AuthorTopic: Zombie Rehab  (Read 50664 times)

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
ZOMBIE BUGS! Will humans be next?
« Reply #315 on: July 02, 2013, 09:16:28 PM »

Insects As Post-Apocalyptic First Responders? Creepy!
July 2, 2013

Imagine a terrible disaster that leaves the air toxic and the soil contaminated with radiation. A disaster like that, one like Fukushima or Chernobyl or London towards the end of 28 Days Later, that humans might need to – but might not be able to – safely explore. In almost any scenario you come up with, it’s probably easy to imagine that something will be able to survive – thrive, even! Namely: cockroaches.

A team of researchers from North Carolina State University have done exactly that kind of imagining, and they’re using special computer chips hard-wired into bugs’ nervous systems in order to create cyborg insects and control the behavior of some truly massive cockroaches. “Our goal is to be able to guide these roaches as efficiently as possible, and our work with Kinect is helping us do that,” says Dr. Alper Bozkurt of NCSU. “We want to build on this program, incorporating mapping and radio frequency techniques that will allow us to use a small group of cockroaches to explore and map disaster sites.”

The scientists are using a “hacked” version of Microsoft’s Kinect gaming system to control the cyborgs (cybugs? -Ed.). We’ve known for some time that Microsoft’s popular video game controller has a lot of great potential – but who would have thought it would be used to control cockroaches? Frankly, it sounds a bit gross, especially if you are someone who spends a great deal of time trying to smash the ugly critters, but there may be some genuinely good uses for such technology. ??? On the other hand, I find the way that cockroaches move creepy enough to begin with.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/R-IzkGA9hTc#&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/R-IzkGA9hTc#&fs=1</a>

agelbert note: The above video makes me very, very angry. Such obvious, gratuitous Dr. Strangelove cruelty towards an innocent insect is at the root of everything evil Homo SAP is doing to the biosphere (and consequently and stupidly, himself). Under the guise of some contrived utiltarian function, there seems to be no limit to the horrors we are willing, able and enthusiastically commmitting. It seems we have picked up where the NAZIs left off.

Full Story here:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/07/02/insects-as-post-apocalyptic-first-responders-creepy/#ZGprssmxsuZtUtqK.99

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Underwater Zombies? I've got just what you need to deal with them!
« Reply #316 on: July 02, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »
Slow Motion of an AK-47 Underwater (Part 1) - Smarter Every Day 95

Believe it or not, gas operated cocking is QUICKER underwater than in the air!
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Answer to question
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
I don't appear to have adequate post stats to reply in the dungeon threads. That's ok, I only wish that prudish put-downs also qualified as napalm to go there.

I think I would have the adequate chef status to participate if I had not quit previously in protest of RE's treatment of GO, and the negativity at the time. GO suggests now that my "absences" were instead due to ashvin. I would have said so if so. I had 800 posts at the time, more recently I did not quit but was just busy, as I had said. Whatever, it seems others can reply, I cant, don't really want to either,  but figure its the post stats.

Anyway, a question has been put to me by Karpatok and I do not want to appear to be ignoring it. The question was to do with the foxstead crew being desperate and dependent on RE for more prepping supplies, or words to that effect.

I don't believe that assessment is accurate. Firstoff they all have their individual  self sufficiency setups, in Alaska, Minnesota, SC, and roamer quitting nuclear power plant to do farms. secondly, RE is sticking to his principle of being equal to others by investing only an equal share rathe than just outright buying the block of land. Probably, if the others were not already well advanced in their setups as well as his own, he would put that principle aside and think it necessary for urgencies sake to take that plunge.

Anything else I cant speak for others, you would be better off to get straight from the horses mouths.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Rehab
« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »
What are you still doing here UB, weren't you going grizzly adams starting yesterday?.... You might ask.

Well I was, but around these parts, everywhere you go, people keep me talking for at least half an hour and I get held up like that and what should take an hour takes 3 or 4. So half the plan for the day gets postponed to the next day. "slow paced lifestyle" they like to call it.

Oddly I find it has its benefits. You cant google up info you need, or even look it up in a directory. Things you need are lying around folks yards, or people who can do things to help are not advertising etc, you get my drift. So by shooting the breeze, you hear who has what and who can do what, so many examples of this so far. Still, I find myself making it obvious I need to go by turning sideways and taking a pose sort of like "on your marks, get set, ready..."runners pose with my head turned back almost 180 degrees. That doesn't work, so until  someone else comes along to distract, Im stuck LOL. The result was yesterday instead of picking up the boy from school and heading to the farm I had to call the school and leave a message for him to catch the bus back and get reception to let him in, and I got back after dark. I was never any good at winding up 50 minute appointments on time  with talkative types either lol.

So instead of spending the first night in the relative rough last night it will be tonight.
I set off yesterday a 75 mile trip to the nearest town of 3000 popn. to buy things I would need. First stop real estate agents to pick up keys. I learned that in that town there was in fact a martial arts club, MMA in fact, just it isn't advertised. Great news this, it was a big downer for me being here that the boy had no club or competition to carry on his MMA. In Perth there were no other 13 year olds giving him a challenge and he was up there with the handful of best 15 year olds in the state.  Another good thing for him is that the age grouping in Tas for what year you go in is taken in reverse to WA, so they dropped him down a year. This is a big relief for me as he was really struggling previously in school in all Non math, chem, etc, word based subjects. If I wasn't practically doing his homework for him he was failing. At least he was allright in math because I cant help too far with it.

So that will be about an hours trip each way to training from home, or 45 mins from school, that's ok.

Similarly detained at camping and clothing stores then on to hardware store where the only one line conversation was so funny I have to tell it...

In the city the hardware stores are huge warehouses where they have big trolleys to load up stacks of stuff. Not in a little country town, nothing but a basket. So this young fella working there probably 18-20 sees me struggling with my arms full of torches (flashlights), gas lanterns, solar lights and showers etc, and eases me of my burden, saying;

"What are you preparing for, the zombie apocalypse?"  :o

"sure am son!!!" I said.  :laugh: :icon_sunny:

Anyway I want to get some pics of the progress up, but wont be able to upload into computer for a while, so will take some with mobile phone  (only 2 megapixel) or  juniors ipod and email to the dd from the things I can at least keep charged from the car.

Adios again amigos  ;)  8)  UB

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 21, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »
Go well!
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 21, 2013, 04:38:01 PM »
What are you still doing here UB, weren't you going grizzly adams starting yesterday?.... You might ask.

Is there Wireless 4G Internet where your Doomstead is located?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #321 on: August 21, 2013, 10:11:48 PM »
so if GM, Zen, Tribann, and I get a wild hair up our ass and want to move to Australia can we build a hobbit house for giants anglo saxons on your land? 

And yeah, I'll teach the boy some Aikido...but first I'll have to teach him how not to fight just like my Sensei did me. 

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: September 03, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
so if GM, Zen, Tribann, and I get a wild hair up our ass and want to move to Australia can we build a hobbit house for giants anglo saxons on your land? 

And yeah, I'll teach the boy some Aikido...but first I'll have to teach him how not to fight just like my Sensei did me.

No Problem at all LD, I need all the help I can get lol.

Anyway, 2 weeks down without electrickery, and two to go, before I have power to run computer. cant say more now since Im in library with a 10 minute use limit and Im over that already. Best Regards to all.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #323 on: September 03, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »

Anyway, 2 weeks down without electrickery, and two to go, before I have power to run computer. cant say more now since Im in library with a 10 minute use limit and Im over that already. Best Regards to all.

That's bad ass UB...that you don't have electricity.  When GM and I went on our first date, I didn't have electricity in my apartment :D

I remember we went to the apartment for some reason, think she wanted to see where I lived, and there was no power.  I did, however, have candles...even when I was a 22 year old fuck up I was still happy without power.   :rain:

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: September 15, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
last week I bought a small generator but its still in the box. I will start it for the football finals, but for regular tv I think about it and change my mind. Too many ads too much disturbance of the peace and quiet. a deck of cards and chessboard and library card do the trick.

progress so far is Ive bought 18 fruit and nut trees and put in pots, half way through building a temporary possum and rabbit proof cage to keep them in until I work out something with where to plant and how to protect.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: September 15, 2013, 11:39:12 PM »
last week I bought a small generator but its still in the box. I will start it for the football finals, but for regular tv I think about it and change my mind. Too many ads too much disturbance of the peace and quiet. a deck of cards and chessboard and library card do the trick.

You should pick up a 120 Watt Solar PV Panel.  It's enough to keep your Laptop charged up and in contact with Global Diners.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
  • "Dream your happiest dream vividly awake."
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
« Reply #326 on: October 15, 2013, 05:16:19 PM »

That's bad ass UB...that you don't have electricity.  When GM and I went on our first date, I didn't have electricity in my apartment :D

I remember we went to the apartment for some reason, think she wanted to see where I lived, and there was no power.  I did, however, have candles...even when I was a 22 year old fuck up I was still happy without power.   :rain:

A sexy 22 year old fuck up...obviously  ;D

Something about a man who could still operate without power made me produce my OWN electricity ;)

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #327 on: October 15, 2013, 05:28:00 PM »

A sexy 22 year old fuck up...obviously  ;D

Something about a man who could still operate without power made me produce my OWN electricity ;)

Ohhh my :D :D

GM's back...she said she feels like Tribann has mellowed out some and she can now spend some energy here.  But don't confuse that wit da electricity she's talkin' bout.  ;)

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 15, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
They say youth is wasted on the young and theres the proof.

When I was that age I was also too stupid to know that when a woman has made up her mind to go back to your apartment she doesnt really care about seeing the apartment lol.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #329 on: October 16, 2013, 03:00:12 AM »
They say youth is wasted on the young and theres the proof.

When I was that age I was also too stupid to know that when a woman has made up her mind to go back to your apartment she doesnt really care about seeing the apartment lol.

Hah! Made me smile...

Some times we need to learn to be able to take yes for an answer.

:icon_mrgreen:
"...reprehensible lying communist..."