AuthorTopic: Zombie Rehab  (Read 43751 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: GM and LD said
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
Personally I'm sick of this NewSpeak by people calling themselves Libertarians.  The proper term for the people who call people with government jobs 'zombies' is Corporatists.  Maybe I was deluded to begin with, but my understanding was that Libertarianism was an advocate for individual freedoms, something which I strongly believe in.  Now they seem to have been taken over by corporate advocates.  I'm sorry, as far as I'm concerned Big Business = Big Government = Mass Media.  They're all in it together, and they're all against us, and if you support any of them, you're a useful idiot to them.

Indeed. Review the bidding. One of the ironies in the NSA flap is that Snowden is one of 500,000 private employees hired by the government to do their snooping. 500,000 self-made John Galts out there, living large off the government tit.

The truth of the matter is as WHD laid it out, below:
I personally can't tell the difference between the "zombie" who works for gov or the "zombie" who works for corp. In my experience, the average minion is equally unquestioning of TPTB, more often than not making excuses for gross institutional insanity, so as not to have to question their own service to grossly insane, demonic institution, public or private. What is the difference between big bank charging me $800 in fees on $80 of overdrafts, or city gov charging two weeks pay because I dared to try to honor an ancient white pine, to save it from the fire, some zombie neighbor cut down because he couldn't grow grass underneath it? In fact, I'd say the capitalist fucks and their gov counterparts have created a nice little racketeering enterprise, by which city inspector Harold writes me up for whatever, enters it into the bureaucratic system, by which it comes to private contractor. Private contractor gets paid, Harold keeps his job (and maybe drives me out of my house and buys it and destroys everything I've done here?), City gets it's cut to pay it's pensioners with, etc, AS IF I AM SOME KIND OF ATM. Which Harold inspector fuck I saw parked outside my house this morning. Here we go again... Which "zombies" public and private btw are a secret power of the State, often heard of late defending the State, regurgitating something to the effect of "I have nothing to hide." I.E. the State can crush anyone as long as it isn't ME.

Seventy years ago, Smedley Butler wrote "War Is A Racket." Now everything is a racket. Even that Holy of Holies, "Free Enterprise," is a fixed cartel and a racket. If we are employed, we are, in CH Smith's memorable phrase, "Tax donkeys and debt serfs."

Fact of the matter is you can't turn around without bumping into a zombie.

The division is meaningless. It takes a while, but eyes eventually open, and today's zombie is tomorrow's prepping doomer.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »

Fact of the matter is you can't turn around without bumping into a zombie.

The division is meaningless. It takes a while, but eyes eventually open, and today's zombie is tomorrow's prepping doomer.

That's correct...if they get a chance to prep.  Cause until that point they are a zombie.  The first thing a non-zombie does, when they wake up from zombie status, is to start figurin' out WTF they are going to do about it.  That's the difference between us.  A zombie temporarily woken up by whatever means, who buries his/her head back in the sand, is nothing more than an almost rehabed zombie...almost doesn't cut it IMO. 

It's a disease with a cure.  Zombyitis is...just gotta resist cramin' your head back up your ass and deal with the reality that is collapse.  Or don't.  Choice is yours, but if you don't, you will be held responsible for your lack of action.  Regardless of who's to blame.  Nobodies to blame really. We're all people right?  All of us equal according to the tenets of egalitarianism?  Which means we're all responsible for ourselves and what we do and don't do.  If we medicate on fukitol than it's our choice. 

We're all adults whether we're adults or not (which is the problem with my dad's generation...they never grew up and faced the music).  They thought just working hard at whatever job to support the family was all that was required.  Challenging the prevailing acquisitive culture generated by the hologram and dubbed The American Dream was never on their radar...at least not my parents. 

Again, I'm not pointing fingers...just telling the truth as I have experienced it.  So maybe I shouldn't say my parents generation and just say my parents.  Lest I get some Doomer Boomer's feathers all in a fluff.   :laugh: 

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Nope
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 12:01:35 PM »

LD, you are where you are because of certain experiences that WOKE YOU UP. If you hadn't had them you would be quietly living on 50 acres or so right now, making a $100,000 a year or more, and prepping your ass off for when the shit hits the fan while telling all your acquaintances everything is hunky jake (to avoid workplace ostracism or job loss for the sake of your family) and bragging about how your team won last night...

That sounds familiar to you Agelbert.  Am I sensing some regret here perhaps?  The experience that "WOKE ME UP" was when I woke up one day from a mid day siesta...I was 18 at the time...yawning real big, getting up from bed to go eat some cereal, and I get a weird feeling I need to turn around.  So I do so, and what I saw altered my consciousness like the bacteriophage's lytic conversion does to a bacterial cell ;D  What I saw that did that was myself, lying in bed, sound asleep.  When I returned a short while later (and short here is up for interpretation seeing as how your real time  double's time is quite different from your normal interpretation of time) I did not return as the same person. 

Uh, no LD. You had your head firmly up your propagandized patriotic ass when you joined the NAVY.  Your spiritual experience may have STARTED at 18 but that didn't keep you from being SUCKERED by the MATRIX.

As for me, you are damned right I don't like being poor. But my understanding of the MATRIX is not political or simple cause and effect environmental consequences of predatory capitalism. MY journey is a spiritual one that DEFINES the NEXT LIFE as MORE IMPORTANT than THIS ONE.

Once I got in that groove, all the trouble started for me. I learned that, not only did most people not give three shits about the next life, but they were doing exactly the wrong things even if they cared about THIS one.  :icon_scratch:

It just isn't logical, I said to myself. So, I began studying the whys and wherefores of this mess. That's how I discovered the MATRIX and how it works. I found writings of brave Americans (some who died young for some reason...) that identified HOW IT WORKS in our "society". You know the drill.

I take seriously my God's instructions to be a good steward of this garden, regardless of my belief that the next life is far better. That is my common ground with most Doomstead Diners. We want a better planet so we write about what is wrong and what can be done about it. GOOD!

I understand your position perfectly. It's analogous to someone in Germany watching Hitler rise to power and KNOWING that his fine upstanding and friendly neighbors would eventually become a threat to his existence because they would be cowardly lakeys for a fascist government. You label them a priori zombies.

Your claim that we can counter the mainstream pushed definition, now firmly lodged in the brains of most people, is quixotic. Propaganda works because it takes a NEGATIVE TERM and twists it into a POSITIVE ONE of VICE VERSA. Taking a NEGATIVE TERM like ZOMBIE and REDEFINING the negative COHORT will fail because you are still on the same side of the binary. The trick is to make something flip from one side of a binary to the other (good to bad or bad to good) so you can sucker a bunch of twits into working against their own best interests in order for you, the propagandist, to reap more profits and/or power.

Zombie labeling is a CLEAR bifurcation from the environmental catastrophe we are faced with. It is a separate issue.  It's fortress mentality that narrows your choices of future co-survivors helping to make a better world.

But it's more purist, less messy. You like it for reasons of moral clarity.

I'm being a pain in the ass to you because I'm getting into a lot of, from your point of view, useless nuance.   :icon_mrgreen:

You say you are WAY PAST ANGER.

Would you approve of RE putting a poll up to see whether the Doomstead Diners believe you are an angry young man or not?  I'm not saying you don't have valid reasons for being angry; I'm saying pretending you aren't perpetually pissed is fakin' it!

But I'll admit I'm wrong if the poll of our peers says you are NOT angry about the MATRIX driven lakeys that surround you. 

Surly,
Thanks again.  :icon_mrgreen:

With all due respect, your command of the king's English is far better than my own. RE says "go for it" with the cut and past". I'll go you one better. I suggest you take the views of LD and myself, compress them to core themes and sprinkle them with personal anecdotes and opinions from yourself , RE and others. The fact that YOU are doing it lends objectivity to the discourse. I approve ANYTHING you come up with based on my reading of your devotion to objectivity that I have observed here since day one.  :emthup: :emthup: :emthup: :icon_sunny:

However, I'll keep up the discourse on this thread as long as LD doesn't send a KARATE KICK by e-mail.  :icon_mrgreen:
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline BC2K

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
  • Master Doomsteader, Consultant
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Rehab
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:32 PM »
Doomer's/Prepper's first rule of thumb:

Save the last bullet for yourself.

(Some day there will be no more coffee)
  :coffee:
You can't prepare for a crisis when you are in the middle of it.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
Zombies will most likely be shot on sight and burned in large piles.

WTF?  Okay, I can maybe see wasting precious ammo on zombies if you don't know whether they are armed, but wasting good fuel on them when they are dead?  I don't think so!  Do you have any idea how much wood or methane it takes to burn a human body?

I think the relevant question after TSHTF is whether the zombie layer goes above or below the wood layer in the hugelkulture beds...  :exp-evil:
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 01:28:38 PM »
Zombies will most likely be shot on sight and burned in large piles.

WTF?  Okay, I can maybe see wasting precious ammo on zombies if you don't know whether they are armed, but wasting good fuel on them when they are dead?  I don't think so!  Do you have any idea how much wood or methane it takes to burn a human body?

I think the relevant question after TSHTF is whether the zombie layer goes above or below the wood layer in the hugelkulture beds...  :exp-evil:

well I won't argue with that logic :emthup:

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
Agelbert...WTF man?  I'm not going to be happy about the most destructive machine ever devised by man.  I don't know what that would make me...but not something I'm going to be.  Maybe I have an angry sounding outlook, but I'm not an angry person.  I'm a gentle one whom holds and sleeps with a baby on a daily basis, and loves a toddler and wife. 

I'm not loosing any sleep on account of the Matrix.  Definitely not on account of Zombies either.  Far as gettin' suckered goes...yeah...I got suckered...I'd never deny that.  But I woke up and more than made up for it IMO.  It wasn't an easy endeavor gettin' myself kicked out of the navy...I had a few failed attempts before going UA. 

I think this whole discussion between you and I just comes down to the fact that you don't like the term Zombie and I think it does a great job at defining a real condition in the human mass mind.  I'm no agent of the Matrix...just another ass hole with an opinion when it comes down to it.   :icon_mrgreen:

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
For LD, WHD, Karpatok, Monsta, RE & OTHER DINERS concerned with...read on
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 03:56:41 PM »
I think this whole discussion between you and I just comes down to the fact that you don't like the term Zombie and I think it does a great job at defining a real condition in the human mass mind.  I'm no agent of the Matrix...just another ass hole with an opinion when it comes down to it.   :icon_mrgreen:

NOW WE"RE COOKIN' WITH GAS!  :icon_mrgreen:

Likes, dislikes and opinions are an integral part of the discourse, OF COURSE.

You came up with the term "zombie" to define a certain segment of Homo SAP. I countered that the MATRIX CASTRATED your efforts because THEY command the propaganda machine, not you. THAT IS A FACT, not an opinion. EVERY SINGLE TIME you utter the word "ZOMBIE", 70 to 80% of the readers unconsciously attach ALL the pejorative connotations to people like ME who are retired, have pace makers, orthostatic hypotension so they can' t bend over or squat without getting faint (can't garden worth a SHIT) and, as if THAT wasn't enough are pushing 70 with BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia - we have to PISS OFTEN  :icon_mrgreen:). I REALLY don't like having a "useless eater" sign/target on my back. Can you blame me?

I'm sure you don't blame me. I'm just letting you know that words have some very negative repercussions sometimes that you didn't really mean. You aren't MARRIED to the use of the term you coined unless you suffer from endowment bias (i.e. it's your idea so you will defend it to the death). You don't want to be ruled by opinion, but by objectivity.

Opinions are like assholes; everybody has one and most of them stink. Our job is to extract the germ of truth from our opinions through objective discussion, is it not?

I read all kinds of jokes here from many diners about hanging, drawing and quartering, burning, shooting, etc. the parasitic human robots that are like a pack of voracious caterpillars on a planetary mulberry tree.  I used to hear the same kinds of jokes in the FAA by some jokers that though Germany should have "finished the job". While the "Jews are the problem" meme was going among some assholes on my crew, the term "Fire up the ovens" was greeted by chuckles (I was new so I mostly pretended not to hear it).

After I became a journeyman radar controller (about 2.5 years after being hired), one fellow who had been a Georgia State Trooper before the FAA told the "hilarious joke" that the "reason blacks had chickens on their farms is so they could teach their kids how to walk". Man did THAT PISS ME OFF (and I'm not even black!).

But I said nothing for a couple of weeks. On another occasion, after a crew briefing when more of his stupid, red neck, cracker hate speak "jesting" remarks issued from his bigoted mouth, I waited for everyone else to leave from the briefing room to the control room and told him, You know, one of these days somebody is going to hit you so hard, you are going to be shitting teeth for two weeks. But don't worry, it won't be me. :icon_mrgreen: He kept his jokes to his pals after that.

I was told several times by supervisors that they were just joking and I should have a thicker skin and not be such a bleeding heart (And I was a Republican then!).

I say FUCK THAT! You guys are playing with FIRE here "joking" about offing the "parasitic robots" as if they were Jews in Nazi Germany or Blacks in the deep south for most of US history.

Germans slept with their babies, loved their wives and listened to classical music when they weren't murdering Jews, you know.

My point here for ALL concerned  is, denigration, demonization and coarse jokes about the "bad people" are ALWAYS used by the MATRIX to divide and conquer.  ALWAYS!

I am not advocating an egalitarian utopia. I understand that's NOT the way evolution has worked on this planet. Asymmetrical power relationships have the most evolutionary staying power. That's a fact, not an opinion.

I'll give one last example of lack of objectivity RIGHT HERE at the Doomstead Diner.

Several diners have taken me to the woodshed for REFUSING to back their population culling fantasies. I say that the problem will "solve itself" by more deaths from pollution caused disease and greater knowledge among survivors of our responsibility to maintain harmony with the biosphere.

I am flogged and castigated for failing to see we MUST lower the population. RE brings out his guillotines, Monsta protests and even Karpatok flailed me. I refuse to be part of a culling. All this talk about parasitic robots and overpopulation leads to GENOCIDE!

I am scoffed at. No, no, no the "carrying capacity" must not be exceeded. It's all for the great goddess gaia, you know...

I say, OH YEAH!? You mean like the Spartans leaving the babies who were deformed, lacked a father that could support him or were a reject in some other way on a hill to die?

WHD says, YES! THAT'S THE natural way. LIVE WITH IT! No one has the right to overpopulate gaia...:whip:

The other day we celebrated the FACT that LD and GM had duplicated themselves. They now have TWO treasures from God according to agelbert's quaint views.

GM made a comment about the future size of her family. I say, if they want a "full quiver" (Christian expression for large family), then it's a great idea.  :emthup: They are young, strong, intelligent, well educated, know the score and love the land.

BUT, NOT ONE WORD CAME FROM THE ADVOCATES OF A LOWER POPULATION ADVISING GM that she had actually PASSED her quota of ONE by having TWO and GAIA wouldn't like it if she had three or more. No, all I heard were the sounds of silence.

Which one of you population culling advocates will put Zen or Tribann on the side of a hill if a tree crushes LD's pelvis and knocks him on the head so hard he is a blithering idiot for the rest of his days? WHICH ONE!!!?

NOT ME! I'll do whatever I can (even if I have to kill you) to STOP you from putting LD, Zen or Tribann ON THE SIDE OF A HILL EVEN IF I DIE TRYING TO STOP YOU BECAUSE IT'S JUST fucking wrong!

PEOPLE! Stop playing with FIRE!

The "PSYCHOLOGICAL DISTANCE' from killing "zombie vermin" to putting "people unable to FEND for themselves" to DEATH is EXTREMELY SHORT! Just study NAZI Germany if you don't agree.

Education and the golden rule for ALL LIVING THINGS is the answer. Selective genocide is a road that will BITE YOU IN THE ASS like it did NAZI Germany. Jokes about killing parasitic robots in various ways are dehumanizing. We want a more humane society, not a less humane one.

It's a lot harder that way. It may not work because we humans just love to kill each other too much to learn to respect ourselves, let alone the biosphere.

But anything else is just MORE FAILED tribal bigotry that got us where we are today. If we make that choice, we ARE an evolutionary dead end.

THINK. The children you save may be your own.

Faith,

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 04:01:34 PM »

It's a disease with a cure.  Zombyitis is...just gotta resist cramin' your head back up your ass and deal with the reality that is collapse.  Or don't.  Choice is yours, but if you don't, you will be held responsible for your lack of action.  Regardless of who's to blame.  Nobodies to blame really. We're all people right?  All of us equal according to the tenets of egalitarianism?  Which means we're all responsible for ourselves and what we do and don't do. 

Crimes Against Humanity are evident, and there are Perps here and Victims.  The Perps are the Illuminati Pigmen running Monsanto and DOW Chemical, the Zombies are the Victims who have been brainwashed since birth and completely lack the ability to overcome this anymore.  They wear the Black Armband of Death, along with the Pigmen.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 04:41:08 PM »
Agelbert makes a good point, imho. Have you given much thought as to WHY the whole Zombie phenomenon in movies and television has gotten so incredibly popular?

I mean, I'm not sure I even know the answer to that, but I think it's a good question. Why Zombies? Why now?

There's more to it than just entertainment. It's a cultural archetype. Zombies are a symbol. A symbol of TEOTWAWKI. A symbol of death by epidemic.

A zombie is someone you can kill without remorse, because, let's face it, they are walking dead anyway. Isn't that convenient, to have an enemy who is nothing like you and me? Just a shuffling corpse. Blowing it's head off is an act of mercy...right?

I think when you start calling people zombies, you're on a slippery slope of the worst kind. I don't travel in circles with many Wall Street Pigmen, but I have met a few...I don't like 'em much, but I don't think hanging them from lamp posts is the way to go. There are several broad categories of folks out there that I despise, more or less, but at their worst, they are people...even neo-cons, even welfare queens. Even Christian evangelicals. LOL.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
I'll give one last example of lack of objectivity RIGHT HERE at the Doomstead Diner.

Several diners have taken me to the woodshed for REFUSING to back their population culling fantasies. I say that the problem will "solve itself" by more deaths from pollution caused disease and greater knowledge among survivors of our responsibility to maintain harmony with the biosphere.

I am flogged and castigated for failing to see we MUST lower the population. RE brings out his guillotines, Monsta protests and even Karpatok flailed me. I refuse to be part of a culling. All this talk about parasitic robots and overpopulation leads to GENOCIDE!

I am scoffed at. No, no, no the "carrying capacity" must not be exceeded. It's all for the great goddess gaia, you know...

I say, OH YEAH!? You mean like the Spartans leaving the babies who were deformed, lacked a father that could support him or were a reject in some other way on a hill to die?

WHD says, YES! THAT'S THE natural way. LIVE WITH IT! No one has the right to overpopulate gaia...:whip:

The other day we celebrated the FACT that LD and GM had duplicated themselves. They now have TWO treasures from God according to agelbert's quaint views.

GM made a comment about the future size of her family. I say, if they want a "full quiver" (Christian expression for large family), then it's a great idea.  :emthup: They are young, strong, intelligent, well educated, know the score and love the land.

BUT, NOT ONE WORD CAME FROM THE ADVOCATES OF A LOWER POPULATION ADVISING GM that she had actually PASSED her quota of ONE by having TWO and GAIA wouldn't like it if she had three or more. No, all I heard were the sounds of silence.

Which one of you population culling advocates will put Zen or Tribann on the side of a hill if a tree crushes LD's pelvis and knocks him on the head so hard he is a blithering idiot for the rest of his days? WHICH ONE!!!?

NOT ME! I'll do whatever I can (even if I have to kill you) to STOP you from putting LD, Zen or Tribann ON THE SIDE OF A HILL EVEN IF I DIE TRYING TO STOP YOU BECAUSE IT'S JUST fucking wrong!

PEOPLE! Stop playing with FIRE!

The "PSYCHOLOGICAL DISTANCE' from killing "zombie vermin" to putting "people unable to FEND for themselves" to DEATH is EXTREMELY SHORT! Just study NAZI Germany if you don't agree.

Education and the golden rule for ALL LIVING THINGS is the answer. Selective genocide is a road that will BITE YOU IN THE ASS like it did NAZI Germany. Jokes about killing parasitic robots in various ways are dehumanizing. We want a more humane society, not a less humane one.

It's a lot harder that way. It may not work because we humans just love to kill each other too much to learn to respect ourselves, let alone the biosphere.

But anything else is just MORE FAILED tribal bigotry that got us where we are today. If we make that choice, we ARE an evolutionary dead end.

THINK. The children you save may be your own.

Wow, you cut right to the core of all this shit with that one brother!

My attempts to make this same point have been much too subtle...

BUT, someone should probably throw in some intellectual ambivalence here. At the core it will all depend on what you believe is TRUE, because we can all imagine a reality in which "human population culling" could be justified in certain circumstances, yes... even putting the burdensome baby on the the hill to die...

but do we believe that's the reality we actually exist in?

It's not only a matter of recognizing the practical genocidal consequences of our suggestions or "jokes", but also recognizing the inability of those suggestions to cohere with the Truth.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:54:13 PM by Ashvin »

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 05:17:40 PM »
Thanks Eddie!  :emthup:

I've been on the internet since 1996. Around 1998 I started seeing, in the newspapers and on the internet LOTS of adds about "JOIN THE NATIONAL GUARD AND GET A FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION!". I smelled a rat called WAR. I thought the Kosovo thing would blow up to some European war but I also remember the web site "World Net Daily" screaming about the Ayatollahs in Iran and how we had to fight them...

I told my wife they are cooking up a war. I told everyone that would listen that the "free college" was a hook to beef up the size of the "volunteer US military" with cannon fodder. We all know what happened. 

People just don't GET that the stuff that is OUT there WORKS the mindfuck for the MATRIX quite well. To dismiss the silly repetition as nonsensical gibberish is laziness. It's there for a reason and the more people figure out that reason, the less the propaganda works.

Remember when Bush was in Iraq in secret and they announced all kinds of details of the Turkey dinner that Condolezza Rice was invited to at the RANCH just beforehand? I do. I went back and read how the Washington Post and the New York Times MADE SURE people read this inane bit of ""innocent" Thanksgiving food prattle. I have gone as far as to say the very top dogs in the MATRIX are media moguls. But generalizations are no good. Whenever something sounds like a non sequitur, they are confusing you to get your mind off something else. Just like the big flap about a "leak" now and Obama's "endangered term" made me ask, WHAT ARE THEY HIDING? They are trying to hide the fact that the empire is LOSING in SYRIA by making as much noise as possible in an attempt to blackmail Obama to start the war. I checked the news within ONE day of this "leak" shit. Low and behold, Assad is wiping the death squad strongholds out. Panic time for the MATRIX. Bring out another "scandal".

If more people did the critical thinking leg work to see how the game is played, less people would be taken in by it.
Faith,

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »
Thanks Ashvin!

Yes, I know that population thing is a hot potato. Surly will no doubt smile at my "spiking the ball" AGAIN.  :icon_mrgreen:

But, as you said, these hard subjects cut to the core of our belief systems and we should NOT shy away from discussing them.

NOW, when things aren't that hard YET, is the time to hash this out. Disparate and dissonant value systems will destroy a community quicker than bad weather of an outside threat. A house divided will not hold up under the coming challenges. If people are to decide it's "OKAY" to kill humans and even eat them in certain situations, then the RULES can't just be applied to the OTHER. 

We aren't preparing for weekend camping here. Bravado about shooting first and asking questions later is fine in Western films but rarely works well in actual human, day to day, hard scrabble existence.

Now I'll remain silent for a while and see what the population culling crowd has to add.

I welcome any more thoughts of yours on this and the "zombie" issue as well.  :emthup:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:10:04 AM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline monsta666

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 06:22:53 PM »
Just to be clear here, I have never personally advocated that we must manufacture a die-off to avoid the overshoot problem. I merely suggested that a die-off is a inevitable outcome especially if you consider that most of the problems facing humanity are actively DENIED and will continue to be denied until it is impossible to do so. It seems doubtful that any organised action will be taken until the crisis happens and when that moment does arrive the options for mitigation will be very limited. It will be about damage control and not damage prevention. I see a die-off as a natural event and not one that should be forced. I would not advocate for the mass killing of people.

The only thing I would say is that once the whole die-off process is complete then the population of future societies must be controlled in some manner lest the same overshoot problems happen again. We either have a situation were population is maintained at a equilibrium over a long period of time or accept that populations will go through boom and bust periods if we prefer that nature makes those difficult population decisions. I tend to believe it is better that man makes those decisions rather than leaving it to nature to decide because in the latter case I feel the pain is likely to be distributed in a less equitable manner. Population control can be achieved by only allowing certain members of society to reproduce and those reproductive rights can be gained by passing a test to see if a person exhibits the correct moral traits. To make this process fair and not turn this into another policy of eugenics all members of society must be subject to the same test and no member can be exempt or given extra allowances due to status or other privileges. It must be a level playing field. In many ways this process could be seen as a coming of age test.

Online agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Monsta said
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »
To make this process fair and not turn this into another policy of eugenics all members of society must be subject to the same test and no member can be exempt or given extra allowances due to status or other privileges. It must be a level playing field. In many ways this process could be seen as a coming of age test.
:emthup: :emthup: :emthup: :icon_sunny:
Faith,