AuthorTopic: The Fox Den  (Read 17236 times)

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
The Fox Den
« on: July 09, 2013, 02:21:37 AM »

Off the keyboard of Lucid Dreams

Published on Epiphany Now on February 12, 2012

ninja fox

Discuss this article at the Doomsteading Table inside the Diner

It’s interesting to note that with the increasing bouts of synchronicity in my life, the amount of irony has increased as well. The starkest bit of irony would be that I have resigned from the Matrix while at the same time increased the amount of online computer time required of me. This doesn’t bother me much, and that is mainly because it’s winter, and what else am I going to do? Winter is definitely the time for reflection and personal psychological investigations. Winter also lends itself magnificently to the writer in us. One doesn’t have to look out from a window at a beautiful spring or summer day that is begging, indeed demanding, assistance from us in our many post petroleum endeavors. During the winter one looks outside and is thankful to be inside, where it is warm. Not only are we thankful, we are aware that this is the time for guilt free planning for the year ahead. Even the most adept muddler increases his success by thinking and planning about what changes he must make in reality to continue following his (or her) bliss (I see people use “her” in place of “his” often and I’m always struck by how it reads differently…I use the male version simply as a matter of habit…not out of a sense of chauvinism).

In the month that has past I have been busy paying attention to my changing life circumstances. The 15th is the day that our POD will be picked up, and it’s also the day that we will be leaving the house we have called home for the last five years. There has been a small amount of melancholy on my part in response to this move. Mostly I reside somewhere between equanimity and joy when I think about my life now, but there are times when sadness is not only desirable but healthy and needed. It seems, here again, that Winter lends itself to these emotional states of mind. “The Winter of Our Discontent” comes to mind here. John Steinbeck has long been my favorite American author, and I’ve read about 50% of the work he left behind. I always identified with him on a personal level. My favorite aspect of John Steinbeck are the true human idiosyncrasies that he had such a brilliant way of writing about. He was sort of like the arbiter of commentary on the condition of man in the 20th century. He wrote about everyman and his struggle. He wrote about me.

The Winter of our Discontent applies directly to my current Resignation from the Matrix. The protagonist, Ethan Allen Hawley, is every American following the dictates of the American Hologram in pursuit of the American Dream. He thinks he wants success, and in typical American fashion that means anything goes. Robbery, extortion, usury, bribe, black mail, and all other measures of moral turpitude are fair game where “success” in the American sense of the acquisitive life are concerned. The logical conclusion to a life spent absorbed in hucksterism is one of suicide and this is largely what The Winter of our Discontent is about. Ethan is saved by a talisman that his daughter sticks in his coat in place of the razor blades that were to assist him in the dispatch of his own failed huckster lifestyle. His own lack of a moral North (beyond the hologram that is) fructified into a son whom saw no dilemma in plagiarizing his way into society’s recognition. After getting an honest man deported, and taking advantage of a drunken friend to service his endless desire for more, what could he say to his son about a simple plagiarism? In perfect symbolism his son is given an accolade from society for his ethical nihilism.

Herein lies the difference between the life of following your bliss and the life of following the dictates of the Matrix. On the one hand you are true to yourself and therefore everyone else, and on the other you are the mythical embodiment of the trickster. One you can stand beside your soul and hold your head up amongst your own harshest critique, and the other you must hide and never reveal who you are lest somebody take advantage of you. One leads to happiness, joy, and equanimity, and the other leads to losing the will to live. It’s important to note that the acquisitive lifestyle will always end in misery, because in servicing all of the material acquired, your life force gets siphoned out from you by inanimate objects. This while those in your life vie for your attention and time. America has no soul because it has been transferred to all of the loot we busy ourselves with jacking from whomever isn’t strong enough to defend against our infectious wanting.

What is the “Matrix” exactly. I’ve had more time to think about this lately since I resigned from it. In many ways it’s the perfect metaphor from within the Myth of the Machine (MOTM). This myth is a dying myth. It was the myth that serviced the 20th century, and the one that Steinbeck busied himself with outlining through all manner of magnificent fiction (he contributed much more than that to the American psyche, but he was living in the apex of the MOTM thinking). The 21st century needs a new Steinbeck, and one that will busy himself with writing fiction at a time when all that is left is a dying myth. What is to replace the MOTM? It seems to me that scavenging will be the default winner. John Michael Greer calls the economy of the future the “scarcity economy.” By future one should understand that this is the very near future. For many Americans this has already become the way in which they live, and not by any voluntary means either. For those of us who see the future clearly, we are entering into the “scavenge economy,” as I like to call it, now. It is a largely untapped economy that is literally found at the ass hole end of the empire. The American Empire is a gluttonous and inefficient digester, and so it’s quite easy to find whole and undigested bits of wealth in said shit pile.

This is what it means to be a scavenger. It helps to look at the animal kingdom to glean some information about how to scavenge. Look at the Crow, the possum, or the perfect embodiment of the scavenger…the Raccoon. Raccoons are professional scavengers that grow fat amidst our gluttonous society. A raccoons life is a good life and they don’t want for anything. I’ve watched many a raccoon help themselves to the cat food that gets left over by my outdoor cats. Urban Raccoons are a fearless lot, and I have had them walk to within a foot of me to get the cat food only slowly scampering off if I make the wrong move. They move at night and they seem to me to be overly satisfied with their place in our shit pile. However this is not the animal that I want informing me. The animal that is coming into view for me as a mentor is the Fox. This is an animal steeped in mythic lore. Yet again, here is more of that irony I was speaking of in the beginning of this essay because the fox is the mythical trickster. However this is not the same trickster as the one that keeps us from enlightenment. The evil trickster is the one Steinbeck wrote about in The Winter of our Discontent. This is the animal trickster whom gets what he needs by taking it as if by magic. In fact, the fox is amongst the magical adept of the animal kingdom and this shows up in fox lore. I must be honest and admit that I know very little about fox lore, but I intend on educating myself on the matter and reporting about it here. For now, I can simply say that the fox has introduced himself to me by way of dream epiphany.

Michael Ruppert recently found himself being ruthlessly teased by Joe Rogan when he brought up “fox magic.” Indeed, fox magic is the magical path at who’s gate I am standing and about to enter in earnest on the 15th when my POD is picked up. I see myself as a trickster fox as viewed by the matrix. Rather than hustling within the Matrix, all while paying homage to the corporate Bankster masters, I’ll be hustling just out of reach of the Matrix. Don’t misunderstand me, cause like the crew of the Nebuchadnezzar, I’ll be stealthily dropping in on the Matrix when need be. I spoke of bending the rules in my resignation, and I have begun doing just that. Dumpster diving is a great place to start bending the rules. It’s probably not going to get you arrested around here, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

The scavenge economy (black market) is booming right now. There is a lot of cash circulating in the black market because we can’t afford to waste our cash on the empire any longer. We can’t afford to pay ridiculous amounts of currency for things we can barter, thrift, or otherwise acquire for free. People, especially women, still have the want to shop for things. These things can be gotten for free and sold at a very fair price to gain the cash that one may find themselves in need of. All of this can be very easily done under the radar of the Matrix while also using the Matrix. This is what my wife and I are doing now. Last night, when the fox came to visit me, he gave me a nod as he scampered off back into invisibility. He imbued in me the source of his invisibility just as I presume he did with Mike Ruppert. It seems to me that the fox should be the animal mascot of our movement out of the Matrix. The fox is the perfect candidate to uncover the myth that we will write together. The myth that will service the 21st century Scavenge Economy of the Post Petroleum Human Nation. I can think of no better animal. As I’ve said I intend on writing more about the Fox and what kind of myth he may uncover for those like me (and likely you since you find yourself reading this). There is a business descending in my life, and it’s been dubbed “The Fox Den.” Good luck finding it…however if you are prepared it may find you.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:43:20 AM by RE »

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
  • "Dream your happiest dream vividly awake."
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
The Foxstead Chronicles 1
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 02:23:21 AM »

Off the keyboard of Gypsy Mama

Published on The Butterchurn on July 8, 2013

our-sun

Discuss this article at the Doomsteading Table inside the Diner

sun-whdThe SUN Project

Sustaining Universal Needs: Journal Entry 1

I’m going to have to throw this blog up there, without putting the time I need into it to make it marketable…but I have to say, quickly (I’m a tired Mommy who can’t stay up too much later)… that the Foxstead is HERE.  I’m not sure why I didn’t see it before, but here it is.

Tonight I stood in our yard, holding a sleeping Tribann.  I saw our property and the surrounding land around us in a new, moonlight, light.  Moonlight was not the only light out there tonight, however.  These strange power surges echoed across the sky tonight too…shedding lots of new light onto this subject:  “Where will the Foxstead become a reality?”

In my mind, tonight it did.  It is now a reality.

When we first moved here, LD posted this blog:  http://emtmusings.blogspot.com/2012/03/epiphany-now-photojournal-1.html 

He knew, long before me, that we were building a future here.  THIS IS THE FOXSTEAD.

I’ve also composed a quick, mental, unedited list as to where I see the future of the Foxstead emerging that I want to share.  A sort of timeline, really.  It may change…it is preliminary, it is a vision and I am excited…so I am typing frantically to try to get all of these ideas out there to share.  I know it will take some time for these ideas to emerge, and be visible to the members of the Diner so I will have to be patient.  Please be patient with me, as well, as I begin the journey into telling you why I feel the Foxstead has already been created, right before my eyes, in my own backyard.

Tonight, as I stood in our back yard holding Tribann, I saw beyond the confines of our property’s chain link fence in a new way.  It was as if someone smacked me across the face, using some power electric technology…offering my bliss back, tangibly.  I took the bait.

Strangely, all of this talk about “Seeing” things in a new way is ironic.  I have a pretty severe case of eczema going on right now on my right eye.  It is all swollen and itchy.  Pretty unbearable at times.  It makes my eye water constantly.  Zen asks me frequently if I am crying.  It’s pretty ugly.  I took a few pictures of myself holding Tribann tonight.  I’ll share them later so that you’ll be able to judge for yourself whether or not I have a magic gypsy eye.  I’m thinking I might.  It may just need to itch and weep for me to see things the way I should, sadly.  I’ll have to find a way to welcome it in without such a painful emergence next time around.  So…let it be said, MAGIC GYPSY EYE, you are WELCOME!!!!  You don’t need to break out with eczema anymore for me to be able to see the Future more clearly.

Anyhow….when Roamer visited this weekend, we discussed how the trailer park/RV park model was THE way to begin our model.  Then I realized that there is a trailer park next door to us…a bunch of tin cans and EMPTY ELECTRIC AND SEWER HOOKUPS!!!!! COME on DOWN, Diners!!!!!  Reanteben?  Monstaa and girlfriend?  Ships ahoy, mates!

Then, I connected that RE had allowed us to make this address, this location, the center of the SUN project, which is essentially the Foxstead’s gossamer veil for the public.

Then I realized that when Roamer was here, we had shared the dream of owning a large piece of property to create a Foxstead.  I was pushing wanting to own property with  a Farmhouse on it.  Tonight in the yard, I realized that there is a FUCKING FARM HOUSE just across the field from us.  The empty, more than likely for SALE field just sitting there, waiting to be purchased.

Now…purchasing the farm house is going to be far into the future…but so will purchasing the RESTAURANT across the street from the Farm house.  Anyone who pays any attention to LD and his posts knows that he loves hole diggin’ and cookin’ up concoctions.  Be it ferment, mexican themed wraps, pancakes or biscuits…the man is a CHEF.  Lucky me!  Lucky boys, too!  Aunt Bee will pretty much jump the baby gate for some of LD’s pancakes.  Ask JoeP about the fermented hot sauces.  Ask Roamer about LD’s mexican cookin’ and AM biscuits.  We shall hold onto the dream of owning that restaurant.

Then…I see an empty field (also probably purchasable…easily purchasable, in fact.  Perfect for cattle, sheep, goats and some permaculture production of nut trees and perennials using Mark Shepard’s methods as brought to “light” in my eyes via LD and Roamer.

Then, I envision a sort of English garden where sheep are the lawnmowers of our paths.  The paths that connect the garden beds to the flower beds to the gypsy house.

Then I envision living in the Gypsyhouse.  Then I see our current house as a converted apartment for Diners to come.  Then the top garage becomes an idea for conversion into two small rental properties to bring money in to fund the diner…to promote it, to make it profitable.

THEN, those trailers next door look even more appealing for the money making profitability of the future.  I think of how the owner of the trailer park is elderly.  He’s knockin’ on his 80?s at least.  His son is apparently planning on clearing out the trailer park to build apartments.  Could we buy the land from them before that happens?  DO we have enough funds to convince the elderly father and perhaps his son, to sell us the land that the trailer park sits on?  Do they have a good enough relationship as to where the Father won’t sell the land to us before his eventual death?  Will the son accept a decent amount of money for the land to be bought before his father’s death?  These questions rolled around in my head.

Soon, I saw that we owned the trailer park.  We owned the land, owned the plots, and were BRINGIN’ in the RENT from the current occupants.  We spoke to one of those occupants recently.  He owns his trailer, but pays $300 a month parking fees for his lot on the property, plus electric.  Say we buy the trailer park…the current residents sure would be happy with their new owners if we lowered their rent to $250/month for good measure.  We’d create great connections with them from the start.  They’d like us.  They’d be interested in what we were doing or they would move their tin can.  That’s cool.  More room for RE to pull in his RV!!!!!!

Anyhow…that is as far as I think I can go tonight.  The screen is getting blurry through my magic gypsy eye.  I need rest.  Tribann is in my lap snoring, so that doesn’t help me make the process of staying awake to get my message across any easier.

So…maybe I’ll continue what else is around these parts of the Foxstead to the potential soon-to-be residents in a following blog.  For now, just study the below photo that I drew out tonight with the Wacom tablet that my former rich photographer ass purchased to be super master photographer.  Funny how things connect full circle.  Zen.

The photo shows that across the street from our property.  The blue is water.  The orange is peaches, the red is danger, the green is forest, the yellow is fields (empty, and established with vegetables and edible growth), the black is road, the gray is gravel.  NOTE:  the land with the pond and the fields connecting to the peach fields and swamp is FOR SALE and I am in LOVE WITH IT!!!!!  I plan on speaking with LD’s Mom and Dad about a co-purchase of this land.

ImageNext image I’ll post will be of our current set up, and will show the proximity of the trailer park, farm house, LD’s restaurant and purchasable fields and restaurant.

THAT’S NOT ALL FOLKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before I began this blog post, I began writing a little fictional tale of the future of this Foxstead.  I’ll leave you with what I wrote to lure you back in to the next blog:

—————————————————————————————————————-

This idea is going to have to be a blog, guys.  I’m not sure where my “traffic” is coming from these days, but I have a feeling that a decent number of diners might stop in every now and then.  The Gypsy house at the end of this hilly gravel road doesn’t see very much movement these days.  I’m unsure if anyone is out there, really.  Some of the more skillful minds who have survived the collapse we all knew was coming may know of some way to access the internet.  We wish you were all here.  Luckily, we have Ignoring the Trolls to take care of our server needs here at the Foxstead.  He’s saved our Server’s ass more than once from Big Brother and his burly siblings. RE still receives our messages and manages to get my newest messages posted at the Doomstead Diner.  He has managed to survive the great beyond so far, the old fart.

Here’s an update on what is going on at the FoxStead. The FoXStead newsletter: VoL 2: Article 3

Date: July 07, 2037

Authored by: GypsyMama and LD

GypsyMama:

Roamer is out roamin’ again. He’s put Zen and Tribann in charge of protecting his den. I hope those boys don’t burn it down. Some commune down in Arkansas hired Roamer to introduce another Earth Works Power Plant into their system. He’s still getting paid with room and board and a trade of supplies. The Oregon Trail 2037, some of us call it. I like to call it the Roamin’ Trail. He leaves here with a backpack, a cow and cart and comes back with vegetables we can’t grow in this soil, furs, little pre-petroleum perks like Twinkies and Whole Coffee beans. The Twinkies are zombie bait. They LOVE ‘EM! “Tie a Twinkie on a string and watch them swing” we like to say. The coffee beans are like pre-collapse gold to LD and I. We like to grind them in the mortor and pessel, heat up some rainwater over LD’s kitchen stove and indulge like it’s 2013. One of the last years before TSHTF (no longer only Diner code. That’s as standard as that age’s “LOL” now).

A new couple found their way here. By word of mouth, they say. We’re still a bit skeptical of them because we don’t know who sent them, but our base is so large now, it’s just hard to tell. Word of our Foxstead has apparently already spread to Colorado. That’s where they’re from, so they can’t be all bad.

We’ve set them up in one of the original trailers to the FoxStead. It’s the blue trailer behind our Gypsy House Hubb. Used to be Freddy’s Place. “Pesticide Freddy” the kids know him as. He was always spraying his roundup and seven dust on his collard greens back in the day…thought that was the only way to garden. He had no idea what us hippies were doing over here for so many years. He just figured we were young and unexperienced with gardening. He had never heard of permaculture and didn’t quite understand it when it was explained to him. He was a simple man. Poor Freddy. Those Aldi eggs sure weren’t worth the dollars they saved to try to keep that man healthy. He lost all he had to doctor bills and ended up getting kicked out of the trailer park before collapse hit because he couldn’t pay his rent. We hated to see him go. That trailer was one of the first plots we were able to buy. He was the first to leave the trailer park next to us. We took some of the Diner money and started renting out his lot and trailer each month. We began storing dry goods and lumber over there at first. A place to keep things dry, really. Then Roamer decided he was gonna take the leap, make the move, and begin working in Upstate SC. He scooped up one of the trailers for rent behind the Gypsy House. That was the beginning of our community.

———————————————————————————————————————

I plan to write, possibly CO-WRITE with LD a work of Fiction, the dream of the future of the Foxstead as we envision it.  Hope you’ll join us for the ride.  The bliss has returned.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Foxstead Chronicle BEGINS!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 02:58:03 AM »
A 1-2 PUNCH from the Wife-Husband Blogging Team of Gypsy Mama of The Butterchurn and Lucid Dreams  of Epiphany Now both UP on the Diner Blog as Feature Articles!

These two articles, The Fox Den by Lucid Dreams and The Foxstead Chronicles 1 by Gypsy Mama are the first Revelation of what has been going on Behind the Curtain here on the Doomstead Diner for quite some time, the planning and execution of the SUN  :icon_sunny: Project.

A little before I was planning on making this a Publicly known thing, but ah, the ENTHUSIASM OF YOUTH prevails here...

I am EXCITED too.  It is all coming together here now on the Diner.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Foxstead Chronicles: The Fox Den
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:18:02 AM »
This is an exciting development, GM.  What a wonderful epiphany to have that you are already where you belong.

Several questions I have for you and LD... I know you guys are into Permaculture, are either of you certified?  Is that something that is at all of interest?  Would you want to host a Permaculture design course at your place, either before or after the new property was purchased?
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:28 AM »
This is an exciting development, GM.  What a wonderful epiphany to have that you are already where you belong.

Several questions I have for you and LD... I know you guys are into Permaculture, are either of you certified?  Is that something that is at all of interest?  Would you want to host a Permaculture design course at your place, either before or after the new property was purchased?

I have a certificate of completion for a permaculture program with no precedence in the permaculture community..at least to my knowledge.  But no, I don't have a PDC, and yes I want one, and YES we would love to host one here.  Are you offering to teach it?  We could easily put up 20 people or so in tents, and I've got a plethora of permaculture projects and digs cookin' in my mind.  I don't have a "plan" on paper for this property...but I have one in my head. 

The next move, as far as the Foxstead goes, is buying the land behind us.  I've got to find out how much that fucker wants for it.  Think it's 50 acres...nothing but pasture butting up to hundreds of acres of pine forest.  Across the street however, there is land that is for sale, and it's got a large pond on it.  We can explore the details of the land, and acquiring it, on the SUN/Foxstead boards.  Don't wanna give the details away for free :icon_mrgreen:

At any rate, basically GM finally warmed up to the possibilities here...where we are...as a direct result of Roamer being here and us working together for a couple of hours moving Earth.  There is simply no reason for us to go anywhere, and there is no reason why we can't turn this property, with the addition of either the front or back property, into a Foxstead.  In fact, there is a possibility that we could buy the trailer park next to us and have 6 trailers ready for people to move into.  Or just use some of the acreage behind us for the camp ground idea straight from the prospectus.  Only thing is it would be about half the acreage, so we scale down to that, and get moving now.  I'm gonna look into gettin' my mother or father or both to buy the land for now.  Or maybe we can get some resident Diner Doomer Boomers to put some money on the line and invest for cryin' out loud.  Ima work on finding out how much money it's gonna take. 

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:51:38 AM »
Sounds fantastic.

From your drawing you indicate you're close to an interstate?  How far down that road is the closest big (100K+) city?  Hopefully the road is not raised too high that people migrating along the road would see the resources.  Otherwise it's gorilla planting of fast-growing trees to block line of site.

How big is the trailer park, area-wise, a parking spaces?

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:05:53 AM »
Lots of enthusiasm here, for sure.

The interstate is not nearly as close as it is in the drawing.  I basically just sketched out the nearby resources that I think could be useful to the project.  Line of sight from the interstate would not reveal our location.  You can't even see the local farmer and his production from the interstate.

I am horrible, downright embarrassing when it comes to math.  Scale kind of falls into that line, too.  When LD comes home from class, I'm sure he could answer the questions involving numbers so that I don't cause any confusion with "guesstimation."

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »
Sometimes you have to dream it before you can build it. A very good post GM. So sorry about the eczema. One of my daughters suffers with that, although it's better now that she has gotten really strict with her diet.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 10:56:43 AM »
Sounds fantastic.

From your drawing you indicate you're close to an interstate?  How far down that road is the closest big (100K+) city?  Hopefully the road is not raised too high that people migrating along the road would see the resources.  Otherwise it's gorilla planting of fast-growing trees to block line of site.

How big is the trailer park, area-wise, a parking spaces?

Interstate 85 is approximately 8 miles from us, and I-26 is about 10 miles.  Biggest closest cities would be Asheville NC at 70 miles and Charlotte NC at 70 miles from our location.  Although Greenville and Spartanburg are pretty large and we have GSP which is an international airport 25 miles from us. 

The trailer park has 6 trailers on about a 5 acre spread.  Agelbert did a lot of research for us on our area and we started a thread with that research on the SUN board I believe.  I'll find it and post our address and GPS so ya'll can have a look at what we're talkin' bout via space. 

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »

I have a certificate of completion for a permaculture program with no precedence in the permaculture community..at least to my knowledge.  But no, I don't have a PDC, and yes I want one, and YES we would love to host one here.  Are you offering to teach it? 

That's where I was heading with those questions.  ;) I do have an official design certificate so I am authorized to teach the PDC and hand out the same.  In all honesty however there are a lot of people more qualified to teach the course, if they would be willing, and I would be very happy to assist them; if none are willing, I would love to teach the course myself.  Provided, of course, that we could find sufficient number of people interested in taking the course.  Any Diners interested?

We could easily put up 20 people or so in tents, and I've got a plethora of permaculture projects and digs cookin' in my mind.  I don't have a "plan" on paper for this property...but I have one in my head. 

20 people is way more than sufficient; I'd probably want to limit it to a few less than that if it came to that.  However, that does bring up the question, what is the reasonable tenting season in your location?

The next move, as far as the Foxstead goes, is buying the land behind us.  I've got to find out how much that fucker wants for it.  Think it's 50 acres...nothing but pasture butting up to hundreds of acres of pine forest.  Across the street however, there is land that is for sale, and it's got a large pond on it.  We can explore the details of the land, and acquiring it, on the SUN/Foxstead boards.  Don't wanna give the details away for free :icon_mrgreen:

I definitely agree, and if I determine there is sufficient interest to hold a PDC there, I would take this discussion over there also.  (Yes, I would finally pony up for the SUN board because at that point I could make an argument the fee was a Legitimate Tax-Deductible Business Expense against my income from the PDC.)  In addition, I'm thinking I would offer a discount of around $110 for the course to anyone who was a member of the SUN board.  (A direct contribution for other people would not be quite so deductible, but people would be silly not to take that deal.)

At any rate, basically GM finally warmed up to the possibilities here...where we are...as a direct result of Roamer being here and us working together for a couple of hours moving Earth.  There is simply no reason for us to go anywhere, and there is no reason why we can't turn this property, with the addition of either the front or back property, into a Foxstead.  In fact, there is a possibility that we could buy the trailer park next to us and have 6 trailers ready for people to move into.  Or just use some of the acreage behind us for the camp ground idea straight from the prospectus.  Only thing is it would be about half the acreage, so we scale down to that, and get moving now.  I'm gonna look into gettin' my mother or father or both to buy the land for now.  Or maybe we can get some resident Diner Doomer Boomers to put some money on the line and invest for cryin' out loud.  Ima work on finding out how much money it's gonna take.
If it's not going to take that much, that could be a great selling point, you might not want to keep that a secret.  If the price is going to be daunting, though, maybe that should be revealed just to people who are already committed to the project.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline GypsyMama

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
    • The Butterchurn
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:50 PM »
Sometimes you have to dream it before you can build it. A very good post GM. So sorry about the eczema. One of my daughters suffers with that, although it's better now that she has gotten really strict with her diet.

