AuthorTopic: Responsibilities to parents  (Read 509 times)

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
Responsibilities to parents
« on: June 21, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »
Another question for Ashvin and other theologically-minded Christians here.  Once again, its on how to phrase a sensitive topic in terms that will resonate with biblically-minded folks.

The current model of "elder care" is to stick them in a nursing home and wait to inherit.  It's a luxury of cheap energy and I suspect we'll go back to multi-generational households within a few decades.

Our daughter is working with an elderly couple trying to avoid going into assisted living, they get help from her, plus two of the three adult children of the couple.  The third is refusing to help because she's found Jesus and won't do anything unless the elderly couple start going to a church she approves of.

What biblical references would you use to gently remind her of her responsibilities to her parents?

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Responsibilities to parents
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:50:04 AM »
Another question for Ashvin and other theologically-minded Christians here.  Once again, its on how to phrase a sensitive topic in terms that will resonate with biblically-minded folks.

The current model of "elder care" is to stick them in a nursing home and wait to inherit.  It's a luxury of cheap energy and I suspect we'll go back to multi-generational households within a few decades.

Our daughter is working with an elderly couple trying to avoid going into assisted living, they get help from her, plus two of the three adult children of the couple.  The third is refusing to help because she's found Jesus and won't do anything unless the elderly couple start going to a church she approves of.

What biblical references would you use to gently remind her of her responsibilities to her parents?

I agree that multi-generational households will be the norm, but I think you see these becoming normative within 20 years. Maybe sooner.

In re the third ungrateful Christopathic child, the scriptural references I would cite are
"Honor your father and your mother: that your days may be long on the land which the LORD your God gives you."- Exodus 20:12

and
"Help me find the number for my lawyer, so I can make changes to my will." -Surly 12:7
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound