AuthorTopic: Database Connections Cut  (Read 732 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Database Connections Cut
« on: July 03, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
I am not convinced that the Diner DB problem is just a Money Grab.  There are other places similar things are happening.

First off, all of Peter's sites are hit, and Peter has been shut out of his Support Tickets.  He is on the same server as me, so maybe you think OK, its just this server.

Then today I go over to TBP to check on the Diner Down parallel thread Jimbo dropped on for me, and lo and behold, 3 times I get Database Connectivity issues and can't access TBP.  Jim is not on the same server as us, and he doesn't use SMF either, its just a straight WP site.  No complex tech there.

Then Monsta has issues uploading the Mobus Podcast on Soundcloud, and WHD gets flagged as a Spammer on Create-a-Forum.

Then I go over to check the status of my support ticket, and it is GONE.

Then we get the Newz that TOD is shutting down.

Seems like a few too many COINKIDINKS here occurring in rapid succession.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Database Connections Cut
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:33:37 AM »
I am not convinced that the Diner DB problem is just a Money Grab.  There are other places similar things are happening.

First off, all of Peter's sites are hit, and Peter has been shut out of his Support Tickets.  He is on the same server as me, so maybe you think OK, its just this server.

Then today I go over to TBP to check on the Diner Down parallel thread Jimbo dropped on for me, and lo and behold, 3 times I get Database Connectivity issues and can't access TBP.  Jim is not on the same server as us, and he doesn't use SMF either, its just a straight WP site.  No complex tech there.

Then Monsta has issues uploading the Mobus Podcast on Soundcloud, and WHD gets flagged as a Spammer on Create-a-Forum.

Then I go over to check the status of my support ticket, and it is GONE.

Then we get the Newz that TOD is shutting down.

Seems like a few too many COINKIDINKS here occurring in rapid succession.

RE

I cede my conspiracy theory hat to no man. And yet...

What do you mean your support ticket is gone? What do the support pukes have to say about that?

As mentioned elsewhere, TOD is largely dead by its own leaden hand.

Sometimes dots represent patterns, and sometimes they are just dots.

I DO notice that haniel's mirror site is FAR more responsive than the old site in terms of loading.

You mentioned migration. What up?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:31 AM »
RE and I are going to move the hosting to my provider, they are small, privately owned, environmentally conscious and pretty ethical  I've stuck with them for over a decade, having them host over 200 domains at one point. 

The migration should be transparent to all users except admins.  The blogger logins will remain the same, as will the forum logins.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:40:35 AM »
RE and I are going to move the hosting to my provider, they are small, privately owned, environmentally conscious and pretty ethical  I've stuck with them for over a decade, having them host over 200 domains at one point. 

The migration should be transparent to all users except admins.  The blogger logins will remain the same, as will the forum logins.

Wonderful. The load time and response is pretty zippy compared to that of the previous extortionists.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:57 AM »

you're the man Haniel.  And I mean that in a good way :laugh: