catch me out in the Comments area Plugging DD?   8)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
No, I missed that... will have to look.

East coast road trip?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 01:03:16 PM »
Pondering on it.  Long way to go though.

Oh, my comments were on Gail Tverberg's Blog, not Dmitri's.

http://ourfiniteworld.com/2012/04/02/age-of-limits-conference/

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »
No Mexican dentists in southwest PA.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »
Yah its a pretty long trip just to go camping witha bunch of Peak Oil Kollapsniks.  However, I thought it might be a way to get DD more recognized.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 08:05:42 AM »
So I'm the only diner going?

:'(

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
After discussing it with my wife, I've decided not to go. As i told RE, the only reason I can come up with to attend is to meet you and those others who might attend. I had hoped my SO would come, so she could hear the speakers. It would have been good for her...but I'm in that position again of taking the horse to water...and I'm tired of doing that. she can drink when she gets thirsty I guess. I would love to meet you and your family. Perhaps there will be another chance.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »
After discussing it with my wife, I've decided not to go. As i told RE, the only reason I can come up with to attend is to meet you and those others who might attend. I had hoped my SO would come, so she could hear the speakers. It would have been good for her...but I'm in that position again of taking the horse to water...and I'm tired of doing that. she can drink when she gets thirsty I guess. I would love to meet you and your family. Perhaps there will be another chance.

Sorry to hear your SO is not ready to face the collapse coming our way.  I'm lucky that the wife and (step) son are on board.  Our daughter is not, she still thinks BAU will continue, so we've had to take a different approach with her.  She wasn't interested in taking the pool house (she converted it to a cute little apartment) off-grid so we'd have a 600 sq foot shelter that was not subject to power cuts.  Not interested.  Rephrased it as, "want to get it on solar so you don't have an electricity bill" - and she immediately bought in.

I will admit, I was looking forward to seeing RE and JMG discuss their differences over a few glasses of scotch around a campfire. 

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
So I'm the only diner going?

:'(

Am still considering it. Not sure yet.