As soon as we are set with LD scoring us insurance, I'm finally going to take every food allergy test they offer.  Heck...any and ALL allergy tests I can gather.  We were close to finding out my allergies before LD resigned from the Matrix, but then I took a Claritin just before the test after leaving a house with cat dander, who claimed their cats stayed outside.  I couldn't breathe and had to take the Claritin.  Ruined any chance I'd have of getting a logical test result.

Eczema is just evil.  If I were alive in ages past, they'd have burned me at the stake for questionable witchery.

I'm workin' on it...getting tired of trying to find relief  though, I'll tell ya that.  Mine is stress induced, and we have a newborn I'm still getting to know...so I'm all sorts of flared up at the moment.  Sucks.  Thanks for your concern.

Happy to finally see this place for what it is, too.  Lots of options around...we were just meant to move here, I suppose.  Feeling good about a chance to get a few of the Diners here...or to perhaps host some permaculture classes.  That sounds wonderful. 
I would love to have a certificate someday.  Just watching a class in action would be enough for now, though.  Hope we can host a design course, for sure.  I think having one as soon as possible would be best.  We have a lot of ideas that we could use some help with.  We also really want to get this plan into action. 

We want to get some videos rolling for a YouTube channel, too.  I was thinking of doing a demo for a hugelculture bed.  We have a dry creek bed out there right now that could possibly bring in some interest.  Lots to think about. Excitement is high.  I have large dreams of this becoming the first location toward the cause.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »

That's where I was heading with those questions.  ;) I do have an official design certificate so I am authorized to teach the PDC and hand out the same.  In all honesty however there are a lot of people more qualified to teach the course, if they would be willing, and I would be very happy to assist them; if none are willing, I would love to teach the course myself.  Provided, of course, that we could find sufficient number of people interested in taking the course.

We are looking to get Toby Hemenway for a Podcast.  We can ask him if he would like to teach it.  Even if he doesn't have time, during that Podcast we can advertise it.  I'm sure some fans of Toby would be interested.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
We are looking to get Toby Hemenway for a Podcast.  We can ask him if he would like to teach it.  Even if he doesn't have time, during that Podcast we can advertise it.  I'm sure some fans of Toby would be interested.

That would be truly amazing if Toby agreed to teach the class.  That would really place the Doomstead Diner on the map.  I shudder to think what the students' reactions would be if they were expecting someone of Toby's caliber and they got me instead, though.   :P

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »

That would be truly amazing if Toby agreed to teach the class.  That would really place the Doomstead Diner on the map.  I shudder to think what the students' reactions would be if they were expecting someone of Toby's caliber and they got me instead, though.   :P

I would not advertize Toby as Instructor until after I got his agreement to teach the Workshop.  Also need to find out how much he would want in compensation.

If he did agree though, I would of course PLUG THE LIVING SHIT out of it.  It's a Gift.  LOL.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 06:51:24 AM »
well I'd have to drum up some local interest in permaculture which I've been unable to do.  I'm just not the best when it comes to seeking out other people.  Or would I?  I know I've looked into traveling to another state for the PDC.  As far as I know I'd have to go to Asheville where I did my permaculture training to find a PDC.  The people who held the "permaculture in action" teach a PDC but they do it over a long period of time.  They teach it twice a week for hour and a half classes and allow you to pay 30 dollars per class (I think) if you can't cover the cost upfront.  It's a great way to go, but I'd have to drive 280 miles a week to attend and I'm not going to do that.  Asheville is 70 miles from here.

So we talked about possibly having a class here, but it all fizzled out and I lost contact with them.  Thing is they really showed no interest in traveling to teach permaculture.  People in Asheville tend to not leave Asheville for any reason, which I completely understand.  There's plenty of interest there, and so permaculture teachers stay plenty busy locally, which local community is a big part of the permaculture/transition picture.  During PIA (permaculture in action) there were six other people who had traveled as far or further than I.  Two of them were from Atlanta Georgia and four were from Charlotte NC (which is actually a good 40 miles or so further away although in the same state).  Point is, people are willing to travel for permaculture because of it's relative scarcity.

So John, how much would you charge per person?  I say we plan for you to teach the class (if we get Toby awesome).  I'd also say we could maybe do it in the fall.  I'm done with micro Aug 25th and I'll be free until Jan 2014.  So the fall would be perfect.  We could maybe plan it for the fall equinox Convocation and just have the Convocation here?  GM and I would be open to that.